Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Yay! I just got notice that the rear koni inserts for my LGT shipped today! (I've had the fronts for a few weeks now) I may have to start the install this weekend...

On another note, I saw a video recently on the difference between bellmouth downpipes and divorced wastegate downpipes and it wasn't really clear on when the divorced being better matters as far as power numbers... Is it always better or does it not matter until you're seeing big numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

What engine do the pre 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sports have? Is it only the 2.2 or did some have the 2.5 as well?

At some point here I'd like to get a project car to have some fun with, and I like the idea of buying an old one for sub 5k and having some fun seeing what I can do with an N/A build and trying out rally racing.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

8ender posted:

I believe they came with either the 2.2 or the 2.5 depending on the year. Of course the 2.5 for those years had the head gasket eating problem but if you're looking for a project car the new head gaskets fix the problem permanently and it would make a great project car.

Can anybody confirm/deny the 2.5?

I wouldn't be worried about the head gasket situation as part of my fun build would be doing some head work, which the gasket fix would be a part of.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

So it's looking more and more like I'm going to pick up a 93-99 Impreza Wagon as a project car when the right one comes along.

My plans are to get into rally racing with it, have some fun wrenching, and take it camping.

From what I can tell it seems like 97-99 are the best years to go for as they have the improved 2.2 and I thought I read somewhere that the suspension and engine bits from the 2.5rs aftermarket bolt right up. Confirm/Deny? The engine part doesn't sound quite right, but still, it doesn't seem like it'll be terribly hard to get i/h/e on there with maybe some headwork, cams, and tune for a little extra fun.

I'm excited about the prospect of my very own project thread :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Disciple of Pain posted:

Yeah.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/893567203.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/865172239.html

You'll probably have the best luck looking for early to mid 90s Legacys... they seem to be a little easier to grab running and in good condition under 2k. Imprezas seem to hold their value a touch more and there aren't quite as many out there.

I've been looking for a project Subaru as well, and though my price cap is a little higher than yours, I've had the same problems you're experiencing. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reverse of buying a convertible in spring where people are either waiting until the weather passes to sell so they can get a little more use from the car, or raising the price because of the impending season.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

dphi posted:

Funny, I know the guy that used to own that car. He traded it to the current owner for an STi. I don't think it's as "half-assed" as nm says it is, but he's right about the price being too high.

I agree with others that it's mostly likely a pass, though since I'm also from the Seattle area, I understand the difficulty you're probably having finding one in decent condition. It took me a few months to find mine and I had to go to Eugene to get it (though it was a perfect 06 with 16k on it).

That guys mods leave me feeling lukewarm... Tein coilovers? Bleh. He clearly is a big fan of Perrin too.

I don't know... it's worth driving to see if you like it and if he is willing to move on price. I can't imagine cars, especially modded cars, are easy to sell right now.

I don't know if you like red or wagons, but here is an elusive 05 manual wagon that looks pretty badass (and needs to be lower for the mileage): http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/908192245.html

Here is a white spoilerless sedan with a little bit better of a price and an ugly mirror tint: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/900521739.html

One thing I learned shopping for these cars is look at the drivers seat bolster... they seem to wear if not taken car of and I passed on three or four LGTs with 30-40k because of this.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I can't say I know much about the auto trannies in the Legacys, but the manuals seem to handle that kind of mileage fine.

I suppose worst case scenario where it blows up you could always swap in a manual :)

But yeah, other than the transmission issue, it looks pretty darn clean for the price.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Looked at a couple potential project cars last night. I don't know how many of you follow the northwest ads section on NASIOC, but...

I went to see this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636894 and thought that maybe if he was negotiable on price it'd be good, but unbeknown to me he'd changed that ad to list "firm". It looked nice in person, but had a slight oil leak from the driver side valve gasket and needs a clutch pretty badly. I don't think it's worth $3k even with the upgrades. $2k seems about right, but he believes the car to be "rare".

