Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Me-262 posted:

Does that Subie in the back there have a roof scoop mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bampalo posted:

I waited about a year after getting my 05 before doing anything racing related. And now that I have, expensive new addiction ahoy.

ah good ol rocks. I remember personally clearing up like 50 lbs of coconut-sized rocks for you AWD assholes tearing up the place :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can someone explain Subaru's priorities with racing programs?

They're doing ok in WRC, but seem to be really down to Mistubishi in PWRC, which is arguably a better measure of the real world quality of STis and the whole line down.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grzydj posted:

You're also going to have to explain this brain fade phenomenon that these Finnish drivers experienced

I think it's because they dropped the ball in the later stages when they were looking fantastic earlier.

Lazor posted:

Holy crap they let you stand close to the course.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does the Subaru building in the back mean it was a company/dealer sponsored event?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wandering Idiot posted:

I'm curious about this too. There's one here in Nashville on Craigslist (from Sept 25th) for $300 that I'm thinking about snagging, but I have no place to put it. There's almost nothing as far as information goes online about it, every site I checked just has a placeholder of "We're still accumulating information yada yada".

The AI answer to this when it came up last time was to swap in a new STi drivetrain to get rid of the unknowns.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

The Forester STI is extremely close in performance to the WRX STI, so it can be made to handle quite nicely. However, stock-to-stock, I'm sure the WRX is much better.

Forester STI? If you mean XT, is it really that close to the WRX STi?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nm posted:

The Forester can take to mods very well. However stock, it's pretty soft.

Hunh. I had no idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18goizbqs4

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ab0z posted:

Should I write the check?" and they took it. (he later sold the car for 23k after fixing 2-3 minor cosmetic items).

Suckers take 18.5k personal checks. Anything past 2k people should ask for a money order or bank check.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ab0z posted:

Well he didn't actually say "should I write the check", it was more like "do you want this stack of money and cashiers checks?".
Wait he carries a book of cashier's checks around? Or he went to the bank and got one made out to the amount ahead of time?

I wouldn't be moved to sell by anyone offering to buy a car of significant value by writing a personal check to me in that amount; I'd think it was possibly a scam. The whole I-have-cash-in-my-pocket works better for amounts where you can fit the 100s in your pocket.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mutar posted:

Why do you suggest a full flush? I expected to have to bleed them when I finished with the change but if a full flush is really needed then I'll do it. What all is involved in a full on flush?

Depends on when you last had your brakes bled. If you don't know the condition/age of the fluid, it'd be worth it to flush it. In this case, I think flush just means to completely replace the fluid. Bleed everything out through the brakes while having someone maintain level in the brake fluid reservoir. edit: And by maintain level, I mean keep feeding in new fluid into the reservoir.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 20, 2008

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wow, 20 years of the STi (well, in Japan):
http://jalopnik.com/5068169/20th-anniversary-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-revealed-for-japan

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How does the bottom end on a boxer engine work? Is the block actually 2 blocks or are they connected somehow?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rk posted:

That was the first thing I put on my 08 STI when I got it some 10 months ago. I drive through construction every day and I swear, those flaps are the only things that have kept the fender flares from being sandblasted by the gravel and dirt I drive through. They're awesome and their customer server is impeccable.

What makes them different from other mudflaps? Just thicker and tougher?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bud Manstrong posted:

Wonder how much it has to do with the announced switch to S2000-spec cars in a couple of years.
If that were the case, we should expect to hear an announcement that they'll start an S2000 program and enter it into national rallies asap, if the plan is to come back to WRC in a couple years' time and hit the ground running.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Turbo Car posted:

We buy them off of crashed STis and rebuild them (when we have time) as spares.

