Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Aforementioned turbo Diamond Gray Metallic with 6-speed, checking in. Nothing but AP with dyno-tune (and a tiny trunk lip and chin spoiler) at the moment. Exhaust or new wheels/tires is up next, haven't decided which.

Winter shoes are on in this pic. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

That's likely what I'll do, as the sound of my STi is now about the only thing I miss, after the tune. Where'd you get yours, and how much did they run you? Also, install them yourself?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

TurboLuvah posted:

I just bought the most stock WRX ever. It's an 2002 Bugeye Wagon, silver, 5MT, bone stock, 65,000 original miles. The guy I'm buying it off of is the 56 year old original owner with all records and maint history :hellyeah:

Sooo, now I need a good up/downpipe for the 2.0, and a Cobb adjustable short shifter.

Anyone want to buy a well maintained 99 Forester??
Jack: Hi, Lloyd! Been away, but now I'm back.
Lloyd: Welcome back, Mr. Torrence. It's good to see you.
Jack: It's good to be back, Lloyd!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

littlehulkster posted:

Exactly what does my OBS need to handle better? I've already planned for springs, new struts, strut towers and a rear sway bar, is there anything else I'd need?

Also, what size of sway bar should I use? I want this car to still be comfortable to drive on the road, so I'm not planning anything too extreme.
Bigger wheels and low profile tires will help, too. I think the OBS's have 15 or 16" wheels, right?

My understanding is that 17" wheels are your best weight/performance trade off. 18" wheels usually weigh more, though they would have less tire roll, and 16" wheels weigh less, but have more sidewall roll.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

littlehulkster posted:

I already have some stock 03 WRX wheels on it, which I managed to pick up for free. I'll look at some new ones though if I don't like how it handles with the suspension bits. I'm trying to keep this as low budget as possible because an OBS really isn't worth putting much into. I was thinking of salvaging the swaybar from a WRX or 2.5RS.

As for the tires, I need to drive this thing in the winter, so I can't go too crazy.

Oh, it's a 99 OBS by the way.
Well, if you're running all-seasons, that's going to be a pretty significant hangup, handling-wise. To make matters worse, the more cold-weather oriented they are, the smaller the treadblocks, and the more flexible the compound, both of which help the tire a little more wooly.

Generally speaking, better tires is one of the first things you can do to increase handling.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

Anyone have an 09 Forester XT? I'm seriously considering one and would like to hear some opinions. Motor Trend liked it apparently and didn't mind the four-speed transmission.
My buddy has an auto non-turbo 09, and he loves it. And I love the huuuuge-rear end sunroof. Having ridden in it several times, it's very smooth, and has plenty of get-up. Subaru definitely do a fine job of giving their non-turbo cars some oomph.

I haven't driven it, so I can't speak to how the transmission feels, per se, but riding in it is plenty fine.

loving deals. Stupid STi's. I love my Legacy dammit, stop making me question my faith!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

CharlesM posted:

The Forester (one 'R') is a different car than the Outback. The Forester is Impreza based and smaller. The Outback is based on a Legacy and larger. The size difference is probably not as great with the '09 Forester. I don't really know about the different trim levels.
I believe that starting in '09, the Forester is based on the Legacy platform, as I think pretty much everything else is as well. I think the old, shorter Impreza platform has been put out to pasture.

The rest out what you said is correct there though, you're looking at two different cars there. The Forester is a smallish SUV, and the Outback is a wagon with a lot of ground height. The Outback is a little more expensive because, for the most part, the interior is 'nicer'. The Outback has the gauges, stereo and HVAC controls from the Legacy, and the Forester shares with the Impreza.

Ultimately this means you have to really work to upgrade the stereo in the Legacy/Outback, as it's all a shared unit with the HVAC, and thusly costs a small fortune to replace.

My fiancée just picks up a 5sp '08 Outback wagon on Friday, and she is thrilled with it.

Edit:

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 30, 2008

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

No go on the STi deal. The reason my friend was able to get such a good price was because they lowballed the gently caress out of him on the trade to make up for it. They started $3k higher than my upper limit and I got them down to $2k higher before I just told them that it sounded like I wanted a much better deal than they could give right now. Also, I would have had to buy new wheels and tires for winter. It was a great car, though. Got to test drive it. The shifter can't even be considered notchy, there are no notches, it's just either in gear or not in gear. The SI drive in I mode is pretty wierd, it feels like it just cuts the car's power in half, but I think all it does is adjust how your throttle input maps to throttle output, or it is at least a big factor. The brakes are also insane.
Did you drive it in S or S#, too? Or since it was unsold did they only allow you I? SI drive makes a huge difference in the performance of the car, as you noted. After my tune especially, S# is almost too sensitive to drive in traffic.

