Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

It's drat near stock, although it really needs to let the turbo spool more freely. I'd like the power to come on more smoothly and faster. I guess that's what happens when my first car was a torquey 2.4 four and the second weighed nothing. It's got the STI muffler so it sounds much nicer and a kartboy short shifter. I've added a 10" subwoofer in a truck box and made an aux in for the pioneer head unit.

I want to do an uppipe and a downpipe with a tune but I have another project at the moment.

I had to spend 1100 on a new door because someone backed into it at a party :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

funkyboogaloo posted:

Yeah I've heard about this, but I haven't heard anything about it being their new WRC platform. The Impreza is just too big now I think, not engineered specifically for the WRC like the previous generations of Impreza.
The new and 01-07 Imprezas are almost exactly the same size.

2008: Length: 173.8 in. Width: 68.5 in. Height: 58.1 in. Wheel Base: 103.1 in. Curb Weight: 3142 lbs.
2007: Length: 175.8 in. Width: 66.7 in. Height: 58.5 in. Wheel Base: 99.4 in. Curb Weight: 3252 lbs.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 4, 2008

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Shorter is an advantage. See Puegot 307.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's because they dropped the ball in the later stages when they were looking fantastic earlier.
Correct. Several of the Evo Group N drivers were standing on the pedal and got well into day two when they simply ran out of concentration and did forest excursions. But they were noticeably faster than the Group N Subarus. Another thing of note was that not one team with the new chassis had the same suspension setup. The second run through of reverse Ouninpohja had a lot less cars on it, and some of the ones that were there had been rolled.

It's marketing reasons because drat near everything in Europe is a hatch or wagon. Seriously. 3/4 of the cars we saw in London and Finland? Hatches.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

MMD3 posted:

Can I hang out in this thread? I just bought a Saabaru.

No pics yet since the weather hasn't been that nice but it's an '05 MT... whole lot of fun to drive and I got it for less than I would have paid for a similar mileage WRX. bless depreciation and private sellers.
Hello Saabaru buddy. Welcome to the crew.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

MMD3 posted:

It looks like you're working on Stage 2 exhaust... I'd love to know which uppipe and downpipe you went with. My plans in no particular order are tint, low-end re-enforcement (hopefully a discrete sub as I'd like to leave my cargo space as open as possible), maybe some 6.5's in the doors, then sway bars, springs, access port, and stage 2 exhaust.

How much did you pick up your exhaust for and what brands are the components? I've been starting to read up on things over at saab92x.com
I haven't gotten anything yet. I figured I'd ask first. I spent 1115 on a new door because some fuckface backed into my car at a party and insurance here in Miami feels a lot like rape.

Really, just get a WRX sedan sway and call it a day for handling unless you want to get a quality coil over kit. A bit of proper feathering at speed and the car rotates nicely.

I have another project I should document for AI, since it's pretty cool.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

TurboLuvah posted:

My LGT's transmission was loving butter, Cobb SS, bushings, and Smurfblood/Mutul fluid, smooth perfect shifts :). But yes, reverse was sometimes a PITA to get into, but it's like that pretty much every manual transmission car I've driven, old or new. Next time you can't get it into reverse, try putting it into first (or fourth) then trying reverse.
The exception to this seems to be Hondas. Hondas have gearboxes made from love and fluffy pillows of steel or something.

This thread makes me wish I had a lot more money :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

jamal posted:

yeah getting into reverse on my 140k mile 5 speed is pretty irritating and grindey sometimes.
I generally stick it in first or second, double-clutch and it will slide right in. I only have 50k on my car, though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Fantastipotamus posted:

My buddy has an auto non-turbo 09, and he loves it. And I love the huuuuge-rear end sunroof. Having ridden in it several times, it's very smooth, and has plenty of get-up. Subaru definitely do a fine job of giving their non-turbo cars some oomph.

I haven't driven it, so I can't speak to how the transmission feels, per se, but riding in it is plenty fine.

loving deals. Stupid STi's. I love my Legacy dammit, stop making me question my faith!
I know, I was running some numbers in my head to see if I could get an STi but I decided against it. I like my current car too much.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What fluids do I use in my diffs/gearbox? I drive pretty hard, and the car has 50k on it now. I figure it's time to get them changed out.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

sliderule posted:

I'm looking to pick up an 02~05 WRX. I test drove an 02 wagon on the weekend, and I'm going to echo the rest of the world in being disappointed with steering feel. Reading around (NASIOC), it seems that several things can tighten the stock rack up a bit. Aside from bushings, it seems that stiffening up the frame can help.

Will the addition of fender braces (like these) and a front strut tower brace make a good enough improvement, or should I just look at swapping in the STi steering rack?
If you can find a Saab 9-2X they come with the STi rack stock. The STi rack is awesome.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

jamal posted:

physically it will bolt to the transmission and motor mounts and fit in the engine bay. That's where they easy part ends.

And loving right I'm going to drive that thing.
I have an aquantence that is doing a turbo 6 in an Impreza :) I'll have to ask him how it's coming along.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just got into an accident in my 9-2X. Front right fender is crumpled and steering arm snapped. Strut tower looks fine but honestly I don't know.

What a lovely week.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

raffie posted:

Had the APS CAI installed in my 08 wrx hatch today, well actually my dad went to get it done as i was at work, but i made sure the shop guys knew what to do.

I had them do a baseline run on a Dynapack before installation, just for reference. The car put down 224 horses at the axles, alot more than i expected. Immediately after the install my dad had them do another power run (pointless, i know), and it churned out a staggering 168 horses, ha. The next run netted 179. I guess the ecu is trying to figure out what to do.