At what rate do you find crashed STis? What sort of net do you cast? All over NA?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lando posted:

gently caress you. We dont get fun stuff like that:(

Easier link to demigod sti:
http://litchfieldimports.co.uk/subaru_type20.asp?shopmenu=2

Why can't one of the big Subie shops in the US do something like that? It's not like there's any inherent flaw with the USDM 2.5 motor, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dr JonboyG posted:

Is the Japanese spec engine not legal over here?

It might be on the aftermarket, but I was just curious if there the 2.5 was fundamentally less easy to tune or inferior at peak tuned performance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The same reason that cars in the US have 2 or 3 engine/trans combos will have 8 or 9 in other countries - every single version needs to be tested for emissions, fleet fuel economy, crash(?), etc.

I'm pretty sure most US states wouldn't blink an eye at you sending your STi into a shop for a bout of engine, suspension, and tune upgrades. It might be a little trickier to get approval to sell the cars as new.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

littlehulkster posted:

If you anticipate routine stops and don't drive like a retard it's not a problem.

In most cases, driving with good AWD and all seasons will not be a problem. However, that doesn't discount that your traction will still be better with winter tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MMD3 posted:

I fail to see the good in this.

It feels like Subaru is always going, "come on, other manufacturers, I dare you to copy this"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

What kind of parts would you guys recommend for sustainability in desert rally events?

Be fastidious about cleaning sand off the car after the event is over. The grit can worm itself into all sorts of places you don't want it to get into, including the interior and trunk.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

most distance traveled after encountering ice:
- RWD
- FWD
- AWD

:psyduck:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MMD3 posted:

judging by this photo, yeah... I didn't accelerate/turn out of it, I just slammed the brakes.

For the better. In the accelerate after straightening out scenario, if you didn't nail it and get grip you woulda slammed into the back of that Mazday thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Or, you could be totally irresponsible and throw it into a pendulum turn. At that point, you're giving up the known (a ditch) for the unknown (possibly a clean exit, possibly sideswiping a pedestrian). It's not the safest option, but if that ditch had been a 100 foot drop, you'll want all the options you can get.

A better driver than me should chime in, but I don't think a pendulum turn would work when the cause of sliding is glare ice and bad tires. There'd be nothing for the front tires to grip into even if they got weight transfer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A locked diff means that equal torque is being sent to all wheels
I think this concept is killing the debate. I'm in jamal's camp. The classic example of why an open diff is equal torque is when you're stuck in the snow. One wheel just sits there not moving, and the other spins uselessly, applying 0 torque to the ground.

Contrariwise, if an Audi with a locked rear diff is going through some mud on its left side, the left rear wheel will spin but give 0 torque, whereas the right rear wheel will spin and apply some torque to the dirt. Locking is what enables 0:100 ratio when one wheel loses all grip.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Immortaldonut posted:

I found that in the same MY as my L, the RS came with a 205/55R16 from the factory. Mine were 195/65R15 if I'm not mistaken. Would it be recommended to move up a wheel size to something a little larger/wider? I assume that in summer conditions, a wider tire is going to provide more grip/handling ability? I saw someone mention the RE-01Rs as a good daily driver tire. Would that be a good recommendation or will it wear out fast?

Where in the Northeast? If snow is on the ground for a couple months out of the year, the RE-01Rs won't cut it. You'll have to get a set of winter tires or downgrade to all seansons.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106147
Techs at this guy's dealership thrash his car. But he had a running inboard camera setup, and caught everything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IIRC both these Subies in ditches incidents were caused by unexpected snow weather (in Isaac Asimov's case, in NC). So just remember to drive slower and don't rely on the AWD to get you out of trouble, especially if you don't use snow tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lando posted:

I really want a 2.5rs with a sti swap:( sigh. Someone give me 20,000$

Keep your eyes peeled for deals on rs25.com
http://www.rs25.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=1739
That one stopped being listed, so I assume he sold it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

You can get swapped RSes for pretty cheap on RS25, but they're all either incomplete projects or half-assed with problems.
That particular example doesn't seem good or bad, but it would surprise if every example being sold in the community were bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lando posted:

They also do a 'you cant destroy it' video that is on their ad. They put some kind of flammable fluid on it, then set it on fire. Smack it with a hammer numerous times, jump up and down on it, and a few other harsh things. Not even a scratch.

