Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Heres a quick question from a newer Subaru owner.

I've recently bought a 2002 2.5 NA Impreza Wagon and I love the drat thing to death. Upon getting it I changed out the diff fluids, drained and filled the transmission, replaced the air filter and changed the oil. Then I took it out and got as much mud as possible on it.

My question is how the engine acts. My 2.5NA seems to be a little sluggish between 0-2500rpm. After around 2500rpm it takes off. Sometimes it seems almost like it just doesn't rev very quickly, even in neutral.

This is of course completely different to my old 2.0L Mazda which would zip zip zip up to 6500rpm very quickly.

Is this just how the boxer engine behaves or is there some sort of maintenance I should be looking at? Right now the engine layout is making me :psyduck: every time I look at it so I'm not exactly sure where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ab0z posted:

Disclaimer: my wife threw away all my flannel.

1995 Subaru Impreza Wagon 1.8
Paid $850 for it 2 years ago with 190k miles.
Here's the day after I bought it:

and 40k miles later, here's a trip from this summer:

FWD or AWD?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

edit: poo poo double post

SubaruTex
Apr 23, 2002
This is my kind of thread!

My Stable:

1986 GL Wagon w/ 3" Lift, EJ22 MPFI engine swap + More...

I bought this car 8 years ago, it was my first. Paid a staggering $500 for it. Since then its slowly been built into what it is today. Full mod list here: http://www.prjct1.com/tex.php Also was the first, and only 'old school' feature in Subiesport to date.

1987 RX Coupe w/ EJ20G engine swap, 4.11 Gears + More...

I love this car. Bought it non-running. Haltech gave the previous owner issues. It now runs great, and puts down a healthy 175hp and 200 ft/lbs on my area's heartbreaker mustang dyno. I have plans to put coilovers on it, and move up from the stock small turbo to a 16g. However, I also have plans to sell it to pay off some debt.

1983 Brat undergoing surgery...

There has been a thread or two on here about this one, however I'm horrible about keeping track of the threads, and keeping them alive. Progress has been steady, but slow. I'm currently fitting a new rear subframe to it. I envy posters like Fuzzkill for their ability to make progress quickly, and remember to take pictures while doing it!

Wifes 2001 2.5rs Coupe

I'm slowly biding my time with this one. Wife won't really let me doing anything to it. Most of that is ok, cause its an AT, not very fun to drive. Great for her in Seattle traffic though. It has dreams of a WRX or STI swap. Only mods so far are the morette headlights, and carbon hood. Both fix the damaged goods that were on it when we bought the car.

Brother's 1986 XT Turbo

I picked this car up free from a chance encounter at a Wendy's. I originally wanted to grab the motor for my first RX project (cause I went through blocks like underwear) and to part the rest of the car. Went and picked the car up, and was very surprised by the condition. I couldn't bring myself to dismantle it. I was able to be the best big brother ever and give it to my bro for his 17th bday. Since then its gotten routine maintenance, new tires, converted the car from air suspension to struts/springs, and of course, the Seahawk graphics.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

8ender posted:

Heres a quick question from a newer Subaru owner.

I've recently bought a 2002 2.5 NA Impreza Wagon and I love the drat thing to death. Upon getting it I changed out the diff fluids, drained and filled the transmission, replaced the air filter and changed the oil. Then I took it out and got as much mud as possible on it.

My question is how the engine acts. My 2.5NA seems to be a little sluggish between 0-2500rpm. After around 2500rpm it takes off. Sometimes it seems almost like it just doesn't rev very quickly, even in neutral.

This is of course completely different to my old 2.0L Mazda which would zip zip zip up to 6500rpm very quickly.

Is this just how the boxer engine behaves or is there some sort of maintenance I should be looking at? Right now the engine layout is making me :psyduck: every time I look at it so I'm not exactly sure where to start.

Don't worry about it, that's just how the NA 2.5 boxer motor is. My Forester is the exact same way.

The engine layout may look weird, but they're not very hard to work on :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

TurboLuvah posted:

Don't worry about it, that's just how the NA 2.5 boxer motor is. My Forester is the exact same way.

Its weird though, because its not lacking in power, its just delivers it oddly. On the highway when its already turning around 3000rpm its a beast when you put your foot into it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

VideoTapir posted:

FWD or AWD?