After the exhaust is installed later this month i'll be getting it tuned, most likely with an opensource reflash.
I always thought the rule of thumb was that a CAI was pointless until you're well over 300 WHP.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

TurboLuvah posted:

It is not a good month for us EJ20T owners :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Still waiting on the body shop, they say it won't be done till late next week :suicide:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The 2.5L turbo was introduced to the WRX in 06, the STi in 04 (USDM) and the Legacy GT in 05. The Forester XT got it in 04.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 29, 2009

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I need new tires, too. The RE960AS might fit my needs, but my car never sees winter or temps below 40. It does see a poo poo-ton of rain.. I drive aggressively when I can. I'd like to get 20 to 25k miles out of the tires.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just ordered the RE960As. They had a big price drop, and the rebate is nice.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

So...

One of the local dealers has a 2005 WRX with 33K miles listed at $14,599. I took it for a drive today and good lord was I impressed. I've primarily driven FWD sedans or RWD suvs so having so much feel for the road and such response was I must say shocking. I've never been so impressed with with a car so quickly. I think I'm smitten. And between tax returns, and selling a project car added to some savings I potentially have about $7,000 to throw at a car.

Now is there anything I should look for in this model year? Issues, problems etc? I'm not dead set on this car but it's certainly taken the lead in my car search.
See if you can find an 06 WRX or Saab 9-2X and drive that. The 2.5 turbo is so much nicer to daily drive than the 2.0.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm starting to wonder if my ABS is so poo poo because I prolly need new rotors/pads. I'll put it back in when I change my rotors and pads in a month or so.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
And the last gen Legacy was just the right size too. Holy mother that thing is massive.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Miami.
Oh well, it's a great wet weather car. I've always wanted to move somewhere that gets snow one day.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
In Subaru's defense, the first place their cars really took off outside of Japan was Australia.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 10, 2009

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

RealKyleH posted:

If you have a just oiled cooled turbo like almost all of the Chinese turbos and a lot of JY turbos will be and want to get out of your car at the end of driving it then yes absolutely. I think the complaints about them made thus far are rather subaru specific. To imply that they don't have perfectly reasonable uses is sorta ridiculous.
It does make the car super-easy to steal. I just got back from Austin where work was paying for a Yaris for nearly 2 weeks. I nearly forgot how sweet my car is.

quote:

RE960AS
Incredible rain tire. I had Sumitumo HTR+ from the previous owner and these are a huge upgrade.

Jamal, is there anyone you suggest for tuning? I don't trust anyone in the South Florida area. I have had several recommendations for Equilibrium Tuning. Is there anyone you might suggest?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

dayman posted:

Yeah, the STi needs at least 30 more hp to make it worthwhile over slightly tuning a WRX. As far as auto vs. manual, we need more information. How much of an enthusiast is your wife? Personally I don't mind rowing through gears from stop light to stop light, but that kind of thing gets old for a lot of people.
The auto in the WRX isn't very good. If you're going to get the auto, just get a regular Impreza.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure that's to do with better drivers than car capability.
A regular 2.0 turbo is a bit of a pain in the rear end in a rallycross. It's difficult to keep the car in boost. Between that and the fact that the 2.5 weighs around 300 pounds less and is slightly smaller.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I live in South Florida and the RE960as have been nothing but amazing in the rain.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

daslog posted:

That's a good start for me, thanks. What if I wanted to add a turbo? ;)
Buy a motor that comes with one.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey guys, I need new brake pads for my DD 9-2x Aero. Any suggestions?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have an STI catback, it sounds nice. :)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

warwick5s posted:

Is there any reason why an exhaust off an 04 STi wouldn't work on my 07 WRX wagon?
Not that I know of. I have an 06 STi exhaust on my 05 Saabaru wagon.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

TeMpLaR posted:

An update on the STI - I decided to keep it. I am doing something that some of you may deem sacrilegious: I am going to replace the wing with the STI Limited spoiler.

If it gets keyed again I am selling it.
I don't think anyone here would ding you for wanting less attention, given the fact that you've been keyed.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Bob Log posted:

Seafoam is a terrible idea, search the forums, there's an old thread about all the pros and cons somewhere. I've used it on my cuda but no way on my subie.

The gas is most likely just bad from that station, either they are doing something to it or I don't know what the gently caress. After I got my accessport and tune I was warned about checking the dynamic advance multiplier after I filled up because if a station has bad gas the engine will lower that to a degree. I think what you're probably learning is which gas stations are lovely around you. Avoid those stations that give you such problems and you should be fine.

If you think there's some poo poo gas in the bottom of the tank I'd recommend getting a 5gal or 3gal gas can, filling it up with known good gas, then driving your car till it runs out of gas, then fill it up and see if the problems continue.
That's a terrible idea. Running a car out of gas is awful for the fuel pump.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey guys,
I was on the highway and noticed a strange smell coming from the from the front of My 05 Saabaru (EJ20T). It didn't smell quite like fuel, and there wasn't any visible problem, and it went away intermittently.

When I pulled off I popped the hood, and there was smoke coming from the turbo, or at least somewhere within the turbo heat shield. The car seems to run fine otherwise. I just had the oil done. Is there any way to check the car? I have limited access to tools etc. Is it possible the turbo is blown? =/

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Black88GTA posted:

Maybe someone spilled oil on there during the change and it's just burning off?
Oil cap is on the front right of the motor. The turbo is on the rear left. I either have a damaged oil line or loose banjo bolt.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm talking out of my rear end but it probably wouldn't be difficult to retrofit some Legacy seats into an STI. Subaru is pretty awesome about parts being easily swapped.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Having differently sized tires is very bad for the AWD system, most specifically the differentials.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
We don't even do a plug-in test in Florida. There is zero testing in this state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cat Terrist posted:

Think I have the handling problem on my STI figured out. Raised the suspension and it looks decidedly better already.
Explain?