Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a new clutch in my '99 Impreza Outback Sport, the new one has a hell of a lot less resistance than my old one. As a result, I am lurching around nearly as bad as when I first learned to drive stick. It feels like a brake that needs bleeding, is there a way to make it more firm? I was thinking that possibly adding more fluid could work, but I don't know what kind of fluid it needs, and I don't know if I can even access it or if it is a closed system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Amandyke posted:

On my 03 wrx it's a hydraulic clutch. Completely possible that whoever changed out your clutch left air in the system that will need to be bled out.
Yeah, it is a hydraulic clutch on this one too. Would there be a fill tube up top like for oil/antifreeze/brake fluid, or would I have to get down in there? How do you bleed a clutch? All of the people I know with car experience have more experience with '80s cars at latest, so I don't think they have ever had to do that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn't see a general tires thread, so I'll ask in here. I've got a '99 impreza outback wagon that needs new tires all around. I live in Colorado, so I want some all-weather tires just for simplicity. I'd also put comfort over performance right now, my suspension is pretty hard and I don't go to the track with it or anything. I'm assuming that more comfortable tires won't mean I have to drive like a Floridan granny in the mountains, right?

I really don't know what brands and models to look for, any advice?

edit: I think IR is in southern Georgia right now, but maybe he's moved back to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm inflating them to the pressure on the doorjamb (I actually came in here the first time I needed to air them up because I was confused). They're KYB GR1s or something like that, they needed replacement shortly after I got the car.

I was under the impression they were the OEM for the stock suspension, so my father and I did the replacement. Do you think it's possible the bolts being out of torque specs might have to do with it? We didn't have a torque wrench at the time, but my dad was sure it would be fine. On the other hand, most of his mechanic experience has been with beat to poo poo trucks older than he is, so I've been kind of wondering if that could be the cause of the rough ride.

edit: Looks like the DWS don't come in my size, is there a good guide to brands/models to look for and look out for?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 26, 2012

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, they are 205/60/15, still running the stock wheels. I'm not sure exactly when it is that it feels rough, I'll pay attention when I'm driving it next and see if I can tell. I guess that's one upside of my main intersection being designed like poo poo and constantly losing asphalt.

That's odd, I was looking by tires for the car and it didn't show the DWSes. I'm not necessarily completely opposed to getting two sets of tires, but I'm a college student keeping his car running out of his parents' pockets, and I don't think they would go for it. I don't really see myself needing them either, the city cleans up what snow we get really quickly. The PO put Yokohama YK520s on, and I haven't had any problems with traction that weren't me being stupid. I was just hoping for something with a bit softer ride.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I posted about tires a few pages ago, and I just wanted to check to make sure of something. Either the conti DWSes or the Yoko 960ASes would do great on dirt/gravel too, right? Bad roads are more common for me than wet or snowy roads. I just don't see any mention of handling on loose dry surfaces when I read about their performance.

edit: While I'm here, how bad is the 4-speed automatic on the recent Foresters? Is it bad enough that someone who's not a car person would notice? My mother's looking for a new car and is mainly considering the Forester, Outback, CR-V, and CX-7. The Forester seems to have the best rear leg room, which is important since everyone in the family but her is over 6' tall, but I've heard the transmission isn't doing it any favors.

I'd like to talk her into a Legacy GT, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 1, 2012

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I posted a while ago about getting new tires. I still haven't bought new tires, but when I started looking at the recommendations from earlier, I noticed that Seat Safety Switch linked 16 inch Conti DWSes, when my car has 15" wheels. Am I right in assuming that if I got those, I would need to buy new wheels to fit them on? What other differences would I notice? Is there a good resource to read up on this stuff so I don't have to keep asking a bunch of questions?

The car is a '99 Subaru Outback Sport, 205/60 r15 right now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dammit. Almost wondering at this point if I should just buy new rims, since there are so few 205/60R15s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might just go for those 16" wheels, since that makes replacements down the road a hell of a lot easier too. This car is either going to be with me or my little brother pretty much until it stops running, so long haul stuff seems worth it to me. New tires are going to swallow bumps a lot better than my old worn out ones even with the shorter sidewall, right?

The Legacies also frequently have 16" wheels, right? Is there anything particularly good about the 16" WRX wheels over the Legacy ones, or would I be fine with either? I need to stop by a junkyard soon anyway, I could look for wheels while I'm there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The difference probably isn't that noticeable, you can play around with tire pressures to make up for it. Stuff like the Contis is pretty optimized for ride comfort anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if they are much more comfortable.
I suggested WRX wheels since they seem to come up all the time, but 16" Legacy/Outback/Impreza/Forester wheels would be just fine as well.
Okay. Where do you tend to see the WRX wheels popping up a lot? Craigslist around here seems to be mostly people going "Hey, pay $200/ea for my lovely chrome rims".

