Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sadi posted:

I don’t know if I put the attributes on paper, if I could point to on line of numbers and tell you if it’s a hatch, cuv or wagon. As near as I can tell most of these lifted wagons count as cross overs and a lowered macan or something counts as a hot hatch. All cars have such high ride heights and this point it feels meaningless to me to try to differentiate.

An Outback is a wagon. It's a length versus height (not counting lift - you go off of the Legacy base) thing, mainly, to my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

and for that matter, the bolt. i found out about subaru crush washers when the "flange" of my drain plug bolt came off

LOL. Been there.
I've also resorted to re-annealing a pair of crush washers for a banjo bolt fitting when I couldn't be arsed to source a new pair. Worked fine (they weren't mangled, just used.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

carticket posted:

The donor engine for my build has a drain plug that is 100% seized into the pan. I'm going to have to drill it out, but need to try to get oil out first (or tip the engine so that it isn't sitting on the plug while I drill.

Just yank and replace the pan instead?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't want to replace the rear springs unless it was a dedicated "I'm always towing with this" vehicle. There are definitely air bags you can get for those that you can, at simplest, inflate with a tire pump when your'e towing something and need the extra capacity in the back. They get fancier from there with auto leveling and built in pumps.

If their Outback is anything like my 2003, I would. The factory springs (or, more accurately in my case, the aftermarket replacements) are too soft even with the cargo area unloaded. I can hit the bump stops with myself and two passengers in the car. The OEM ones were soft as well, but I though that might have been from being 20 years old. Apparently not.
Also not sure where you put supplemental airbags on an IRS strut suspension.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Its a single unit - strut and airbag. There is no spring.

https://accuair.com/collections/air-struts

Ah, you meant a complete replacement. I was thinking supplemental like you can do with a live axle car or truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

only dead axles around here, friendo

You gotta love how that's the logical opposite.
:goonsay: dead axles are solid beam axles that aren't driven, like, say in a lot of the earlier FWD cars (or the front axle in my non 4x4 Jeep :negative:), but I bet you knew that.