Amusingly enough this guy: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1629271 was there too, looking to also test drive the 93. I wondered if the seller thought we'd end up competing for the car when all we really did was work together to inform the other of things wrong that we noticed. I also managed to get the guy to take me for a ride in his untuned 1.8t that's running rich and I was impressed at how fast and smooth it was for still needing work. If I end up with a 1.8 I may have to try the whole 2.2t head swap and turbo before doing a whole engine swap.

So I'll keep watching. I'm pretty much looking for a 93-01 Impreza wagon, 98-01 forester (though manuals seem to be rare), or maybe an 2.5rs, but their values seem to be overly inflated around here. My price limit is about $4k, and my plans include getting started in Rallycross, putting in a cage with my ol' Dad, and having something fun to take camping with the wife.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Lando posted:

For those thinking of an STI, Subaru is running a deal right now for 2008 STIs.
0% APR for 63 months, and some people are stating they are getting up to $8000 off MSRP. Subaru is giving dealers a huge money back thing to the dealers to move stock. 675 or higher credit rating is what is needed evidently to get the 0%.

Wait, so they're going for $27k?

Oh god that is too tempting for my own good.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

I posted a few pages ago, people are getting them with the BBS wheels for $29k locally. That would put a base STi at $27k, yes. I am ridiculously tempted to just take the light gray one at the dealership that I am getting my 09 WRX through, just because I don't want to wait anymore. Too bad light gray is a terrible color for the STi, and I'd need to get new wheels to put snow tires on.

I'm pretty tempted to trade my LGT in for satin white. Oh man :/

\/\/\/ Aspen White is even better! \/\/\/

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 25, 2008

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

So, I just calculated it out, and with interest over four years, I would pay $21,502 for my 2009 WRX. If I get the STi on the lot for $30,500 (maybe less if I can get them to dealer trade for one without BBS), and assuming I qualify for 0% (which I should), it would cost me $24,058. $2,500 to upgrade from a WRX to an STi. I never thought to factor in the interest. At the end of four years, the STi would probably still get about $20,000 private party (if depreciation is consistent). So, really, the STi is very doable.

I think I will be stopping by Village Subaru this weekend.

You know what needs to be done. :keke:

(and keep us updated!)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

After encouraging Mr. Powers to look at an STI I admittedly did the same myself.

I went to The_Slaughters dealership here in WA and test drove an 08 DGM sti. Initially asking was 29.8 with it having the short shifter, shift knob, all weather mats, the homelink mirror, and ipod interface.

Only prob is that the trade in offer for my 06 LGT 15.5, which while probably a little movable didn't seem movable enough relative to the sti price, so I don't know if I can bring myself to make the change. The sti is definitely awesome though.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 27, 2008

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

I think his dealership likes to play hardball on the trade-ins. I talked to him a lot about various things before I went in for the 09 WRX order, and he was saying that his dealership would give me something like $4000 trade on my '01 RS, and if I were dealing with him and wanted more for it, they'd just find somewhere else to make up for it. When I went to Village they offered $5900 for it.

That makes sense. I also wasn't dealing directly with Slaughter or his normal manager, it was a co salesperson and some non normal manager. I almost felt like the salesperson was giving me queues that the lack of more dealing was from him than a lack of desire on her part.

He even asked her to do the whole "write an offer on a piece of paper and sign it" thing that I find very amusing. It doesn't get more legally binding than a one sentence hand written contract :D

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Lazor posted:

Well you've gone and done it now. After hearing about the STi deal that was going on, and looking around online for dealers with them in stock, I'm now the proud owner of a Lightning Red 2008 STi with 48 miles on it (dealer was about 40 miles away and I took a 2 mile or so test drive). I got the $7k and 0% financing with no problems at all though they did heavily lowball me heavily on my trade in so I'm just going to sell it myself. It's going to be hard to follow the break in procedures, but it'll give me time to figure out what all of the nifty knobs and buttons do. Can't wait to take it to autox when I'm done.

Congrats! And don't worry, you're not the only one :):hf::)

I'll be posting pics of mine and the story later after I've gone and picked it up.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

"[ELP posted:

"]
I've always loved subarus, I've recently come across a couple of 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS's for sale. One has an engine swap with an O3 WRX and the other claims to be stock but wants 4000 over bluebook and is pretty firm. Are these cars really that overpriced? they seemed fantastic when I was looking to drop a good 5000+ another 3 for a turbo kit to make it a bit of a screamer but I'm also unsure of their mechanical reliability.