When we were picking up the new Outback, took a quick look at the pair of STi's they have locally and uhh.. yeah, $30k sticker was not to be seen anywhere. In fact, the two they had were closer to $40k than they were to even 35k.

She's got condensation in the lenses of her OB though already, so I think if it's still there in the spring, we'll be pulling her lights and baking them to remove the condensation, then sealing around the edges. The dealership gave us the "they're an open headlight and theres nothing we can do yadda yadda", so I'll resign myself to getting it out later.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

I drove it in I and S. I was just commenting on how weird I(drive) felt. I didn't really get to stretch it's legs as it only had 20 miles on it, and I also wanted to keep a good relationship with the guy, since if the STi deal fell through (and it did) he was still the one selling me my 09.

The sticker price won't change. They are getting dealer cash based on the number of STis they sell. I was going to a low volume dealership, so it looked like they were getting about $2000-$2500 back per STi, since they offered initially $2500 off MSRP. The higher volume dealerships with enough 08 STis to hit the mark will be getting $7000 back per car, so they'll offer lower prices. I know for a fact, you should be able to get an STi with BBS in New England for under $4k. Depending on how much flex there is in your trade, you can probably get it down in the lower $30's (< $32k).

Also, if you know how to properly bake the lights, I might need to hit you up to help me with the lights from my WRX. At some point, I might want to black out the chrome.
Yeah, the dealership in question up here pushes a lot of Outbacks and Foresters, but very few STi's, so they covet them and don't budge much on price. I don't think they're the type to budge much on the price.

I've baked mine a few times, once to black them out, and then once to *ahem* remove some condensation and reseal.. So yeah, if you need help, I'm somewhat familiar. I just posted about it on Nasioc, too. Still have my phone #?

I think the key to not stripping chrome off is to let the lights cool completely before taping them. I think a lot of people are in a hurry, and don't let them cool completely before starting taping them up.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

It's amazing to me the number of people that I know around here who drive Subarus who don't know that you can't just tow it by lifting the front wheels. I was talking with a friend of mine at work with an early 2000's Outback that up and died on her the other day, and I'm almost positive that they towed it via lifting the front wheels. :( If that hosed up her diffs, would the car even be driveable? They wouldn't have towed it more than a mile or so (it was from our work to the closest shop). Would the damage be minimal due to the light distance?

jamal posted:

A co-worker used to work on the ESX drag cars. They ran bone stock used 4eats with a high stall torque converter. At ~950hp they'd go through two or so per season.

And Mr. Powers, get a turboback, intake, and tune ASAP. Here's a car we did recently:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1644734
That's pretty impressive. Makes me wonder how much I could do with an exhaust on my Legacy.

If I've been tuned already, would I need to be retuned if I bought an exhaust? The tune I have is pretty aggressive (thank god for SI-drive, never thought I'd say that), and I just wouldn't want it screwing up anything by running the same tune.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

Anyone on this? I'm thinking about calling the guy to see it tomorrow at lunch and I don't want to waste my time if the automatic in the WRX is a ticking time bomb or something.
I don't think it's a "ticking time bomb" per se, but I'm pretty sure it's the same auto that was in the Forester XT you didn't like.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Did you get those online somewhere? I'll need to replace my winters next year, I think, and those sound like they offer decent grip at a good price. Also provided they're offered in 17" sizes.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

TurboLuvah posted:

I got them off of TireRack, but after looking again it looks like they only have 235/45/17s and they're like $105 a pop.
Yeah, 235's are too wide (or close enough that I'd prefer narrower), price is still solid though.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

It's the STi 6-speed, so it'll run lower RPM at highways too. I'm just below 3k rpm at 80mph, and my fiancee's Outback w/ the 5-speed is at 3500rpm at like 72 or so.

Also, the nav system, and 18" wheels are some of the other additions the Spec B has. Oh, and a moonroof, and the two-tone interior with the leather bits.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

nm posted:

OBs have a different final drive than the LGT
The 05-06 LGts also have a different final drive than the 07+. (The 05-06s are quicker, the 07+s get better economy)
As for the other stuff, that is extra weight. The transmission, suspension, and r diff are the main differences.
Yeah, you're right, all nice amenities are extra weight, and I can't think of a reason anyone would want them.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I would say that you want to be sure you're okay with the stereo in the 05/06 Legacy, as it's not really upgradable (there are options, but there few/far between and expensive). If you've got an ipod/other mp3 player and you're okay listening to it through an FM transmitter, then you're fine.

