Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Awesome.
I'll whore out my 2005 Legacy GT wagon (manual, no-sunroof) that I've whored out so many times before

AccessPort V2
Racecomp Tarmac 1 Coils
Cobb Swaybars
SuperPro LCA bushings
Summer: Re01Rs on 17x7.5 SSR Competitions
Winter: Nokian RSIs on OEM wheels
Street/Auto-x: Hawk HPS
Track: Carbotech XP-10

Best picture ever:

What Subaru's are made for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

azflyboy posted:

Also, I can't think of anything more fun than finding an icy, empty parking lot and tossing my Forester around for a little while.
Frozen lakes are better
Subaru's need wipers for the side windows.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't they eat transmissions like popcorn, or is that just the SVX?

We had a rental '08 Legacy on a trip last month...even for a base-model 170hp sedan with an autotragic, it was actually a very nice car. Enough so to make me seriously consider a Subaru in the future, especially the Legacy and its derivatives for when certain family members decide they need a new car.
A rental 05 Legacy when my car was in the body shop also got me thinking legacy.
They're even better with a manual and a turbo

burtonos posted:

This is on my "to do before I die" list. All I have are a couple big parking lots.

Watching something spin around 4 times and then just charging off is breath taking.
Come to Minnesota in Feburary
Hell the speed limit on the lakes is 50mph. . . .

nm fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 2, 2008

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I believe it. The only reason I haven't said "for myself" in there is the price on a new one, and the abuse on a used one. I could afford a new WRX, but I'd have to convince the wife and she'd much rather have a Mini Cooper; and while I could swing a used WRX or Legacy GT without her approval, I know they get raped hard.
LGTs don't get abused so much.
My wagon still had most life left on orginal RE92s after 36k when I picked it up ;)
It also still had indentations from the baby seats :)

ssjonizuka posted:

Fixed it for you...

Atlantic Blue Pearl, wagon, and a face not just a mother could love ;)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

I did an Ice Racing event once a few winters back. I had the driver's side window down to accommodate a side mounted camera, and the track was essentially a large clockwise loop, so I was basically sideways without a windshield the entire time. I had snow everywhere in the car after that.
Yeah.
I literally have had to stop to wipe off the side window so I cansee where I'm going.

TurboLuvah posted:

Goddamn those are such terrible tires, do your wagon a favor and get some RE050A Pole Positions.
They got tossed out nearly the minute I got them even with 1/2 tread
Nokian RSIs and RE01Rs (which are much better than the PPs)

Oh and

;)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Does that Subie in the back there have a roof scoop mod?
It's probably a roof vent for the interior due to a removed A/C system.
Local guy here has one on his (still street legal) rally car.
Taking a sawzall to a roof seems scary.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dammit.
Anyone know anything that will trigger an 'er SS' on a 2005 legacy GT that's not a speed sensor.
Speed sensor was replaced, and it's still there. Next move is that ring on the axle unless there's some common issues.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ChunksNensja posted:

Rear wheel bearings. The ABS tone ring/speed sensor pickup on them is rubber and when dirt gets in there it scratches the rubber cover and messes the signal up. 05s have a unitised bearing so you dont need a press like the older ones, its just 4 bolts and an axle nut to change it out.
Sweet, plus there's a 100k mi warranty on them, free fixes that involve no work from me are the best.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 12, 2008

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

yeah as long as you have the right socket plugs are not too bad. I don't see how anyone could get away with charging more than an hour for labor. Or $50 per plug.
It's not Subaru, but the local Audi dealer here is over $150/hr on labor (I've never paid the local subaru dealer, so i don't know the rate) So in reality, with massive part markups and say 1.5hr book, I can see where nearly $300 comes from.
Not that I'd pay it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ChunksNensja posted:

Rear wheel bearings. The ABS tone ring/speed sensor pickup on them is rubber and when dirt gets in there it scratches the rubber cover and messes the signal up. 05s have a unitised bearing so you dont need a press like the older ones, its just 4 bolts and an axle nut to change it out.
Is the ring part of the wheel bearing on these cars then?
Or do they just share the same seal?
(I know nothing about ABS and would like to know something before i take it to the dealer tommorow)

nm fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 13, 2008

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ChunksNensja posted:

