Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I apply for a promotion that everyone knows I'm going to get (they're even advertising my job before I've applied for the new one) on Monday, should be in that position by the following week. After 1 month, if the person I replace decides he's happy in his new position I am free to buy a new car, woot!

2008/2009 Subaru Impreza, here I come. I'd go with a WRX but they're $46,000ca after tax and financing, unless I find one with <10,000km for $34,000 or less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

The sport grille is so bland compared to the stock '09 grille.

edit: Not ragging on your purchase, ordered one myself. I just see the sport grille now and it is so plain. In person you see right through it and there is just... nothing.

Toss some red Hella Supertones in there to spice things up.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I pay around $1100/year for insurance now and earlier this year when I got a quote for a WRX it was around $1350, so not too much more. I believe it was only a few dollars more than a normal Impreza, oddly enough. Mind you, I'm in my late 20's.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Rally Armor flaps are the first thing going on my 08 or 09 Impreza when I buy. I'm not even getting a WRX (unless I find a great deal new or slightly used) I just drive in Canada and want the protection. It snowed for the first time today and my Protege 5 on summer tires barely made it up the hill to my street. Half way up I thought I'd have to stop, reverse down and turn and come around the long but less steep way.

I was looking into clear bra treatments too and the dealership mentioned 3M but I've heard reports on NASIOC that it yellows over time.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Next week I get to pay off my used 2002 Protege 5, pay off most or all of my Visa, and am free to hopefully hit up the Subaru dealer near work to talk about a new 2009 Impreza 5 door Sport. So excited. I'll need Rally Armor and winter tires on steel rims though to really enjoy it.

It snowed a bunch last night which was fun, but my hand brake is broken on my car so I can't really have with it. It's also slow to get moving in the snow which kinda sucks.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I saw an STI at a light a few nights ago that took off like a rocket in the snow, and it sounded so awesome. I want a WRX but don't want to pay for it and I'm not a manual fan either so a normal Sport with auto will be fine for me. Yes I know I'm an idiot(not really) for preferring auto.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

The auto is so mindboggling bad and unsuited to the turbo engines that you should just get an Audi A3.

Well, the car I get won't be a turbo, so that's less of an issue :P Surely an 09 Impreza auto tranny is better than the auto in my 2002 Mazda Protege 5.

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 13, 2008

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

littlehulkster posted:

You don't even need snows on a Subaru under most conditions. I run cheap Hankook all seasons in winters that would make most people have an aneurysm and I don't have any problems. It's all a matter of learning how to drive it properly in the winter.

Except for, you know, stopping. Winter tires will always improve things and stopping is usually a lot more important than quickly taking off from a red light mid winter.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I really wish I could buy an Impreza right now. It snowed all day, leaving 5 or 6 inches of fluffy powder everywhere and I imagine it would be lots of fun. Parking brake cable is still broken on my Protege 5 so I haven't been having any fun. I have to be content with letting momentum around slight corners loosen up the back end and let me "drift" through them :P

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

You could try wrapping some wire around both control arms, or use a big c-clamp or something. That way when you hammer on the bolt the other control arm shouldn't be able to move with it and you might be able to knock it loose.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Some insurance companies are just plain retarded. Earlier this decade I switched to the insurance broker my mom uses for her business and was paying around $2200/year for a 1992 plymouth acclaim. About 6 months in they decided to up my rate to $2500 for no reason. I said nuts to that and started looking around for quotes.

First stop? My dads insurance broker, who always told him that I should contact them. They wanted $3000/year.