If not, the '07's came with an Aux-in, which is much better quality, and an mp3 CD changer. The stereo in the 05/06 was the reason I didn't buy one instead of my STi back in 2004.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

nm posted:

True, though there is a cheaper aux-in option in the "jazzy" aux-in mod for the 05-06 radio. However, I do wish i had one.

I've been without my car for a month (I'm out of town). I've driven an RX-8 around the track, I get to drive an Infiniti M35x (whgich is very nice), but drat do I miss my car. These's just something "right" about the Legacy GT.
I thought I remember the Jazzy mod requiring soldering on the mainboard, is that right? I haven't done much research into it due to not really needing it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 07+ stereos are a direct fit into the 05-06 ones? So, in theory, if you were to find one in a junkyard with an intact stereo/hvac system, it'd be a plug-n-play, though the actual Aux jack itself may require some effort.

And I'll agree with the 'something right' about the Legacy, I've been in a bunch of other Subarus (and others, obviously), but my car just fits like a glove. <3

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

When I had my STi, I had a double-DIN setup, got a single-DIN stereo with the cubby underneath and drilled a tiny hole in the back so the aux cord fed through. It wasn't show quality, but the cords were hidden, and my iPod had a place where it didn't slide around.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Anyone else with an '07+ and the Subaru "traction control" feel like it's hinderance? When you're going at slow speeds, and you turn, you tend to understeer, so you gas it to bring the back end around and pull the front in line.. Well the car then realizes your tires are spinning and puts the brakes back on for you :downsgun: effectively helping you continue to understeer. Oops.

Previously, i'd been ambivalent about it, but tonight in this storm I really found it obnoxious. Thankfully I'm just a buttons-click away from turning it off.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I thought some states have (had?) laws about pumping your own gas. Jersey, perhaps?

That being said, if you watched the idiot start filling it with regular, you get out and shut off the pump, don't just sit there and take it, and then deal with 13 gallons of regular.

I'm quite glad we have very few full serve stations here in NH.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

The spool in the '09 is pretty jarring, and you can see it on that chart. The tune didn't really do much to smooth out the wall of torque you hit from 2500-3000. That is what I was hoping to smooth out. That range is right where most driving is (2000-3000) and being right on the slope of that curve makes driving interesting when it comes to passing. Short of a new turbo or slowing down the spool and reducing torque from 3000-4000, I really doubt there's anything that can be done to smooth it.
You just get used to it, ultimately, and learn to drive around it until you need it. If it's too much torque for a given situation (like in traffic) just shift earlier. It certainly took some adjusting when I went from my 170hp Nissan Sentra to my STi, but I managed to do it.

The wall of torque will be even worse when (if) you get a tune. After my LGT was tuned, it made the S# mode almost undrivable in stop and go traffic. The throttle is super-aggressive and will enter "make you look like a clutch nub" mode with no provocation.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

This was my mpg on a recent trip up to Sugarloaf mountain in Maine in my Spec B. This included some driving around the mountain, lots of highway, about an hour in stop and go, and mostly backroads on the way home. I was very impressed. :) It probably would have been around 30 if it weren't for that gridlock. :mad:

Also, after verifying it against my own math (miles per tank/fillup gallons), I found this MPG meter in my Legacy to be quite accurate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Why do I only get 16.5~18.8mpg (7~8km/l)? :argh:
Dunno, I have a pretty even foot, but when I'm riding around town, I get about 19 or so. Recently, during a cold snap, I had a tank that I basically just drove back and forth to work (~5 miles or so), and I finished that with about 16mpg, which was a personal worst.

I have had my car tuned though, so it could have something to do with that, considering how much jamal smoothed out that dyno earlier.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

dayman posted:

Just do the accelerator wood block mod. Very cheap and proven to increase gas mileage, especially on turbo models.

On a serious note, it could be a bad MAF or O2 sensor. I get 24 mpg in my Ver7 swapped GC, and I don't exactly have a light foot. Spec B's are heavier so I dunno. It seems like a tune would actually decrease your mileage over stock if you're on the boost a lot. They're going to mostly add fuel to bring you to a safe AFR, which is healthier for your engine, but not as good for mileage.
Maybe the guy who did it was a genius or something, but I definitely get better mileage after the tune than before, and obviously making more power too. Hard to argue with +35hp, +30tq and somehow better mileage for $800 (including AP cost).