Anyone have any insights they can share about Impreza 2.5 Rs's?

I have off and on shopped for a project impreza for a while... It seems like a lot of people think they can mark the price wayyyy up because the car is "rare". I'd ignore those unless there is something that really makes it above and beyond special. rs25.com is a good place to watch and you should be able to find a good specimen there.

As for the WRX swap, the main thing I'd want to know was done well is the wiring harness. I know a lot of people that do the swap have theirs sent out.

From what I've heard the reason more people do the wrx swap rather than turbo the stock engine is because the cost v. reliability tends to favor the swap.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Qapf posted:

Hey Guys. I am thinking of getting an 08 WRX...

I know a few people have already answered this mostly, but I just wanted to mention that with the money it sounds like you could save getting an 08 over an 09 you could spend a grand or so on the suspension and another grand on some engine bits and have a car faster than an 09 that looks like an 09 while being cheaper than an 09.

I never got the whole "soft" thing with the 08 wrx because most people that want serious performance don't keep their car completely stock anyway so how stiff your struts or spring or whatever are is a moot point.

BannedForLulz posted:

but in reality its very vauge and most companies love to throw the term around to help push product, which is why AI hates it

It's the kind of stupid ricer term that reminds me of the "JDM pose" the was popular a few years ago.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Kardiac Kid posted:

I am thinking about trading in my 2007 Rabbit for a 2009 Impreza WRX Premium 4-Door with Navi. Looking at all of the features that come with the WRX Premium, I can't really see any justification for making a 7500 dollar jump in MSRP before negotiating to consider the STI. Anyone?

Let's seeeeeee

DCCD
Widebody with fenders that people have been fitting 18x10 wheels with 275 tires under
Stronger transmission, and a 6speed at that
Brembos
Nicer seats
etc, etc

True the 09 wrx is almost as fast as the sti in a straight line, but if you're looking for straight line speed there are better things to buy.

And f C&D, seriously, they suck.

Editing to say that both the wrx and sti are great, really. If you are funds limited you'll still be plenty happy with the wrx :) (and we'll heartily welcome you to our Subaru family)

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 8, 2008

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I finally took some pictures of my black Friday purchase :)

That's right, the temptation of the discounted STI and 0% apr proved to be too much for me. I traded in my 06 LGT towards the above 08 DGM STI. I'm super happy with it so far and I haven't even broken 1000 miles (328 as of 5 minutes ago :) ). Big thanks to TheSlaughter who works at a Subaru dealership local to me.

And look, that hatchback utility is already coming in handy!

A set of 17x8.5 rpf1s with brand new BFG super sport all season tires. I managed to grab them at a great deal from a local Mazdaspeed3 owner who blew his engine. He and some buddies were pulling the blown block and I managed to snap this little pic

Note the big jagged hole in the middle. Bad for him, but good for me since he had to sell the wheels and tires to fund a replacement engine.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

bull3964 posted:

:words:

I really think that the AI Subaru super thread should refrain from too much of the sti v. wrx debate. Really, we're better than that, I think we can all agree that they're both awesome cars.

That was why I edited my post to basically say so much, that the wrx is great, but so is the sti. I personally, wanted an sti over a wrx, but I totally understand if someone gets the wrx instead and will still compliment them for their excellent taste in cars.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Lazor posted:

Well at least I'm not the only one. Here's mine, got it with 8 miles on the clock the Saturday after black Friday and now have about 750 on it thanks to a couple of trips here and there. This included taking my friend to get his (WRB with gold BBS) tonight. After riding in mine and hearing about the deal, he couldn't resist either. I can't wait to get a few more miles on mine so I can not feel so bad about flogging it a bit.

Looking good! You're farther along than I am. 350 miles and just put my first tank of gas in it today!

:):hf::)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

MMD3 posted:

how much is the jazzy mod? like $75 or something?

why not just save your money for a better deck that does ipod interface or usb or that and aux-in or whatever it is you need?