I ended up going to a small local broker who initially quoted me $1200. When I picked my jaw up off the floor I signed up with them, and 30 days later I got a letter saying my rate had dropped to under $700. What the gently caress? Now I drive an 02 Mazda Protege which is around $1100/year and I've been quoted $1300 for a 2009 Subaru Impreza sport hatch OR a WRX. The difference in price is less than $100.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

It's 2010, my debt is almost entirely paid off, so I decided to get a 2010 Impreza. I'm leaning towards an auto because that's all I've ever owned. I've driven a few manual cars, and machines, but I just prefer auto. The longest part of my daily drive is the Tim Horton's drive through and auto is easier :P

I have a 2009 loaner while they check out my 2002 Protege 5 and I already love it.

I suppose I could at least TRY it in manual before I make my final decision.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

The price of a new Subaru Impreza in Canada is insane to begin with, I'm not willing to buy a Turbo, plus I don't want any of the hassles that come along with it.

I went back to the dealership today and he was having a hard time finding an auto in world rally blue so I told him if he can find a manual, I'll go manual :P He even took me out in a Forester to try my hand at manual which wasn't entirely horrible. I stalled it a couple times but I'll figure it out.

I paid a deposit, signed some papers, and provided the bank doesn't flip out for some reason I should have a 2010 Impreza Sport in world rally blue with dark tint and a set of winter tires and wheels by early February or sooner.

I'm getting paint protection, undercoating, and probably interior stuff too, but I'm not sure about the rust protection. They have the spray (without drilling holes apparently) or some electronic gizmo but I told him I need to research it first (sounds like snake oil :P)

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Oil changes more often, fuel costs more (this car was expensive in Canuckistan), more likely to get speeding tickets. On the other hand the WRX is nicer looking. And while the 170hp and AWD of the sport Impreza already blows the doors off of my Protege 5, it might be nice to have a bit more.

Baby steps. This is my first manual car and I really didn't want to spend any more than this. In 5 or 10 years I'll be ready for my mid-life crisis and then I can buy a hovercar or a mech suit with turbo. Oh god, what if this IS my mid-life crisis. Tech support ages you.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Rally Armor mud flaps ordered for my 2010 Impreza. Got approved for financing last night, now I just wait for an estimated delivery date.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Hey heres an idea posted:

Is there a writeup around for the DIY red tail lights? I'm also interested in doing this.

I imagine this guide is very similar to the 2010, if not identical.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820318

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Finally, after years of wanting one, it's finally mine.

I stopped at a park on the way home from work to take another pic. I need to get all dealer and "the beauty of all-wheel drive" stickers off of this car asap. It's easy in the summertime.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Here's the very important Rally Armor pic.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 14, 2010

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

geegee posted:

Nice car, congratulations. Looks very businesslike with the black steelies(?) No studs?

Not sure what you mean by no studs. Who do you think drives? :P It occurred to me while I was brushing my teeth that you meant studs on the tires. Studded winter tires don't seem to be all that common around here. We usually just have to deal with snow rather than lots of ice.

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 13, 2010

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

The last rumour I heard about 2011 involved a smaller engine and CVT :P

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Last night on the way home from work my 2010 Impreza 2.5i developed a nasty scraping noise from the right-rear while making almost any left hand turns and going over small bumps. I have Rally Armor flaps and I'm used to a bit of scraping on big bumps and fast turns bit this is something different.

I poked around with a flashlight and noticed that the rubber wheel well liner is bulging out in one spot and I'm pretty sure the tire is hitting it. A simple "fix" would be to cut a slice at the peak of the bulge to make it flatten out but since the car is only 2 months old I should probably just let the dealer handle it :P

/edit I looked closer tonight and I actually believe my Rally Armor mud flaps are to blame :P The dealer installed them for me and I guess the hardware that came with mine is different than in the rally armor install video because the inside of both rear flaps sticks out further towards the tire in the wheel well on both sides and the tire rubs right on one screw head on both sides while cornering. Should be easy to modify to fix it. I did just put the summer wheels and tires on the day before too which would explain why I didn't notice it earlier.

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I decided against a 2010 WRX and went with the 2.5i Sport back in February, but now that I've seen the 2011 WRX I sort of wish I had waited. Oh well.