Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002
Here's a pic of my '02 WRX, out at AutoX in August. I've had it since last winter, really enjoying the options out there for modding and making the car into exactly what I wanted.

Around August I also put on an Invidia turbo back (bellmouth DP), catless uppipe, and a Stg2 OTS tune, and what a difference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

Cat Terrist posted:

Apart from the plugs, the WRX is really such a straightforward car to maintain or repair. I haven't really see anything that makes me wonder WTF they were thinking.

I really didn't have any problems changing the plugs on my '02, or my girlfriends '02. Took about 45mins for mine, then under 30 on hers.

$300 for a plug change is ludacris :colbert:

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

Computer Opponent posted:

I've got an 02 wrx that I bought new, and I'm only a few miles shy of 150k. High miles, yeah, but I bought it to drive it, and I plan to drive it until it crumbles into dust.

Anyway, my question is this: Do any of you have any experience with the strong gas smell at very low temperatures? I've read a little about the problem on scoobymods and nasioc. The actual cause escapes me. Anyway, I know there's a technical service bulletin about it, but no actual recall. Which seems odd, considering there's fuel leaking somewhere. I've put up with the smell every winter for the past 6 years, and I've decided to do something about it this year.

What are dealerships like with stuff like this? I believe they should fix the problem free of charge, since it IS an inherent design flaw. But I get the feeling I'm going to have a rough time considering the high mileage. Am I REALLY gonna have to fight for it? Because I don't really feel like doing that.

It's a common problem, and the TSB has a proper replacement part for the fuel rails. The connection from the soft fuel lines to the metal fuel rails leaks, and you get the raw gas smell.

If you have always brought your car to the dealer for servicing, and spent a lot of money there, they might be more willing to help, but I haven't heard of many freebie repairs out of warranty.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

palatka posted:

I test drove a Forester the other day and it seemed a little too sluggish. I like the Forester XT but I can't afford it right now. Can I get a Forester 2.5X and put an aftermarket turbo on it later?

I think the saying goes something like "Turboing a 2.5NA is a lot like buttsex with your GF. They'll take it, but they don't really want to."

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

The Slaughter posted:

Just got this bad boy a few weeks ago. Avic F90BT... Pioneer Premier. It is bitchin'.

My GF and I put one of those bad boys in her WRX a couple months ago. It's a great unit. The new firmware really helped the startup and freezing issues.

Only complaint? The drat GPS nags you like every other kilometer and interrupts your music when you have a route set. Can't turn it off. If you turn down the voice volume, it STILL cuts out your music anyway.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002
I figured someone who reads this thread might like this, but I made a very simple wallpaper out of a picture of my gf's and my WRX from this past weeeknd. I was happy how it turned out.

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

RealKyleH posted:

EDIT2: Ugh the Cobb is $700 :(
A Ver 1 accessport goes for like $300-350 used. They end up in most peoples closets after you flash them, so it doesn't make a big difference Ver1 or Ver2.