Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ab0z posted:

Should I write the check?" and they took it. (he later sold the car for 23k after fixing 2-3 minor cosmetic items).

Suckers take 18.5k personal checks. Anything past 2k people should ask for a money order or bank check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

kimbo305 posted:

Suckers take 18.5k personal checks. Anything past 2k people should ask for a money order or bank check.

Well he didn't actually say "should I write the check", it was more like "do you want this stack of money and cashiers checks?". The point is that money talks and if the seller knows you're serious and sees money they're more likely to sell immediately at a lower price.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ab0z posted:

Well he didn't actually say "should I write the check", it was more like "do you want this stack of money and cashiers checks?".
Wait he carries a book of cashier's checks around? Or he went to the bank and got one made out to the amount ahead of time?

I wouldn't be moved to sell by anyone offering to buy a car of significant value by writing a personal check to me in that amount; I'd think it was possibly a scam. The whole I-have-cash-in-my-pocket works better for amounts where you can fit the 100s in your pocket.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

Handling wise, the Forester is more limted by tyres. Get rid of the Geolanders, they are terrible.

This.
The stock tires on my '03 Forester X were terrible just from a daily drive standpoint and I don't even want to know how they handle if pushed. After I replaced them, the ride was much better over any kind of uneven surface, and the cabin noise level dropped by about 50% above about 35mph.

I replaced them with a set of good all seasons, and in addition to the improved ride and noise, the Forester is now nigh-unstoppable in snow and ice.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Odd thing happened this morning. I started the car and while I was getting ready to go I noticed the idle oscilating between 1000 and 2000 rpm instead of settling down at 1500 like it usually does when cold. Everything seemed fine driving around to get on the highway but when I was accelerating to merge it seemed like something was holding back the engine. After a couple of seconds it stopped and the I had all my power back. Car was acting completely normal for the rest of the day.

Right now I'm thinking fuel filter but has anyone encountered anything like this before? Its a 2002 NA Impreza Automatic.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
*waves to Tex*

OK, I'm going to vent here because some rear end in a top hat hacked the USMB.

My car is a 1986 GL10 wagon with a 4" lift kit, Legacy 2.2 transplant, fulltime 4WD dual range transmission, kevlar clutch/heavy duty pressure plate, limited slip rearend, and Legacy/XT6 5-lug suspension/brakes wheels with oversize tires. It both hauls and kicks rear end. I've put a lot of work into it, I'm tired of working on it, and I was supposed to go camping this weekend.

I have 4 PAIRS OF FRONT AXLES laying around and an undriveable car. The front axles I had in it were clacking like a hammer drill (they were old when I installed them, the car isn't hard on axles despite the mods!) so I bought two used Legacy axles from a wrecking yard. Then I decided to order new ones from cvaxles.com in Florida and return the wrecking yard axles next week. The cvaxles.com axles arrived a few days ago and are of impeccable quality and I would recommend them to anyone. I installed those axles and they were TOO drat LONG!
My car needs XT6 front axles and I'd put so many different parts in the car that I forgot what I had put in in the first place and had acquired two useless pairs of Legacy axles. WHOOPS.

I then bought two XT6 axles from Napa and put one in and HOLY poo poo THE AXLE NUTS WON'T THREAD ON gently caress!! gently caress!! d!$#xf%d@^bhbjn%&bwy5hfTUIERTYaerfv*i$^&%heh#v^%gbstgh@$y@ (this was what I actually said)
A1Cardone, which is run by a bunch of inbred halfassed thumbless FUCKTURKEYS apparently hates my guts and wants me to fail at everything in life. I feel the same way about them.

So now I am going to:
return the wrecking yard axles
return the Napa axles, possibly by throwing them through the big plate glass window at 3am tonight
mail the CVaxles.com axles back
mail my wagon's original mystery whateverthefucktheywere axles to CVaxles.com and have those rebuilt since I know they %^&%G^$@ fit in the car
Go to a different wrecking yard and chisel the halfshafts out of a Legacy's front axles so I can put in falsies to keep the front wheels on for 2 weeks and drive my car in rear wheel drive until I get my drat axles back.

