Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Disclaimer: my wife threw away all my flannel.

1995 Subaru Impreza Wagon 1.8
Paid $850 for it 2 years ago with 190k miles.
Here's the day after I bought it:

and 40k miles later, here's a trip from this summer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

VideoTapir posted:

FWD or AWD?

All Wheel Drive, High five!

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
To clarify, whose car was having the replacement motor installed? Another customer?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

funkyboogaloo posted:

Also a question, I want to change my diff/trans oil soon, what kind of oil have you guys put in your Subaru's that you were happy with?

OEM or OEM equivalent grade and weight. I've used Valvoline synthetic gear oils without incident.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
For those asking about the XT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_XT

Seems to be a fairly informative entry.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

cmorrow001 posted:

Any suggestions?

I've used winterforce with good results, and they're the cheapest thing firestone has listed right now by about $40 a tire. Blizzaks are badass also, I have a friend that uses them on a couple cars; Unfortunately they're much more expensive.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Tell him $4k sounds good, but you'll need to take the cost of that upcoming repair off the price.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
One trick I've seen work is show up with a wad of cash. If you show up with $3850 in hand, they'll have a hard time saying "no". (and by cash I mean ready money, not "I'll talk to my bank and see about financing'.)
I saw a friend show up to buy an STi for 23k at this guy's place. He walked around the car and started ticking off things on a clip board and hacking off the price. Then he was like "well, I don't think it's worth more than 19. but really I'd rather pay 18.5. Should I write the check?" and they took it. (he later sold the car for 23k after fixing 2-3 minor cosmetic items).

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

kimbo305 posted:

Suckers take 18.5k personal checks. Anything past 2k people should ask for a money order or bank check.

Well he didn't actually say "should I write the check", it was more like "do you want this stack of money and cashiers checks?". The point is that money talks and if the seller knows you're serious and sees money they're more likely to sell immediately at a lower price.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Mr. Powers posted:

Two halves that split down the middle, with the oil pan on bottom (where else?). I really have no idea how they are stuck together, though.

They're held together with love. It's part of what makes a subaru, a subaru.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Call and ask the guy if it's AWD?

Or, get the VIN and you can find out that way.
If either of those methods fail, get the seller to take a picture under the car in the back. If there's no differential then it's FWD.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
What is the actual code that it is throwing?
I'll ask my friend tonight about the problem and post again if he has any ideas.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Qapf posted:

Hey Guys. I am thinking of getting an 08 WRX, as the local dealership here in Santa Cruz seems to be knocking about 5,000 off their 08 stock and I was wondering a few things. First, beyond NASIOC which seems to be filled to the brim with retards, is there any descent Subaru forum on the internet? What I am mainly interested in finding right now are simply the prices others are getting on 08's in the current climate of "Oh crap, we still have 08 stock sitting on the lot" that seems to be going on.

In addition, is there anything specific I should look for on this unsold 08 that might be the reason it remains unsold? This will be my first turbo car, and my first Subaru, and I kinna want things to go well.

As far as I know, the only reason they're going for so little is nobody wants them. The styling is considered by many subaru enthusiasts to be bland and the performance to be uninspiring. The cars are capable, and certainly nice, but (in many enthusiasts' opinions) they lack the character of the previous generation. Also the sticker prices were pretty high for what you get. Drop the price by 4k and it's pretty good deal.
Keep in mind most of this is just opinion, but opinion that I've heard firsthand from many of my friends that have had various previous incarnations of the Impreza WRX. If you like the car, and the price is low enough, then there's probably no reason not to get it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Qapf posted:

Thanks for the opinion, I hate to piss off the entirety of Subaru owners but I like the look of the new 08 Wagon compared to the previous incarnation, the redesign is what caught my eye. As for the performance, my test drive is tomorrow and I'll see what it feels like. My previous cars will be a Toyota Camry and a Honda Element, so I am not exactly coming from a horribly high end car family to this thing. Maybe lowered expectations will help here.

It doesn't matter what nastycock thinks as long as you like the car. Besides, every single time the release a new version everyone makes a huge stink on the internet, then a year later it's all forgotten. The 08 redesign was a little different, mainly due to the handling differences and price point.

