Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cat Terrist posted:

An RS 2.5 really is a drat good thing.

:( I want one so bad. The closest one is that $5000 I posted ealier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Make sure your spare is in good shape, bring a 1 foot square plywood board to stabilize your emergency jack, should you need to use it. Maybe buy a tow strap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

scradley posted:

It has some minor mods, fartcan exhaust, blow off and intake. I plan to take off the fartcan and BOV.

Be careful if the car seems to have been treated poorly:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post353675851

That car cost ELP a lot to get right, though it seemed to be have been modded even more shittily.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dayman posted:

The GC body style remains one of my favorite Japanese car designs ever. It's just going to be difficult with me starting a job soon to spend so much time performing repairs and tuning.

I thought it was pretty broken in? What happened with it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yet, I drove to work this morning in torrential rain with 60 degree temps (it was 30 by the time I left work.) A snow tire would have gotten me killed this morning
Do you think that a snow tire becomes a slippery mess in the rain or something? The tread pattern displaces water better than a hardcore all season. Yeah it'll be pretty soft, but tire manufacturers don't make snow tires to be some sort of ice and snow only queens.

quote:

I'm also going to be making a 120 mile highway round trip on Saturday where it isn't going to get out of the 20s but 'should' be dry. an hour on the highway at 70mph on dedicated snows in the dry?
I drove from Boston to New York and back in 50s weather on snow tires and beside from the howling, they didn't get destroyed or wear noticeably.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm sorry, but no. A tire optimized for snow clearing and has siping to get grip on ice is not going to be as optimal for water clearing as a good wet weather all seaason, they are completely different use profiles.

One major difference between snow tires and all seasons and summer tires is tread depth. People frequently let all seasons and especially summers run down and have shallow tread, radically making it easier to hydroplane. While snow tires tend to give up contact patch for the sake of their tread blocks, they resist hydroplaning because of how irregular their surface is.

I know the comparison test was a bit of an ambush by using a crappy all season, but even assuming some awesome all season could beat the snow by dozens of feet in wet braking distance, that isn't the whole story to driving safety. People still have to drive more carefully and within the limits dictated by the weather.

The only easy conclusion to draw from the comparison is don't run summers in the snow.

8ender posted:

Thats when I want the most grip I can get. Dry and wet driving is a cakewalk compared to a good snowstorm.

Yeah, completely agree. Beyond the context of a skidpad test, it is so much harder to see and read road conditions while it's snowing than even when it's pouring rain. When you're the first car out, you have to look pretty sharp just to see where the edges of the road are.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't really matter what kind of tires you are running if you are running them beyond their useful life and aren't paying attention to them.

In that sense, the comparo is appropriate, cuz tons of people run lovely Chinese "all-season" "tires."

That said, I'm sure the RE960 will work out just fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

If you are in New England and want to learn to drive better and safer in the snow, I highly suggest you look into taking the winter driving course at Team O'Neil School. It's money well spent.

I'd be taking it but I'm kinda poor since I'm in college. Good news is I know a guy around here who is an instructor there and he's gonna give me some tips next time it snows.

It's a good class, but it's easy to get sucked into the full 4-day school (or more, depending on who you are) because you're right along everyone else there for the rally school. After the first day, you have to leave while everyone stays to keep learning other stuff. People who are serious about it should sign up for their mailing list, as they occasionally have really good discounts for classes.

The only Subaru they have in their trainer fleet is an old GC coupe, with a ridiculously hard to get into 3rd seat in the back. But damned if that isn't the fastest and easiest car to drive by far.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just Another XY posted:

drat, why is it so expensive. :( $4k+ for 4 days, as an ex-student already in debt, haha.

The insurance and maintaining the cars, I imagine. I ploughed in a radiator and broke the brake lines on 2 separate cars on the 4th day. That wasn't even the worst damage that day. Last year one of the sessions was discounted 40%, you just have to decide to up and do it when the chance arises. Possibly one of the few really unique motorsports things in our area.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If the clutch is slipping as you accelerate from the stop, then yeah, that could cause your symptoms. Do you notice if your RPMs stay the same when you'r shuddering?

slowspeedracer posted:

i will go back and "hopefully" wrx swap.
What?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slowspeedracer posted:

Clutch is not slipping when starting from a stop, just when overtaking on the highway.