I hope that it's MUCH MUCH colder outside and possibly raining when I do the last axle change, because the only thing that I love more than slamming my head into sharp greasy protrusions under my car is slamming my head into sharp greasy protrusions under my car IN THE loving COLD AND RAIN and maybe even in the dark. OH YEAH!

Sincerely,
baccaruda

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The more I've been working on the various turbo Subarus, the more I realize the incredible amount of work to make everything even barely accessible, a turbo boxer is a packaging nightmare, even more so with modifications like a larger turbo and under-manifold inlet piping.

Also Perrin's FMIC kit cost more than my awd turbo car and its registration.

baccaruda posted:

Sincerely,
baccaruda

we don't do this here :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Baby Hitler posted:

The more I've been working on the various turbo Subarus, the more I realize the incredible amount of work to make everything even barely accessible, a turbo boxer is a packaging nightmare, even more so with modifications like a larger turbo and under-manifold inlet piping.
My last car was a VW. The Subaru is a packaging dream to me.
It's all about perspective

Wait, I don't have to pull the motor for a clutch?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm not touching Cusco except if it's in the diffs

The motor and transmission mounts are very good. They use captive bushings instead of rubber stuck to plates and I think they're better than the group n ones.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 18, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Picked up the car today, so far I like it a lot. Can't wait to put the shifter and bushings in it, and have a catless up waiting, along with a catless downpipe, STI TMIC,and a new boost control solenoid.

Gonna need to get it tuned soon.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
A few pictures from yesterday:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

tristram.mp3 posted:

This looks like a video game with motion blur turned on.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

What kind of experience have you guys had customer service-wise? The more I read about VW kind of being assheads to their customers, the less I want one. I haven't heard much about Subaru service, though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Nostratic posted:

What kind of experience have you guys had customer service-wise? The more I read about VW kind of being assheads to their customers, the less I want one. I haven't heard much about Subaru service, though.

The dealership near me (London Subaru) was developing a reputation for being absolutely brutal for customer service until either the owner picked up on it or Subaru corporate clamped down. They got a new building, bad employee's were fired, and the owner even posted in some local Subaru forums pledging to not suck so much in the future.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My mom has a Subaru Outback, it's just the stock NA one.

Above 3k RPM the car whistles, it kind of reminded me of a turbo, but the car is NA.

What could be causing that sort of issue?

GroceryBagHead
Nov 28, 2000

TractionControl posted:

My mom has a Subaru Outback, it's just the stock NA one.

Above 3k RPM the car whistles, it kind of reminded me of a turbo, but the car is NA.

What could be causing that sort of issue?

My guess would be side mirrors. Mine sometimes whistle with a super annoying pitch.

This is my 2008 WRX. My first manual (and the one I actually own) car. I love it very much.

http://khabarov.ca/images/my-wrx/Car%20002%20(Medium).jpg

GroceryBagHead fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 19, 2008

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

OK, I feel like a total idiot to have to ask, but I am lost trying to change the oil in my 01 Legacy. I have the chiltons which says I need to remove a plastic cover, but the one they have pictured which looks nice and easy to slide out of the way does not seem to be on my car at all. I don't see any clips to remove and I have no loving idea what to do now. Help?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Isn't there a door on the cover? There should be, but that old I don't know. There are clips that you can take off and the whole undertray slides off.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

ok,i figured it out. there are three big fat plastic screws that do not actually seem to tighten or loosen when spun, but can be easily popped out of their respective holes and when they are out, the panel can be pushed forward to remove. So, with that done I managed to complete the relatively painless oil change. Next step: Pads/rotors. I was just poking around the trunk and found the little jack for the car, but I couldn't locate the lug nut wrench... I assume it is supposed to be next to the jack, yes? If not, where would I find it. And assuming for a moment I do not have one - what size wrench should I go purchase for this?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

you should get a real jack and jackstands. The wheel lug nut uses a 19mm wrench. For the brakes you'll need a 17mm, 14mm, maybe a 12, and some M8x1.25 screws to pop the rotors off if they're stuck good.

You should also do a thorough brake bleed and flush. You should have someone who knows what they're doing help you with that because if you let air into the master cylinder your brakes won't work and it's not an easy fix.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 4, 2009

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Oh, I already have stands/jacks ready, I was just looking for the lug wrench to pull the wheels off.

