Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
gently caress!! how did i miss a subaru thread in AI?!?

anyhow, heres my scoobys
91 legacy, 2.2l a/t. i love this loving car. put in new pipe from the manifold back, no muffler, high flow cats, forester wheels w/ 225's, & replaced the whole sound system. been off the road for a few months now, blew my second 4eat and decided while i have everything out to go all out on it. have an eg33, harness, and ecu to swap, need a 5speed & all the fixins that for a good price. 4.11 preferred. anyone know someone?

now, to the 94 loyale. bought it right before the legacy's trans blew out for 500$. 1.8l fi w/ dual range 4x4 (trans swaped by PO or PPO, not sure). replaced a boatload of sensors, plugs, filters, ect and it gets 30+mpg on the highway and high 20s city. engine is solid, it needs a clutch but that can wait for warmer weather or another daily driver. interior exterior wise it's ok but underneath theres some body/frame rust that has to be dealt with. one thing that drives me crazy though, is it grinds 2nd almost every time unless i go into it real slow, i hear a lot about synchromesh fluid, would it help that out at all?

day i bought it

terrible picture from today

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
so i finally finished a 5mt conversion on my 91 legacy wagon, in my driveway on jack stands, with just a floor jack and hand tools. it... really wasn't as bad as i expected, and i semi-purposely made it harder (refusing any help and not doing any research)
everything came out perfect though. didnt have any huge problems, besides getting it to start with a key, i was hotwiring the starter every time i wanted to drive. ended up keeping the transmission range sensor plugged in, out of the transmission and turned to neutral. i could have probably looked up the wiring and jumped some pins together but gently caress it it works
if anyone is curious, heres a list of what i paid and what i needed

-trans, crossmember, driveshaft, and differentual- 150 PULLED FOR ME!
-flywheel(brand new in the wagontrunk of the car i got the starter out of) , starter, clutch & brake pedals & cable, shifter linkage + boot and knob- 40$, seriously
-brand new clutch- ~170
-fluids were like 30$
~400$
and i found out you DON'T need a diff if your old and new trans have the same ratio, you just need a new driveshaft. oh and get a cable clutch tranny its a good bit easier to setup. i personally like cables better. also the axles are the same.

so, yeah. stick swap for under 400$!
i got all of my used parts from EZ-PULL in New Ringgold, pa by blue mountain/ off of 309. less than half the price of Harry's or anyone else around here, and 2-3x the size. also they had 15+ 1st gen legacies there, and i had 7 manuals to pick from!

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 25, 2010

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
yeah, the legacy was my first car, and my highschool car, had it for like 7 years now. i also love how it looks with the 00 forester steelies and beat up body... everyone knows it as the battlewagon around here.

i've already put 2 (as in i blew 3) 4eats in it, and after the last one i let it sit 8 months until the last tax return which i blew, and this tax i actually put the money out, and it was so worth it. feels great with the 5mt. the main reason i did the conversion is that i already had to pull a trans and i REALLY REALLY wanted the full time 50/50 of the sticks, the electronic controlled rear wasn't the best for hooning (which is this car's ONLY purpose besides picking up engines and trannies for projects)

next major project is an eg33 swap (i dont like turbos). i already have the whole thing, engine, full exhaust system to cut up to work in my car, harness, ecu ect but i'm waiting for this ej22 to die, even helping it along a bit. and exactly as seat safety switch says, it won't die and give me a reason to do the swap. also, do you guys think a 4.111 n/a cable trans will be able to handle the torque without blowing up? i planned on using a stock clutch to maybe protect my driveline but i dunno.

but yeah, i love this car so so so very much and will NEVER GET RID OF IT EVER. even if i hit a pole or something i'd weld a new front clip on it.

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 27, 2010

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
Don't believe this has been posted yet, but i think its pretty cool. Subaru is giving away these "Badge of Ownership" badge things to promote brand loyalty i'm assuming. it has a big badge to show how many subarus you have/had (what im going by) and what you do with them. even has a gay/lesbian/tranny badge which further reinforces the brand stereotype... why do you have to make me feel weird about my favorite marque, subaru? anyway, pic and link incoming:

and best thing of all they're fuckin' FREE! (with a subaru vin 1st gen legacy and up)

i have the 4 subarus, mechanical, performance, and 100k+ badges (they should make 200k+ and 300k+) on mine which should be pretty close to what you guys are running. if you order one let me/ai know what you put!

bonus pic of my bitchin sidepipe and terrible peice of scrap (gently caress you TurboLuvah) the badge is going on

no cats either, yeah it'll shoot flames :colbert:

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 2, 2010

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

ab0z posted:

You should get the eco badge.

gently caress yeah i am. i dunno how i didnt think of it when i was ordering it :downs: im going to try to paint the leaf "cherry blossom red" if atall possible. hopefully the screenprint isnt under resin or something
i ordered another set with every single badge with my now scrapped loyale's vin. its nice to keep old registration and insurance papers around. want to also put LGBT's on other peoples cars

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo sparkles in my oil.... how pretty :swoon:

it IS possible to kill a 2.2 :toot:

swap time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
eg33 it is... project starting next month(s). as soon as i get ~1k of expendable cash to throw at various parts the teardown will begin