Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Oh god, the tire position in the last frame of that .gif makes me think of someone falling and breaking an ankle.

I give you the least-molested used wrx on earth:

And yes, I'm totally irreversibly gay for turbo subarus now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

You have an 02 WRX with drums in the rear?? I thought they came with discs in the rear, I've never seen one with rear drums.

The rear drum brake is the hand/parking brake.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
I need to pick up some new tires for an '02 wrx. I've been running on the same tires that were on the car when I bought it almost a year ago, and I haven't really ever had to deal with picking out new tires before so maybe you guys could throw some suggestions my way.

It has Yokohama ES100 235/45/zr17 97w tires on aftermarket 17" rims right now. I don't really have anything bad to say about these, but I don't have anything to compare them to so maybe I'm missing out?

I live in central texas so I don't exactly see a lot of snow, and I don't track the car or anything like that (for now). I'd rather not spend a ton on tires (college student, etc.) but I'd like to get something that won't be just awful and make me regret spending money on them at all.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Bud Manstrong posted:

What's your budget?

What are your priorities with tires: tread life? wet weather handling? noise? grip?

I'd like to stay somewhere around $100/tire but I don't know how feasible that is. Like I said, I'm not completely averse to paying for good tires. I realize this isn't something to skimp on. I would just prefer not to pay out the nose for some.

My priorities are probably equal amounts tread life and grip. I do enjoy tossing the car around when I get the chance. noise doesn't bother me, and as long as I don't hydroplane into lightpoles every time it rains I'll probably be satisfied with the wet weather handling.

I haven't had too much trouble with my current tires in the rain, and they are definitely not all-seasons.

Thanks for the help :)

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I think you are going to have a hard time finding anything that's not junk in that size for $100 /tire.

For a good modern UHP All-Season, you can get the Goodyear Eagle F1 all-season for about $149 /corner and even though they're all seasons, they will trounce those ancient ES100s in even perfect summer conditions to say nothing of wet.

For a summer only tire actually in the pricerange, it looks like you can get some Falken FK-452s for $101 a corner in that size.

Other than that, I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me until you get closer to $200 a tire.

That's fine. I really didn't have any frame of reference when I started looking so that 'budget' was just a shot in the dark. If $150/tire is what will get me some nice rubber then I'm perfectly happy paying it.

What kind of tread life can you expect with something like those goodyears, anyway?

Also, what is the normal procedure for buying from tirerack.com and getting them put on? I've been advised (and seen for myself) not to go to places like discount tire, etc. What's the alternative?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

CharlesM posted:

What's wrong with Discount Tire?

I may be completely off base here, but I tend to lump them together with all the jiffy-lube type places. Kids running around using air tools on everything, breaking poo poo, denying it, etc.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
I seem to remember a goon posting about his boxster snapping the parking brake cable while parked, in neutral, and rolling off a small embankment.

I've always put mine into 1st or R depending on the direction I'm facing on the incline.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
Smell that?

Mmmmm, cooking up some performance over here...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
What fluid do you guys recommend using for the WRX 5MT? Mine's getting a bit more prone to grinding now at around 103,000 miles. I couldn't find any mention of it on scoobymods and Nasioc is all :pwn:

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
My AC has been blowing warm recently, so I picked up a couple cans of r134 and headed out to the garage to get to work. I crank the AC and am immediately greeted by a horrible vibrating/ticking noise coming from around the middle of the engine on the driver's side. Turn the AC off, noise quits. Also blows completely warm air now.

I'll be taking it to a shop in the morning, but I was hoping someone on here could point out what's probably pretty obvious. The only AC trouble I've ever dealt with was a missing/torn seal in my old Acura.

Of course this is the day before I'm taking a road trip to austin in the middle of a heat wave. :bang:

fake edit: it's an 02 WRX

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

CharlesM posted:

It's closer in size to the pretty much an Accord or Camry now, visually.

Fixed that for ya

:sigh:

Where'd the Subaru ugly go?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
As I was driving today I started hearing an odd 'pop' noise when I pressed the clutch all the way in. The noise seemed to be coming from right behind the gauge cluster, but I could be mistaken. So I park the car and sit with the engine off pressing the clutch a few times. It's a very soft pop, and with the engine off I'd hear it about 1/2 second after I pressed the clutch all the way in. If I don't press it all the way, no pop.

Driving home I couldn't hear the noise any more. Suggestions?

This is on an '02 WRX with 107k miles on it.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
It could be a click, yeah. It's kind of a nebulous click/pop sound that is just hard to describe.

I do have trouble getting into gear sometimes, but I'm almost positive that's a synchro issue. I've had slight problems with that since I bought the car and it's always the same gears that give me the same amount of grief. Having experienced synchro problems in another car it feels exactly like that. This seems like something new, but I could be wrong.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
My WRX is throwing a CEL, P1086. Apparently this is the left hand tumble generator valve and there are umpteen million references to it on various forums along with just as many 'fixes'. Thought I'd throw it out here and maybe get a definitive answer as to what to do next, and if it's something I should be concerned with driving on until I get it fixed.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

(((k))) posted:

Just went to the new Subaru dealership in the DFW are yesterday. Sewell, it used to be Hummer. Finally found a competent and helpful Subaru operation. The tech I worked with Mark was awesome. I think he used to work at SoP. I think this is a good option for those in the area.

That's good to know. I've been going to SoP for little odds and ends because the parts guys would usually give me a discount, but it's not even remotely close to me since I moved a few months ago.

I'd *heard things* about SoP from other guys around here as well (firing techs, just general shittiness) but I've never really dealt with them beyond "Hi, I need some crush washers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
My WRX needs new tires, like yesterday. woops. The last time I replaced them the Sumitomo HTR-Z III was the go-to bang-for-your-buck performance tire. Is this still the case? I did notice they've gone up in price by about $20/tire since I bought them.

I've enjoyed them, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.