Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Had an '87 GL wagon in college. Perfect car aside from the horrible 3 speed automatic. I promised myself I'd never buy another Subaru with an automatic ever again.

In 20 years Subaru managed to cram one extra cog into their slushbox, and it too was pure rubbish.

I really wanted to like my '06 Forester Premium, but the horrible automatic transmission simply wouldn't allow me to, so it went bye bye and I traded it for an '04 WRX wagon with a proper 5 speed manual transmission and things are good in da hood again.

I really don't drive my WRX much these days. It sits in the garage most of the time as I typically get around by my Honda Express SR scooter. Now that it's getting colder, maybe it'll see more gravel road time.

My WRX is still stock and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Cat Terrist posted:

As much as loving retards like to bang on about Subaru wanting a hatch for rallying for performance reasons and the new suspension blah bla blah, those who spruke that don't know a loving thing.

You're going to have to explain to us loving retards why the Citroen C4 does so poorly in WRC and why the Ford Foci hatchback seems to be doing pretty terribly in WRC where oddly enough Mitsubishi doesn't even compete anymore.

For the STI being a new car and platform it's doing pretty well in WRC. It's doing quite well in Pro Rally in the US.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Cat Terrist posted:

Maybe because the point that goes over your head over and over again is that the hatch was always a marketing decision and that a hatch HAS no real advantage. None.

Mitsubishi dont compete because they didnt give a team money. They kinda dont have any to give to WRC.

Subaru didnt do as well with the sedan because of two reasons...

1) Cubic cash. If you decided to take a trip to Europe and scan the service parks, you will notice the sheer size difference and hence budgets Citoren and Ford has over Subaru, not to mention Ford basically have 4 teams they use for development, Citroen 3. Subaru? 1.

2) Awful design. Prodrive designed the 05 based on sports sedans and not a rally car. Whoops, that will be three years down the toilet until they worked it out. The 08 is the first car properly designed. On that awful design, the boxer motor may be good in a road car, but in WRC where you can do freaky engine positioning, the boxer is too far forward.

Now in countries that have more money and teams that know a great deal more about rallying than the USA, the EVO IS the better car. And so far the new STI is not able to beat the old EVO's (looking rather doubtful too, given in Finland how many Mitsu's were beating the first Subaru until the drivers had brain fade), while Mitsubishi runners have the new EVO X coming.

Everything I've ever read why Citroen, Ford and Subaru use hatches to compete in WRC is due to the better weight balance of the hatch design, and the improved structural integrity of having another pillar in the car. It also makes it easier to design a roll cage and carry spare equipment and tires.

Why do you think it has anything to do with marketing?

I realize the budget limitations that Subaru has compared to the giants they compete against, but they do compete in the US against other Mitsubishi's and do quite well against them. A Mitsubishi did win one race in Rally America this year, and a few competed in X-Games, but fared poorly. The fact is, Mitsubishi probably won't ever enter WRC again, which is a shame because it is the premier rally racing class in the world. You're also going to have to explain this brain fade phenomenon that these Finnish drivers experienced, and how other countries know a great deal more about rallying than the USA because there a whole bunch of holes in your incomprehensible explanation about hatchbacks competing in WRC.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

leica posted:

I'm going to look at a 97 automatic Legacy wagon today or tomorrow, along with a Jeep Cherokee of the same year. Both the same price ($1500), but the Legacy has 50k more miles on it.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for on the Legacy? Any problem areas that need special attention? Also how do you tell if it's a 2.2 or 2.5?

A '97 Legacy would have the 2.2 liter engine. If you lift the hood, it should say the engine size on the stamp. Heck, I think it even says 2.2 on top of the engine.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

greasy digits posted:

Similarly, how easy are they to work on? Outside of alignment, I do all of the work on my cars. There seems to be a pretty healthy bit of aftermarket support for these cars for when I'll want to do some "tinkering". Are there any big pitfalls I need to know before looking?

They're quite straightforward to turn a wrench on. I haven't seen anything on any of the Subaru's I've worked on that seemed out of place or unintuitive to any great degree. I was somewhat leery of getting under the hood of a boxer engine layout at first, but it's really not that bad.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

DSeeGull posted:

If I purchase a catless up-pipe is my car going to fail emissions?

A WRX with a catless up-pipe and down-pipe passing emissions? Probably not. I've read a few guys on NASIOC passing emissions with just a gutted UP, but probably not both. I think you'd be better off with a bigger turbo or an STI intercooler than a pulley kit.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

DSeeGull posted:

well than in that regards do you think gutting the up would be equivalent to replacing it

The flow on Cobb and other aftermarket UPs are better than a gutted stocker. Still, you're going to spool up about 2-300 RPMs quicker than before with a gutted pipe.

If you've got the coin, I'd get an aftermarket UP and keep your original in case you can't get your car to pass emissions or if you want to sell it or whatever.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

CharlesM posted:

I thought they stopped using the aluminum hoods after a few years because of the cost of material. They may have brought it back, I dunno.

'08 models up use stamped steel hoods due to the cost of aluminum being so high a few years ago when they were penning the new body style. Now the price of aluminum and steel for that matter have tanked, but I don't think that'll bring back aluminum hoods on WRXs.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Just putting some feelers out there, but I'm probably going to be selling my 2004 WRX wagon since I don't really drive it at all anymore. I'll post more info in the market place thread if anybody wants more info on it. PM me or shoot me an email. It's my user name @ gmail.com if you have any interest in it. Otherwise I'll post it in the market place thread.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Welp, sold my WRX. :smith: I'm moving on to something a lot slower, an '85 Toyota 4Runner. Twas good times.

EDIT: Time for a new avatar.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Tatrakrad posted:

What? No!

That's an awesome avatar.

As someone who drives a Subaru vicariously through this thread I demand that, if you move to something slower, let it at least be a Forrester/Outback.

edit: lost a word

I actually traded a Forester in on my outgoing WRX. No worries, I always go back and forth between Subaru's and Toyota's, so that means my next car will indeed be a Subaru!

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Ok, the guy I sold the car to finally picked it up yesterday. We had to drive to get some papers signed before he took the car, so I let him drive, seeing how it was his car... now I see why the gearboxes in WRXs can be problematic for some people.

First off, he sat at the light with the car in gear with the clutch pedal down the the floor at every stop. I was thinking about that poor throwout bearing the whole time. He also downshifted to slow the car down when approaching lights and stops without rev matching. He'd basically just drop it into the next gear and pop the clutch. :gonk: My poor car had never seen that kind of abuse before. He also slipped the clutch really bad at take off as well. :(

Ok, my last post about my outgoing car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

any New England Subaru folks with nothing to do this weekend? One of the teams in New England Forest Rally had some of their crew bail. They're looking for people to drive the parts van around during the rally. Even one day would help them out. Otherwise they'd have to crew themselves which would suck. I would do it except the wedding I have to go to.
------------------
NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED! This is a great opportunity to see rally from the inside. If you have ever considered driving or co-driving this is a great place to check it out.

Our team is RTI Motorsports (Somerset Subaru Team)
We have done this rally a number of times.
Car is an open class Subaru Impreza STI RED
Last year we came in 3rd overall in regional.
We are seeded 14th (ish).

We need someone to drive around the van and set up service spots (we will show you how). At this late notice we are not looking for anyone with tons of experience but it would be nice.

I check my email throughout the day: travelchute yahoo.com
-------------------
I imagine they'd spring for your food, etc. You would get licensed day of as team crew and all that jazz.

Somebody do this if you get a chance. I've done this with the CPD Racing team and it's a blast. Forget about getting any sleep however.