All Wheel Drive, High five!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Me-262 posted:

Does that Subie in the back there have a roof scoop mod?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
As I've posted before, I'm looking at an '02 Impreza Outback Sport with a few minor blemishes. It's cheap and rugged and would be my first Subaru. All the interior stuff seems to work fine, and the engine sounds clean sitting in neutral and drove fine with the AC cranked in 31'C (88'F) weather.

I've got two major problems with the car before I pull the trigger:

1. When I put the clutch in, the shifter starts to shake as the clutch leaves the lock point. The PO said that this is because the "neutral return spring" has gone and he had already replaced it once. When in neutral the shifter feels very "loose" but notches into gear properly, which seems consistent with a missing spring or something in the assembly. I'll be looking at the service records during my second test drive this weekend. If it's just a simple matter of putting in the spring and tightening down a linkage, then it's no big deal, but especially since this is the second time it's happened, I'm worried this is a harbinger of transmission death.

2. About how long should the 2.5L in that car last? He's kept up with all the service intervals (even replacing spark plug wires) but the car has 192,000 km (119k mi) on it, which is pretty heavy (although he's made a cross-country move with it). He's replaced the head gasket with the more durable one (out of warranty, pre-emptively).

And I have a few other questions:
- Is the clutch supposed to be so heavy? It's perfectly drivable and fun, but I was surprised compared to a Chevy Cavalier (although that clutch is terrible).
- Is the weather stripping at the top of the doors something I should be looking at replacing? The frameless window just seems to sit "on top" of it and it seems like rain would get in.

Thanks, guys. Really excited to get a car that doesn't suck.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Ziploc posted:

Whats going on here? Is this some sort of test rig?

You mean the car? Yeah sort of. It's an 08 sti with a lot of neat parts. The turbo is a new thing from atp (they use Garrett center housings) and that was one of the first ones to go on a Subaru.

Here it is in the car:

It's just an open dump so it sounds loving ridiculous.

fatlightning posted:

I have a 97 legacy gt sedan with 80k miles on it. It runs great and ive never had to do anything to it other then replace two rotors(my fault). I am a little worried about this head gasket issue, mainly because I don't think I could afford the repairs. I don't drive it hard, and always do scheduled maintenance. How worried should i be about blowing a head gasket?

Unfortunately, it will very likely happen sometime in the next 40k miles.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 3, 2008

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

uc0083 posted:

Now I'm very much not a subaru guy (but I'm not a NOT subaru guy, if that makes sense), and I have a question here: the strip going across the header, what's the deal with that? Why would you want that there? Does the stock exhaust manifold have something similar? Do the crazy lightweight rally-types remove that bar entirely? I think I'd want to have it gone.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

MrSaturn posted:

Now I'm very much not a subaru guy (but I'm not a NOT subaru guy, if that makes sense), and I have a question here: the strip going across the header, what's the deal with that? Why would you want that there? Does the stock exhaust manifold have something similar? Do the crazy lightweight rally-types remove that bar entirely? I think I'd want to have it gone.

Might just be a shipping thing? It looks like it would interfere with the oil pan and stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah, you take that off before you install the headers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kimbo305 posted:

It's probably a roof vent for the interior due to a removed A/C system.
Local guy here has one on his (still street legal) rally car.
Taking a sawzall to a roof seems scary.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This is the worlds most stock WRX having it's neck wrung. And driver having fun beating up STI's

Looking very seriously at another WRX because it tickles me to have one of the few WRX's in the world completely and utterly unmodified.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

8ender posted:

Its weird though, because its not lacking in power, its just delivers it oddly. On the highway when its already turning around 3000rpm its a beast when you put your foot into it.

That's just a Subaru thing, and it's normal. Once you get used to where the power starts coming on, you completely forget about it until you drive something else.

