Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'll just hold out for a WRX, then - although I might take a test drive to see how stiff the clutch is. Thanks, chaps. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of the wrxes I test drove had a K&N panel filter and I could easily hear the turbo spinning up and down. I'm guessing Subaru puts some noise baffling in the stock unit, if that's really the case.

It also had a new aftermarket exhaust header, so I can't say for sure it was the filter.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It depends - where are you located?

Most guys here are running Hakkapeliittas, but I'd be surprised if they're the best possible tire for the car.

If you're somewhere that doesn't have snow very often you could probably get by with a decently siped snow tire. I run Goodyear Nordics but I don't know if they're available for the WRX or if they're appropriate for giving 'er.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Those should be pretty solid.

Aside from the headgasket I'd look out for:
  • Rust - check the rear fenders especially. Also look around that spoiler, if they've screwed around with the trunk lid or spoiler it might have rusted around where the trunk joins to the spoiler.
  • Sunroof leaks (ask if it's an OEM or aftermarket sunroof - if it's aftermarket, run away)
  • Find out what that "little body damage" is and if it's anything more than parking lot rash check it out.
  • Check around the axles for anything leaking or torn - the car's getting to that age where it's possible someone has screwed up a CV axle.
  • Who installed the remote starter? Is there a warranty?

Those cars are much rarer in AB and even here that price is too high; the 2000+ RS is not nearly as rare as the 98-99 one is. He should move on the price at least $1k. Hell, you could probably find a JDM imported 1993-1994 WRX on the same chassis for around the same price.

edit: Check the undercarriage for rust. You want to check at least the differentials; if they're leaking oil, you want to stay away from them. Additionally, if the owner has very recently topped up the engine oil (especially if there is too much oil on the dipstick when cold, which happened to me with a very suspect 2003 OBS) you should ask some tough questions.

edit edit: Yeah, if you can deal with RHD and get a reasonable inspection done, you might want to consider those. Same chassis with a turbo. I'm not sure what to look out for on those models, though; I offered it as a comparison for what you could get with your money - for the price he wants and the mileage and damage it has, the 2000 2.5RS seems very steep. vvv

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 15, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Other EJ22s I've seen are between 0.038 (EJ22T) and 0.043 (2000 Impreza L) inches - you could probably be okay with 0.040.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This 2006 WRX was posted on the local Subaru forum, and I'm thinking of making an offer on it. The seller posted this picture of his engine bay:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I'm not super familiar with the EJ25 but I am curious about that black thing on the firewall next to the intercooler. It looks like it has power and vacuum - is it something as innocent as a boost gauge or is it something like a ridiculously oversized boost controller related to the "Airboy Stage 1" tune mentioned in the ad?

(also that is one teeny intercooler)

e: Much obliged! v

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 5, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MMD3 posted:

I'm guessing this will mean I'll need a whole new set of tires assuming the tire shop doesn't have any used ones with similar treadwear.
If you can find a replacement tire, you might be able to get it shaved down to match the other tires.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MMD3 posted:

CARBON FIBER MIRRORS MAN, you're missing the details!
Isn't it a Group N pre-prepared rally car? You'd be paying for special parts (tires, transmission/differential, suspension, chassis, cage) as well as support, the labour in the conversion and spare parts.

It's cheaper than the WRC STI was at least. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What kind of OEM wheels are those? Were they sold in NA? Will they fit on the WRX?

That is one seriously hot Outback. How does the lift affect handling?

vvv :( Oh well.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 6, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html should help; it has a giant table of what you need to get done (and will need to do in the next 20k).

Make sure to go back and check that you've done the previous services when it says to as well, obviously.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 8, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Doesn't the FT-86 have a direct-injected boxer? I'd presume that's coming pretty soon, although maybe Toyota has some kind of exclusivity clause going.

edit: Seems like it, though anything could happen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hello, Pleiades goons!

I just took delivery of a used 2006 WRX Limited wagon. I am pretty happy about it, but I need to insure and plate it before I can do much more than poke lazily through traffic jams.

I got a pretty good deal on it because it had a rebuilt title - Subaru dealer checked it out and thought everything was hunky dory except for some lazy paint prep on the replacement parts and a clogged windshield washer jet. I'm happy to finally have a Subaru, or even a car after two years of hunting.

edit: Pictures!

(sorry about that, lawn)

edit edit: The cone ended up in my front yard a few months ago, presumably from someone hitting it and dragging it along to my side street. I've since co-opted it as a helper for when everything is covered in snow. As you can see, it's not helping very much where it is.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 6, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I didn't get a manual with my car, so I'm curious about the penny-sized vented hole on the dashboard underneath the temperature and fan dials on my 06 WRX dashboard.

