Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Modding Question: I know I have asked before but I can't find the thread.

I have an 05 WRX with a Borla hush cat-back and a Cobb accessport. I'm looking for what to do next that is cheap and will offer the most gains. I was thinking I would do up and down pipes (and a remap to stage 2). Is that the best bang for the buck? I'll basically be looking for cheap/used parts. What should I expect for install time(paying someone else to do it)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Another question. I need some budget snow tires for my stock rims for here in MI. What should I get. (05 WRX)

The cheaper and longer life the better, but mild snow performance would be nice.

Thanks

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

Another question. I need some budget snow tires for my stock rims for here in MI. What should I get. (05 WRX)

The cheaper and longer life the better, but mild snow performance would be nice.

Thanks

Any suggestions?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
A few pics of my WRX

Click here for the full 800x451 image.

Click here for the full 800x534 image.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

To be fair, the STi short shift kit is a complete linkage and probably gives a bit better feel as a result. Also, if you replace the whole thing, you can hit all the bushings and replace them with harder ones. I'm not sure how much good a Kartboy short shifter alone would do.

I would suggest getting the harder shifter bushings from Kartboy as well. I have both and installed them (and I suck at cars) easily. I think its just as good as the STI kit (although I've only driven one once) and much cheaper.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Windshield wiper recommendations?

Mine need replacing and I'm trying to decide whether to get more OEM ones or something different. I'm hoping for something that will last a while.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Chunderbuss posted:

Beautiful car. Also, please send me your wheels.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Since I've owned my WRX I've had the itch to put in an aftermarket BOV. Not something too obnoxious but I want to be able to hear it. I'm a sucker for the sound.

I know that the stock one is best but is there a different one I could put on the wouldn't hurt too much?

EDIT: I know this may make me a ricer in some people's minds, but to each his own

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 6, 2009

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

atomicfire posted:

The easiest way to get that sound is just to put on a short ram intake. If you really really must go for a bov, get a 50/50 valve like the GFB Hybrid. 100% VTA valves will make the car run like snot.

With a 50/50 will it run noticeably worse? Alternatively, what short ram intake would you recommend?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

atomicfire and Zsbaug24 posted:

good info

Thanks for the info. I'll probably look into a SAI first then to see if that satisfies my need for that sound. Hopefully I'll be able to find a used one for cheap.

Also, I'm hoping to go to upgrade this spring. STI intercooler, aftermarket down pipe and a stock STI uppipe (I may have gotten those mixed up, I have a buddy local who is going to help who knows his poo poo). I already ahve a CATback.

Doing everything I can to help me like my car and not trade it in for a new one.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
My 05 WRX is about ready for new brake pads. Any suggestions? It's my DD with a bit of spirited driving. No track days or anything. I'm looking for decent performance and longer life mix.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

My 05 WRX is about ready for new brake pads. Any suggestions? It's my DD with a bit of spirited driving. No track days or anything. I'm looking for decent performance and longer life mix.

Any help?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Can I put different springs on my 05 WRX and not upgrade anything else and have it be okay?

I'd love to put some STI Pink springs or equivalent but don't want to spend extra money upgrading other components if I don't absolutely have to.

This will be primarily for looks but I don't want to make the car handle worse.

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 9, 2009

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

Can I put different springs on my 05 WRX and not upgrade anything else and have it be okay?

I'd love to put some STI Pink springs or equivalent but don't want to spend extra money upgrading other components if I don't absolutely have to.

This will be primarily for looks but I don't want to make the car handle worse.

Can anyone tell me if I can just buy springs or if other parts needs to be upgraded as well?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

jamal posted:

I would highly recommend new struts as well.

in order of what you should buy:

-camber bolts for the front and a better alignment
-Whiteline 24mm front and rear swaybars
-Whiteline ALK
-tokico d-spec struts or koni inserts
-racecomp engineering black springs

I'm not concerned much about performance, I don't track the car or anything like that. I just want to make sure I'm not going to hurt other parts.

So I could get away with springs and struts?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

ab0z posted:

Glad it worked out for you. I'm also glad that I have my own hydraulic press. :smug:

(seriously though, if any subaru or Z guys [or gals] live in west MI, hit me up if you need such help. I need to use all these stupid tools I bought)

Where do you live in West MI? I'm in Kalamazoo and have some things that I need help with (05 wrx)

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
So I'm at 55,xxx miles on my 05 wrx and its time for new brakes

I was quoted $350 for Hawk SP pads and new coated rotors (I feel the extra cost for the coated rotors will be worth it as I live in MI and don't want the salt making the rotors gross.

I was also quoted $200 for labor by my local dealer. (other shops had similar prices)

Does this sound like a pretty good deal and setup?

EDIT: this is for front and rear brakes

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 10, 2009

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

So I'm at 55,xxx miles on my 05 wrx and its time for new brakes

I was quoted $350 for Hawk SP pads and new coated rotors (I feel the extra cost for the coated rotors will be worth it as I live in MI and don't want the salt making the rotors gross.

I was also quoted $200 for labor by my local dealer. (other shops had similar prices)

Does this sound like a pretty good deal and setup?

