Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

funkyboogaloo posted:

Also a question, I want to change my diff/trans oil soon, what kind of oil have you guys put in your Subaru's that you were happy with?

I use the Subaru OEM 75w-90 Gear Oil for the diff/trans. https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_92&products_id=1073

I split it with a bunch of local friends since we all own subarus.

Pics:

Still waiting to install my RCE Tarmac 2 coilovers and throw on some Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links. I love it how most of the pictures are auto-x/track photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

So, I heard thru the grapevine (rs25.com - http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91028) that Subaru found a domestic supplier for their OEM oil filters. Previously, they were shipped from Japan and very high quality. I guess the new supplier is Honeywell who makes Fram Oil filters.

Might be time to stock up on the old OEM oil filters if you use them.

The part number for the Tokyo Roki filter is 15208AA100
The part number for the Honeywell filter is 15208AA12A

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I need to pick up a new battery for my '99 2.5rs. Any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy. I'm leaning to the Duralast Gold.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

taqueso posted:

I have a 2000 Impreza Outback Sport. What kind of options do I have for suspension upgrades? This car has a higher ground clearance than a normal Impreza, but I wouldn't mind dropping it an inch or so. Can I use stuff designated for normal Imprezas? Sorry, I'm a suspension noob.

Yes, anything for the pre-'01 imprezas will work for you.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Well, I was checking my fluids and so forth for the auto-x tomorrow and discovered something.

There is a slight tear in the boot on the passenger front side. It looks pretty fresh; but, I've no idea how long its been like this. There is no obvious whining or grinding from that side. I will definitely get it fixed. Is the common suggestion to just replace the axles? This is a '99 2.5RS, so I figure its about time to replace them anyways. Anything else I should get replaced while I have them pulling the axles?

Only upside, I get to co-drive with my friend in his '04 LGT.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I don't know about the bugeyes. But the OEM headlights from Subaru on the older models are clearly stamped. They have "SUBARU" and "Ichikoh" on the glass on the front of the headlight. This is also true for the foglights.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just got back from my first Track Day/Time Trial. My friend has been trying to get me to go with him for about a year. I finally bit the bullet and went with him to NJ Motorsports Park (Thunderbolt). He runs with EMRA and they are definitely a friendly bunch. Was tons of fun and a huge change from auto-x with SCCA NNJR. I'll definitely be trying to go to more in the future. I have alot of room for improvement; but, the car felt good. Unfortunately, no pics of the car on track or anything fun like that. I only have pics of my brake dust covered wheels at the end of the day. They should be bright silver

Fronts

Rears

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

hellaflush yo:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

This car prompted me to register hellafunctional.com and start designing stickers.

Those tires/wheels don't fit :(

This hellaflush thing has been a very popular new trend in the younger subaru crowd.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I think I broke my car :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7bga5Ku8c

I just got back from a NASA/PDA Event at Pocono. 3/4 of the way thru the event, the engine developed a weird clack clack clack sound from the engine bay. There is no discernible loss in power or engine lights. The car is not in limp mode. I changed the oil when I got home as I normally do after an event. Hoping that this would make the noise go away. It did seem to be about 1.5qts low. No metal shards or anything out of the ordinary in the old oil. Smelled fine.

The sound manifests itself as you go up in RPM. There is no sound at idle and it gets worse as you get closer to 3k RPM. I'll be bringing it in of course; but, this sucks.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

bung posted:

I just had my engine replaced due to the same problem. Make sure SOA offers you an extended warranty.

Hehe, I wish this was an option. Its a 1999 2.5RS. Hopefully, I'll be able to drop it off at the shop tomorrow or the day after.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

c355n4 posted:

I think I broke my car :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7bga5Ku8c

I just got back from a NASA/PDA Event at Pocono. 3/4 of the way thru the event, the engine developed a weird clack clack clack sound from the engine bay. There is no discernible loss in power or engine lights. The car is not in limp mode. I changed the oil when I got home as I normally do after an event. Hoping that this would make the noise go away. It did seem to be about 1.5qts low. No metal shards or anything out of the ordinary in the old oil. Smelled fine.

The sound manifests itself as you go up in RPM. There is no sound at idle and it gets worse as you get closer to 3k RPM. I'll be bringing it in of course; but, this sucks.