If all you want is aux-in, the jazzy or a similar mod is the most affordable. Remember, the LGT has dual climate control that is integrated into the stock stereo, so to put an aftermarket deck in you have to purchase male/female wire harnesses (~$25) and a JDM plastic piece that costs $100 and allows you to put an aftermarket HU in place of the cubby. There are other options too, but they're only more expensive.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I'm about to hit 1k in my STI... Subaru doesn't require an oil change, but I've always heard it's best after an engine break in.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

The STI v. WRX arguement is all dependant on what you're looking for. Arguing which is better in a general sense seems kind of pointless to me.

Mr. Powers, you wanted a WRX so of course you're going to be happier with it. I for one prefer the 6 speed over the 5. Sure it's more shifting, but I like the control and feel it's nicer for cruising on the highway (imo).

Pasta, I doubt much will change for the 2010 WRX, maybe 2011.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Sipher posted:

Subaru dealership near me has an 06 WRX STI with 23,000 miles on it for sale. He's asking $25,600 for it.

He wants to give me $5700 on my 2002 Frontier XE Crew Cab with 57,000 miles. KBB values it at $7500 for "good" condition trade in. Needs tires and a windshield. Tires are balanced out by the STI needing tires soon too.

Test drove the STI for about 20 miles, felt good, although it was my first time in one.
Couple questions: The salesman told me the previous owner (who bought it from that dealership) ran 87 octane in the car. Any potential long term damage here?
At idle there was a significant rattle from the rear, possibly the exhaust? Any throttle made it go away. Is normal/common?
-edit- Appears to be a common issue with a heat shield, and easily fixable.

How much should I offer him, and how much should I ask for on my truck? The biggest thing stopping me is the lowball offer on my truck.

I bought an 08 at the end of November for about 2.5k more than that with options. And it had ~85 miles when I drove it off the lot.

So yeah, if it hadn't been run on 87, I'd suggest offering 20k, but with the 87 news, I'd walk away. It isn't worth the risk and they're not going to want to budge on price very much.

It's such a buyers market right now that you shouldn't have much trouble finding a good deal. Just watch iwsti and nasioc and I bet something you like will pop up.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Had a chance to finally autocross my STI a few weeks ago. What a blast!

And better yet, I managed to snag eight lightly used BFG R comps for $100 (for all! :) :) ). In case any of you were wondering, you can fit eight 245/40r18 tires in the back of an Impreza hatch (and still have room for two people!). :dance:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

platero posted:

I'm going to have to sell my baby soon to buy a house(2007 STI.) Ebaymotors listings show them going mostly in the 20-25k range, with mileage near mine (32k currently)
Is it likely that I can get at least 22k for mine? It's black and in great shape but the previous owner, for reasons unknown to me, swapped a regular WRX spoiler in place of the one from the STI. I know that the car market is crazy right now, but is that a reasonable price to expect?
edit: just looked up some local listings, and I'm seeing 05s and 06s going for 24k, so I'll hopefully be able to get that for mine. The Subaru places near me never did the crazy price drops on the 08s, so this may be the first time it's been an advantage to live in a lovely state.

The reason the previous owner swapped the spoiled is because a lot of people don't like the huge stock one the 04-07s came with, myself included. If you want to change it back for selling purposes, just post in your regions section of NASIOC that you'd like to swap. Often people are looking for one or the other. I don't think it will negatively effect the value though, for some people it actually makes it MORE desirable.

Also, are you sure you have to sell your car to get a house? Has a loan officer actually told you it'd help that much? I ask because I made the mistake of getting rid of my 04 WRX three years ago because I thought it'd help me get into a house and it barely made a difference in the final loan amount.

I think 22k for an 07 is pretty darn reasonable compared to what I've seen. I'd probably start at 24.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Anyone else get an e-mail from Subaru today offering free tickets to an advanced screening of Fast and the Furious 4?

According to the 'voucher' they had me print, my tickets are "in the mail" :dance:

It's going to be so bad... I can't wait! :rice:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

TurboLuvah posted:

Time for new rubber :c00l: Goodbye soft winter tires.