Yep, all one piece. The ABS ring is hidden under the black rubberyou see at the top.
Ok, so my Subaru dealer may be trying to gently caress me ove ron this. It was the wheel bearing (Thanks for that diagnosis).
Now they seem to be preparing to claim that me or another shop tore the seal. This wouldn't be possible without removing the brake rotor, correct?
Because the last time the brake rotor was off was ~10-15k mi ago. (Wow, these HPSes have lasted a long time, given that that includes two (rain) track days at blackhawk)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mutar posted:

I just picked up a 2001 Legacy GT Limited so this thread is wonderful to see. I was wondering if anyone could help guide me towards what brake pads I should be getting, as mine are just about shot. As much as I would like to try it, I don't really see any track time in the near future, but I would like to get some decent performance out of them. I believe I've seen people mention the HPS series as being being excellent for cars that see the track, but I think I'm looking for more of a daily use price performer. Any suggestions?
HPS are great for cars that don't see the track.
They're crappy track pads, fade city.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ChunksNensja posted:

The only way to damage it yourself would be if you removed the driveshaft. I've never seen one damaged by negligence, it's usually driving on lots of rough and dirty roads. And it's not really an uncommon problem so when they are trying to deny you warranty on it ask them why they didn't correctly diagnose the problem the first time.
I think i may be fighting subaru on this one. Yay.
Looking at the part (which i've kept), the sensor ring is just made very cheaply. I could damage it with a fingernail -- how exactly did this seem like a good idea to subaru?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Alpine Mustache posted:

Is there a good reason that my local dealer wants to charge $100 to change the cabin air filter on my '08 legacy?
Even after compensating for inflated dealer prices on everything, that sounds like a LOT for an air filter?
On an 05, it's even worse. First time you have to remove the glovebox. You guys get a door that should make it easy. DIY.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

Oh God, does that ever suck to do. They installed the door halfway through MY05 if I remember correctly, it's super easy. Do it yourself!
I still have no cabin airfilter.
I'm too lazy to DIY and to cheap to pay someone to remove my loving glovebox.
Also, everyone else's LGT transmission sucks right? And reverse is hard to get into?

nm fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 16, 2008

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

But yes, reverse was sometimes a PITA to get into, but it's like that pretty much every manual transmission car I've driven, old or new. Next time you can't get it into reverse, try putting it into first (or fourth) then trying reverse.
I consider that hard to go into.
The car i learned on was an Audi A4 and for all it's faults the transmission in that car was awesome. And reverse was easy as pie to get into.
I have the kartboy bushings, which has made it better. I'm putting extra-S in the gearbox as soon as I can, hopefully that'll help.

My trackday got cancelled. I now have to wait until Apirl to see how my XP-10s work :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Forester STI? If you mean XT, is it really that close to the WRX STi?

The Forester can take to mods very well. However stock, it's pretty soft.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Baby Hitler posted:

The more I've been working on the various turbo Subarus, the more I realize the incredible amount of work to make everything even barely accessible, a turbo boxer is a packaging nightmare, even more so with modifications like a larger turbo and under-manifold inlet piping.
My last car was a VW. The Subaru is a packaging dream to me.
It's all about perspective

Wait, I don't have to pull the motor for a clutch?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Please don't pay $18k for that. I paid about that for a 35k mi LGT manual wagon a year ago. And I only overpaid due to perfect service records and 1 owner.
Modded cars aren't really worth much more than unmoidded cars.
He has a CAI, does he have tuning for that? hell, why does he need that? No "stage 2" car will benefit from that.
The suspension is crap. New springs and no new shocks? There's much more wrong with the damping on this car than springs. And lowering an LGT too much isn't so great for handling.
No mention of re-enforced sway bar brackets?
Gutted pipes instead of proper jobs AND he still has orginal catted ones too?
6000k HIDs?
This car just feels half-assed.