FWIW when I was working on my rally car (not a Subie) in the parking lot, I set the CF hood down on the ground for a second and had someone drive their Accord over it when they weren't paying attention. Apart from some scratches and a bit of glued backing coming undone, it was fine. But all in all, a CF hood isn't worth it. Far cheaper to find a stock hood already painted in the same stock color.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah all the unlimited budget guys have Proflex. Some budget-minded people in NA seem to favor Hotbits.
Here's a fairly crappy thread about it on SpecialStage:
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8194

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

"[ELP posted:

"]
I just finally got the engine pulled apart from this experience I posted above. Turns out two of the rods shattered, filled the whole oil system with shredded metal. So I'm probably looking at about 4k+ now. The heads just went out to get tested, I hope to god they're fine. The pistons banged around inside the bore slightly and apparently it looks like they could be oversized, if they were we'll have to put in a whole new shortblock.

ffffffffuuuuck me.
Sorry, my body doesn't have a schadenfreude blow off valve and I may be in danger of overschadenfreuding at this point:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post353675851

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

any New England Subaru folks with nothing to do this weekend? One of the teams in New England Forest Rally had some of their crew bail. They're looking for people to drive the parts van around during the rally. Even one day would help them out. Otherwise they'd have to crew themselves which would suck. I would do it except the wedding I have to go to.
------------------
NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED! This is a great opportunity to see rally from the inside. If you have ever considered driving or co-driving this is a great place to check it out.

Our team is RTI Motorsports (Somerset Subaru Team)
We have done this rally a number of times.
Car is an open class Subaru Impreza STI RED
Last year we came in 3rd overall in regional.
We are seeded 14th (ish).

We need someone to drive around the van and set up service spots (we will show you how). At this late notice we are not looking for anyone with tons of experience but it would be nice.

I check my email throughout the day: travelchute yahoo.com
-------------------
I imagine they'd spring for your food, etc. You would get licensed day of as team crew and all that jazz.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grzydj posted:

Forget about getting any sleep however.

also you won't get to spectate much, since they really need you to be on the ball at all times. Though you will get up close with all the rally cars at service.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MMD3 posted:

sorry, I went back 20 pages ctrl+f'ing "oil" and didn't turn up any discussions on which kind to buy.

stupid broken search... what's it been like 3 years since search worked now or something?

The beta search is working, but not great to use:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/b/search

Be sure to deselect all subforums via the icon and then reselect the relevant subforums (AI, in this case)
Then check Show post previews so you can read the matching post text.
Up to you whether you want to group by thread or not. In this case, you probably don't want to group by thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does this car's price seem right?:
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/1427176943.html
description for longevity:

Car located in Boston area - original owner, never raced. Car is stock with the exception of a 22mm rear sway bar and Blaupunkt stereo. Well taken care of with good tires, shocks, struts, brakes and clutch - motor runs strong. Original paint is showing it's age and has the usual door dings. Moved to Boston and bought a new car - California registration is current. Would make an excellent project or winter car. 157k miles, headgaskets replaced at 137k. All season tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it helps, the naturally aspirated 2.5RSes generally do better in rallycross here than turbocharged cars.

I'm sure that's to do with better drivers than car capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wrar posted:

A regular 2.0 turbo is a bit of a pain in the rear end in a rallycross. It's difficult to keep the car in boost. Between that and the fact that the 2.5 weighs around 300 pounds less and is slightly smaller.

I can't imagine the 300lbs makes up for the power difference. Maybe it is nimbler. But yeah with some judicious shifting into tighter corners you should be able to keep revs into the 4000s. Not that I can talk; I stalled 3 times on my first runs out.