Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Bob Log posted:

Do you honestly think that particular choice is going to fix that problem? I sure doubt it.

I'm sad to hear about your baby, but subarus are generally far more reliable overall even when modded than a GTO. I do know what you mean though as my 02 has been nothing but problems and I decided to sell it off to buy a new 2011. Although I had a prominent Subaru mechanic/Tuner scam me out of money and build me a defunct engine that ended up costing me over 12k and am in legal proceedings with him over it. So I more than had my fill.

Hope it wasn't Raw 1/Axis Performance. The owner skipped country evidently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

Wow, catching up on the thread now. Ron had a pretty solid reputation and has been building motors for years and years.

Yea, bit of a shock.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Amandyke posted:

Yup, that's a TMIC. I appreciate the offer, really, but unless you're getting the FMIC in the next week. I need the bigger intercooler to handle the HTA68 that's on the hybrid I bought from Bob Log.

edit:

In further good news, someone managed to dent my front passenger side fender at a meet on tuesday night.

Click here for the full 1600x1197 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1197 image.

That sucks. Do you know who dented you and are they fixing it?

Someone recently did this to my car at a meet. Somehow backed into my parked car...

At least he is fixing it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Was the A/C running?

^ this, I'm pretty sure the A/C dumps water there. And that guy's price is insane by a few thousand.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

infrared35 posted:

Speaking of rust, should I tackle this, take it somewhere reputable to deal with, or just forget about it?

It's the left rear wheel well on a '99 Impreza Outback Sport. It didn't look that bad before but I've neglected the rust spot all summer and now it looks like it's perforated. How much good could I do with a cordless drill, a paint stripper bit, some sandpaper, and some primer? I'm just afraid I won't be able to pull the rear bumper cover because the screws will be completely rusted to the surrounding metal. :(

I've had the car for more than five years and I was planning on keeping it at least through this winter though I may hold off on a new car until next winter.

Yup, that is the stereotypical spot for our older imprezas. Plastic bumper rubs the metal part there wearing thru the paint. I guarantee, the rust you don't see is far worse. As stated earlier, if you plan on ditching it later. Just live with it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Got any pics of the failed upright?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

One question, you should ask yourself about the used STI. Can you afford for the engine to go? (That bodykit is ugly as sin :x)

Used turbo cars always scare the crap out of me.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

n/m

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 18, 2010

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

blargle posted:

I'm looking to pair some lightweight wheels up with the suspension upgrades to my WRX and use the stock boat anchor wheels for winter. Do the Volk TE-37s seem like a good idea? Rota seems like the most popular brand in the community, but they don't appear to be any cheaper than Volk, unless I'm missing something. Here's the comparison:

Stock 2011 WRX wheel: Cast, 17x8", 22lbs
Rota Grid: Cast, 17x8", 19lbs, ~$700
Volk TE-37: Forged, 17x8, 16.7lbs, ~$700
Volk CE28N: Forged, 17x8, 14.3lbs, ~$750

TE-37s are that cheap? Unless that price is per wheel. But than, I didn't think rotas cost that much either.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 29, 2010

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

blargle posted:

Well then, that makes more sense.

Bet it makes your choice a lot easier.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Should ask if they have any "extra" OEM knobs :p

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1798/time-bandit-jc-meynets-all-conquering-2006-subaru-sti.aspx

Isn't this the car you work on?

*Edit - oh poo poo, nm. You're mentioned in the article.

quote:

- Peter "Jamal" LeClaire from Hellafunctional for his general racecar knowledge and trackside efforts.

Cool

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 17, 2010

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal - Do you have any experience with these CL Brake Pads? I keep hearing about them. Just that their claims seem so... ridiculous to me. I'm perfectly happy with my Carbotech pads.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Tatrakrad posted:

I have a 2010 WRX that came on summer tires that I left at school (New York), while at home (Texas). Will it be okay on plowed roads? I've driven plenty of cars with all seasons and winter tires in snow weather but they were all sub 200hp beaters. I don't know how fast cars, even with 4wd, take to slush.

I only have a few months until I graduate so winter tires are out of the question.

You lose traction, you lose traction. No amount of AWD/4WD is gonna save your rear end. How much you have to drive?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Fixed.

Yo, I was taking this corner in the snow at 50mph and the rear-end came out. Do I need a stiffer rear sway bar?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2111609

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1840/no-its-not-an-sti-gst-motorsports-mighty-subaru-impreza.aspx

Article on one of my favorite US based subarus. Sorry jamal, my heart will always be with the older GC/GM/GF chassis.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Subarus really don't like being excessively lowered.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

:ohdear: Should I feel guilty for completely gutting the interior of my car in preparation for cage installation? I feel bad doing this to a rather pristine car; but, this is why I bought it...

Roof panel with the moonroof is going to be removed and a flat one from an impreza L will be installed.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

allonblack posted:

My wife's 2010 Scion XB was stolen. We're looking at the new (2010/2011) Outback as a replacement. Anyone have one? Any thoughts on it?