Where the power band comes in handy is taking off from a stop in slippery conditions, since it gives the wheels a bit more time to find grip and really cuts down on wheelspin.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

This is the worlds most stock WRX having it's neck wrung. And driver having fun beating up STI's

Looking very seriously at another WRX because it tickles me to have one of the few WRX's in the world completely and utterly unmodified.

go buy some whiteline parts already. You won't regret it. And find some way to get like -2.5 degrees of negative camber up front.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Yes. He's been slowly turning it into a rally car. Started off as a 94L with 1.8 I believe , has a Ver 6 ? in it right now. In the past year he caged it and I think he ran his first rally this summer.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
To those praising stock WRXes, why the hell would you want to keep it stock? Even just a tune really wakes the engine up.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

oRenj9 posted:

To those praising stock WRXes, why the hell would you want to keep it stock? Even just a tune really wakes the engine up.

"Stock" is far less likely to mean "abused."

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

go buy some whiteline parts already. You won't regret it. And find some way to get like -2.5 degrees of negative camber up front.

It's not a race car and besides, when these STI's with loads of suspension mods get beaten by the stocker..... I dont see the point. It fits my belief you learn how to drive the rear end off the car and it will reward you far beyond what you will expect it can. Almost no-one with a WRX ever truly finds out exactly just how far they can be pushed when you drive them the way they want to be driven.

The real thing that will make it work better is diffs. And I ain't touching THAT until..... lets just say there's going to be a lack of a VR4 for me soon.

And the loving legendary strut knock. That's gotta be fixed -_-

quote:

Step into my passenger seat and I'll show you why I couldn't care less :D

But really, unless your on a drag strip or on a big power circuit, it's already going to barrel into corners much quicker than the average driver can cope with. However, I'm not unfamiliar with what a tune can do, the other WRX I have access to is tuned for about another 20Kw with exhaust. It still doesnt tickle me to do it. Embarrassing the hell out of another modded STI sure does tho. Plus it's my daily driver and I'd like to have as little potential problems as possible

But as it may, didnt prevent a loving CEL appearing today. WTF?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Modding Question: I know I have asked before but I can't find the thread.

I have an 05 WRX with a Borla hush cat-back and a Cobb accessport. I'm looking for what to do next that is cheap and will offer the most gains. I was thinking I would do up and down pipes (and a remap to stage 2). Is that the best bang for the buck? I'll basically be looking for cheap/used parts. What should I expect for install time(paying someone else to do it)?

Bampalo
Mar 7, 2001

Remember: everyday that you wake up, proves that God doesn't exist.

SubaruTex posted:

1987 RX Coupe w/ EJ20G engine swap, 4.11 Gears + More...

Holy crap, I didn't know anybody even gave these a second thought. More please.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

Modding Question: I know I have asked before but I can't find the thread.

I have an 05 WRX with a Borla hush cat-back and a Cobb accessport. I'm looking for what to do next that is cheap and will offer the most gains. I was thinking I would do up and down pipes (and a remap to stage 2). Is that the best bang for the buck? I'll basically be looking for cheap/used parts. What should I expect for install time(paying someone else to do it)?

Do up and downpipes, and get a larger intercooler (grab a used STI one on the cheap they're all over), and get it dyno tuned and you will be a happy camper once again.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Here's my 2 month old '08 WRX. We have the option here of the "Euro spec" 2.5 manual or the JDM 2.0 S-GT, which is an auto. I went for the manual. Totally stock and i'm leaving it alone. Maybe some red film for the tail lights and getting the rear chrome strip resprayed to body colour. It's got the sports grille on the front.

I quite like this car. It's pretty comfy, spacious enough for me and has a little bit of power if i need to move.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Had an '87 GL wagon in college. Perfect car aside from the horrible 3 speed automatic. I promised myself I'd never buy another Subaru with an automatic ever again.

In 20 years Subaru managed to cram one extra cog into their slushbox, and it too was pure rubbish.

I really wanted to like my '06 Forester Premium, but the horrible automatic transmission simply wouldn't allow me to, so it went bye bye and I traded it for an '04 WRX wagon with a proper 5 speed manual transmission and things are good in da hood again.

I really don't drive my WRX much these days. It sits in the garage most of the time as I typically get around by my Honda Express SR scooter. Now that it's getting colder, maybe it'll see more gravel road time.

My WRX is still stock and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

My 04 in some field in kansas. Anyone know where I can get a new tail light assembly? Somehow it was broken in the lot the other day. 2 days earlier some drunk ran over my roof and dented it as well as my tailgate. My wagon has had a tough few weeks. I am gonna miss it when I go to Afghanistan.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

SubaruTex posted:

1986 GL Wagon w/ 3" Lift, EJ22 MPFI engine swap + More...

Holy loving funhog!