If the clutch isn't slipping, it can't be the source of any shuddering, since the rest of your driveline is connected as normal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tiny Faye posted:

People rallycross in outbacks? Now this is something I gotta see.

I've seen plenty of them at rallycross. Not hard when about 75% of the field is Subarus.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If I were a prospective buyer, I might prefer to do those things myself after having owned the car for a while. Seems unlikely that you'd be able to get your money's worth by making the car more appealing to the buyer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I don't think he was talking about his '02, he was talking about what to do to the '10 right off the bat.

Oh dooiiii. Explains the tail light comment.

ab0z posted:

I just want to thank all of you like kimbo and jamal
I am nowhere in jamal's league. He has tons of hands-on experience with and tech knowledge of Subarus. And inspires me to find a 1998 Legacy somewhere.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

I don't keep up with auto news very closely so perhaps my info is outdated or incorrect: My understanding is that Toyota and Subaru are working together on a RWD coupe - to be badged a Toyota in Japan and a Subaru elsewhere. If this is the case, can someone explain to me the marketing logic that would put a non-AWD Subaru into the US market? It seems like they've spent what, 15 years, building up their reputation for being The All Wheel Drive Brand and they're going to toss that away?

you can read a bunch of discussion about it here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3208427

I don't see how it would throw away Subaru's reputation. They don't have to market it that hard to get some sales to Initial D fanboys. Liz and Sally are not gonna get all mad at Subaru for putting out a small sporty coupe that isn't AWD.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just Another XY posted:

I think I'm just going to play more DiRT2
DiRT's driving model is really unsatisfying for some reason. You don't have that kind of braking power on dirt; I don't get how it works. But it's insanely fun to play the big Dakar trucks and ram your opponents on hairpins.

quote:

and save up for some swaybars in the future.
You don't necessarily need swaybars to do well in rallycross or rally driving in general. But I don't know that's what you were saying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Soften the front up, reducing grip on the rear is simply covering the real problem. Your car is not weight shifting right

Isn't that how the torsion bar VWs handle naturally?
e: gently caress I thought this was the rally thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Hmmm, The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is $105 per tire with a $50 rebate. this could be the win. How are your HTR Z III's with wet handling since we love out rains here?

I think unless anyone has a different opinion I'll pull the trigger on the dunlops later today.
They tend to be a bit quick with wear rate. On a light car like the Miata if not driven too crazily, you should see 10k easily, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

8ender posted:

Really the strangest gap in their lineup right now is the massive difference between the NA models and the WRX. Its a huge chasm right now. I'm not sure if a weak sauce mid market WRX is the answer or that Subaru would even be able to build one cheap enough to fit there. Maybe the Toyobaru is the missing piece.

Maybe they could cripple a WRX motor with weaker internals and put on a smaller turbo and call it an Impreza Turbo or something. The price gap isn't insurmountable, so I dunno if they necessarily need to do that model speciation.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Zsbaug24 posted:

I have an STI. And I never felt like the sidewalls were particularly soft. I've never had them roll on me even when I was autoxing. I dunno, perhaps I'm just extra easy on my tires. I think the major problem I find with subarus and tire life is the stock alignment. The 0 camber on the fronts will burn them up faster than anything. I had serious issues with the tire life until I had some negative camber put on the front.

I ran my car with decent negative camber up front and got plenty of rollover at 40 psi at the track:

Did you guys who were getting good wear rotating very frequently, and benefiting from opposite wear front to back or side to side?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lowered and even stiffer spring rates. Doesn't that mean more work for rally guys who're doing production class to set the cars back appropriately for rally?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is kinda neat:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110527740468

If only it were street legal for MA...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I dunno why he is including a Legacy trans but didn't swap it in in the first place over the 1.8L tranny.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

warwick5s posted:

The DWS wear indicator on those Contis is such a good idea that I have no idea how it wasn't thought of earlier.