Wasn't there a goon that works at a Northwest Subaru dealership around at some point? Are you still out there? Wanna sell me a car? :)

No, but you should feel guilty that you aren't posting pictures of whatever amazing process you're undertaking.

Sorry to hear about the stolen car.

I'll take pics of the process. Its nothing special though. :x

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

RS 5/6 spokes are 16x7. Yea, 225s will fit.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'm wondering if I can get away with 16x7 +35 wheels or should I just stick with +40. Probably would need to fender roll like a bitch. Wheel bearings? heh

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Dry ice is pretty amazing. Dropping car off tomorrow for cage. Still a bunch to rip out.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 26, 2011

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

This is a shot in the dark. I'm looking at standalone ECUs. Currently, narrowed down to a megasquirt unit or an older LinkPlus v10 G1. Cost keeps many of the other options out of range.

Its hard to find information on the LinkPlus in relation to subarus especially since its never been very popular over here and its an Australian company.

Thoughts?

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 10, 2011

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

daslog posted:

I'm looking for some ideas. I have excellent connections (my spouse) into the regional Subaru dealerships. If I wanted to pick up a an 8 to 15 year old Subaru to fix up, what should I pick? Something like a 1998 RS?

If you want one in that bodystyle, I'd only get a '00 or '01. Mainly due to the engine. The '99 is nice but it was a weird year and the '98 was a DOHC motor.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I love my bastard year '99. Phase 2!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Hehe, "easier"

995 units in the whole US.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Holy gently caress!

Chopped? Or is the angle just weird.

*Edit, yea the roof is chopped.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 6, 2011

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sometimes, I hate being a subaru owner. It really is the new honda.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

God drat that post hurt my brain.

It is true, subaru is the new honda 100%.

Reading other forums pisses me off. Seems like the community used to be about the engineering and performance, now that the price of entry has come down a lot, it's more about making your car a fashion statement and doing broadies on your neighbors lawn.

SA has spoiled me.

rs25.com isn't bad. But it is a small community.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Word on the streets is that AQ Motorsports wants to throw down with TIC at Global Time Attack at Autobahn.

:aaa:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

haha where'd you hear that?

TIC's facebook.

Maybe throwdown is the wrong word. :p

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Got my car back. Cage isn't super fancy/complex as the others you see. Working on a budget; but, it fits regulations for NASA/EMRA/SCCA and keeps me in my classification.

Still have a bunch more work to do on the car.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Yay, more new stuff.

15x7 +35 13lbs each

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Those are pretty nice! Where'd you get them?

http://www.teamilluminata.com/

I got lucky. Normally there is a few month lead time; but, they somehow had the exact size I wanted in stock. Great guys to deal with. Going to be mounting Toyo RA-1 tires in 225/50-15.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Where as I rip fenders off my RS racing or drive it into ditches and don't give a gently caress :smug:

Beaters4lyfe

:hfive:

Washing the impreza? What is that?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

How heavy is this small trailer?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm actually really interested to see what upgrading springs, shocks and adding more caster will do to the car, as almost everyone I've talked to has always gone for swaybars first.

I always figured swaybars as a chassis balance solution seemed to fight against every other part of the suspension to some extent. I'm hoping that having a properly set up damping along with stiffer springs should help to fight roll on their own.

I'm on completely stock swaybars. I've always felt and been told that swaybars are the last thing to change. They are used to fine tune the suspension once you've dialed everything else in as much as possible. People go for swaybars first because it is cheap.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

"Crashed" the impreza at Beaverun. I have to now arrange to get it towed back. Unless someone knows someone near Wampum, PA :x. I hit an embankment and somehow snapped the front right axle at the outer CV Joint and possibly damaged other suspension components there.

I got first in class for the TT at least and I crashed it on the last session. Was trying to push too hard to break into 1:15. I *think* I apexed too early and got on the gas way too early before the suspension had time to settle after the crest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qPHsYdOMY

:smith:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

blargle posted:

What kind of suspension are you on?

RCE Tarmac 2 (KW Variant 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

nm posted:

RCE Tarmac 2s are KW V3s
RCE Tarmac 1s are KW V2s

0s are V1s.

Confusing.

Doh, mea culpa. I just drive on them! Heh.

Blaise posted:

Where are you located? You could always buy a 200 mile AAA membership and have them tow you.

Crazy how you'd crash there... I've only ever run the beaver on a bike and crashing on that part of the track would seem impossible as such...

I'm in NJ, so like 350 miles away. The sucky part is that I've been saving up for a tow vehicle and trailer. I have a buddy halfway and he might be able to pick it up for me.

It kind of helps that I have video, I've been trying to solicit opinions on what I did wrong in the corner. I'm still a novice at this and learning.

Lotta videos of stuff breaking in this thread suddenly :x