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Mostly the local Subaru club, though I'm sure NASIOC has no end of them.
:downs: how did I not think of that?

How much do you want for the snowflakes, Jabberwocky? I'm in Colorado, so it hopefully shouldn't be too terrible shipping them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do the hydraulic clutches on subarus have a failsafe for if they don't get enough pressure to work normally?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Amandyke posted:

Not sure what you mean. It'd be no different if it was a cable clutch and the cable broke... You'd just have to shift without the clutch.

I was wondering because back when I got my clutch replaced, I'm pretty sure they forgot to bleed the clutch. Felt like brakes that hadn't been bled, except I could still shift. It was just about a 10-15 pound push at the very end of travel after absolutely no resistance the rest of the way. I'm surprised that it came back out, that's how little resistance there was up to that point.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A few months ago, someone (seat safety switch?) offered to let a set of snowflakes go for cheap. Are those still available? If not, anyone have some? Finally have the cash to get new tires, but I want to get some 16" rims so I don't have to try to find good 205/60/r15s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh yeah, that's right. Probably should have gone through my post history, but that would have been the smart thing to do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I sent an email to your gmail address. I don't have PMs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not sure how to google for this. Looking at a car with a 4EAT, it tends to switch between 3rd and 4th at high RPMs. Does anyone know what causes that? Is it a sign that the transmission will need replacing, or is it something fixable without replacing the tranny?

edit: Googling some more, I'm seeing references to vacuum leaks. Is that possible with the 4EAT? I don't know much about autos at all.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 19, 2013

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone have a recommendation for a shop in the Fort Collins, Co area? I'm going to need an alignment, so I don't want to drive super far from there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My driver side Sun visor came loose and now there's just bare metal holes where it used to be anchored. Anyone have any idea what I would need to replace it?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got a clicking coming from one of my right-side vents. I think it's the right center console one, but I haven't moved around in the car enough to be sure. I assume it's the fan, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to get in there?

edit: If it matters, '99 OBS.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is your antenna bouncing off your roof rack? That sound drove me crazy for a while the first summer I had my Subaru. I don't think I could hear it with the windows closed, though.

Does anyone have the number for a '99 drain plug crush washer? I think I tyre out the box for my last ones, last oil change I went to AutoZone and the guy sold me a variety pack, none of which ended up fitting. Ended up reusing the old one because I had to get the car moving again.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a '99 outback sport, is there a good guide to doing the accessory belt anywhere out there? And I just have one that runs everything, right? I just ask because the guy at the jiffy lube made reference to multiple belts. When it isn't so cold I'll have to take a look and make sure the timing belt isn't cracking too. It shouldn't be, I got it replaced about 25000 ago.

Edit: I think I will get a fumoto, I just took it to jiffy lube this time because I have no place to lie down that isn't covered in snow.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 16, 2014

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a secret to make replacing the spark plugs not be a tremendous pain in the rear end? Like, is there a particular type of wrench that actually fits? I remember the last time I did the plugs, about 30k miles ago, it took me 3 or 4 hours and I still hosed it up. I'm kind of tempted to just take it into the shop and have them do it unless there's one weird secret dealerships don't want me to know.

I love this car so much. I've been driving an E150 for work, and today was my first day using my Subaru again. I drove up through a mountain pass into Wyoming today, and I never had to downshift on a hill, even when I was well above 7000 feet. It started getting a little short of breath near the top of the pass, but it's actually fun to drive and it handled the elevation change and slopes like a champ. Basically what I'm saying is I want a gravel express.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, this one is probably a dumb question, but I'm gearing up for a lot of maintenance this weekend, and the jiffy lube guys told me both my turn indicators were out. I checked, and the two front ones near where the fog lights would be are still working. Are the lights under the orange portion of the headlight assembly turn signals as well, or are those for something else? Basically, should I be seeing two lights on each side light up when I hit the turn signal, or just one? I'm pretty sure it's two, but I don't want to waste time and money if it's just one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are Subarus really as picky about their coolant as nasioc says? And does that conditioning stuff actually matter? It sounds kind of like BMW $200 oil change BS.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can anyone that has driven both an h6 and turboed outback/legacy give a comparison of how they drive? If everything goes well I will be buying a new used car in the next year, and I'm interested in something with a bit more pep than the 2.5. I'm leaning towards the turbo because I live at 5000 feet, but I haven't had a chance to drive either.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Simkin posted:

I've got a 05 Outback XT, and transferred to it from an 02 WRX. It's nice and comfortable, seems nearly as fast, and is more pleasant on long trips. Also, has loads of cargo room and leather. On the downside, it's heavier, and just not as fun overall to play with as the WRX was. I guess if I were to summarize it, it would be to say that it feels more 'grown up' but still a bit sporty. If I could somehow get a car with the character of the WRX but the liveability of the Outback, I'd probably switch, but at the moment, the OBXT is the sole car. Also, it gets way worse gas mileage - 10L/100km average on the WRX, 13L/100km on the OBXT..

