Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Eh..anyway

Picked up an accessport the other day and flashed to stage 1. At the second, I only have a catback exhaust. The improvements were immediately noticeable. Smoother power all the way through. No more putputputvrooom feeling. Now to pick up a downpipe off someone and I'll be set for a while. At least until I can afford a new suspension with tires and all that jazz. 2007 WRX by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Im probably not doing it right, but i just accessport dyno'd my 07 wrx on stage 1 93oct flash, and made 580hp, 600flb torque in 4th gear...hmm

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Ugh..called the dealer about 30K mile maintenance. They wanted close to $500 just for factory recommended items. Called All Aspects, a local Subaru specialty garage and they said $220. Hmm..

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It depends where you get the 3M done; from what I understand from asking locals about it, some places use lower-quality film (one doesn't even bother covering the entire hood, with big "panel gaps" on the corners and front edge). On a white car I wouldn't risk it anyway; I'd guess that all of it yellows out eventually.

Black car? Yeah, I'd probably go for that. Looks a lot better than a fabric bra and the Subaru paint is really thin.

Has anyone with a 2008+ Impreza gone for the short shifter kit? Is it actually worth $475 CAD or could I install a third-party one without busting my warranty later?

HAHga $500 for a short shifter? Go to kartboy.com and look for the shifter there. It takes about 10-15 minutes to install.
1. take off trim around shifter in car
2. unscrew knob
3. unbolt 1 bolt
4. push shifter at odd angle, and it will pop out of the socket
5. wipe grease from one ball to new ball
6. use rubber mallet or taped hammer to 'knock' the new ball into the joint<required a good bit of force
7. replace bolt from earlier
8. replace trim and knob
9. shorter shift! good job!

Its extremely easy. the kartboy stuff goes for around $100. guides can be had online by searching. I also <with help> installed my catback exhaust. Extremely easy to do with a floor jack and some stands. About 1 hour if everything goes well.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
For those thinking of an STI, Subaru is running a deal right now for 2008 STIs.
0% APR for 63 months, and some people are stating they are getting up to $8000 off MSRP. Subaru is giving dealers a huge money back thing to the dealers to move stock. 675 or higher credit rating is what is needed evidently to get the 0%.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Lazor posted:

drat that's a good deal. I'm seriously considering trading in the Saabaru now after hearing that. I might have to go take a test drive this weekend. One of my local dealers has one for about $5,435 off MSRP. Is the $8k off a regional thing or would I just have to work them down that far?
According to NASIOC, this is working throughout the US. So yeah, 27-29K for an sti depending on options/package.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Mr. Powers posted:

I think '05 was when they switched to 5x114, too.

Yeah, which is why everyone with a WRX wants 04 sti bbs goldies.

Over at nasioc, http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646450

Someone is selling a 99RS sti swap. Looks pretty nice and a major sleeper. I'm curious on the trunk though, because someone actually DID put masking tape over the holes and paint it silver. Its posted over there as a joke. I wonder if this guy did it for real.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Mr. Powers posted:

It was originally an STi swap from Rallispec, but it now is some Frankenstein block, which I'm guessing means the original professionally swapped engine is toast, and so it was rebuilt with various parts available. I'd also be wary of the aftermarket ECU.

EH I thought it was entertaining, no way I would buy it. I like my 07 wrx very much:)

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
In response to towing, I cant remember the last time I saw a liftup style tower..usually only flatbeds.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

BannedForLulz posted:

I do have the V2.0 (as best as I can tell), I didnt know that it did real-time maps. I thought that it had to be in test mode with all those connectors hooked up. Hmm.

Well, my plan was to run the 93 octane map until I run into a row of stations without 93 octane, at which point it should take me but 10 minutes to pull out the AP and its needed clips, etc. and upload a 91 octane map right there at the station. Or is this not going to work how I am seeing it working in my head?

Evidently using realtime flash instead of a complete reflash has shittier settings or something, so the rumor on nasioc goes. Just start the AP before you start pumping gas, by the time its done at the pump, you should be done on the AP.

I love that all up and down i95 is 93 octane :D

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Dr JonboyG posted:

Drivers Republic have an article with some crazy firebreathing STI you can buy in the UK that's based of one of the Japanese homologation specials - can you get Type-C's in the US too, or will DOT not let them in?

gently caress you. We dont get fun stuff like that:(

Easier link to demigod sti:
http://litchfieldimports.co.uk/subaru_type20.asp?shopmenu=2

Lando fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 23, 2008

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Cat Terrist posted:

.... And it's finally at it's new home. One 2004 STI with one rally under it's belt to join the other three rally cars, two WRX's and an RX7 that are currently residing at my home.

