Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I want a Subaru so bad and this thread isn't helping. I saw one on a local cl and wanted some opinions. Its a 98 Legacy Outback with 125k miles on it. It comes with two sets of rims and three sets of tires.

These are the repairs done

Timing Belt replaced 5/2007
Water Pump replaced 5/2007
A/C Belt replaced 5/2007
Front brakes pads and rotors 5/2007
Head Gasket replaced 11/2007 (warranted by shop)
All valve stems replaced 11/2007
Clutch replaced 4/2008
Battery replaced 6/2008

And this is the work that needs to be done

Front O2 Sensor, Left Front Wheel Bearing, Left Front Axle needs some work (tear in the rubber boot which is allowing the grease to leak out), Left Rear Seat Belt needs replacing

They're asking 4500. Besides what is listed, are there any upcoming repairs that will be needed? It seems like the major stuff has been covered in the last year. How much will what they have listed cost to repair? Is this a decent deal? Anything I should ask them about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I'm hopefully going to be looking at a 2001 Legacy GT Limited this weekend. Its a 5spd and their asking 5250 for it. They haven't replaced the timing belt and it sounds like there might be some quirks with getting into reverse which I'm assuming is likely the linkage going bad? Anything I should look at with this car? It doesn't sound like they've done much to it besides change the oil and they're the 3rd owner. If I offered them what their asking minus the cost for the timing belt change would that be reasonable for the car?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

96 Impreza with this:

"There is a minor problem, the AWD light is on; there is a small leak in the AWD oil line. It doesn't affect driving at all, just no All wheel drive. Other than that, no problems!"

What could be the issue and how much would it cost to fix it? Worth the hassle? Is the oil line unrelated to non-functional awd? Is there a better way to narrow down that issue? I'd like a cheap winter car if an inexpensive fix is possible.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

bull3964 posted:

There's no such thing as an "AWD Oil Line" on a Subaru.

If the AWD light is on, that means it's an automatic. The center differental that controls the AWD system is bolted on and shares fluid with the transmission. If there is fluid leaking, it's transmission fluid.

The AWD light being on could be something as simple as an electrical fault which is disabling the system or a mechanical fault which is going to involve some transmission related work.

Yep, its an automatic. Is the light just the hey-your-awd-isnt-working idiot light?

My brief googleing says solenoid C is the little guy that likes to go out back there. Would low fluid cause this? I would assume it would just work until it drained and seized up instead of progressively disabling itself? Someone said replacing the fluid can sometimes clear up issues like this.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Yeah, the entire description of the problems never made much sense to me even in my limited knowledge gleaned through this thread and the basic info I dug up when trying to research what he listed as wrong. Is fwd only mode really that potentially damaging to the transmission if left on and is it really only user enabled? The car can't throw some codes that causes it to automatically be enabled?