EDIT: this is for front and rear brakes

So I never really got an answer if this is a good deal or not.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Is there any reason to not re-use my OEM rotors as long as they are in good condition and have more than a 1/4 inch of material left?

Or should I just suck it up and spend the additional money for new rotors?

05 WRX with 55,xxx miles and in need of brakes.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
So today in MI, we are having a snowstorm. I want to say thanks to my AWD Subaru and snow tires. On a 5 minute drive home I saw 3 accidents (2 were SUVs), a V6 Mustang that couldn't move forward without sliding out, and a Saab in a telephone pole.

I only slid once, and just a small slide at that.

gently caress yeah Subaru!

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

ab0z posted:

Where in MI?

Kalamazoo

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
I'm running the cheapest snow tire I could find and love them.

Kelly Snow Tracker sold through Sam's Club for like $47 a tire installed. I would recommend them to anyone.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Does anyone have the specs on how thick a rotor needs to be to be reused for an 05 wrx? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I just went to the dealer and the claimed I needed new rotors (at 58xxx miles and my first pad change, rotors have not been turned yet). I had them do the work but I kept my old rotors. If they are within spec, I am going to go complain.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
$175k STI? Sign me up. Cool car but drat that's a lot of money.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/20/prodrive-launches-new-rally-spec-subaru-impreza-n2010/

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Can I put different springs on my 05 WRX but use stock struts and tophats?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

jamal posted:

the stock struts, especially 5 years old, can't deal with much more spring than stock. Prodrive springs are very good and designed to work on stock wrx struts. They're not made anymore but Epic springs are essentially the same thing.

For a much better performance increase new struts and stiffer springs are a much better way to go, but of course it costs more.

Tokico d-specs are the current most highly regarded strut replacements for a wrx. Racecomp engineering black or yellow springs would go well with them.

You should start with better tires and a better alignment. Without that all the suspension parts in the world aren't going to do you a lot of good.

Thanks for the input. In all honesty, I want to change the look of the car more than the performance. I may wait a little then replace springs and struts.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
I'm due for my 60,000 service and its expensive. (05 WRX)

I've been quoted ~$600 from my dealer and ~$400 for a local reputable shop that works on everything.

Is it worth the extra money to have the dealer do it? Any reason why a local "do everything shop" wouldn't be as good?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

I'm due for my 60,000 service and its expensive. (05 WRX)

I've been quoted ~$600 from my dealer and ~$400 for a local reputable shop that works on everything.

Is it worth the extra money to have the dealer do it? Any reason why a local "do everything shop" wouldn't be as good?

Anyone have an opinion? I'm leaning towards the non-dealer to save money but I'd swing the extra if it's worth it.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Nice swap. How much did it set you back?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Thanks. I guess I should read better.

On a different note, my car (05 WRX) is starting to make a noise if I stop hard. It makes the noise right as the car is stopping completely. Dealership had said that my end links were going out a few months ago.

Could this be what is causing the noise? It just started making the noise consistently, can I put off replacing these for a little while?

Also, when I do replace them, I plan to upgrade and probably add sway bars. I was thinking KartBoy for new solid end links front and rear. Any reason not to go with them? Any suggestions for cheap sway bars?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
My endlinks are worn out and i've decided to upgrade.

Here's my thoughts, let me know if I'm doing this wrong.
Kartboy endlinks (and spacers)
WhiteLine front and rear sways (24, 22)

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

jamal posted:

Equal size swaybars front and rear.

Any reason for this? Per the FAQ on nasioc, most people go for a slightly larger front.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also, did your Hush make a big difference?

I'm not much for really loud exhausts but this is perfect. A bit louder than stock (sounds great at WOT), doesn't sound too loud in the car, and sounds great from the outside. Best part is that it's quiet enough to not cause the Police to harass you.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

jamal posted:

As for the swaybars, a subaru or most any other awd car is at a disadvantage from the start. You have all four wheels trying to accelerate the car, and then are asking the fronts to do the steering. Recipe for understeer, so you need to crank up the stiffness in the rear. The dowside is that the car ends up pretty loose on turn in, and if you do something like lift or brake in the miffle of a corner.

Putting a 22mm rear bar on with the stock 20mm front was probably the best change I've ever made. Putting on the 22mm front kept the car flatter but I liked the balance more with just a rear bar.

Thanks for the input. Makes sense.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Had new sways and end links put on the other weekend. (05 WRX) Love how the car handles now! I would definitely recommend the upgrade to anyone.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
I just put some Flapatax flaps on my WRX and love them but they are really wide. I like the look but I can see why a lot of people don't like it. You could cut them down if you wanted. I'll post pics tomorrow.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

Freshly 1/2 debadged trunk and super wide mud flaps that I love.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Blaise posted:

I don't know your situation, but why bother? I just did an OTS tactrix map and it's fantastic and FREE.

Can you link me to more information about this?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
I'm at ~75k miles on my 05 WRX sedan. Hoping to make it a bit more aggressive looking. I'm not necessarily looking for better performance than stock, I just don't want it to get worse.

Can I just put new springs on or do I also have to do struts and or top hats? Any idea how long the stocks should last? I'm hoping to do this cheaply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Thanks for the input. I'll make sure and post before and after pictures. Now I just need the government to send me my tax refund.