Dont look like much on the outside.

But where the VR4 is struggling to make third gear, this monster is in fifth and acclerating hard. 2 litre JDM engine (brand new) Group N PWRC motor, all sorts of good diffs (No DCCD, not bothered for now), DMS, all sorts of other Group N goodies....

And doing some testing today, it's just plain gonna kill me unless I adjust my driving to suit. The diff setup is very unlike anything I've tried before. Picked up this plus bumpers, 10 Compomotives + tyres and a STI short block for 30,000 AUD (Just a tick over 20K USD). Not bad for soemthing I dont have to spend another cent on to go rallying and considerably faster than the old car.
drat it, youre an aussie. I saw 2004 sti being used for rally, and was going to see if you were local enough for me to get those gold bbs's for a deal :(

On a lighter note, I installed a set of Hella Supertones in the 07 wrx today :D Pretty happy, and they are pretty loud. Bit of a pain in the rear end to mount in a 07 though. I was trying to follow a bugeye guide, but ugh..grill and radiator mount is different, so couldnt use the convenient to bugeye holes.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Man, I got a pretty good hookup today from a local NASIOCer. I've been looking for a decent used downpipe, 200-300 bucks was my budget. Find a guy on NASIOC who is practically giving away a bunch of stuff, as he is about to deploy and it doesnt fit his STi<parts are from a previous wrx>.

I pick up, for the sweet tune of $300:
random bellmouth catless DP wrapped and sprayed
TurboXs TMIC with the good silicone y coupler
Injen CAI< practically new>
Samco engine hose kit
another random CAI?

Might be planning a small install day for the 31st/1st and have some peeps over to get it installed. I've got an accessport and catback exhaust already. So stage 2 is around the corner :D

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Bampalo posted:

Any recommendations for replacement rotors for a 2005 sti? I've got the high speed braking shudder going on, and since my rotors have been resurfaced once before I'm told its a no-no to do it again.

Evidently this is a pretty popular company on NASIOC. I don;t know from experience though, just word of mouth.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?&ad=direct?osCsid=087a5a320a486ba6da9906e2f7eeb0f2

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

kaws! posted:

Finally picked up my Legacy. I was a bit dissapointed at how slow it is, but its only got a TD05 and rego exhaust, no boost controller. Bought one of these for it, which I think is pretty neatoh;

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-POGYoh6sQ0

Which year legacy, etc?

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

ssjonizuka posted:

Anecdotal evidence I've heard is in line with Jamal - at least within the turbo Subaru community. From what I picked up off the LGT boards, Castrol the semi-syn. blend does pretty well, and that's what I've started using as of the last change or two.

Yeah, I;ve heard plenty of bad stuff about the Mobil 1. I've switched over to Royal Purple, while expensive, I too plan on keeping my car till it falls apart.

This guy I know off Nasioc is parting out his car, and has a lot of goodies for sale that I want..Namely a wingless trunk, 04 tails, 04 bbs goldies, v lmtd lip replica..

I think the only thing im going to get is a set of strut bars..

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

We Eat Pasta posted:

Anyone know what the plan is for 2010 WRX? Subaru has been doing the whole remodel thing every two years, and I'm wondering if that is going to happen again. One thing working against this happening is that the 2008 and 2009 WRX were so different from each other while keeping the same body plan.

I have a feeling that nothing new will come out for a year or three. Aside from maybe a front end job. I think the 2010 STI is going to be a beast. Theres pretty much no reason to get the more expensive sti over a 09 wrx right now. The tranny might be the only real goodie worth the difference.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

DrBouvenstein posted:

Alright, a follow up question:
What are the main differences between an Impreza WRX, RS, STi, and i models?

RS is the older 01 and earlier models..no turbo i believe.
wrx is turbo'd with more hp, a mini sti basically
sti is a 'street legal' rally car in easy terms. 300hp~ awd curb stomper.

edit: I just read your first post. What is your price range. This has a lot to do with it. STi will have more expensive insurance for sure. You should be able to get an 08 sti at a high volume dealer for $27K with zero % financing if you have good credit, 700 or higher supposedly.

Ignore the 08 WRX completly. its pretty much poo poo.
the 09 wrx is a 260hp beast for the price..im curious what the next sti will be powered at.

06-07 wrx's are pretty nice, and 90% of the parts are interchangeable between 04-07 version vehicles, including STi's, except 05+ sti rims wont fit.

most common first upgrades for any of the cars are a turbo back 3 inch exhaust and engine reflash to 'stage 2' through either open source tuning, or an accessport. You can get a ton of lightly used parts off nasioc for cheap.

