Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TurboLuvah posted:

I still change my oil every 3k on the clock no matter what, in any of my cars :)

Thats probably a bit excessive if you run synthetic. Honestly, i wouldn't run dino in a modern turbo more than a mile or two though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bud Manstrong posted:

There's no question the oil can definitely go longer than that. The problem is that when owners come in for blown turbos from the banjo bolt screen getting clogged, people have been reporting that they're getting denied warranty coverage if they're not following that 3,750 mile TSB.
Let me put it more accurately analysis of my used oil, indicates that it won't make it to 7,500mi. This is indications because I'm slowly moving up from 3750 mi.
Again, I drive hard, but this is also good oil (pentosin)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

on my n/a 2.2, blackstone said it was fine to go 7500 on semi-synthetic.
Thats why I said LGT ;)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MMD3 posted:

gently caress, they can't be that cheap can they? Les Schwab charged her $85/tire for them.

Cheap chinese crap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MMD3 posted:

I've never spun my tires so they can't be that horrible. does anyone actually have any reviews that prove they're the shittiest thing ever or something?
These tires are so cheap no one reviews them
Tires are the best modification you can do to your car and can really transform your car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

it takes a lot of power to spin four wheels. Braking and cornering have a lot less to do with the awd and a lot more to do with the tires.
Yep. And if you boughta subaru to drag race, you bought the wrong car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BannedForLulz posted:

Hey guys, im going to be driving to Florida from Chicago this Saturday. Im running a Cobb AP 93 Octane map and wanted to know if 93 Octane is actually available down where im headed (I should be taking I-75 all the way down and I'll be right outside Port Charlotte.) If there indeed is no 93 Octane down there, can I revert to a 91 Octane map now and run 93 on the 91 map until I fill up with the 91?
I'm not sure I'd expect to find 93 everywhere ona cross-country road trip
Even here in minnesota, 93 is hard to find.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

6. Slight shudder in steering wheel under high speed braking and slightly at highway speeds (gonna try rotating tires to see if it changes.)
This could be caused by a front wheel bearing failure as well.
My Subaru currently sounds like a turbo prop. Awesome!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Turbo Car posted:

Did you get everything repaired?
Not the wheel bearing.
My car got seriously hosed:
The wheel bent (this seems to happen all the time, the LGT wheels seem fragile. One shop has two LGTs that just came in with what looked like 3 perfect wheels each, but once they put them on teh spinner, all 6 were bent. Finally got a decent used wheel).
The control arm bent
The tie rods bent
And now it seems like the wheel bearing was damaged too.
poo poo and I was like 10mph or less when I hit too. Rally heritage my rear end.

Need to find me parking lots sans curbs :)

I should try to get subaru to replace the wheel bearing under warranty (I ahve 500 miles left) as they haven't fixed anything but recalls under warranty, but somehow I think the sight of a new CA and tie rods would make them wonder.

Regarding ABS. I had that happen as well. At least on the LGTs, there is a small space between the wheel hub and the sensor ring, just perfect for getting rocks caught in them. At a particularly rocky autocross site (canterbury), it seems a rock got in there and just tore up the sensor ring. ABS failed. I spun twice that weekend (legacys don't spin easy), flat spotted my RE-01Rs, but won ESP both days taht weekend. :) At least on the LGT, the sensor ring is part of the wheel bearing making it a bicth to repalce. Seems a design defect too as the sensor ring is insanely weak and the space is just perfect for trapping rocks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I'm not so sure that my shudder is a wheel bearing as there are no other symptoms. I've had the car up on jacks and grabbed the wheel and tried pulling it in all directions and there's zero play in it. So, while possible, I'm not convinced.
I orginally read you statement as a card in the spokes from the front wheel.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

So, what's the latest word in brake pads that will see mostly street and about 10 or so autocrosses a year? Looks like my front brakes are just about shot.

I've previously had Carbotech Bobcats up front and they seemed to do the job well, but I was wondering if there have been any other new pads on the market since then that would fill the role better.
I've been happy with my HPSes in the role. I've also heard good things about the HP+ (even in the cold) but they weren't sold in an LGT fit when i was shopping for pads.
HPS is probably better for autox as I think they deal with less heat better though.

