Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I really liked the kartboy I had on my 5 speed, but that was a direct linkage and not cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
North America never got an EZ with a manual. At least stock.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

simplefish posted:

I can buy a whole toyota corolla for the price of an o2 sensor for my similarly aged outback

Wtf is wrong with the world

Uh where are you getting it from?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

simplefish posted:

Repco, which seems to be Autozone by the logo?

Nearest junkyard a 3 hour drive away

It's a 2004 Outback so when I saw a 2004 Corolla I was shocked it costs what they wanna charge me for a sensor

Nice with the thread title by the way!

You could probably order the same thing from rock auto or Amazon for way less

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Probably. Just don't lean into boost so much. Did you have it tuned for the 52? Do you have a stockish map for the 46?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

Hi friends, quick Q. Having trouble getting search hits for this. Can anybody advise where the fuel pump access is on a 2012 Forester (NA, trash engine, Limited trim)? I'm just wondering if it requires a tank drop or if I can hit it from the cargo compartment.

Pull the passenger seat, it's right under there.

This is a pretty good video on pulling the assembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyiF9EjAR1k

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The XT has a turbocharged engine, it should be really good up at altitude. The 4Runner is already 4-800lbs heavier and won't have any boost. You could always see if someone makes a lift kit for a Model Y if you like your Tesla otherwise.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Take a picture please.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I would not consider an Ascent just due to the physics of using something that big with a CVT. I don't believe that anyone can build one strong enough to put up with that much weight. Any reason why you aren't looking at a minivan instead? If you want space it's a better choice by far.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It should be pretty easy. I've replaced several on my Outback. You can just pop them out with a sledge.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I would see if you can get a 10-14 3.6R instead. It has the 5 speed auto and not the CVT. The only thing I've changed on my 13 is the shocks/struts, and maintenance parts.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Prius doesn't use a belt/cone CVT. Subaru does. The Prius also has one of the most proven drivetrains. Subaru's CVT is very expensive to replace when it dies.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I put Bilstein B8s on because the originals were done, and I like the extra body control. It does transmit some of the smaller stuff, but it handles the bigger bumps way better.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Husky or Weather Tech laser sized floor mats are the answer for sure. Especially since you have kids.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

net work error posted:

Subaru also sell their own all weather mats that you might be able to squeeze out of the dealer if it's a new car.
When I got mine it was included in the sale.

Yeah. I have those in my Outback. They suck compared to a Husky or Weather Tech set.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have a '13 3.6R, I can take a look later.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Wasabi the J posted:

Any difference? It looks like it comes off my radiator.

Mine are identical. If I had to guess, it's some kind of transmission or differential breather.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's a 3.6r but you are in Vegas. Get aftermarket aluminum rad and a nice big transmission cooler. The lines are extremely easy to get to.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 8, 2021

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hi it's me, I didn't buy a WRX because of the lack of a hatch and somewhat because of the premium requirement. I have a Focus ST now that I got when Ford decided to stop making cars for the US that weren't Mustangs. I do miss the way AWD feels into and out of corners.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2021

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlackMK4 posted:

Check youtube for Subaru direct injection cricket noise and compare the sound

EZ36 is port injection.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

Oh man, talking about performance parts reminded me of something I hadn't considered. It's November and my STI came with summer tires! Luckily I'm in the south and haven't had to drive it while its less than 50-something out but I need to fix this before it gets colder.

Anyone recommend a decently cheap set of all-seasons to use for about 4 months a year? I don't think I want winter's because it does randomly warm up throughout the winter here.

Do you want something a bit more performance fun or you just need something that does not become a hockey puck below freezing?

For a decent all season that's not expensive: General Altimax RT43.

For something a bit more performance oriented: G-MAX AS-05

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Boogalo posted:

I really wonder about longevity of DSG and CVT. Manual in my '04 wrx wagon with vf39 is still going strong and pushing 200k with no maint other than regular fluid changes.

Sitting in washington DC traffic for any amount of time does make me wish for an auto though.
Belt CVTs from every brand don't last, but DSGs are fine. It's really a clever automated manual. For normal driving the clutches last just as long.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's a fast way to absolutely murder your center differential.

The towing king of Outbacks is the 10-14 3.6R at 3500lbs. It still has the 5EAT.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Majere posted:

Are dual clutch transmissions worser than cvts all things considered or are they just costly and therefore not used? Seems like a better choice for a sport sedan than a shitbox cvt...

Subaru resents the WRX and STi because???????

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The CVT is poo poo but probably won't be an issue for a while. Check if there are any recalls. Do what you outlined and replace the fuel filter too.

How long has the car been sitting?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

IG-88 posted:

South Florida

My batteries in FL lasted 5-8 years. Sounds hosed.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The stock pads are fine but will be very pricey compared to aftermarket options.

Power Stop and Raybestos have kits that also include rotors.

Never cheap out on brakes or tires.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ooooooffffff I'm sorry. At least Subaru engines are easy to pull.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

dew worm posted:

Time to replace the stock tires on my ‘17 Forester. A little overwhelmed with options.

Lots of folks like the Falken Wildpeaks and they look badass. Just worried they are a little overkill and maybe not the best option for what is essentially is a commuter car. I take my Forester on the beach about half a dozen times a year and live in the North East but for the most part I’ll be driving on pavement. Any thoughts?

Michelin Cross climate 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I’ve been thinking of pulling the trigger on these for a while now but a tire+wheel package on Tire Rack ain’t cheap. Are these a good year-round tire or should they be winter-only? If they can totally replace the stock tires on my 2018 Impreza I may just do that.

I live in northern Michigan (not UP but close) and several people in the area run them year round and don't get stuck. They're a wet/winter favoring all season.

If your climate is similar they're a good choice.