Bottom line, we'll still love you if you get an 08, and you can still come to parties.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Coffee Jones posted:

I see 3 of these on CL any given day. Recession. :(

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/954100641.html
07 STI - 27k miles - clean title - dealer offered - unmodified - factory warranty.

$25990

I feel I should buy this car. I could realistically pay it off within a year with a trade in.

I dunno man:

quote:

Transmission: 6 Spd Automatic

You really want an auto?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Mr. Powers posted:

Higher than normal capacity just means that it will hold a little more oil that normal filters, so as long as you have it up to the proper lines on the dipstick, you're fine.

Correct. Just look in your manual, it should list "with filter change" and "without filter change" capacities for oil changes. Just put the correct amount in, let it settle a few minutes, then check your levels. Add oil as needed, allow to settle, then check again. The first time you stop for gas, check your oil level 5 minutes after you turn off the car, while it's still warm.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

idiotsavant posted:

So now it looks like the leak may be from the heater core - I was driving to work this morning and noticed steam coming from under the steering column. Turned the heater off, no steam. Heater on, steam. How much of a pain in the rear end is it to replace, and should I get a new one or just a $40 clunker from a pick n pull?

It may be just a hose cracked and leaking, or the valve that controls the flow of coolant through the core. Usually it's not super complicated to fix those kinds of issues, just annoying because you're working upside down under the dash, or you have to remove the dash.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

bull3964 posted:

My new pads (Hawk HPS)

Speaking of which, I believe autohausaz.com is having a sale on them right now, if anyone is interested. autohausaz is a great vendor that I've ordered from several times when I needed misc stuff for my subaru, and their customer service is fantastic.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

jamal posted:

the entire internet seems not to understand how dccd works.
Fixed.

You think it's bad here, try going to nasioc and starting a discussion about any diff related subject.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

bull3964 posted:

Really, what it boils down to, is time.

They can charge me 8 hours labor to swap a tranny because that's book time. We all know that a skilled person can do it in 3. That difference is pure profit. Meanwhile, removing and rebuild the center diff may also be 8 book hours, but it may take them 6 hours to do in reality. My labor costs are the same (but the parts costs are way less), but they lose out on those 3 hours that they could be charging someone else for.

Then, lets factor in the fact that if they swap the transmission, they have a perfectly good transmission that they can fix and sell or put in someone else's car, also for a profit.

The whole situation is so transparent. Goddamn am I angry.

Is this a subaru dealer or independent shop?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

bull3964 posted:

Dealership. I haven't been able to find any independent shops that specialize in subarus.

Sorry if I missed it, but what year is your car?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

dreggory posted:

I may be completely off base here, but I tend to lump them together with all the jiffy-lube type places. Kids running around using air tools on everything, breaking poo poo, denying it, etc.

That happens at most places. Firestone broke 3 lugs in one visit on my wife's car, and it had only been like 3 months since the wheels were last off it. Now, I've take about a million wheels off a thousand different cars, and never broke a lug ever not even once. Even when we were standing on a cheater bar 4 feet from the wheel and just bouncing up and down.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
What is the benefit to a rotated mount turbo setup? Just to facilitate routing the charge piping?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

meatpimp posted:

The only down side I've found is the loudness. The 3" turbo-back made significantly more power than the stock STi axle-back I'm running now, but it was ridiculously loud.

Yeah that's been my issue with the fast subarus that my friends have had. I would love a system like the corvette z06 has where a vacuum controlled butterfly opens up after a certain throttle position is reached to let you enjoy the sound at full throttle, but keep it quiet around town and when cruising.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
3500 sounds like a good starting point. Paint alone starts at $200 at any decent shop (unless you "know a guy", but I'm assuming you don't). This damage requires metalwork, so it'll be more I'd imagine. Perhaps you can take it to a shop of your choice for an estimate?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
For some people it is. It's not too bad if you have realistic expectations going into it, and a big space that you can occupy with wires for a while.
Label things profusely when you remove it from the car, lay it all out, unwrap everything identifying and labeling as you go, carefully check, double check, and triple check which wires will be cut/removed/added/merged and label them. Then one wire at a time, perform the surgery, check the connection, and label it. Repeat for all operations on the harness, then wrap the wires, and label wires/connectors as necessary, and test continuity.
Then just plug it in. Pretty easy really. :v:
The best advice I've been given on this subject is this: If you think you can't do it, then you can't do it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

nwin posted:

Brought the car into the dealership today. He said both cats needed replaced. Luckily, it's all covered so no charge to me. He said I need to get the 60k maintenance done ASAP because that could have helped cause the cats going out. My car has 67k on it, and when I checked what the 60k maintenance is...I'm a little skeptical it needs it, especially for the pricetag of 500 bucks. It is basically a full fluid flush and replacement of spark plugs...all which I can do on my own for WAY less than 500 bucks.