Well, we found out what happened. Crank bearing 1 and 2 are shot and it looks like 3 overheated. Doesn't seem like anything else got damaged. Next step is to decide what to do in order to fix this. My gut reaction is to rebuild the engine with upgrades that keep within the rules for EMRA. Cost effective? No.

The shop is going to price me out a few options. And I'll make the call.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

RealKyleH posted:

I am thinking about getting one of those canvas wallets in SA mart and think a bugeye WRX drifting around a dirt trail would be awesome. Would prefer it to be silver but I have photoshop so its not an absolute requirement. Anyone got a picture like this?

EDIT:
Heres one:

More is better.

Not my pictures. And you should probably ask him if he is cool with it. Or at least buy one of his posters.

http://kylefunsten.com/photos/prints/

Oh, wait you wanted bugeyes. Funnily enough, I think he has pictures of all the other years.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A question, because I want to see one - I've seen a lot of GC Imprezas get swapped over to a WRX engine but I've never seen a GF wagon get one and Google isn't turning anything up.

I like the looks of the Impreza L and I know they built WRXes on that chassis in Japan, so I can't imagine that it would be much harder than a swap into a 2.5RS (other than perhaps some suspension work).

e: Of course now that I've worked out the chassis code of the wagon, the search got a lot better. :eng99: Here's one. Now to find an Outback Sport conversion with the wacky waist spoiler and superfluous hood vents, a la the JDM Gravel Express.

They exist. There are a bunch over on http://www.rs25.com

A nice example of one is http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t98262-fujis-gf8f5sd.html

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Backno posted:

So I have an '04 Impreza 2.5t and I need to change my spark plugs. Any reccomended brands I should look at picking up?

NGK or OEM.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

MATLAB 1988 posted:

My 1986 Subaru XT turned 100k miles today, here's to another 100,000 miles of glorious head gasket blowing wedge shaped motoring!

It's getting Freon 12 A/C work, some interior refreshing, period-correct paintwork and new factory decals this winter (the factory had TURBO on nearly every panel, also cast into the intake plenum).

Wow, that thing looks clean. Don't see many of these around in that sort of condition. Got any pics of the interior?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

sl0hburn posted:

I have sort of given up looking for an older 2.5RS. Seems they have too many miles or have been modified in a horrible sort of way by their owners.

With the newer Wrx's, say '03-'06 would it be worth it to pony up for the Sti? Seems there is a few thousand dollar difference between the WRX and the Sti but with 50,000-80,000 miles on the car would I come out ahead putting a few thousand in suspension and engine upgrades on a standard WRX?

Seems like someone who bought an Sti in the first place would be more likely to drive the card a bit harder as well.

Took me 4 years to find the right older 2.5RS. I found the seller on ebay; but, did the transaction offline since he was only 75 miles away. As you've noticed, they are not easy cars to find and you will need patience if you really want one.

Where are you looking?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

sl0hburn posted:

I live in SoCal but my office is located in Washington just outside of Portland. Really anywhere on the West Coast as long as I have someone close to go take a look at it. I like to drive and inspect the car before buying anything.

Ah, I'm on the east coast. :(

I've seen a few for sale out here. Nothing amazing though.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

dayman posted:

Well, I'm getting out of the tuner subaru game. My car is going on the block in about a month after I fix the clutch.

Next stop: 05-06 Pontiac GTO

I'll get back into subarus eventually. The GC body style remains one of my favorite Japanese car designs ever. It's just going to be difficult with me starting a job soon to spend so much time performing repairs and tuning. Plus, the GTO will actually get better highway mileage.

I'll still have my beater though:

You're going to miss it heavily.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f4/t61226-never-back-down-never-give.html

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I love the SVX; but, they will be a money pit.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sabotaged posted:

Anyone know anything about ISC coilovers? I'm thinking of buying them off some guy who had them on his Legacy GT for 500 miles, but is selling them because he thought they were too stiff. I've never driven a car with coilovers before, am I going to be in a world of ultra stiff suspension hurt?

Don't do it.

Why do you want coilovers in the first place? Thats the deciding factor.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sockington posted:

That ain't pretty oil. This is from 8ender's 2002 Impreza TS I picked up.

This is pretty oil.