Why do you suggest a full flush? I expected to have to bleed them when I finished with the change but if a full flush is really needed then I'll do it. What all is involved in a full on flush?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mutar posted:

Oh, I already have stands/jacks ready, I was just looking for the lug wrench to pull the wheels off.

Why do you suggest a full flush? I expected to have to bleed them when I finished with the change but if a full flush is really needed then I'll do it. What all is involved in a full on flush?

Lug wrench might be on top of the spare wheel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mutar posted:

Depends on when you last had your brakes bled. If you don't know the condition/age of the fluid, it'd be worth it to flush it. In this case, I think flush just means to completely replace the fluid. Bleed everything out through the brakes while having someone maintain level in the brake fluid reservoir. edit: And by maintain level, I mean keep feeding in new fluid into the reservoir.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 20, 2008

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

after 7 years brake fluid has a lot of water in it and will boil very easily.

Just run a big bottle of fluid through it. The castrol, valvolene, or any other synthetic dot4 fluids are great.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 20, 2008

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I called the dealership that I ordered the car from earlier to see if there was an updated timeframe. There wasn't. He did say it was in the 5th allotment for them (5th out of 5) and they come in every few weeks, which I would guess means I won't see the car this year in reality. I'll probably call them tomorrow to see if I can get the same price on one that comes into stock. I wouldn't mind so much, because I am starting to waffle a bit on the color. (edit: White versus DGM)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Mr. Powers posted:

So, I called the dealership that I ordered the car from earlier to see if there was an updated timeframe. There wasn't. He did say it was in the 5th allotment for them (5th out of 5) and they come in every few weeks, which I would guess means I won't see the car this year in reality. I'll probably call them tomorrow to see if I can get the same price on one that comes into stock. I wouldn't mind so much, because I am starting to waffle a bit on the color. (edit: White versus DGM)

Dude you can't go wrong with either Alpine White or DGM, they are the two best colors.

Edit: Alpine White with gold (BBS?) 17/18s, a slight drop, red taillamp overlays, slight window tint, and a blacked out sports grill. Car would look so awesome.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Dude you can't go wrong with either Alpine White or DGM, they are the two best colors.

Edit: Alpine White with gold (BBS?) 17/18s, a slight drop, red taillamp overlays, slight window tint, and a blacked out sports grill. Car would look so awesome.

It was Aspen White for 2008, but now it's Satin White Pearl. It is much softer, and I like the Aspen White quite a bit, since my current Impreza is Aspen white. I'd want to trade wheels, though, as the dark wheels don't mesh as well with the light colors.

It would basically take a miracle, though, because the only WRXs coming in are premiums.

The part that disappoints me most is that they've got a $1000 deposit which is "non-refundable". I think if the end of November comes around, I'll tell them to give it back to me, because I am pretty sure by then, I'd be able to pick one up on any lot, and if Village happens to get one sooner that matches, I'll jump on it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The g/f went to an offical launch of the 09 last night - I got there late so I could only have a quick look.

The sedan is.... not too bad in the flesh. A VAST improvement on the hatch. It has split fold rear seats even but a very odd kick in the boot that will limit the size of anything you want to put through.

There is definatly some good handling improvements, 195Kw as standard as they put the STI turbo on AUS delivered WRX's, wider tyres and if I heard right, the rear diff is once again got an LSD in it. Piss tiny intercooler, wich lead to all sorts of "Why the gently caress is the scoop so big for that?????"

Subaru I think gets it that the 08 was a fuckup. The 09 looks to me to be as a sedan at least a pretty tidy improvement. It even looks decent from the rear. Front is still ugly but okay, it's better.

An 08 may become very cheap second hand. The 09 sedan is what they should have had to begin with.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are you sure it's not the VF52 turbo? That's what is on the USDM 2009 WRXs. It has similar components to the STi turbo, but it is not quite the same. I think it shares a compressor or impeller but not the other. Something like that.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
So it's looking more and more like I'm going to pick up a 93-99 Impreza Wagon as a project car when the right one comes along.

My plans are to get into rally racing with it, have some fun wrenching, and take it camping.