As for the modding, I would swear I get better gas mileage with the Cobb plumbing and Cobb flash. Honestly, I can't see why Subaru doesn't just sell (a version of) the car this way. The car has gone from capable to positively willful. It just wants to be flung at everything.

I would like to get to a dyno, but I think it would have to be a day trip to get to an awd unit.

Bampalo
Mar 7, 2001

I waited about a year after getting my 05 before doing anything racing related. And now that I have, expensive new addiction ahoy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bampalo posted:

I waited about a year after getting my 05 before doing anything racing related. And now that I have, expensive new addiction ahoy.

ah good ol rocks. I remember personally clearing up like 50 lbs of coconut-sized rocks for you AWD assholes tearing up the place :)

Bampalo
Mar 7, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

ah good ol rocks. I remember personally clearing up like 50 lbs of coconut-sized rocks for you AWD assholes tearing up the place :)

coconut pile:

Click here for the full 900x600 image.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can someone explain Subaru's priorities with racing programs?

They're doing ok in WRC, but seem to be really down to Mistubishi in PWRC, which is arguably a better measure of the real world quality of STis and the whole line down.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

burtonos posted:

Holy loving funhog!

As for the modding, I would swear I get better gas mileage with the Cobb plumbing and Cobb flash. Honestly, I can't see why Subaru doesn't just sell (a version of) the car this way. The car has gone from capable to positively willful. It just wants to be flung at everything.

I would like to get to a dyno, but I think it would have to be a day trip to get to an awd unit.

So you finally modded that car, let me guess the warranty ran out?

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

when these STI's with loads of suspension mods get beaten by the stocker..... I dont see the point. It fits my belief you learn how to drive the rear end off the car and it will reward you far beyond what you will expect it can.

I very much agree. I learned to drive on the track with the 97 Legacy, 220km on the mushy suspension and all. Lapped more than one modded WRX and STi along the way. Push a car to its limits THEN start modding it.

Here's the 05 on OEM suspension at a race school, in the rain no less. Instructors laughed at it when I first pulled up then after a few lap sessions everyone wanted to come for a ride. I will admit while its not bad at the track OEM Forester supsension is insane on a Solo II course especially a slalom.

Can't say I was as concerned about running Solo II with worn out suspension and bald RE92's in the Legacy. This was an exposition day designed to attract "young people" to the sport. The Legacy was able to put down better times than many a modified Civic or other assorted hot hatch.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

TurboLuvah posted:

So you finally modded that car, let me guess the warranty ran out?

Nah, i just wanted to wake it up a little.

I took it to the dealer for an oil change and a service, nobody said anything about it. Now the 08 with the brand new motor put in, that was a different story. Honestly, how do you blow up a Subaru motor in 3 months?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

burtonos posted:

Nah, i just wanted to wake it up a little.

I took it to the dealer for an oil change and a service, nobody said anything about it. Now the 08 with the brand new motor put in, that was a different story. Honestly, how do you blow up a Subaru motor in 3 months?

Easily, you have no idea what you're doing and immediately throw a turboback exhaust and a wicked sweet BOV (vented 100% atmosphere), then go and do a bunch of 7500rpm AWD clutch dumps at every single stoplight. I've seen so many shithead ricers doing this poo poo.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
To clarify, whose car was having the replacement motor installed? Another customer?

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town
a/s/l? pics pls? ops?

Also a question, I want to change my diff/trans oil soon, what kind of oil have you guys put in your Subaru's that you were happy with?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

funkyboogaloo posted:

Also a question, I want to change my diff/trans oil soon, what kind of oil have you guys put in your Subaru's that you were happy with?

OEM or OEM equivalent grade and weight. I've used Valvoline synthetic gear oils without incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

funkyboogaloo posted:

I use the Subaru OEM 75w-90 Gear Oil for the diff/trans. https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_92&products_id=1073

I split it with a bunch of local friends since we all own subarus.

Pics:

Still waiting to install my RCE Tarmac 2 coilovers and throw on some Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links. I love it how most of the pictures are auto-x/track photos.