I've actually been thinking bobcats for my next set as apparently they'll play nicer with my track pads (XP-10).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Me-262 posted:

No, go with the HP+ and you'll be fine. They take so little time to warm up that usually its only a "first thing in the morning" issue and even then you just press a little harder at the first stop sign. Not like you'll run through it.

The HP+ will grab a lot harder and last a lot longer and they're good for lapping days without too much fade.

I've never had HP+ (as they don't make them for the LGT), but I've always thought that first run capablity (the reason Z1s are so popular) was pretty important for auto-x. I've never gotten anything resembling fade in auto-x.

For track days I'll agree, but that is a very very differnet situtation.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

You just need a cloth seated legacy. Only Subaru car I've ever felt completely comfortable in (6'4")

How much is money an issue. Really tall people get seat rails modified -- go to a junk yard and see how they're mounted up. If you're in luck, you can just relocate the holes in the rail. Then you can even use the OEM Seat (meaning you get to keep the airbag).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DONT DO IT posted:

Sorry if this isn't the place for this (doesn't really seem thread worthy), but what do you guys think about the 06/07 Legacy GT? Is the spec.B worth the extra effort to find?

I've been looking at the maintenance records for my Audi S4 and it's loving depressing how much I've spent over the last 3 years...
The 2005+ Legacys are great (I own one). Lots of power, pretty reliable, great chassis, etc.

FYI 05 will give you a wagon with a manual and the option to not have a sunroof or leather.

The 06 spec B is only worth it if you don't plan on touching the suspension. (That is thie rmain improvement). The stock base LGT handles notibly worse than the spec B, but with an upgraded suspension an LGT will be better than a Spec B (and spec B with the same suspension will be basically the same except for the lighter CAs).
The 07 spec Bs get a 6-speed which is nicer than the 5 in the base LGT. It is hard to say if it is worth it or not though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

It's the STi 6-speed, so it'll run lower RPM at highways too. I'm just below 3k rpm at 80mph, and my fiancee's Outback w/ the 5-speed is at 3500rpm at like 72 or so.

Also, the nav system, and 18" wheels are some of the other additions the Spec B has. Oh, and a moonroof, and the two-tone interior with the leather bits.
OBs have a different final drive than the LGT
The 05-06 LGts also have a different final drive than the 07+. (The 05-06s are quicker, the 07+s get better economy)
As for the other stuff, that is extra weight. The transmission, suspension, and r diff are the main differences.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sabotaged posted:

I'm taking my '05 LGT in on Monday for them to take a look at my squeaky clutch pedal. Not so coincidentally, the warranty on the car expires the day after. Is there anything in particular I should get them to take a look at before it expires?
Wheel bearings and the banjo filter on the turbo oil line.

Oh and the clutch seak is likely just a switch.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

I would say that you want to be sure you're okay with the stereo in the 05/06 Legacy, as it's not really upgradable (there are options, but there few/far between and expensive). If you've got an ipod/other mp3 player and you're okay listening to it through an FM transmitter, then you're fine.

If not, the '07's came with an Aux-in, which is much better quality, and an mp3 CD changer. The stereo in the 05/06 was the reason I didn't buy one instead of my STi back in 2004.
True, though there is a cheaper aux-in option in the "jazzy" aux-in mod for the 05-06 radio. However, I do wish i had one.

Also, if you see one, sit in a non-limited 05. I find the cloth in the non-limited better than the leather. (And the sunroof eats a shocking amount of headroom)

Also, replace the goddamn tires if it stiull has the stockers.

I've been without my car for a month (I'm out of town). I've driven an RX-8 around the track, I get to drive an Infiniti M35x (whgich is very nice), but drat do I miss my car. These's just something "right" about the Legacy GT.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 8, 2009

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MMD3 posted:

ahhhh, that's right... forgot about that. I was looking at LGT's and was thinking about how much that would suck.
Yeah, you either need a clean sweep, hook something up in the "cubby," or buy one of the (expensive) kits that isolate the climate control from the HU and give you a DIN or 2 DIN space.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

What's up DGM LGT buddy? :hfive: 5spd? Either way, you'll love it. I highly recommend getting a clear-bra on that ASAP.
Agreed.
The only reason i don't have one is that the PO's 30k mi tore up the front end already.
The paint sucks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Beerios posted:

Is there any difference between the Outback XT and Legacy GT wagon besides the taller springs and a few bits of plastic? I desperately want a wagon with a turbo and a stick, and I've been looking at getting an LGT sometime this year if finances allow, but manual LGT wagons are like hen's teeth, whereas Outbacks with the same configuration are much more common (and were made for more than one goddamn year). I don't really mind the looks of the Outback (plus the two-tone finish looks less likely to suffer the death of a thousand stone chips), and whichever wagon I got would be getting new struts and springs pretty soon anyway, so is there any good reason not to expand my search? Also, am I likely to get a better deal if I hold off till spring/summer, when fewer people will care about AWD, much like the way convertibles get cheaper in the winter?
Much smaller brakes, different rear-end.
Also, the suspension setup is a bit more than just springs. People have to buy different suspension setups for them and good ones are rare.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TeamIce posted:

So I've decided to put some serious power into my Legacy GT - I've already got a Perrin catless uppipe, Perrin catted downpipe, and Perrin top mount intercooler sitting in my garage (Haven't installed any of these yet). I figure that since I'm going to have the install professionally done, I might as well go whole hog, and just replace the turbo while I've at it - I've got a Deadbolt 18G on order. I figure with all this and a proper tune, I should be pushing around 320 horsepower at the wheels.

While I'm doing all of this, should I replace the catback exhaust too? I've generally regarding CBE as a somewhat unnecessary modification, but I figure it might help the new turbo breathe a bit better. My train of thought in this is since I'm going to need to pay for a tune for my Accessport, I might as well do all the mods at once and only need to buy a single tune.

If I were to replace it, I figure I'd replace it with the one Borla makes - most of the other ones sound far too ricey and loud. (I guess the old Corvette owner side of me is kicking in - from the sound clips I've heard, the Borla makes almost a V8 sort of rumble).

It's amazed me how much more willing I've been to sink money into this than my old C5. With the KW Tarmac 1's and swaybars I've put on, this thing handles like a dream too - however, the stock tires need to go too.
The stock exhaust is pretty decent on the LGT, but once you go BT, there are enough gains to justify it. Good legacy GT setups cost a lot. I've also been told that the SPT exhaust is actually pretty darn good (and sounds good), but expensive.
However, there was some guy with a pretty heavily modified LGT wagon here running to stock cans (though I believe the rest was replaced). There is some value in it as it runs quiet as hell, pretty sleepy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would opt for the Outback XT or Legacy GT wagon over the Outback H6; not necessarily because the H6 is worse, but because I suspect it's hard to go back from forced induction to free breathing. Additionally, once you do get the urge to go and tune it (you will) it will probably be easier.

Your roommate's blown head gasket is possibly due to the bad run of head gaskets in the initial 2.5L machines; I believe this is mentioned previously in the thread, but I was told that at this point Subaru had them outsourced and the outsourcer did a terrible job.

Here are some links about the head gasket issues:
http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

I'm not sure of the difficulty of installing the new head gasket, but a dealership can certainly do it if you can't. In my own experience I've yet to find a 2.5L Subaru in the used market (out of about 10-12 I've looked at) that hasn't had this done.

If you're interested in the Outback "body style" but want something smaller, I recommend the 2000-and-earlier GC Impreza "L" wagons; they are quite fetching (more than the Outback, in my opinion) and may have the 2.2L "bulletproof engine."
The FI LGTs and OBXTs are 05+ and much more expensive that those cars.

You may want to consider the same generation legacy GT if you don't need the clearance. Those are the same 2.5L NA as the others, but comes with some different handling equipment.
However, I've heard that until 05, the 2.5 NA may have headgasket issues, but I'm no expert.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If you can pad a few more bucks, get a 2006, with the 2.5L turbo Torks!
Oh and also don't forget the 9-2x, which is a WRX trying to look like a SAAB. They tend to be really cheap. They also had the STi steering rack and some extra options.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MMD3 posted:

I'm sure this is pretty common-sense stuff for you guys but it helps me understand it quite a bit. I'm sure the tires and my speed were definite factors but I certainly slammed on the breaks quite a ways back in anticipation of the corner. I think I figured the ABS would do everything for me and most likely panicked and over steered. I distinctly remember seeing the other car in the ditch and thinking "oshit, brake brake brake" before sliding a good 10 yards.
When all 4 wheels have no traction, you're boned.
You MIGHT have been able to do a bit of a scandinavian flick (mad tyte drifto), but if you're lacking some real skill (espcially given the tires), it likely would have just resulted in your car wrapping around that tree.

tires are everything in the snow.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

For the better. In the accelerate after straightening out scenario, if you didn't nail it and get grip you woulda slammed into the back of that Mazday thing.
Exactly
Given your tires and the stuff around you, two feet in really was the best choice. Any other, you might have svaed it or you might be shopping for a new car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nerds.
I press pedal and car goes!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

There should be an absolute poo poo ton of Subarus in Pennsylvania as well, they're all over the North East.
I looked at LGT.com simply so I could prove him wrong and cite one.
Any questions about shops in Pitssburgh seem to be unanswered or answered with dealers. This surprises me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

dreggory posted:

That's fine. I really didn't have any frame of reference when I started looking so that 'budget' was just a shot in the dark. If $150/tire is what will get me some nice rubber then I'm perfectly happy paying it.

What kind of tread life can you expect with something like those goodyears, anyway?

Also, what is the normal procedure for buying from tirerack.com and getting them put on? I've been advised (and seen for myself) not to go to places like discount tire, etc. What's the alternative?
Discount tire (and only discount tire) is actually a pretty good place.
They're treated me right and gone well above the call of duty.
This season I killed my Dunlops (Z1s) within 7 autocrosses and 7000mi (yay heavy AWD cars). I had another autcorss in late august and everyone was out of Z1s due to nationals. Discount tire said the could get them. They hosed up and got DZ101s. One day before the next autocross.
They order up some RE-01Rs and mount some 615s for free. I inform the guy that they would be coming back destroyed (2-3 autcorss events before the RE-01Rs showed). He didn't care.
They mounted $400+ worth of tires (probably only $200ish to them, but still, they didn't have to do anything) at no charge to me to save my next two weekends. That is loving sweet and earned a customer.
They also use torque wrenches and the employees generally seem more with it than lube moneys (though i still watch em)

Know the tire you want before hand and know what tirerack charges. They'll price match it (plus no shipping and mounting fees)

nm fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 7, 2009

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

How do you like your RE-01R's? I have some on my 2.5RS and love the poo poo outta them. I got new tire time coming up soon so I was wondering what others had to say. Way better then the Dunlops I had before and they poo poo all over the RE92's.
They're pretty sweet.
The Z1s are a better dry autocross tire, they heat up sooner.
The RE-01Rs are better on the track IMHO (they hold up to heat better) and are easier to live with on a daily basis and the rain performace is great (2 days are blackhawk in the rain, awesome).
They also seem to resist rolling better than the Z1s.

They're also discontinued though (I've heard good rumors about the new tire, but nothing solid)

the Z1s are also, much cheaper.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I'd also note that on at least the heavier cars (mine is 3300, whcih isn't that heavy) the 615 suck balls comapred to teh z1s and RE-01Rs
(And the Z1s in my size cost about as much as falkens)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Where in the Northeast? If snow is on the ground for a couple months out of the year, the RE-01Rs won't cut it. You'll have to get a set of winter tires or downgrade to all seansons.
You mean any time of the year.
RE-01Rs even on dry pavement below about 40F get scary. They're a summer only tire

nm
Jan 28, 2008

wrok posted:

This is how they got me -- fell in love with a rental. As of last night, I'm the proud new owner of an 06 Legacy. :woop:

Sadly, I've got rather minimal car experience (you know, outside of driving) but I hope to learn :)
This is also why I own a legacy GT wagon.
I had an 2005 Legacy 2.5i sedan rental and though, hey, this would be a sweet car with a turbo, a manual, and a bigger trunk.
Thanks Hertz!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Turbo Car posted:

And they tram all over the place. Hit a paint line at 10 mph and you're going where ever it's going.