Oh my loving god. :barf:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

today at work was hilarious. The owner of another performance subaru shop brought his car to us because they couldn't get it to start after a motor build.

the first problem was that the fuel lines were connected wrong at the tank, and not even at the pump, after the guy took the wrong cover off and put it back together wrong. So we get fuel to the motor, and it doesn't sound right cranking over, as though the timing was set wrong. So the covers come off, and sure enough the belt is on wrong. additionally, the timing guide was loose and the tensioner was missing a washer, which makes it not actually tension the belt.

put the tensioner and belt on right, and start the car. loud loud bad noises and you can hear the lack of compression in two cylinders while cranking. So this subaru performance shop owner gets to have us tear apart his motor and fix it. guess they won't be at the big subaru meet this weekend in san diego. And this is right after I finished fixing a clutch install the same shop hosed up.

Can we guess the shop?

Does the name begin with a G?

ZombiesAhead posted:

My CV boot is torn on the passenger side of my 04 WRX. I'm a pretty DIY guy with cars but never messed around with an axle before.

Do I want to just buy a whole new axle (remanufactured, probably under $100) or actually deal with taking apart the bearings and stuff?

How soon did you catch it? I noticed a slit in my CV Boot and just replaced that with new grease and boot. If I had not caught it early and it was torn to shreds with no grease, I'd probably go with a new axle.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Amandyke posted:

I got mine too a last week. Don't know why I was expecting metal badges. Not going to use mine either.

I'd probably have paid for metal badges. The plastic is so chintzy.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Going to go check out a few used Forester XTs for the parents this weekend. Have my eyes on two specifically.

2005 Forester XT - 140k miles - $8k (1 owner)
2004 Forester XT - 110k miles - $9.5k

I figure its a crapshoot between the two. No major differences between the '04 and '05 models as I recall. Any thoughts?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Trintintin posted:

HA! 5 grand for that car, yeah right. Every body panel had some sort of a dent on it that he couldn't justify, the right rear quarter was completely rusted through, the left rear quarter was drat close to completely rusted through, it needed a full new exhaust, the motor mounts were all sorts of super worn out, there was some serious clutch issues, the CEL was on from an o2 sensor, the sideskirts were half blown off and hanging on by a thread, and the front bumper had some serious chips in the bottom. After bringing all of this up to him, he said "4500".

So the search continues.

Good luck with the search. To give you an idea.

Three years ago, I paid $4200 private party for my 1999 Impreza 2.5RS. No rust, no mods, all stock. It had 160k on the chassis with and engine rebuild around 130k. They are out there... You're going to be fighting against the idea that the car is "rare" and desirable now.

Personally, I'd stay away from the '98s and shoot for an '00 or '01.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I got the stereotypical P0420 code on my '04 Subaru Outback Wagon. Obvious guess is bad O2 sensor since the car has about 130k miles on it. I've never changed an O2 sensor. Is this something that I could do easily? I understand I'll need an O2 socket. Should I just replace both the front and rear O2 sensor?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

It's still an impreza underneath, but a non-turbo is going to be pretty slow. I think you can reflash them now but it won't be much of a change.

We put a downpipe intake and tuned an fxt the other day and picked up something like 60whp.

You can reflash '05+ NAs. Nothing prior.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

just take off the guide. Pulling the cam gears is a pain in the rear end and more potential to gently caress things up by stripping out the bolt.

impact hammer does the trick for me on those pesky older cars. Usually just using a flat bit right at the seam will knock them apart.

sorry I keep forgetting. Fairly certain the grill we have is this one, and is white:

http://www.aqmotorsports.com/piece-grille-20022003-sedan-wagon-p-2212.html
not sure on wagon vs sedan

also need to see if we have any others in stock.

and holy christ $423 retail, but we're pretty much taking offers on most of the jdm poo poo we've had sitting in stock upstairs. Think we sold a $500 v-limited lip for like $300 recently.

Any stuff for a '99 impreza :p

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

TeMpLaR posted:

Some of you may remember me complaining about my mirror being knocked off by a snowplow, and my car also being keyed. It was keyed again on Monday and I have had enough.

I am having all dents and dings and keying fixed, a full detail done, and then I am selling my World Rally Blue 06 STI. It only has 30K miles on it. I was not doing that car justice by letting it get beat up on street parking. In a few weeks it will be gone, and I will be sad.