Oh, and my 28mpg wasn't in 'I' either, it was in regular 'S' which is what I use most of the time. *shrug*

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

dayman posted:

There's no real genius to it. What's probably happening is you have more power available because the car isn't pulling timing which kills both power and fuel economy. The increased power means you don't have to depress the accelerator as much or for as long to get the desired acceleration. It also depends on how conservative your tune was. If he tuned it to 12.5: 1 for boost, then your mileage probably isn't going to take much of a hit under boost. This is pretty likely if he's tuning stock. I specifically requested a conservative tune, because when i start adding power on my own, I'll have more of a buffer to play with. My AFR's are around 11-11.5:1.

I had another thought. Gearing probably goes a long way for your fuel economy. I'm running a 4.44 Ver6 tranny, so at highway speeds in 5th i'm spinning at 3500 on the highway. Not the greatest for fuel econ, but fantastic for shiftless passing.
I was being facetious about the genius piece of it, but yeah, I agree on your point about not having to hit the pedal as hard, or for as long. I think my AFR is a little below 12, if I'm reading my dyno sheet right.

Gearing will definitely be a factor, as I've got the STi 6-speed so 75-78 mph is around 2800 rpm.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

jamal posted:

hey that plot sure looks a lot like the ones I've been posting...

keep in mind those afrs are under WOT. Crusing around people usually see no change or an increase in economy.
Yeah, I don't actually think it'd be too awful if it weren't for that little bump from 3400 to 3800 or so :3:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

TurboLuvah posted:

To be honest I kinda really like the black side skirts. I have strange tastes when it comes to cars, I also like the stock bugeye wheels as well, better than most aftermarket wheels.
Ultimately it doesn't matter, because it appears anything you love will be dashed to pieces. :)

:smith:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Decided to get some taillight tint a few weeks ago, and after a runaround actually getting them to deliver it (took over a month), and battling rain and a case of the swine cold, I spent the 45 minutes to put them on today. Before and after; I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

corsa posted:

I was bored and on youtube watching videos of Forester XTs when I happened to find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiNEI5Cv5n8
That looks a lot like the 'Forest Sports' edition we got over here (came in 2.5XT and NA versions). Basically an appearance package (I believe) but it was a drat sharp Forester. STi lip, STi wheels, the Forest HUGE rear end sunroof that's like 2 and a half feet long.

This one was at the dealership where I bought my Legacy and STi.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

My LGT appears to reset the stereo/seatbelt chime on some cold starts. I'm thinking it must be losing connection with the battery briefly (it always starts) but I can tell because the CD player returns to disc 1 track 1, and my 'disable seatbelt chime' thing resets itself to 'obnoxious'. I've checked the battery terminals, and they're fastened securely.

Does this sound like a wiring issue? The only slight rewiring I'd done was to integrate my sub behind the stereo via a wiring harness. While I could see this causing the stereo to reset, this seems like a bigger issue since it seems like a full return to zero for most customizable options.

I had heard the stock batteries in Subies were a little on the weak side, and mines about 3 years old or so now, so I was considering getting a new one. Do you guys think that might help? It doesn't seem like it's a big issue, just more of an annoyance.

edit: alright, thoughts on batteries?

Diehard North Gold - $105 (w/ exchange) - 640 cold cranking amps (cca) from sears
Autocraft Gold - $94 w/ exchange - 640 CCA from Advanced Auto parts
Duralast Gold - $93 w/ exchange - 640 CCA from Autozone
Traveller Advantage - $65 w/ exchange - 630 CCA from Tractor Supply
Traveller Advantage - $80 w/ exchange - 850 CCA from Tractor supply

The latter two, I'm not sure on the physical sizes of them, the other three, I put in my car so they're the right physical dimensions. Am I going to "get what I pay for" when it comes to battery quality? The only reason I'm considering the ones from TSC is that I bought my motorcycle battery from there over this summer, and I cranked on the thing forever at the end of the season, when I was having trouble with it, and it didn't give the slightest indication it was getting tired.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 20, 2009

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

I have a question though - is it normal for the car to crank more before starting the first time after you've had the battery disconnected?
Yep, just happened to me today. I replaced my battery and it cranked for probably 8-10 seconds before firing up.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I'm not sure if newer cars are the same way, but in my old car, the wheel was just a splined shaft, so you get a steering wheel puller tool, straighten the wheels, pop the steering wheel, center it, and reinstall.

My old car didn't have an airbag though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in newer cars (it was an '84).

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Here's the grill I finished making. Total cost was $130 or so. $60 for the grill, $30 for the mesh, and $40 for the STi badge (laugh).