Still don't get how you think they're good in the rain, nm. U crazy.
All I have are track day and autocross results. ;)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BastardAus posted:

Guys, I was just going over the pros and cons of an ex-fleet boring as poo poo 2006 Toyota Camry (circa 10-30000 miles) OR an 05 2003 SUBARU LIBERTY 3GEN MY03 RX AWD SPECIAL EDITION which is a wagon with 88000 miles on it.
Same price range, AU$14000.
Could someone more learned than myself tell me what's due to go wrong with this automatic Subi, versus my manual 1992 GX Liberty (probably called a Legacy in the US) which has cost me a boatload in the last 8 years due to stupid loving mechanics and their inability to install a gearbox correctly (on it's 3rd after the first mech hosed the install on the 2nd).
Thanks guys, I'm a worthless lurker but I enjoy reading AI for it's plethora of useful info from dedicated petrolheads.
What motor is in that?
The 2003 N/A 2.5s may have head gasket issues.
The 4-speed subaru automatic sucks to drive, but is actually quite durable.

edit: Wait, an 05 2003 Subaru Liberty? is that a 2005 or a 2003?

ssjonizuka posted:

Hey guys, quick question. 08 LGT, CBE - I got a K&N panel filter for my birthday (last july) and have yet to put it in. I know general consensus is any sort of intake mod you need to get tuned. Is that true of the panel filters as well? To be perfectly clear, I have not had the car tuned at all. No AP/UTEC/etc.
You're fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

pdavious posted:

I was the proud owner of a 2001 WRX (bugeye) for 500 miles, before second gear decided to explode. Does anyone know the cost of a gearbox for one of these, I'm in the UK.
I don't know, but consider one with a strengthened 5-speed (wider gears or the LGT transmission) or maybe a 6-speed if you ahve the cash.
The transmission on thsoe are the weak point of the car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

In short, I'm lucky to average 21-22 my commute during winter.
Really? I'm making about 20 city this winter. My highway milage is much higher.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

The extra bloat of the GT doesn't help. I also just changed out my air filter (17k miles on it), so I'm hoping that will help a bit as well. ;)
I have an LGT wagon.
Though the 05s are quite a bit lighter than the 08s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Eugene Debs posted:

So I've decided to trade in my 99 Impreza OBS.

It got hit recently and while it was at the body shop, I got an 09 Legacy for a rental car. It had all the good qualities of my Impreza with none of the bad ones like the terrible interior, horrible wind noise and a suspension which is simultaneously hard riding and bad handling.

I do need a little more clearance, though, so I'm looking mostly at Outbacks. How does the Outback handle compared to the Legacy? I know it's the same platform, but the Outback has a different suspension. Also I'm looking at the turbo version. I assume it's the same aftermarket as a Legacy GT? Also do they still have the horrible tires? The Legacy I got had some decent Yokohamas on it, but I don't know if those were original.

I'd consider Foresters, too, but I think the Legacy platform is better than the Impreza one. The Forester really seems like an OBS with different skin.
The OB rides softer.
It also needs outback specific suspension, of which there is a very small amount. Don't buy the Megan racing coilovers unless you like your coilover becoming 2 pieces. Itherwise pretty much everything engine wise works (not cat backs)

Eugene Debs posted:

The thing is I wanted to go with a used Outback XT so I could get the current gen Legacy platform. I even found an 05 locally with a manual. If I was to get a used Forester, I'd be getting the older platform, which I don't like as much, and I've never even seen one with a manual transmission, which is a must.
Well, that discounts the new Forester XT anyhow, as it is auto only. (I'd also note that after seeing a new and an old FXT, both stock, around an auto-x course, the older one seems better suited for pavement duty)

If handling matters and you want a wagon, i'd recommend holding out for a 2005 Legacy GT wagon. You mayt have to travel for it, and they cost more.
The Older FXTs did come in manual.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 21, 2009

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Eugene Debs posted:

I looked at Legacy GT wagons, but I do a lot of driving on rural roads with sporadic at best plow service and even borderline offroading, so the added clearance of an Outback is a big deal.
The get the OB. Sounds like the softer suspension (and ground clearance) might be a good thing for you.
(Note that the stock LGT wagon does have 6in of ground clearance, the OB has something like 8-9in)
Go drive one :) They're pretty good handling for something with more ground clearance than many (if not most ) SUVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

From what I've seen 9-2xs have been selling for less than comparable WRXs for some reason, it's very strange.
It's a SAAB, that's why. Sam reason prisms sell for less than corollas