Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
I'm really looking to buy a last-gen Impreza WRX or 2.5RS in the next year, so thanks for this thread.

I am a bit worried how the 07 Impreza stood up in the 2007 Car and Driver comparison test. Can anyone comment on this? It's on their website - I would link it but the url wont fit in the tag.

edited for retarded model mixing

Tatrakrad fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

grzydj posted:

Welp, sold my WRX. :smith: I'm moving on to something a lot slower, an '85 Toyota 4Runner. Twas good times.

EDIT: Time for a new avatar.

What? No!

That's an awesome avatar.

As someone who drives a Subaru vicariously through this thread I demand that, if you move to something slower, let it at least be a Forrester/Outback.

edit: lost a word

Tatrakrad fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 5, 2009

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

oxbrain posted:

My new $650 daily driver,

For some reason* it's not running right. It needs a lot of little things before it's drivable. Most of the rubber bits are dry-rotted, dash lights don't work, blower motor barely works, and it leaks oil. The plan is to build up an ea81 and swap that plus a dual range gearbox next spring/summer. I might do a thread at that time.

I need to get rid of the camo ASAP. Suggest a color, original was silver/gray.

Wow, I can't imagine finding anything so awesome for $650.

Good luck with the rubber bits though, they're whats keeping me from getting anywhere on my First Project Ever.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

jamal posted:

-The car DOES NOT run fine on 87. It barely runs fine on 91.

So either everybody in California is actively ruining their new WRXs by running on 91 or the engine is total poo poo? Not disagreeing with any advice in here but I don't see what you're getting at with saying that a street car can't run on 91.

disclaimer: I don't live in California maybe it's just dumb?

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I see. It still seems to me that Subaru didn't have the foresight to adequately test the turbo Impreza motors on 91 octane though.

You Californians would have it easier if you just put 93 in the pumps though.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

nm posted:

It isn't just CA, its pretty much anything west of the continental divide.
Also, we get over it because its still better than wherever you live.

I love justifications of this format. "What we have is way better than what you have, so we get over putting up with (really dumb thing we refuse to change)". It's like people purposely messing with something good just to show others that it means nothing to them.

Second disclaimer: I have E/N problems about moving away from the East Coast which I've learned to hate so much

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Going to test drive an 09-2010 WRX tomorrow.

Anything I should look for? What are people's general impressions about it?

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I was under the impression most of the reliability kinks were worked out, along with the suspension revision.

I'm mostly curious how the ownership experience is. I want something that I can take across the country, haul filming equipment in possibly, with the luxury of having a manual transmission - which puts the Lancer and old Lexus IS station wagon out of the running.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Good to know.

Took a test drive today. This car seems perfect, but the 5 doors are hard to find around where I am for some reason. The salesman said last time they got a 5 door WRX in stock it was gone by the next day. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to wait a few months before I can actually purchase one.

The navigation option was a bit confusing though, it seems like you can only get it on the WRX premium and STI - but you can get a screen and a better audio system on the regular WRX?

I may just opt to get aftermarket nav/audio if I cant make sense of it. It all depends on what I can get when I finally put down the money.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

GroceryBagHead posted:

I decided to repaint my car today as well.

:swoon:

I cant believe that car looks good on steelies

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I'm going to finally pull a trigger on a 2010 WRX sometime this week. I'll have a car for the first time in 3 years.

What options/accessories are useful/useless? Do I have to get a premium for navigation? I've heard of people buying new cars who end up wasting money on audio systems that are worse than stock, short shifters that end up breaking, etc.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Got a 2010 WRX Limited today. I thought I wouldn't be able to find a non STI wagon in Texas but a few phone calls got me a Dallas auto show display car that was between dealerships. The sales guy told me it was rare as gently caress, so I was glad to get it before it was officially put up for sale. I wasn't looking at a limited initially, since I don't really care about leather and sunroofs, but I really couldn't be happier. The 1000 mile break in is going to be the most blue-ball inducing driving experience ever.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

$8000 and the fact that I'm a 21 year old male who lives in New York, insurance wise.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I just wish I could stop burning the clutch. I've only done it twice but gently caress the smell.