Is it some kind of sensor for the cabin temperature?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Purty heads, jamal. I guess now you're stuck breaking in the engine for a little while, though.

Openknees posted:

Can anyone briefly explain or link me to an explanation of the differences between the various types of the '10 Legacy? There's like nine of them out there. Specifically I'm looking at the 3.6r which seems to be a worthy competitor to the Lancer Ralliart.
Try the Subaru comparison tool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So thanks to an unnamed goon, I managed to find a PDF of the manual for my car. I flipped to the section on winter driving and was greeted with this:

I gotta admit, I kind of want a decal for my rear hatch glass of this haunted little fez snowman. Such cold little eyes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

my car in front of rocks in the desert:

What wheels are those? They look great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I haven't put anything big in the back of my wagon yet except for the summer tires I got with it. I guess I'll have to go buy something big and haul it around.

Speaking of tires, I'm looking at wheels (because the aforementioned tires didn't come with any wheels and the alloys are beat up): is there anything I need to know about offset and the Subaru suspension geometry? There seems to be a lot of argument about which offsets are actually tolerable without loving up the suspension. Once I get these lowering springs off, I'll probably want to keep as much suspension action as I possibly can.

Some used Speedline rally wheels I'm looking at are 17x7.5 with +48 offset, and I'm pretty sure the stock 17" wheels are at least 50mm.

e: I think the tires I have are 215-width, but I should definitely make sure. NASIOC's big offset thread seems to imply it will clear.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 19, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You probably know this already, but not all of that generation of Impreza is AWD; some (LX and GL trims) were offered with FWD as an option until 1997.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
:phone: Hello, Subaru. How may I help you?
:phoneb: I want a new WRX STI sedan, but keep making the 5-door too.
:phone: Certainly, sir. And what else would you like?
:phoneb: Why don't you jack up the rear spring rate to a ridiculous amount?
:phone: We can increase that bitch 53% for you, sir.
:phoneb: While you're at it, can you make the rear of the sedan not look like a Kia?

http://jalopnik.com/5507212/2011-subaru-wrx-sti-four-doors-of-homologated-fury

Too bad the wagon didn't get much of an update, and there's no power bump.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hog Obituary posted:

Where'd you find that number? I've been looking for info on what the exact suspension improvements are (didn't see it in the jalopnik or autoblog coverage)
Some guy on a local Subaru forum said it. I think it might be wrong, but the car is basically 18% stiffer than the 2010 STI SE, and that's already stiffer than the regular model by some substantial amount, but I couldn't find numbers.

There is always the possibility he pulled it completely out of his rear end and I've done a disservice to the internet by propagating it.

edit: There we go!

quote:

Major changes to suspension tuning for the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI include a lowered ride height and new pillow-ball bushings in front and stiffer bushings for the rear subframe that supports the double-wishbone suspension — these improve camber and toe stiffness. Both the front and rear suspension systems employ higher-rate springs and thicker front and rear stabilizer bars than the 2010 model: 21mm vs. 20mm in front and 19mm vs. 18mm in the rear. (The 2010 WRX STI Special Edition already had the thicker rear stabilizer.) Spring rates have increased by 15.6 percent in front and 53 percent in the rear. (The rear spring rate for the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI is 18 percent over the already-higher-rate rear springs introduced in the 2010 WRX STI Special Edition.)
From InsideLine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Arwox posted:

Is there anything I should know about this particular model? Also, hows the price on it?
Price seems very high for the mileage: for starters, you have the automatic, which is (as far as I can see) not as valuable as the manual transmission. Make sure the head gaskets have been done, as well as the timing belt/tensioner/etc.

e: One weird thing is that according to the carfax, it appears to have been moved from one dealership to another, probably in an auction. I'd be curious at why the first dealership felt they couldn't move this car when it went up for sale there.

http://www.subaruheadgasket.com/vehicleyear.htm

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 4, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fish Shalami posted:

I really like the look of the imprezas and wrx's, but I need a car that can carry stuff. To be specific, windsurfing board and other gear on the roof. Are roof racks something that can be added, or is it a factory install?

I probably shouldn't be basing my decision on roof racks, but still, I find them really useful. The forrester would probably be more along what I want out of the car but I'm not a big fan of the way they look. I could settle for an outback sport, but I haven't seen any near me that are worth it. Around what sort of mileage do subarus start breaking down rapidly? I'd only be driving the car half the year, mostly on road trips and daily trips around town, but I'd like it to last. I'm trying to stay under $13k US.