I bet because most tires don't do that well in as wide a range of conditions, and aren't advertised as such. Also, if there's only set of indicators, that's asking a lot of the average car driver to check on them once in a while.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My friend's 1996 2.2L Impreza needed new plugs and wires. While it was in shop, he asked the mechanic to check on the timing belt. The mechanic said it was a bit cracked and he'd recommend replacing it and the water pump. The car has 49k miles on it. Do most people change their belts at 60k or so instead of the advertised 105k?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

RealKyleH posted:

If you care at all about sporty driving why didnt you get a WRX?

I think he's said before he couldn't afford it and the insurance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How did your paint hold up?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My friend says the power loss he feels when the A/C is on in his 2010 STi is extremely noticeable. Is that par for the course?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If my 06 is any indication, yes. It's a four banger after all. I suspect you can reduce it with a replacement underdrive(?) pulley but I don't know what the consequences of that are (if any).

That's what I brought up with him, but what about a tune? Is there enough wiggle room to get some extra torque from a tune with no other mods?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sockington posted:

Just throw two on each side of the bed, plop a piece of glass over top and call them bedside tables. Bonus storage in the middle.

I've heard that tires slowly give off some chemical used in their manufacture, which isn't good for breathing. Is that true?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

JayKay posted:

Tell me why this car is a bad idea

2002 Subaru Impreza - $6491

So front pipe, timing belt kit, and clutch...lets say $750 in parts and how many hours of labor?

Is that really the price that Imprezas carry in DC?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Blaise posted:

Act of God. Insurance should cover ya :D

What coverage do you have to get to cover those things?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Zap Branigan posted:

I was told that you cant replace just 2 tires on an AWD system because it would gently caress my transfer case or something. Is this true?
Yes, on AWD systems like Subaru's, you want all 4 tires spinning at the same rate in steady state.

quote:

Also I got some Nitto All Seasons stuck on there... Does Nitto make a decent tire or should I look into getting some extremecontact allseasons next time?

Well you already got it, so ride them out. By the time they need replacing, there're probably be a new ecosystem of tire models that will need consideration.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

8ender posted:

I've played with the AWD in a Rav4 (the slip and grip type) and it was the worst. Like this bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyLgYskj-oc&feature=related

If you've created an AWD system that sucks that much then really all you've done is add a lot of complexity for nothing and should be publicly shamed.
Finally, this is the point I was trying to make when the debate arose about everyone trying to offer AWD and being better than FWD.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This single picture has had me poking around for red hawkeyes.

Cat Terrist posted:

SHE'S BACK!

And I guess a 2006 given CT's compliments on the specific suspension setup. Did those suspension vagaries happen with US WRXes?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

Generally they'll just start clunking due to stiction between the inverted strut insert and housing.
they'll also add grease fittings to the rear struts to eliminate clunks

Is stiction the reason you hear clunking from any strut, other than strut mount problems, I mean. Or is the clunking particular to those STi struts?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

infrared35 posted:

Roger that. I wasn't wondering whether it was a good buy so much as I was wondering what the heck could be so badly damaged on a $12000 car that the insurance company would total it, when to my layman's eye the damage appears all cosmetic and doesn't even seem to reach the wheels.

The C-pillar near the start of the trunk looks tweaked. I could never trust a car with that kind of damage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

As DJ Commie said long ago, there's no way they could keep those proportions and run an AWD transmission behind a boxer motor; it'd have to be RWD.

Subaru in the US doesn't seem to be as vocal about talking to its community/fanbase outside of official channels, but it is weird that they haven't floated the idea of expanding the brand with a small car that ditches AWD for sportiness.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nm posted:

Well you could, a la Nissan, but it would be a complete rework of the way Subaru has done AWD for decades

You certainly could do it the normal RWD->AWD way. I don't think the Subaru engineers (or accountants) would lay down for such a corporate demand, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

allonblack posted:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5772305/this-is-the-subieyota-is-it-awd

Some nice shots of the new Subaru.

Despite Jalopnik trying to diss the placard at the show, the mockup shows packaging that doesn't rule out possible AWD. From this angle:
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gallery.php/?g2_view=largephotos.Largephotos&g2_itemId=338990
it seems like the engine is just barely ahead of the front wheel axis.

I can see the platform being one suitable for Subaru AWD, which maybe is what the placard was saying.