This link has the full service schedule:
http://scom-qa.subaru.com/owners/schedules/schedules.jsp?schedulepage=2004myfed.html

Summary of 60,000 mile service:
Inspect timing belt and accessory belts, adjust/replace if necessary (not mandatory till 105,000 mile service)
Oil change with filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace air filter
Replace spark plugs
Inspect Differential and AT (if applicable) fluids.
Full flush of brake fluid (do this to maintain brake performance, and extend the life of the pistons in the calipers)
Inspect all brake components, adjust parking brake
Inspect clutch, steering, etc. systems.

One thing I would recommend is also flushing the fluid in your hydraulic clutch system if equipped. The fluid degradation is not nearly as noticeable in the clutch performance, but if not flushed occasionally debris will collect in the slave cylinder and accelerate wear causing eventual failure. I'm not saying that it will happen right away, but if you just take 10 minutes to do it you might save yourself an inconvenient parking lot repair down the road a ways(ask me how I know).

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Personally that's at least $5000 more than I would pay for the car. If it's 110% perfect inside and out, with dealer performed oil changes documented, no aftermarket parts on the vehicle currently or ever, and they fix the exhaust rattle, it might be worth it if there are no clean private party STIs within 200 miles of you.
If it were me I'd start with 2k off the asking price, then drop the price to cover the new tires.
Also look into the warranty coverage, and confirm that it's still in effect. Check to see if any service bulletins apply to the car and confirm that they were performed.
If they're saying only $5700 for the truck because of tires and the windshield, go buy tires and get your insurance to replace the windshield.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

atomicfire posted:

I got an absolutely immaculate 2005 STi with 15k on the clock for 27k. This car had NO mods, NO issues, NO problems carfax or w/e.

This one was worth it. However this was a few years ago before the credit collapse, expect to pay significantly less for a car of that grade.

Yeah, 12 months ago my buddy bought exactly what you just described for 17.5k

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I'm guessing nothing corresponds to the AFR scale on that graph, as a 33:1 AFR at 3500 rpm probably would have undesirable consequences.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

CharlesM posted:

It's the green line.

You're right. I looked at it and thought I was seeing stock vs modded power.
Excuse me for a moment, I need to get another cup of coffee.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
The only thing that will fix what you're talking about is an H6.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
The factory service manual is fantastic.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I realize that, and buying them isn't for everyone. However, if you plan to own and service your car for a long time, having documentation that you can count on 100% is worth a lot more than the purchase price.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Yeah, but I didn't want to get banned for :filez:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
That's what O'Hagen was talking about.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
There is a lot of opinion on the internet about fluids, but you are guaranteed good results with OEM fluids. They are more expensive, but the quality is guaranteed and there are some sites that may save you money over the dealer. (subaruparts.com, subarugenuineparts.com, etc.)

The link a few posts up will have sections that tell you quantities, etc.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/index.php?cPath=33_92

They have your gear and diff fluids, but as mentioned, the gear oil comes in a large container.
Have you checked with your local dealer to see what service costs there to have this stuff done? I always advocate doing things yourself, but if they have a good price then you could save yourself an afternoon under your car, plus the assurance that it's done right. Maybe you could pay them to do just the transmission and differential service, and do the rest yourself?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I just talked to my friend that has owned and tuned more STIs than I can remember, he said for the diff you MOST DEFINITELY should use subaru fluid, for the trans use the appropriate weight and viscosity gear oil of decent quality, synthetic not required.
*keep in mind this is for the STi, and its 6mt, not the regular wrx with the 5mt*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Like I said, there is a lot of opinion on the internet about what to use, but the oem brands are guaranteed to work correctly.
One of our friends has run high 10s in his STi, with oem fluids in the drivetrain.