Parts:

Completed:

No pics of it installed yet, because I just finished it tonight. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Since I knew I'd just be cutting the guts out of it, I decided to spend $60 on an off-brand replacement instead of a Subaru 'official' one.

edit: I also didn't want to use my stock one just in case I made a horrible mess of this one.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Got my tax return in today.. in the form of four wheels & tires.

4 Drag DR-33 wheels @ $130 each - 18"x7.5"
4 Falken Azenis RT-615 tires @ $114 each (after $20/tire rebate) - 225/40R18
Free shipping!

Also included free, one attention-whore cat.

And now.. several weeks of them being in storage waiting for spring. :(

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

TeamIce posted:

Just got my full Brembo setup swapped on (Well, actually got it done like 3 weeks ago...but just got the pictures from the shop now.) Picked up the front and rear calipers from a 2006 STi for pretty cheap, and they're in good condition. I'm amazed at how much of a difference in pedal feel those plus a set of DBA Rotors and stainless steel lines has made. In the past, if I had to panic brake, I found the car shook and the steering moved around like crazy..now it's very solid and planted.
The brakes are one of the things I miss the most from my STi. What sort of modifications did you have to make to get them to mount up on your Legacy? Or did they bolt right up? And do you mind telling how much 'getting them for cheap' is? Ideally, I'd love to follow suit and get a set for my Legacy.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Can I get your guys thoughts on something? I put my new summer wheels on this weekend and.. they rub a little? But only under braking and turning to the right (left seems to be okay), and just for a fraction of a second. I can't see any evidence on the tire itself, but I haven't taken the wheel off yet to check.

From what I'd read about a Spec B, I would have thought a 225/40R18 tire on an 18x7.5" +45 offset would have been fine (stock was 215/45R18 on 18x7" wheel, +55 offset), but.. it's definitely rubbing a little. I looked and really couldn't see any evidence on any of the suspension/steering, so my hope is that it's hitting the wheelwell liner or the very end of my fiberglass lip but I don't know, I was pretty bummed out when I heard it.

Given the lack of fitment issues with the tiresize/wheels size on a Spec B, is it most likely something non-critical? Maybe the offset wasn't enough? I followed a very comprehensive wheel offset guide on the legacygt.com forums, and supposedly I could have run a 235/40R18 without any issues.

edit: car is 2007 LGT Spec B, stock everything suspension-wise.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I miss my Legacy, as I got rearended last thursday. Low speed (30mph or so) and thankfully it was a small car, so it only messed up the rear bumper and bent the driver-side exhaust all outta whack. Unfortunately, the call I got said there was *probably* a little frame damage, so they were going to try to get that straightened out.

My rental Chevy Impala is pretty.. bland. It's not bad, better than my prior rental (bottom of the line Buick Lucerne) but I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Had a huge loving go-round with a local dealership trying to get my 07 Spec B inspected last week.

Earlier in May, my wife bought me NH-legal tint. NH legal tint is rear side windows and rear window at 35%. When the installer got started, he verified with me it would be NH-legal.

So, with this assurance, I took my car where I always take it for inspection, the local dealership, with whom I have an established relationship, and they tend to be very trustworthy, and have yet to screw me.

Around 1pm I got a call saying that my car failed for the tint, it was reading 32% in the sides and 30% in the back, which is over the limit. I let them know the installer promised me it would be legal, and they said it was probably reading over because most new cars are tinted 2-3% from the factory. I called the installer and let him know it failed, and cited their reading and logic. He said he'd been through this before, and would call the DOT for me and would call me back tomorrow.

So, the next day (the last day I could legally drive on an uninspected vehicle) he calls and says the 'fight it' route will take longer than I've got. What he said is that the readers they use for tint (even though they're state approved) can read high by 3-5%, so even though my tint was legal AND the tint manufacturers account for the 2-3% on the (so the tint would actually likely be 38%) I had failed. He asked me to bring my car down, and he would redo the tint at 40% at his cost.

So, eventhough I had legal tint, I failed for illegal tint because the readers read high, and the dealership (having more to lose if they get cited for illegally passing vehicles) has no reason to pass it. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Is there a reason I can't seem to find 17" steel wheels for winter? I have a set of wheels for winter currently, but they have a lot of spokes, and thus allow a lot of snow to become caked on the inside of the wheel. Driving on the highway with this is basically like taking a whole bunch of wheel weights and chucking them haphazardly onto the inside of the wheel. While it's not a huge pain to clean them out (I just use a scraper handle), I'd love a better long-term solution, like ordinary, black steel wheels, which don't seem to be available bigger than 16".

Thoughts? It seems really silly not to make them with the prevalence of stock 17"+ wheels on the market these days.