Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Is there a good reason that my local dealer wants to charge $100 to change the cabin air filter on my '08 legacy?
Even after compensating for inflated dealer prices on everything, that sounds like a LOT for an air filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I have an 08 Legacy Sedan (non-turbo) that is going to need new tires soon. Getting replacement OEM Yokohama's is going to cost me way more than i want to spend.

I was thinking about these in 215/45-17 (OEM is 205/50-17). Are they as good as the ratings show?

I'm looking for all-seasons. Any suggestions?

edit: 215's will still fit on the wheel right?

edit2: does anyone have any experience with these?

Alpine Mustache fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 14, 2009

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Bud Manstrong posted:

Second. I've got them on my Legacy GT, and they're top notch. No all-seasons come close for the price.

They are a bit more than i wanted to spend, but i am considering them.
i'm guessing 215/45-17? they don't seem to make 205/50's

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

sbyers77 posted:

My girlfriend has an 08 Imprezza 2.5i and I've convinced her to get an extra set of steel wheels for dedicated winter/snow tires. I'm looking around craigslist for a set but I have some questions because I am apparently retarded when it comes to wheels.

The factory wheel size is 16x6.5 with a 5-100 bolt pattern. Will any 16" 5-100 wheel work or do I need to stick with same width? For instance, is it okay to go with something like 16x6?

Can she go with 15" wheels with the correct bolt pattern (I don't know if it will fit over the brake hardware or not)?

And is there anything else I should be worried about? I see things like stud size and hub center bore listed on some wheel websites, but no one mentions that in their craiglist listings, so I'm not sure how that affects choosing the right wheels.

You could also go to tirerack (or really any other online tire vendor) put in the car info, and it will tell you what wheels can be put on the car.
If you do go the tirerack route you can buy the tires and wheels all in one shot(steelies are cheap and a good option for winter tires) and have them mount and balance, then when they get delivered all you have to to is swap the wheels.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I have an '08 Legacy that i have bent/damaged two of the stock rims. Am I better off getting 4 new aftermarket rims, or two replacement OEM rims?
I know the OEM rims are fairly plain looking but I like them that way.
OEM replacement looks like it will be $250 - $350 each, while a set of four aftermarket rims can be had for just as much if not barely more.
Is there some place I should be able to find OEM replacements for cheaper?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I have a 2008 Legacy, and a couple times this past week the Cruise light has started to blink, with no CEL coming on. Both times it happened, I had the cruise control set for about 5 minutes before it dropped out and the cruise light began blinking.

It hasn't happened when i wasn't in cruise, but its only happened twice so far.

Does anyone know what it might mean?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Rontalvos posted:

This happened to me this summer in a friend's car. Her CVT was overheating because she kept putting the cruse control at 80mph with a 20mph headwind for several hours.

Happened again today twice.
I'm not getting a CEL or the AT Temp warning lights, just the blinking cruise light, and it has so far only happened after using Cruise for a few minutes.
Trying to google this is a PITA because so far everything is Cruise + CEL.

Am I gonna have to get this scanned for a code or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I picked up a new 2014 Outback about a week an a half ago and I have a few questions about the bluetooth, mostly because there isn't much in the way of documentation other than how to pair it with your phone and the commands for using the phone.

I paired it with my phone just fine (Samsung Galaxy S4 on t-mobile), but it doesn't seem to pick up any contacts from my phone, and I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not. Also, for the phone numbers I have manually stored in the phone book, there doesn't seem to be a way to input a name to display in text on the display screen, it only has the audio of the name i recorded when I entered it into the phone book. Is this how it is supposed to work?