From what I can tell it seems like 97-99 are the best years to go for as they have the improved 2.2 and I thought I read somewhere that the suspension and engine bits from the 2.5rs aftermarket bolt right up. Confirm/Deny? The engine part doesn't sound quite right, but still, it doesn't seem like it'll be terribly hard to get i/h/e on there with maybe some headwork, cams, and tune for a little extra fun.

I'm excited about the prospect of my very own project thread :)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am pretty sure that the suspension bits for anything from 93-01 will fit, and newer stuff might work, too, with modification. I think the 2.2 and 2.5 are different enough that a bunch of the upgrades won't work, but there is still probably plenty available.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

I am pretty sure that the suspension bits for anything from 93-01 will fit, and newer stuff might work, too, with modification. I think the 2.2 and 2.5 are different enough that a bunch of the upgrades won't work, but there is still probably plenty available.

It seems to me with Subaru that as long as you stay within the same generation (93-01, 02-07) and model pretty much anything bolts on. Hell sometimes it doesn't even need to be the same model.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Powers posted:

Are you sure it's not the VF52 turbo? That's what is on the USDM 2009 WRXs. It has similar components to the STi turbo, but it is not quite the same. I think it shares a compressor or impeller but not the other. Something like that.

Just quoting what they said from the podium. So my words aint no gospel.

However from the mouths of Asia-Pacifc rally crews in the room, there was a degree of talk about the 07 vs 08 vs EVO's. Consensus was that the 07 is definantly the best handling, the EVO more power. The 08's have some real suspension problems that Tommi Makinen's organization are making "good progress" on finally. Because the suspension is short in drop, the tuning sweet spot is v.hard to find and it's very narrow in settings range. This means that the 08 works for only certain road types.

Apparently the 09 has some changes that address this issue. The Spec C "apparently" is being changed too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wow, 20 years of the STi (well, in Japan):
http://jalopnik.com/5068169/20th-anniversary-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-revealed-for-japan

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

wow, 20 years of the STi (well, in Japan):
http://jalopnik.com/5068169/20th-anniversary-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-revealed-for-japan

I found this video of an STi being "unloaded" from a trailer from that site:
http://jalopnik.com/5064535/crappy-video-shows-crappy-day-for-already-busted-subaru-sti

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CharlesM posted:

I found this video of an STi being "unloaded" from a trailer from that site:
http://jalopnik.com/5064535/crappy-video-shows-crappy-day-for-already-busted-subaru-sti

They would have been better off to gun it inside the trailer and jump it out.

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

He came dancing across the water
Is there any reason I can't for the life of me find any WRXs for sale on craigslist made before 2002? I'm frequently browsing because I know a WRX will be my next car (which may not be for a long time, but there's no harm in familiarizing myself with the market for when the time comes). Seeing as how I currently drive a 2006 civic, however, I'm probably gonna need a long time to convince myself it's a good financial decision to sell my reliable and warranteed gas sipper econobox which I'm still paying off for a fun car with personality that drips raw sex.

Anyways, I'm just curious why I don't see any on craigslist in Van or even Seattle, I did find a couple 1993s on buy and sell but that was it.

P.S. I love WRXs and I wish I never bought this *stupid boring civic

*it really isn't stupid, it's a great reliable gas efficient commuter car which does exactly what I wanted it to do at the time of purchase but have since grown to want more

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

Colawa posted:

Is there any reason I can't for the life of me find any WRXs for sale on craigslist made before 2002?

2002 was the first model year for the WRX trim level of the Impreza in the United States.

The previous chassis Impreza (sold 1993-2001) had a performance trim level known as the 2.5RS that was sold from 1998-2001 in the United States.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Alzabo posted:

2002 was the first model year for the WRX trim level of the Impreza in the United States.

The previous chassis Impreza (sold 1993-2001) had a performance trim level known as the 2.5RS that was sold from 1998-2001 in the United States.

Also the 2.5RS only has the 165hp NA Boxer engine, no turbo. It does however have a limited slip diff and is about 200 lbs lighter than the 02' WRX so its not terribly slow by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

8ender posted:

Also the 2.5RS only has the 165hp NA Boxer engine, no turbo. It does however have a limited slip diff and is about 200 lbs lighter than the 02' WRX so its not terribly slow by any means.

...and it's just loving good looking.