So bad.

In my defense I haven't owned a car in three years. I had leftover college money though so I really wanted a car I could be happy with for the next 5 or more years until I can start making money. Seats folded it looks like I could probably fit 2 of those huge Arri light cases, c-stands, plus camera and tripod.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Goddamnit, I JUST posted my new 2010 WRX Limited.

This is bullshit.

I still love my new car

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

blargle posted:

Does anyone know when dealers typically get pricing for next year's models? There are no more 2010 WRXs left in my area and my dealer doesn't have a price on the 2011. This car has been hilariously hard to find, unlike my 2002.

When I bought my 2010 in Texas a few months ago there were about 9 or 10 in the entire state.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

joe944 posted:

2010 WRX

Good choice. I was hesitant about the new WRX until the refresh, I got a new 2010 Limited and it's been really great so far. I ended up borrowing money from within my family though, since it can be hard to find one used (at least in Texas).

My car came with everything but nav though, the salesman told me the Subaru system was crap anyway. Can someone in this thread recommend a good aftermarket nav system/head unit? I want to fix my terrible sound system while I'm at it.

Also, does anybody's current gen WRX make a popping noise while the A/C is on? I can feel it through the brake pedal for some reason.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I have a 2010 WRX that came on summer tires that I left at school (New York), while at home (Texas). Will it be okay on plowed roads? I've driven plenty of cars with all seasons and winter tires in snow weather but they were all sub 200hp beaters. I don't know how fast cars, even with 4wd, take to slush.

I only have a few months until I graduate so winter tires are out of the question.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

c355n4 posted:

You lose traction, you lose traction. No amount of AWD/4WD is gonna save your rear end. How much you have to drive?

Not too much, I put on maybe 20 miles a week if I don't go out for anything. And I know 4wd isn't a free pass on traction.

Blaise posted:

Really, really, really bad idea. If it's completely dry, somewhat warm, and nobody cuts you off, you'll be fine. If you need to make an emergency stop, you get ANY snow, or if it gets especially cold (20* or below), you'll be wrecking your nice WRX.

Real talk.

Sounds like a challenge

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

nm posted:

You bought a new car and can't afford proper tires?

Don't drive on summer tires in the snow. Check craigslist, you can often find used snow tires pretty cheap (like $100 for 4). They'll be a few seasons old, but as long as they have more than 6/32s, you'll live.

Remember even plowed roads will have ice.

I'm moving to somewhere that doesn't snow after I graduate in May, a set of useless tires are the last thing I need. I'll have to deal with it I guess.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Blaise posted:

BUY A SET OF USED SUBARU WHEELS WITH ALL SEASONS ON THEM.

Jesus. Blows my mind how people will spend $1000 on a turboback but $3-400 for a set of used wheels/tires is totally out of the question. How much is your insurance deductible?

Also, reading that thread makes my head hurt. I can't handle NASIOC.

The car is bone stock, I'm not "that guy" or "lol AI advice conflicts with my opinions so gently caress that", if I was spending more than one winter in a place where it snows I would buy a dedicated set of winter tires no question. If it's worth buying a set of craigslist tires I'll go for it or leave the car locked up.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

No snow tires on craigslist where I am (Westchester NY).

And reading this...

bull3964 posted:

Anyone who wants summer tire grip isn't going to be happy with the SP01s anyways as they are really average tires, so they end up getting replaced anyways. For everyone else, they wouldn't notice the difference between these and an UHP all-season most of the time and it would be far far safer and more practical.

Am I better off just getting a set of RE960s mounted on my stock wheels?

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Thanks. I forgot they had classifieds

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Advice taken. I'm picking up some used Goodyear F1 all seasons tomorrow in Long Island. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

WRX Owners posted:

23-25 mpg

Impressive. I keep trying to bump my around town average up in my 2010 but I'm stuck at 13/20, usually worse.

It's possible I have no idea how to drive, it's my first manual transmission car with more than 90hp.