Oh and a 35k 05 LGT sedan was going for ~$14k at auction this summer. The bottom has fallen out of the used market today.
You could build a better car than that with some bilstiens, sways, new pipes and an access port. Total spent if you buy most of that used? $1000-2000.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigShroom posted:

Appreciate the input guys, thats exactly the kind of break down I was looking for nm. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a one owner LGT thats been kept stock.
Honestly, be ready to travel.
A $300 plane ticket is so worth getting the right car. I bought mine in Utah. Utah, Colorado, and new England seem to get all the LGTs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FecalFajita posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a 2002-2005 WRX with around 50k miles. It seems like everyone just beats the poo poo out of these cars though...Are there any tell tale signs that these cars have been beat/neglected?
Does it have the orginal clutch and transmission?
If not, it's probably been beat to poo poo.
Or just look at the cars. Avoided modded cars.

Cat Terrist posted:

They have RALLY on them. Duh, of course they are God's gift to mudflaps.

No, they are ricing BS that real rally drivers laugh at - You can do better and cheaper with a set of aftermarket rubber ones or hell, make your own with the stuff that trucks use. If you want REAL rallying protection, the urathane is at least twice as thick and a good deal wider and drops lower, while extending higher up the arch.
Strangely enough though, if you own an LGT and want something to keep winter from tearing the crap out of your rear-quarter panels (a problem with LGT wagons up in MN) and don't go off-road and don't want to look like a wanna-be rally racer, they're perfect.
Mine don't even say anything on them.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 15, 2008

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ITS RICER poo poo!

Australia doesn't even really get winter.
well, I don't think Kangaroos would be that mobile in 2 feet of snow.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Remember that the clutch in the LGT is intentionally weak to prevent you from destroying that transmission.
Also how the hell have you killed in in 50km?
My LGT is my first manual transmission, have been tracked, autocrossed almost every summer weekend, and generally driven hard. For 60k mi. I can accelerate (using the term loosely) from ~20mph in 5th with no hint of slip.
If you're abusing your clutch that much, you should consider whether you want to pass that abuse to your transmission.

Also, I don't know what Canadian warranty terms are, but in the US, for 3yrs, 36k mi, the clutch is a warranty item. Really. So are wiper blades, brake pads, and lights. Subaru is awesome.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TeamIce posted:

So after waiting for 2 months, my Racecomp Tarmac 1's have finally arrived for my LGT. The shop is trying to sell me on a set of Whiteline sway bars to go with them - anyone have any experience with these? I know Whiteline's a good brand, but wondering if it's worth the comparative performance increase.
I have these coils. They are amazing. However, I'd note that the "default" height they recommend is a bit low after the shocks settle.
You do need some sort of sway bars. I have the cobbs, largely because I got a package deal from racecomp. Make sure you get the re-enforced brackets, or you will break them (AVO makes some).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

RE-08 WRXes

08 STIs are leaving lots for ~$27k, so if you have the means. . .

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

It would have to be a high volume dealership and also a base model STi to have a chance of getting that deal. I would imagine it would be hard to find a dealership with enough volume to secure the $7000 dealer cash that still has any on the lot. I feel sorry for the low volume dealerships, because they're going to get stuck with all theirs.
I'd pay a $200 plane ticket for one if I were in the market.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Turbo Car posted:

It's not hard to get the WRX as fast as an STi for cheaper than just buying one. It's just not going to be as comfortable at that level. You're right: it is fun tuning it bit by bit, but it will become an addiction.
Diffs aren't cheap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sweet, I get to buy a new LCA (and hopefully only that, pray for my coilovers) for my LGT.
Why'd they have to put a curb there?

Thats $200-300 I'll never get back

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

So you were whipping around in the snow in an empty lot, nailed a curb and bent the poo poo out of your LCA? :)
Petty much.
I miss frozen lakes, no curbs.

Turbo Car posted:

He claims he was trying to avoid another car, but in fact he was just going too fast and nailed the curb :)
Yeah, yeah, yeah. ;)
The blame is all mine.

