Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
Longtime subaru owner checking in.

Got my first '99 outback (bought it '98) with insurance money after a dude totaled my 1970 Datsun 510 and put me in the hospital with all sort of cartilage missing. This car introduced me to the wonder of the boxer engine and Subaru. It also in a roundabout way got me into Rally racing. I high centered this car on logs, drove it through creeks, autocrossed it, took out several deer, etc - and it never gave me a lick of trouble.

Then came my 2002 WRX, another great car.

Sold that and bought the car I wanted all along, a 2000 RS 2.5 in all the Sti regalia. As a great philosopher once said, "JDM YO".

Then I got a job across the country, so I upgrade to the 2008 TX sports. Drove to and from Maryland without so much of a hesitation to start on the first crank. All I want is the STi strut and spring package and some swaybars, and I'm golden. I should have sprung for an STi, but I had to go against my nature and be somewhat practical.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

BoostCreep posted:

drat this thread. I'm fairly positive I'm going to be trading in my '06 S2000 for a white '08 Forester XT Sports now. I talked my roommate into buying an '07 WRX TR over a year ago and the Forester Sports caught my eye then. I decided against it at the time, but the more I see awesome pictures of those and the more I realize how small my S2000 is, I really want one (with an STI suspension and wheels package.)

This is blasphemy for me though, after having owned an Evo 8 and an Evo 9, along with about 12 other turbo Mitsubishis over the past 8 years. Shame on Mitsubishi for not stuffing a 4G63 and AWD system into every car they make.

The XT is a great car, and for a few grand extra you can make it a really great performer.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
I did something sort of silly this week.

Yep. I know, I know.
It's a 1992 with 150k on the odo. Picked it up for 3k.

Luckily the transmission has been replaced with a Nissan unit, which was basically the same except for it lacks Subaru's dumb little fixed filter that caused their unit to perpetually fail. It's got new rear wheel bearings and struts, vented and drilled rotors, new windshield - and, both outside and in, is in almost showroom condition. There are definitely little door dings on the outside here and there, but the interior is immaculate. I haven't even washed it yet.

So far, I'm really liking it. It's no WRX, but it's low and quiet and doesn't lean at all - which makes looking out over the huge, flat hood feel like you're piloting a spacecraft.

All this being said, I'm squirreling money away, awaiting that first inevitable catastrophic failure of god knows what 17 year old high end japanese hardware/software.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

ab0z posted:

Hold up a second, it has a nissan transmission?

Yeah, from a pathfinder more specifically.

Edit:
I didn't mean it was actually manufactured by Nissan. I worded that wrong. The point is that it doesn't have the filter that caused the Subaru units to fail.

Double edit: Well, They fail for a lot of reasons and mine will fail as well - but having an oil cooler and a filter kit should delay that a bit.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 16, 2009