Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dk2m posted:

Yes, they are absolutely fixed with a tune. If you’re not familiar with tuning, the most common off the shelf option is by using a Cobb Accessport and their in built tunes. They are the most conservative out there, and from what I recall, it did help but it was fairly subtle. The bigger issue with these cars is that there is a noticeable drop off in torque towards the rev limiter which makes it feel..not great when trying to rev it out.

In stock form, the car will also pull timing from you quite often to prevent knock, in practice this means that it doesn’t feel very consistent - I would constantly have jerky shifts because I would be off by a second predicting what the car would do.

The other OTS tune I ran was from MAPerformance, which genuinely made the car brilliant. Rev hang disappeared, torque delivery was super consistent and it wouldn’t constantly pull timing on you. The car finally felt fun instead of trying to deal with it’s quirkiness. I think i used their 93 tune without any other mods for 15k miles with no issues before running a custom one.

Here’s the big thing though - it is very possible that if you bring your car in for a warranty repair, it could be denied if the dealership makes a case that the tune was related. I just got lucky and nothing happened, but ymmv.

Personally, i would still think about an STI as that thing is gonna hold its value. There’s no other manufacturer making anything close to it, and it’s so analogue feeling that it’s a genuine throwback. I would love to own one again and I wouldn’t touch/mod a single thing on it.

I am somewhat car stupid, but the Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune made a big difference on my mostly stock STI. Runs noticeably smoother across revs, less hang and less knock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rolo posted:

Yeah I think I’m going to keep it wingless, my first car love was the WRX so having all the parts of the STI jammed into what looks like one has become my happy place.

Suspension chat: The first time took it on the freeway entrance loop my eyes went wide at how this thing grabs the road. My last fast car was a mustang so I’ve never had a car that doesn’t take out an entire Cars n Coffee when I turn the wheel hard. This thing is like a happy puppy when I turn and I can’t stop smiling.

What a great car, I’m so glad I found this one. Thanks for the peer pressure everyone.

Nice car, but the wing really makes it perfect IMO...

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

um excuse me posted:

All that wing, disruption of visibility, decrease in fuel economy for what, aesthetics

yes

(also it doesn't disrupt visibility at all)

Rolo posted:

Also am I a scrub if I bolt on an intake so I can hear the turbo?

Yes, definitely -- also that's my next/only planned mod, yolo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

net work error posted:

If I have no engine mods are OTS tunes considered safe?

the cobb stage 1 is (purportedly)

edit: from here https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/1021444138/Map+Notes+for+VA+STI+2015+-+2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I've got a weird one... I replaced the battery in my 16 STI, and now the high beams are 'stuck' on. High beams are on by default, dash high beam light is off. If I turn the high beams on with the stalk, nothing changes. If I flash the high beams, the low beams go on and the high beams icon shows up.

wtf? any ideas?

edit: Everything was working normally until I put in the battery, that's the only change

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 13, 2022

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Well, I have the absolute dumbest resolution possible. The problem was that the headlights were turned off. And what I thought were my high beams were my (apparently very bright) fogs.

I leave my lights turned on all the time in every car that has auto-shutoff, so I would never even consider to check that outside of trying to diagnose this. I am a moron.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Crain posted:

I uh....can't drive stick ☹️. And there's not really any autos in stock new near me.

assuming you mean you haven't learned and are not physically incapable of it for some reason, it's really not that bad. basically the first time I drove a stick was picking up my sti. It was fine, I don't think I even stalled on the first drive. youtube's amazing.

Very happy that I took a leap and learned.

edit: for the first month or two I would carefully pick my routes to avoid traffic/stopsigns etc lol

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 16, 2022

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rolo posted:

Got my first door dent on the STi :(

Why some people gotta do that.

I got hail damage in June, and then hit a deer in January. On the plus side I'm getting it all fixed at once (and I got obnoxious new headlights mostly paid for)! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

my friend (a heterosexual woman) just referred to the wing that the first owner deleted from my sti as "douchey" so im thinking that wing delete may have been a blessing in disguise

im already driving a boyracer sedan in WORDL RALLEYE BLUE with scoops and vents and poo poo, she's probably right. if i ever decide to start flipping thirtysomething straight boys though i am absolutely set

the OEM wing is good, op