I'd point out how loving happy I don't have a spec B. The spec B has the trick $400 LCAs. I have the lovely stamped steel ones, but they only cost $130.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 7, 2008

nm
Jan 28, 2008

People under estimate the value of good diffs (STI).
The things I want most for my car (2005 LGT) in this order is:
0. LCA ;)
1. Front LSD
2. Rear non-goo LSD
3. Center non-goo LSD.

I get a lot of slippage up front right now in auto-x and a bit in road courses. I'll never do the upgrades partially out of auto-x classing and partially out of not wnating to blow thousands (probably over $7k) on diffs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The legacy wagon is not impressed by your trunk space but is jealious of diffs and extra HP.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

cmorrow001 posted:

Windshield wiper recommendations?

Mine need replacing and I'm trying to decide whether to get more OEM ones or something different. I'm hoping for something that will last a while.
If it is yunder 3 years 36k, subaru gives you free ones.
After that I like Bosch microedges

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

See, I've seen microedges recommended all the time, but I've never had luck with them.

They always seem to leave a smeary film of water on the windshield that takes a few moments to clear basically giving you this sort of trail effect from the wipers.
Honestly, I've never found a wiper that works to my satisfaction after about 2 uses. However, I find the microedges to last the longest without sucking too much.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mat_Drinks posted:

That was why I edited my post to basically say so much, that the wrx is great, but so is the sti. I personally, wanted an sti over a wrx, but I totally understand if someone gets the wrx instead and will still compliment them for their excellent taste in cars.

True.

Turns out I need an new LCA, tie rods, and a wheel. loving hell. I barely tapped the drat curb too.
At leats the coilover is OK and I got a new used wheel (with no defects) for $125.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ScaryFast posted:

Next week I get to pay off my used 2002 Protege 5, pay off most or all of my Visa, and am free to hopefully hit up the Subaru dealer near work to talk about a new 2009 Impreza 5 door Sport. So excited. I'll need Rally Armor and winter tires on steel rims though to really enjoy it.

It snowed a bunch last night which was fun, but my hand brake is broken on my car so I can't really have with it. It's also slow to get moving in the snow which kinda sucks.
the best part is that you won't need an ebrake to do it in a subaru :)

God, i want my car back!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Baby Hitler posted:

The auto is so mindboggling bad and unsuited to the turbo engines that you should just get an Audi A3.
Do they still put that 4 speed in the impreza?
God that thing sucks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

How the hell does everyone burn out thier LGT clutches so fast?
I'm at 60k mi with track days and autocrosses and I can still "accelerate" (using the term loosely) from 15mph in 5th with no slip. Also, my first manual.

(Crap, there's now a new clutch in my future isn't there)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

It's amazing to me the number of people that I know around here who drive Subarus who don't know that you can't just tow it by lifting the front wheels. I was talking with a friend of mine at work with an early 2000's Outback that up and died on her the other day, and I'm almost positive that they towed it via lifting the front wheels. :( If that hosed up her diffs, would the car even be driveable? They wouldn't have towed it more than a mile or so (it was from our work to the closest shop). Would the damage be minimal due to the light distance?
Actually some of the automatic subarus have a fuse you can pull that lets it be towed two wheels on the ground.

Ziploc posted:

The true test is uphill in 3rd or 4rth at peak power RPM and WOT. If your clutch can hold that your fine. Your engine is making dick all torque at 15mph in 5th so of course your clutch can hold it. But your clutch is fine anyway.
That too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

Here's one for The Slaughter and/or anyone else who works at a Subaru dealership. I managed to run over something this week that tore my CV boot and screwed up the splash guard under the car. The tech gave me part number 56410AG06B to replace it, but all I've found when trying to buy the part online is 56410AG06E. Anyone know if it's the same part? I'd hate to get under there and find that the holes don't line up.
I don't know the answer, but it would help with some vehcile details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MMD3 posted:

my dealership just sent me a letter that I'm due for a 40,000 mile service appointment. wtf is due at 40,000? I thought the big stuff was all 30, 60, 90.
http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/index.jsp?from=topNav

I'd note that my UOAs on my LGT are indicating that Subaru's 7500mi oil recommendation is optimistic even with higher-end synth (though this involves track days, auto-x and general jackassery)