For reference, I'm looking at something like these:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ctd/1683973018.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/1683370519.html

Are these worth looking into further? Thanks!
My 06 WRX wagon has a Thule roof rack on it right now. I need to figure out how to remove it, since the previous owner installed it and didn't bother giving me the key for it.

I think any Subaru should be able to carry a roof rack, certainly anything on the Impreza platform.

As for your choices, I've got this to say:
  • the 2002 sedan: Looks nice, is probably nice, make sure the head gasket has been done. IIRC, 2002 was the first year of the 2.5L engines and they had a batch of bad head gaskets which lead to cooling problems and general nastiness. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, check out the Subaru Head Gasket site. If the head gaskets haven't been done, you should definitely have them looked at and replaced.
  • the 2002 WRX wagon: These are phenomenal cars with no real chronic issues that you should look out for (other than a weak transmission). If the mileage in the ad linked from the craigslist ad is accurate, 64000 miles is just after the second major service (oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, brake inspection) so you should check any service records to ensure that has been done.
I'd look into both of those cars, but just make sure you do your homework. There's a lot of stupid modifications that can be done to a WRX. Check out this relatively alarmist forum post for information on how to detect bad modifications.

If you're looking for a Subaru that is just staggeringly cheap to own and run, you may want to consider a late 90s Impreza wagon with the 2.2L engine. They are rock solid, cost almost nothing to insure and are still easy to work on.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 10, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Zsbaug24 posted:

The first bit is off in that the 2.5L is from 97 or 98 so the early headgasket problems are more from late 90s cars. A 2002 2.5L shouldn't have that problem as its a phase II engine.

I will agree with this second comment. A Subaru with the 2.2L is a really good car.
I have seen Phase II SOHC EJ25s with replaced head gaskets in at least one '02 OBS and an '03 Outback. But yes, if you're looking at a 97-98 2.5L the head gaskets are definitely in the risk zone. It's not a huge deal, but you should make sure the previous owner knows about the problem and has taken steps to correct it (or at least knows what to look for).

8ender might have more insight into other problems of NA 2.5s, considering his 02 2.5TS has been somewhat of a troublemaker for him.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Before I forget, the other thing is that you should make sure they did the head gaskets on both sides of the engine. I saw one Legacy L (which was skeezy in its own right) which had only one head gasket done.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PabloBOOM posted:

I got behind a Subaru SVX in the middle of nowhere, NC on my way home from work today. I had never even heard of one, and apparently there's a reason. Supposedly only 14,000 were imported to the US? That just made me want one more. Ill-suited brakes be damned!
I want one something fierce. They keep popping up on local autotrader and craigslist, but I fear that I would end up buying one out from under slidebite and have to live the rest of my life in mortal fear.

Plus, I have nowhere to store one and I don't think I could run it as a daily driver nor sporty car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There are some bushing kits you can buy (Turn In Concepts' Holy Shift kit is the one I've decided upon - it's a collection of various other bushing kits thrown together in a bag).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not those particular ones, I think. I found some Kartboy bushings for a 98+ but I don't know if that's because they just didn't test on a pre-1998, or if there's a genuine change. You might want to ask on a GC/GF/GM forum and see what they're using.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Congratulations. :) The best part about owning a Subaru for me so far is getting waves from everyone else who owns one. It's like being in a cult or some sort of bizarre secret order dedicated to the destruction of all cars that don't growl.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's the EJ22, an engine whose primary problem is that it won't die and allow you to replace it with an EJ22 turbo from a Legacy turbo whose body has rusted away. The body will be gone before the powertrain is.

My local independent Subaru mechanic has a '91 Legacy turbo sedan sitting in their "for sale" lot and it hurts me to drive past it because I know I could give it a wonderful home if only I had the space. Grind off that surface rust, put some truck tires on it and go tooling around on offroad trails.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've heard tales of EJ22s running without much in the way of oil, so I'd be really surprised if you can easily kill this one without throwing a bag of sand into the throttle body. You should pull it and build a Vanagon with it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

Also, when I do replace them, I plan to upgrade and probably add sway bars. I was thinking KartBoy for new solid end links front and rear. Any reason not to go with them? Any suggestions for cheap sway bars?
I'm also looking at these. My favored shop has this to say about the Kartboy units:

quote:

Endlinks are one of the most overlooked items when upgrading swaybars and looking to improve the handling of any vehicle. Subaru specifically decided to use cheap plastic endlinks for the stock pieces that bend and flex under spirited driving. This reduces the effectiveness of your stock or aftermarket swaybar significantly. Kartboy is here though to provide solid endlinks with urethane bushings to replace the crappy stock pieces. We strongly recommend bushed endlinks for any vehicle that isn't a pure track car. Installation is simple remove the stock pieces and chuck them in the trash and install the new Kartboy works of art.
I'm assuming since they also mention that the Kartboy end-links have urethane bushings, this qualifies them as "bushed" endlinks (as opposed to spherical?)

