Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've been thinking of getting another Subaru for my next car. My current one is shite (Passat,) and I have fond memories of my past two Subarus, even though they weren't anything special ('92 Legacy L wagon and '97 Legacy 2.5L GT) I would still be driving that second one if I didn't get rear-ended by some jerk in a truck. It was totaled. :smith:

I made a big mistake and went with a crappy Passat. It has been nothing but trouble, but it's almost paid off, and when I get my tax return, it will be completely paid off and I can sell it or trade it in and get...

A WRX! Maybe...Some sort of Impreza, that's for sure. I did a cursory search and there aren't a lot of used WRXs for sale around here, probably because Subarus are VERY popular around here and people like to hang on to the nicer ones till they die for good.

But, at any rate, what are some things I should be on the lookout for? I am looking for 2002-2005 models, because they are in my price range. What things are prone to failure I shold ask the dealer/seller about? Any "essential" upgrades I might want to think about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Alright, a follow up question:
What are the main differences between an Impreza WRX, RS, STi, and i models?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I've decided I really, really want another Subaru. I had a '97 Legacy GT Limited, cherry red baby. It ran really well...for the most part. I had it for less than two and a half years. The check engine light kept coming on, though, for mis-firing cylinders. At first it was #2, and I just had all the spark plugs and wires replaced after it had the same error code three times after being reset. Ran fine, then it came on again for misfiring, this time cylinder 1. Had it reset, then came on again for #2 again! But other than that it was reliable and had no other problems.

But before I could look into the underlying problem of the engine, I was rear-ended by an F-350 and it was totaled. :gonk:

Anyway, I need to drop my current POS like a bad habit ('99 Passat...to this day I don't know why I ever bought it...)

I've been searching craigslist and local used dealers websites like a fiend, and coming up fairly empty. A lot of people here hang on to their Subarus till they or the car dies (if you've never been to VT, you should take a look around if you have a chance to get up here. SOOO MANY Subarus.)

The ones I do find are either not the years I want (I want a late 90's...mostly cause that's what I can afford,) or they're automatic, or I can tell they were owned by some punk kid who probably did half-assed lovely mods and beat it to hell while "totally rallying" on some backwoods road.

Then I found this guy and got to thinking,
"Well...that might be a good car if the transmision damage isn't too bad and doesn't cost too much to fix."

The KBB value is about $3000 for the regular GT, and $3500 for the Limited (I can't tell from the picture if it's the Limited or not...I hope it is.) So I figure if it IS the Limited, and it would cost about $1000 to fix, then it would be about the right price.

But them I remembered I'm not that car savvy, so I figured if anyone knew if I should look further into obtaning this automobile, it would be you dykes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well I sent the guy an email asking if the transmission is completely shot, as in, the car won't go anywhere, or if it still runs just not very well and will "merely" poo poo the bed soon.

Whether that makes much of a difference, I don't know. I also asked if he got an estimate.

I've even expanded my search to parts of western NY and NH. Time to give up and just get a regular Legacy, I guess. :saddowns:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ssjonizuka posted:

If you can swing it, I'd try a bit further south. My concerns is that up here something that old could potentially be a rust bucket with pretty panels on the outside.

DC is a 9 or 10 hour drive from here depending on how crazy you are, and I'm sure there would be people around here willing to check out a car that you could potentially get a better deal on for a cheap flight down.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that.I can get a one way to DC for...less than $200, it seems...and that's a weekend, no less.

I emailed the craigslist guy a lowball offer of $1500. I went to HS with a guy who's father owns a used Subaru dealership/shop, and I've bought two cars there myself, and my brother has bought two, so we get a bit of a deal on labor, so if he accepts the $1500 I'll just do that. (And yes, I've looked in his inventory, and there's nothing I'm interested in.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just purchased a 2019 Crosstrek, 2.0, 6-speed.

I've only had it a couple weeks, but when I drive it I notice a "hot" smell. Can't be 100% what it is...I don't' think it's the oil. I checked it and it's at a fine level (after my commute yesterday (~60 miles) it was just barely above the max fill line, and still a nice tan-ish color, not dark or black.) But I looked at the coolant/radiator reservoir tank and it was bone dry. I would think with the engine decently hot, it would be filled up at least a little, but nada.

My temp light wasn't going on or anything, but between that and this weird "engine mildly overheating" smell, I feel like that should be topped off, no?

So I looked things up, and I guess Subaru wants me to get super-specific Subaru only coolant? I imagine all OEMs say that, but I've never had a car this new, and haven't had a Subaru since 2006 (which was a '98 model) so I want to be drat sure I do things right. I assume that regardless if a generic coolant will work overall, I probably need the Subaru Super Coolant now because that's what's in the engine originally, and only being 2 years old and 30k miles, it is unlikely it's been flushed or replaced at all, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can you get it in to the dealer you bought it from to have it checked?

In a pinch, you can just add water (deionized/distilled) to the overflow, but you'll want to do a full change before winter hits again. Do NOT open the radiator hot, like within an hour of running at operating temp, if you value your skin. If the overflow tank is pressurized (has a radiator or pressure cap on it), same thing, just wait for it to cool down. Check your radiator hoses, overflow tank hose, and at the back of the engine bay, you'll find the heater core hoses running to the interior.

Coolant typically has a sweet smell, maybe a little peppery. If you can get it into the shop to let them deal with it, do that, especially on the dealers dime.

Ehhh...dealer is about 2 hours away from me. It was a drive to get there, but they had better reviews that other, closer, Subaru dealers and had a better selection of years I was l interested in.
They did let me know that any warranty repairs (and recalls,) I can get done at any authorized Subaru dealership, but I'm not sure just a "I smell something odd" checkup would get covered unless I brought it back to them, which isn't high on my list since it's so far away.

As far as I can tell it's not a pressurized overflow tank, just had a regular pop off cap like what's on the windshield fluid reservoir.