Gotta love that wagon functionality! :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Eugene Debs posted:

Lots of posts about a 99 GC

Ok, so basically you've recognized you can't build something powerful with your current motor short of a swap (though technically you could, it just might not be very reliable) and you're looking at suspension and brake changes to tide you over.

I've seen you mention springs, struts, and an anti lift kit, but nothing about sway bars. Definitely look into sway bars.

Jamal answered your strut question and it all comes down to money. I'd personally go with Koni, but you mentioned that making your Impreza handle better is in place of getting a turbo Subaru. $800 might be better saved towards that future car.

I'd personally avoid ground control springs, but I believe H&R are decent, if not good. I'm not sure how the H&R's pair with the stock struts though and poorly paired springs and struts can have a poor ride and wear prematurely.

You'd obviously benefit from the ALK if the stock bushing is shot, but if it's not I'd probably spend my money elsewhere first.

What kind of wheels and tires are you running? Perhaps consider a performance summer tire and a lighter/stronger wheel if you don't already have them?

Finally, regarding brakes... I don't know if I'd hassle with switching out the rear for disc, but for pad replacement check out Hawk.

For the things you want, troll the private classifieds section in your region on NASIOC. Their are lots of deals to be found and the 93-01 Impreza is super popular right now.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

jamal posted:

Why do you say that? With a set of konis, for example, you're going to want springs that are stiffer than what's available in stock fitment. So the answer is to get some ground control sleeves and springs for $400, in the rates and lengths of your choosing. You do have to make sure you get a length appropriate for the rate, travel, and desired ride height, though.

Also the Whiteline ALK is one of the best suspension modifications you can do to a Subaru. Probably my favorite single part to buy. That and a rear swaybar.

I got the impression from his posts that he was thinking about doing springs OR struts not both, and I suppose what I was trying to say, but not very well, is to make sure he gets rates and lengths that match well (i.e. if he gets just springs make sure they're springs that will work well with the stock struts).

I knew the rear swaybar was a must, but the Whiteline ALK? Really? Is that just the GC or do you feel that way towards installing it on all Imprezas and/or Subarus?

Eugene, if Jamal says do the ALK, do the ALK... he's way better at this than I am :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I think I'm going to sell my current project since it's pretty much "done" (91 Legacy wagon) and get something different.

I'm looking at a 98-01 Legacy, Outback, or Forester... Any thoughts on which one will be the most fun?

(Note: I'm aware of the misc issues each have, I'm just talking about fun for track use, winter use, and maybe some rallycross too post wrx brake swap, sti suspension swap, and some other fun stuff :) )

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Tiny Faye posted:

People rallycross in outbacks? Now this is something I gotta see.

I treated my Outback to new front rotors and a new battery for X-mas. Hooray for good breaks and not having slow starts!

I don't know if "people" do, but I sure would :) :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Sabotaged posted:

What's the consensus on cheap ebay catless downpipes? Is a 40$ one asking for trouble?

Not that paying for a $1000 downpipe is worth it, but don't expect a lot from a $40 one. And when I say don't expect a lot, I mean power, lack of rusting, and good welds.

warwick5s posted:

Would getting the SPT catback and intake add a decent amount of "boxer growl" to an 07 WRX without being too loud on the highway? I think those two things plus an accessport are really as far as I want to go mod wise until the warranty is out.

I'd say go for the exhaust, but skip the intake. Especially if you're at all concerned about warranty issues.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

ab0z posted:

The SPT intake voids your warranty?

Ah I misread his post as "SPT exhaust and an intake" so the warranty thing is a non issue, but Jamal is right, the SPT intake is pretty meh. Everything I've read on intakes short of pretty serious builds is 'meh' though.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

ab0z posted:

This is a turn-key group N car. Look at the suspension and drivetrain, you can't just buy these parts on ebay. For a fully prepared car with support from prodrive this is a pretty good value.