I'm wondering if this is just an NVH issue or if I should try to find different endlinks than the Kartboy kind to go with Whiteline swaybars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If I had to guess, the catless downpipe might need to be tuned for; they do have a potential for boost creep (ha!) or spikes. The price of the tuning may eliminate any cost advantage you gain from the catless pipe. Then again, it doesn't really make sense to me to have an upgraded downpipe unless you're planning on tuning for it anyway.

Would a police officer really go to the extent of checking the downpipe for CARB legality? Does the stock pipe have a CARB identification number on it or something? How frequently do they check, and for what offenses?

I would imagine if it passes emissions with the new pipe on, it'd be OK as long as you didn't suddenly develop a habit of having CARB-trained police officers meticulously analyze your engine bay.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My left front wiper keeps clunking when it reaches the top of its stroke. It's kind of annoying.

Does it just need greasing or something, or should I buy new wiper blades and check the spring tension?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Located in my state. It was on craigslist a while ago, guess he didn't find a buyer on there. A couple of guys up here are working on those swaps. One guy had an outback sport with the 3.3 at a rallycross and man did that thing haul rear end.
I researched this when I was looking into "building my own" WRX (aka building a Gravel Express), and I had heard one of the big concerns is shattering the transmission on anything but dirt under vigorous driving. I'm sure that could be easily dealt with - I can't see the STI transmission being weaker than the SVX automatic.

I also heard that you lose ABS and AC since those bits no longer actually fit in the engine bay. That's not such a big deal if you're rallyin'.

I bet it sounds incredible, all the H6s sound like Porsches with :downs:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm experiencing a lot of vibration in my car when I've got the air conditioner on and I'm sitting at a light; it feels like the idle keeps dropping repeatedly and then spinning back up and making a general racket of itself. From what I can see, a dirty IACV is to blame for a lot of Subarus, but my car (06 WRX) is drive by wire. Is there still an IACV for a drive by wire car, or is it just some line of code in the ECU and my problem lies elsewhere?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ab0z posted:

My friend is telling me that I need to replace the tensioner adjuster. Do I?
Do you mean the tensioner? I've always been told for any car to replace the tensioner while you're doing a belt job, because you might as well while you're in there, right?

flu1d posted:

To all you STi owners: whatever you do, do not break your clock spring! I recently broke mine and bought a brand new one.
How did you break it? Some guy on the local Subaru forums was looking for one, but I figured it broke while he was swapping steering wheels or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ab0z posted:

Further clarification, after talking to the local subaru dealer service dept it sounds like shortly after my model year (95) they started making a tensioner ASSEMBLY that have the tensioner PULLEY and ADJUSTER in one part.
Now it makes sense. I hadn't heard of an EJ engine that had the tensioner pulley and adjuster separately. Sorry if I gave you any headaches.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm experiencing a lot of vibration in my car when I've got the air conditioner on and I'm sitting at a light; it feels like the idle keeps dropping repeatedly and then spinning back up and making a general racket of itself. From what I can see, a dirty IACV is to blame for a lot of Subarus, but my car (06 WRX) is drive by wire. Is there still an IACV for a drive by wire car, or is it just some line of code in the ECU and my problem lies elsewhere?
Followup: I talked to the previous owner and he says he replaced the A/F sensor to try and deal with what he calls a "low idle" when warm. The idle does seem low - the car feels like it's momentarily stalling sometimes when I pull away from the light.

I have the original A/F sensor in the bag of parts I got along with the car. Any further insights into my low idle?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I believe many of the Subaru factory service manuals are available in electronic form for a small fee from the Subaru USA website.

Just pay your fee and then go on a mad downloading spree for a few days, then you'll be set.

edit: I keep forgetting we have an OP - perhaps that information should go in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
One thing you should look out for, especially on the '03s, is that you should get a safe tune done to compensate for the catless up-pipe. A lot of people don't get a tune for it, and end up causing damage.

ab0z and bull3964 are doing the timing service right now; check out earlier in the thread where I believe both of them explain what they purchased.