Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Death knell for manual Subarus.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/31/23743854/usdot-automatic-emergency-braking-aeb-rule-pedestrian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's worth it to note that the Rav 4 Prime has upwards of a 2 year waitlist at this point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Adaptive cruise works just fine on my Golf R with a manual. You can even upshift and downshift while having it engaged.

Sure, I guess the risk is there if you are emergency braking, but understand that emergency braking is there to apply the brakes with full force fractions of a second before you might have reacted so most of the time you would have already been going for the brake and clutch pedal in that sort of situation and will likely disengage the clutch before the car has a chance to stall.

About the only thing that doesn't work at all on the Golf R in a manual is stop and go traffic and that's to be expected.

This is certainly one of the things I'm waiting for before trading in my 2015 BRZ on a new one. Adaptive cruse is something that cannot be overstated in how nice it makes longer drives. Blind-spot detection and rear cross-traffic alert is also something that I really want on my next BRZ due to the limited visibility from certain angles and just being lower than everyone else. Trying to back out of a parking space flanked by two SUVs is a exercise of creeping and praying.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 26, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Test driving a '20 was enough to tell me that I wasn't going to compromise on not being able to get a hatch with a car that delivered its power so poorly.

It's like not even raw unrefined delivery (which was a delight in my 2002) or somewhat lumpy but workable in my 2011.

It was straight up "Is this car actually broken? No way they would release it like this."

Broke my heart too not have a WRX for the first time in 18 years, but you have to build a competitive product. I'm happy with my Golf R from a driving perspective even if I find the styling terminally dull. It's a bit clinical, but you can tell someone actually put time into the factory tune.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

The Corolla GR seems pretty cool.

If it would have been around when I was shopping in 2019, it would have been the top of my list (assuming I could actually buy one.)

Now, I just don't want to get involved in car shopping for the 60 miles a week I drive. If anything I would swap the BRZ out for a new one, but that's a PITA now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If the crush washer appears to be missing, look at the sump hole more closely - the washer may be stuck to the pan and may not be obvious at first glance.

This, especially it's the first change from the factory. I almost missed the one on my BRZ when I did the first change.