Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I totaled my '08 WRX in January (a series of unfortunate events) and now find myself in the market for another. I don't really want to buy one new again, so I am looking at used ones in similar condition to what I had, and I have some questions for AI.

Considering this is a turbocharged engine, is there extra diligence I can/should do before buying one used? My old car had 85k miles on it, and I'm looking at some with 60-70k now because they are close in price to what I got from insurance. Should I be spending more money to get something with 30-40k miles instead? Does it matter if I'm buying used from a dealership, or something like CarMax instead of a private party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The 2010's and on are barely cheaper than a new one.

Is the problem with the '09 because it was the first year with the new turbo? What changed in 2010?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So if I don't give a poo poo about the widebody, is there any reason to avoid the '09 other than mileage? And if not, how many miles is too many?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Then is there reason to worry with a high mileage 09?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe this is more of a "negotiating for a used car" question, but here it goes.

Since my 2008 WRX was totaled (grumble) I've found a promising 2010 online. The ad claims it is the Premium edition, but it lacks the main features of that package (no front seat heaters, no audio controls on the wheel, no disc changer in the audio head unit, no sunroof) however it does have fog lights.

I pointed this out politely to the owner via email, he sent me some Subaru link which only reinforced my claim. After a couple tame emails back and forth, he is still pretty insistent that it's a Premium package car. This of course is relevant, because if it's not a Premium, that chops about $1100 off the value of the car.

I'm headed down to see the car and talk to the guy in person this afternoon. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to drive home the point? I suppose I can just stick firm to a price I think is fair based on what version I know the car to be. But it would be much simpler if we were negotiating with the same assumptions about the vehicle in mind.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that link is helpful, thanks.

Just got back from checking out the car, and everything looks good though there was one potential issue. The car has 32k miles and is on its third clutch. The first one apparently had to be replaced within 100 miles, which Subaru did for free. The second however was replaced at 21k. The guy had all his service records which showed among other things that Subaru picked up the labor cost on the second clutch job. That does imply they thought it wasn't just burnt out from this guy driving lovely.

Should I be concerned about this car going through clutches? Maybe it's the dealer doing crappy work, in which case this new one might die early as well?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes. I really doubt it's a mechanical fuckup and I have NEVER heard of a lowish km Subaru trashing clutches without some dickhead driving going on.
Well if its not a mechanical gently caress up and is indeed driver error, then I shouldn't worry about it being an ongoing issue if I'm the one driving it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The other red flag on this car that's gone through two clutches is that it's also on it's second set of tires, which look significantly worn. I'm bummed this one isn't gonna work out, as it's been tough to find one that meets my needs.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh gently caress that noise!

Now there will be zero current cars in that niche.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

Dumping the wagon/hatch seems like a bad idea. I haven't looked at the numbers but it does seem pretty popular around here. It's a great mix of performance and utility. Are there any other performance oriented AWD wagons for under $30K?

Also, I've yet to see anything official about them being discontinued, so hopefully that link is wrong.

No, there are not, which is why it would suck for the WRX hatch to disappear. I saw another article speculate that the hatch was going away as well, so I'm pessimistic.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My 2010 WRX (~170k miles) spends most of it's time these days sitting in the driveway with the battery disconnected. I drive it maybe once a month on average for longer trips, or when I can't drive the Z cause I forgot to charge it.

I keep up on oil changes but otherwise the Subaru is a bit neglected. For at least several months (maybe 500 miles) there has been a noticeable vibration coming from what I thought was the front driver side. I figured maybe the wheel bearing went out or something. Every time I'd drive it I'd think, "poo poo, that doesn't feel/sound good, I really need to take a look at that" but then it sits another month and I'd forget.

This weekend I finally got around to jacking up the car and taking a look under there. This is what greeted me on the passenger side:

So my question for the thread is, what else might be going on that I should look out for here? Knowing that I drove probably 500+ miles with a torn/non-existent inner CV boot on one side, what else should I confirm isn't hosed before I clean it out, re-grease and replace the boot?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When I was looking for cv boot replacement guides online, I found several which warned against using non-oem axel swaps because of quality concerns. Is this overblown? Can I just grab something off Rock Auto and slap it in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

When I was looking for cv boot replacement guides online, I found several which warned against using non-oem axel swaps because of quality concerns. Is this overblown? Can I just grab something off Rock Auto and slap it in there?
update on this: After several hours of wrestling with this on Friday, a trip to Autozone for a ball joint separator, and another go around today, I finally noticed that the diameter of the splined transmission side end is not the same as the old one I removed (new one is about 3mm smaller). I went back to my Rock Auto order and discovered that I'd bought a rear axel instead of a front one. And of course since I greased it up and banged it around a bit (no spline or thread damage) they won't accept a return. Guess I've got a spare rear now.

Hopefully I can get the proper one installed more easily some time this week...

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 5, 2023