I still can't get past the mirror tint :(

On a different topic, how dumb would I be to buy a 97 impreza with three misfiring cylinders? :) :) I haven't looked at it yet, but something tells me the plugs are original. I figure I'll have it compression and leak down tested to make sure it's not something I don't want to deal with (namely HGs, rings, or something worse). Otherwise I'll be thinking plugs, coil pack, injectors, fuel filter, etc.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

So the previous owner of my car put a CAI on my 03 WRX. I always planned on reverting it to stock, but never got around to it. I think you can see where this is going.

We had a rare heavily rainy day here and I'm pretty positive I sucked up some water. Had a brief stutter of power loss out of nowhere, then felt fine for a few miles. Then came regular stutters, kind of like the lurching you'll feel if you suddenly jump off the gas in 1st gear. Pulled over, and right as I did so got a CEL. Idle was rough. Plugged in my accessport and found that I had misfire codes on all 4 cylinders. Also it stalled very slowly, as in it didn't just turn off all of a second.

gently caress.

I turned it off and had it towed to a shop. I'm really hoping this isn't catastrophic since it didn't outright blow up on me or cease to function, it just started running like poo poo. I do not want to have to buy a new engine......

From what I understand there are quite a few things that can cause cylinder misfire.. It's totally possible water got up into the coil pack, or maybe into a plug if the boot wasn't secured very well. Either way, good luck!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

The shop ran a diagnostic and said they couldn't seem to find anything and they thought I might've sucked up water, but only a small amount which didn't cause anything catastrophic, though water in oil isn't good.

I guess I'll find out if it still drives like poo poo tomorrow when I pick it up.

Driving a neon beater in the past I was once convinced I sucked up water because of heavy rain only to realize the puddle I hit had just healthily doused the engine bay. Once everything dried off it was back to running like a champ. Well, as much of a champ as a Neon can be.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

zephyrthebreeze posted:

I know this is just anoter 'WRX or STi :can:,' but I'd like a little input.

I've been searching around, wanting to join the Subaru club for a while. Initially was wanting an STi, but didn't have the funds available when I first started shopping to put a decent down payment on an STi. Now that I have some money banked away, every dealership around is telling me "give us a down payment first, and then we might have you one in 6 months." Whereas I could have a WRX (hatch or sedan, there's both on a lot about an hour away) within a few days whenever I can get a chance to ride down there.

I guess the big question is how big of a difference in a weekend driver the STi goodies make up? I never plan on tracking it or taking it to a strip, I'm just wanting a fun weekend car. I'd plan on a few aftermarket mods anyway, fuel pump, injectors, catback, ALK, sway bars, maybe a FMIC, installed and tuned all at once by a local Subaru specialty shop (Boxer4Racing) anyway. Do the STi transmission, diffs, etc make that much of a difference for a car that might get driven 6-8 days a month?

I've owned a WRX and own an 08 STI now... It's honestly a joy every time I drive it. I haven't even really modified it beyond wheels, tires, and an air filter and it's still an absolute hoot.

That said, the mods that you're talking about sound a little serious and if you're looking at a new one they'll probably void warranties (FMIC, injectors, fuel pump) and doing anything remotely risky on an STI can be much more expensive than a WRX. But then, that's obvious.

I don't know... there are people that will rant all day about how good of a deal the WRX is, how it's just as good as the STI, and yadda yadda, but getting everything you get with the STI out of the box is pretty awesome. I think it was worth it for me, but I also got a deal on mine.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Just Another XY posted:

After seeing that lifted Outback...has anybody ever lifted a WRX/STi? I'm just (stupidly) curious, as I like the idea, but will probably be hated for it haha

http://fatlace.com/hellaflush/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/4157123934_e4476cbd0e_b.jpg

If you google "hella unflush" you'll be able to find more info about it (I'd post if buy I'm on my way out the door).

Looks goofy, but hilarious and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

shaitan posted:

I have a feeling this gets asked quite a bit and I google this question myself every now and then and I never find any new info. Has there been any announcements from Subaru since 2008 about bringing it's diesel engines to the US?

Last I heard it was supposed to be coming sometime in 2010 in the Outback. Who knows, though, could be the Legacy or Forester first.

I'm definitely excited about it though.