That's good to know. I'd be moving over from an outback sport, and the seats can get a little uncomfortable after a few hours. I guess what I was wanting to know, though, is the difference between a 2.5t and a 3.0. Obviously both have more power than the NA 2.5, and IIRC you can only get the 3.0 with an automatic, but aside from that I'm just curious how the feel and power delivery is between the two options. I probably wouldn't be modifying either, so the ability to turn up the PSI and have more power on the turbo isn't really a factor.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got a squeaking coming from my front driver's side wheel well. I assume it's part of the suspension because it mostly squeaks when the car is jiggling during/after bumps or acceleration. It started either after I jacked up the whole front to replace the front passenger cv axle or after the garage did an alignment. Any ideas?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like a swaybar endlink but it wouldn't be associated with those repairs (I think).

One of my friends suggested that, one thing I forgot to mention was the front passenger ball joint separated while the front was jacked up. When I first drove it after I set it down, it made it about 20 feet before the front passenger wheel jerked forward. We got it back together, could the endlink have snapped from that? Would I have to do a whole new sway bar or just the end link? I'll take a look underneath when it isn't dark out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Where is the clutch fluid reservoir on a 99 outback sport? I saw a picture online that has it sort of behind the engine, but since mine is a 99 with the goofy dual air filter setup, the filter is where the fill cap is supposed to be. I don't see anything underneath the box either. Am I just missing it, or is the reservoir someplace else?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm pretty sure it has one. The shop where I got it done referred to it as being a hydraulic clutch, and they also forgot to bleed the clutch, so it had no resistance until the very end of the travel for a couple weeks. I don't go to that shop anymore. Having a cable clutch would explain why the clutch is on the heavy side for a hydraulic, though. I'll see if it's up in the corner when I can get someone to lift the hood for me. I'm on such a low weight restriction after surgery I can't even lift the hood without hurting myself.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 5, 2014

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess I do have a cable clutch, which makes me even more glad I don't go to that shop anymore. But now I have another question. Does anyone know the part number for the front hazards/turn signals for a 99 OBS? The ones next to the headlights, not the ones next to the fog lights. I looked for the bulbs at o'reilys, the book didn't have a number.

E: never mind, turns out it's in the manual, I just missed the bulb page last time I looked through it.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 7, 2014

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, that squeaking I thought was a sway bar or blown strut turned out to just be a loose nut on the strut mount. So that's a relief. Are valve cover gaskets a bitch to do? They seem like a bitch to do. Mine are leaking, and since I need to replace the plugs and wires anyway, I figure I should get them done.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, now I'm noticing a popping when I make sharp turns. Pretty much just when parking, the wheel has to be at least 180 degrees over. Googling suggests lower control arm bushings. What am I looking for down there to see if it's right? Kind of pissed that the mechanic didn't notice it yesterday, since they were looking in that same wheel well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One of my hatch struts blew out during a cold snap. I want to replace it, but I don't really feel like paying the $100 from the dealership. Are there any good aftermarket ones, or just someplace to get the OEM ones that isn't that expensive?

Not sure how much the model matters for that part, but it's a 99 OBS.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess I'll probably go with the AMS ones from RockAuto, unless anyone has had negative experiences with them. I don't know wreckers around here that have much in the way of subaru parts unless I drive for an hour. Which is weird, because over 10% of the cars I see around here are subarus, but the junkyards around here seem to be full of Jeeps and pickup trucks.

Maybe because the Subarus are all still on the road.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn't even see them on NAPA's website. AutoZone, Advanced, and the dealership would all have to order them in. I didn't check O'Reilys.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How much ground clearance do you lose from the Fumoto valves? I'm debating getting one, but I really enjoy the ridiculous clearance my OBS has for the rare times I go on roads that are just two tire ruts, or where there's rocks and erosion all over the place.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I need new headlights. Is that something I can replace myself without needing to re-aim them? And what brand should I go for? I haven't replaced these things in the 5 years I've owned the car, and I didn't notice any mention of them being replaced in the notes the PO left in the manual last time I was looking through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think just bulbs. They have just gotten dangerously dim, I didn't realize how bad they were until I had to go up into the mountains a couple nights ago.