In other news if anyone is looking for an STI that was well maintained and has low miles, I'm your guy.

Get a nice Legacy GT and you won't feel so sad.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I threw the Turn In Concepts brake master cylinder brace on today. It was a hell of a job getting it in there, and it's pushing the air pump hose up a little bit where it's currently mounted, and a clip that was supposed to be included wasn't so I ended up having to use a zip-tie.

As for the performance benefit, I can definitely modulate the brakes better - the pedal feel is much firmer - but I'm not sure I'm actually getting much better "feel" out of it. I had one braking run at city speeds where I could clearly feel the brakes bite in, though. I'll try adjusting the plunger a bit more and see if that makes the brakes communicate more.

I don't think the part is intended to improve brake feel so much as it is brake pedal feel, if that makes sense.

That is correct, the brace only changes the pedal feel.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

If you want to see what movement the MCB is stopping. When you are bleeding the brakes. Watch the cylinder when your friend pumps the brakes. You'll see it kinda wiggle and distort. The brace is really a feel thing and doesn't make any performance increase.

I could be wrong though :p

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on Tokico D-Spec's for an 02 wrx? At 109k I'm pretty sure my struts are pas their prime and I wouldn't mind upgrading with something better than stock. I don't really want to mess with Koni hacking up my current struts to use the Koni adjustable inserts.

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TOK-DSP-10

I basically want a nice suspension upgrade with stock springs and just be able to hand the struts to an installer and say "install these please."

You should get these!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042948

Cheaper than anything else out there!

:negative:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

nutnmunch posted:

Are BCs really that bad? I've always considered them to be a step above Megan.

That is not saying much. The way I see it. If you can't/don't want to do the research and shell out the money for a nice set of coilovers (and understand how to set them up). You are most likely better served with a good set of struts and springs that are matched for your car. Personally, I would never DD a car on coilovers.

Just for reference, I run RCE Tarmac 2s (KW V3s with different valving) on my Subaru. But that car only ever sees the road on the way to events. Its a mind gently caress switching between it and the Honda Fit.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

blargle posted:

Is there a decent Subaru performance shop in north NJ? I'd like to just throw a trustworthy shop a few hundred to have them install the basic mods like swaybars/ALK, performance alignment, and kartboy short throw with rear bushings, (all the stuff you need a lift for) as I don't have the room to work on my car anymore.

Akuma Motorsports is in Morganville, NJ. They actually replaced my engine for me. Great guys. I do track events with the owner John. If you end up going to them, tell them Chris says hi. http://akumamotorsports.com/

They also do alignments and corner-balancing.

There is also Broken Motorsports in Union City, NJ. I had them do a little suspension work on my car before Akuma opened up. (Akuma is like 10 minutes from my house). They do not do alignments last I checked. http://www.brokenmotorsports.com/

Another one is AZP Installs. I've never been; but, they've been around for awhile. http://www.azpinstalls.com/

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042948

:psyduck:

This is why I hate what Subaru has become in recent years. Subaru was a completely different world back in 2001. I don't go to any meets and don't plan on it. Who the heck buys a $25k car and buys suspension that costs $400.

Sorry for the rant; but, I hate the Subaru crowd sometimes and it hurts me.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

open24hours posted:

My mum has an '03 Forester (non turbo) that will need a new clutch in a few thousand km, should I advise her to get a new stock clutch or would an aftermarket one be a better choice?

The car is stock and rarely, if ever, gets driven hard.

I went with an aftermarket Exedy OEM replacement. Was cheaper than the stock clutch from Subaru. Amazingly, amazon.com had the best price.

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-KSB04-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B5EMS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1284726718&sr=1-1

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 17, 2010

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

The organic clutches from Exedy are Stage 1 replacement parts. :x

He should be fine with the normal Exedy OEM Replacement part.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Legacy wheels from '97-'04

http://www.wheelcollision.com/sub5.htm

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

All I know, I'd hate to buy proper tires for an 18x10 wheel. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure about that year, but I know modern subarus have to have the bearings pressed into the hubs. If that's the case, to do it yourself will involve removing the knuckle and taking it to a machine shop which may be very frustrating depending on the state of various bolts.

Old ones too, its a PITA if you don't have a good press.