Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
So for my first car, Im thinking about getting a used Impreza "sport" hatchback and putting a couple small mods in there to give it some extra pep. I would get a WRX, but the insurance is way too high, Im a young guy, and I dont need ALL that power for my first whip. So would an Impreza hatch with like a bigger air intake or wider exhaust system be a good idea for my situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Seriously considering trading in my civic si coupe for a 3.6R outback circa 2015ish. I would go for the xt onyx, but they’re all still about 30k around me. Need something that can haul a lot, do some light off-roading, and zip around at a decent clip.

Do folks in the thread like these models? Any common issues I should be aware of? A stage 1 tune worth it at all?

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 10, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Wrar posted:

I would see if you can get a 10-14 3.6R instead. It has the 5 speed auto and not the CVT. The only thing I've changed on my 13 is the shocks/struts, and maintenance parts.

OEM suspension parts or something aftermarket?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

I don't understand used WRX prices, you're essentially better off just buying one brand new one. I wouldn't want one modded to poo poo.

It’s basically the state car of Connecticut, and they hold their value to an absurd degree. like an 05 with 200k miles and multiple past accidents will sell for $10k+.

e: Has anyone here installed the STI rear sway bar on an outback? how did it affect the handling?

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 11, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
This outback 3.6 i’m looking at looks about perfect for the price, but the head unit has visible touch sensor lines, which is apparently a common issue. Anyone here find an easy solution to that? How does an anti glare screen protector affect it?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
There are A LOT of young men willing to pay too much for a wrx with 150k+ miles on it. I see them listed for well above kbb in the north east all the time.

When I was looking for a car a few years ago, I could either get a wrx with 130k+ miles (and hard miles at that) or a civic si with 28k on the odometer for 13 large.

Have you checked craigslist to compare?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Just bought a new to me ‘17 outback 3.6r. I adore it, and I can’t wait to do all sorts of dumb boy things like black out the badges and chrome trim, swap the rsb with a 19mm, and maybe throw on a louder axleback.

But i’ve noticed the driver-side headlight has had condensation it in since I picked it up. All times of day, even if it’s been in the shade. The passenger side one is fine. From some googling, it’s possible a vent is plugged, but I couldn’t seem to find any vent holes when I looked under the hood.

Any suggestions I can try before schlepping back to the scheister dealer?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone installed a radar detector and/or a dash cam in a subaru with eyesight? Anything special to keep in mind there?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here gotten a CVT tuned? I got a 2017 Outback 3.6r, and i’m definitely interested in anything I can do to make it zippier

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone had experience putting a legacy suspension on a 5th gen outback?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
How are duralast sway bar end links? I’m trying to replace the rear sway bar, but the bolts on the stock ones are pretty rusty. Will I see any performance benefit from nicer ones from Ralitek or another performance oriented brand?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with RSR springs on a gen5 outback? perhaps i’m chasing consumption to avoid negative feelings, but i’ve been fantasizing of turning my outback 3.6 into more or a sportwagon

I’m installing a stiffer sway bar this weekend-that is if i can get the rusted bolts off the end links—and will be adding some UHP tires in the next few months.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Well I mean the FA24 handles boost fine in the Ascent and Outback. Too bad about the CVT thing (Cobb claims any tune that increases performance on an outback xt will kill the CVT)

Would the same be true on a 3.6 with a CVT? Seems CVT tunes are pretty popular on the Outback forum, but any model-specific forum is usually filled with the dumbest people alive

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
lol

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’ve noticed that my 2017 Outback 3.6 makes an arrhythmic ticking/clicking noise from the engine bay when it’s running. It doesn’t follow any regular pattern, so it doesn’t seem like something coming from a piston or belt that moves at a constant rate. You can only hear it from the outside, even when the AC/heater is off. Car runs fine, no errors on an OBD scan.

I’ll try to get a clip of it this afternoon, but any idea what this could be?

Also, has anyone figured out how to disable ABS and other nanny features on this gen of subaru (besides using the TSC off button, which only disables one layer)? That is, without loving up the awd and other essential features. Is there a fuse I can pull? Trying to have some fun on dirt roads/snowy lots, so some temporary dashboard lights shouldn’t matter

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Plus you’ll have four grand to spend on vape juice and a catless down pipe

A 2019 forrester is going for 37k? Jesus i bought a 2017 Outback 3.6 with 40k miles last summer for 25k, which was way too much, but market is what it is

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
STI

e: speaking of, if anyone debadged their STI and wants make a couple bucks, i’ve been wanting to slap one on the outback for trolling purposes

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m a no-winger myself. I think it looks sharper as an understated sport sedan that can rip than as a boy-racer-mobile

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

i own every Bionicle posted:

I did a time attack in the lesbian speed wagon last week. It was a ton of fun. Good news: faster than a new Supra and a half second behind an R8. Bad news: significantly slower than several Golfs.

The front LSD is pulling me out of corners harder but I’m starting to spin the inside rear now. I think I will try to find a rear LSD (that does more than the viscous one that’s in it).

I want to do coilovers this winter. It will be Fortune 500’s, Feal 441’s, or KW V2’s, based on my budget and what’s available for the car. Likely 8k/8k swift springs. Any recommendations between the three of those?

extrmely cool whip my guy

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Why do they do it, then, if the CVTs sell like poo poo?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Tenchrono posted:

Picked up a 21 outback touring XT. They are totally cool lil wagons that are good for family gettin and driving around with big ol dogs and stuff right? Anything I should look out for? I am not planning on doing xxxtreme off roading since I have my land cruiser for that. All the reviews online made it seem like its a fairly non offensive utility vehicle thats reliable. The 450 mile drive over the weekend we took it on felt great, good power, and really really comfortable with about 5x the mpg the cruiser gets. I have another 4 days to see if I really like it or not before I cant return it.

I’m not sure if it’s still the case in the 6th generation, but installing a 19mm rear sway bar in my ‘17 improved the handling a lot. It’s flatter in turns and gives me a bit more confidence when hauling rear end around entrance ramps.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a great excuse for the STi rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m thinking of picking up a $5k shitbox to whip around the woods and learn the basics of rally driving. Wyatt from Team O’Neill suggested a 2006 2.5 NA impreza as a good beginner car. Anything else I should consider? Weren’t first gen Forresters essentially on the impreza platform?