Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
How hosed is my transmission? I have an 04 WRX and I was parked on a hill with the front of my car facing down, so I had my car with the e-brake up and the car in gear (reverse) because it's a pretty steep hill. I forgot my car was in gear so I dropped the clutch without thinking, and my car jerked real hard and made a pretty high pitched whirring sound. I started driving and the sound went away, I drove about a mile to my friends apartment. When I got there, I put the car in reverse and it made a horrible, horrible metal grinding sound. It was also difficult for me to get it in first after that. I'm getting it towed tomorrow to a dealership, but does anybody know what I'm looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

I take it you couldn't back up when in reverse? You probably shredded the idler gear, the teeth for gear engagement or one of the other reverse gears. The horrible grinding sound is teeth not engaging and knocking against each other a bunch of times per revolution. The whirring sound you heard is probably related to the metal shavings and chunks floating around in the oil.

It actually moves when I put it in reverse, it just sounds horrendous.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have an 04 WRX park on a hill pretty much everyday and now the parking brake doesn't really have that high pitched cranking sound anymore when I pull it up...Is this a sign that its going to need to be tightened soon?

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

Definitely Tim Bailey if you're in northwest.

any synthetic of the appropriate weight for your usage is fine. I use shell 5-40. for winter driving you could go down to a 0w-30. for track usage a 15w-50 would be better.

I keep hearing negative things about mobil 1 so I tend to avoid it.

What's bad about mobil 1? Because I've been using that for awhile now.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What's a good place to buy OEM parts (04 WRX)? The glass on my passenger side mirror is cracked and the dealership wants like $150 to replace it.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Black88GTA posted:

To contribute - in my searches I found a kind of awesome Subaru online parts lookup that includes European models, and way better diagrams than the ones on subaruparts.com. Apologies if this has been posted already...

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

This is great, thanks.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is the engine in my WRX gonna blow up with a tank of 87 in it?

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Due to the gas situation on Long Island I had to put 87 octane in my 04 WRX, I assume I should be ok as long as I take it easy?

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Looking at new cars and a forester was recommended to me. I had a 2004 outback but it was pretty sluggish and I didn't like it that much.

I currently have a Mazda 3 hatchback but I'm getting sick of driving a stick around Boston, so I'm looking at either a CX-5 or a Forester.

Any glaring issues with 2014-2017 foresters? Do they have any pick up to them? I don't think I'd be looking at a turbo model honestly.

I'm in a very similar boat, but debating over the Forester XT or a Honda CRV EX. I'm coming from a 2004 WRX, so there's a bit of Subaru loyalty here. I can get a better deal on the CRV, so I'm leaning towards Honda.I test drove both and they were both great rides.

Is the Subaru AWD really going to blow Honda out of the water? I may take it on the beach and take it up on ski trips a couple times in the winter, but other then that just worried about lovely North East conditions for daily driving. Any other thoughts also welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what the deal is with 2017s like this http://www.riverheadbaysubaru.com/certified/Subaru/2017-Subaru-Forester-Long-Island-NY-700de2bd0a0e0a6b1b4f73a55e97202e.htm?

I've seen a few pop up now on true car, I'm assuming they were demo cars? What's a realistic offer to make on it?