For under $1000 I'm running a 'stage 2' wrx, which is a 3 inch downpipe, a 3 inch exhaust. I also have an intercooler that is twice the size of the factory version. Before the end of the year<a lot sooner I hope>, I plan on getting a new turbo and a professional tune done at a shop. After that, I'll focus on the suspension to get a tighter ride. That'll probably be the most I do.I don't plan on racing or autocrossing it, so meh. Close to STi performance for a lot cheaper. As long as you dont beat on the transmission doing 5K cluthdumps, itll be fine.

Lando fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 4, 2009

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

nm posted:

Nerds.
I press pedal and car goes!

Incase you guys missed it.

I just had a new downpipe put on yesterday and flashed to stage 2 with the AP..Very Nice :D I'm debating on getting a used sti turbo of sorts, and getting a perrin email map...or just getting a perrin map now. I dont expect to get a turbo for a few months :(

The DP is catless, though I do have a cat in the rest of the exhaust..it sounds pretty hot :) Much louder then before. Can hear turbine spin and wastegate a bit more too.

I think i've gotten to stage 2 for well under $1000, to include the AP. not bad I have to say.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

bull3964 posted:

Those fuckers claim that I need to replace the entire transmission. They said that to even get the center diff off involves dropping the transmission and it's 8 hours book labor.

I'm pretty much livid at this point. I need to find a local shop that will do the work that the car needs, not just shotgun replace.

The best part is, they want to use a salvage transmission with 52k miles on it which only has a 100 day warranty. gently caress that noise, I have no idea what may have been done to that transmission before it became "salvage."

Scour NASIOC for someones tranny that was swapped.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Dude get on nasioc into the MAIC area and ask for a reputable local shop. Theyre prices are usually a lot cheaper too.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

koopatrooper posted:

Quick question, I want to buy my first WRX or Sti (02-04), is it better to

A) buy stock and go to town with the normal grab bag of mods

B) buy an already modded car and have the work and labor off my head, at risk with the guy having hosed up the job

I know this is a very general question, but Im deciding if its even worth my time sitting on the nasoic classifieds and looking for that something special or just hit ebay and find a very well taken care of stock subby and take it from there.

If you are near Northern Virginia/DC area, theres a guy selling an 07 WRX with some great mods done to it, and taken well care of. I know the guy personally. Search for nickguy07 in the MAIC area. He's looking to sell his car still. I know it has a FMIC, vf39 sti turbo, and tune to go with it.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

8ender posted:

I haven't been keeping up much with the 09 WRX. What did they change to make it such a beast compared to the 08? New turbo?

Yeah bigger turbo, and a ton of other upgrades to the suspension and looks dept.

NASIOC has a thread keeping track of peoples engines blowing up though, so still pretty questionable. Of course, these guys could be doing clutch dumps? But cars are failing at 2-5000 miles.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

jamal posted:

this one was done using open source. We'll use that or Cobb mostly.

As for the 09s eating it, the explanation I got was that some of the blocks weren't cleaned out well enough after casting. The dealerships should be checking the oil in all the 09s and if there's crap in there they replace the engine.

Cool. I know SOA has a great rep. for repairing and fixing their mistakes. So its really just a hassle of getting a rental and all that stuff, paperwork, etc.

That said, I've got a 07 wrx, with a catless bellmouth DP, 3 inch all the way, TurboXS gigantic TMIC, and am running stage 2 off the AP. I plan on getting an 07 sti turbo eventually, bigger FP, slappingo on an intake and getting it protuned. Can you give me an estimate on what I'll be making? 93Oct. east coast gas, sea level.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

atomicfire posted:

The intake isn't going to do too much, at most like 12-15hp. If you want one make sure to get a cold air intake, not a short ram, and above all make sure to get tuned. Otherwise, I'd expect you to make between 270-290whp, depending on the dynometer.

Getting your car fixed under warranty usually isn't a problem. Make sure to find a good dealer, and get to know the service manager. I had no issues getting my car serviced, even though it had a melon launcher exhaust and it had be reflashed.

The 08's and 09's had a stop sale order issued for a while because of engine problems. They know its an issue, and if your engine pops under the 6 year 60k warranty, they will replace it given the car isn't obviously abused (read: don't leave drag slips in the car when you take it in) - if you're buying new, make sure to ask if the VIN falls within the stop order. If it does, ask to see the paperwork that shows the service was performed, (basically a hardcore oil change).

The 08+ STi is a great car, I can't wait to get one myself.

Yeah I have the CAI sitting in the garage. I know not to put it on without a tune for it, as it jacks up fuel to air ratio. 270-290 sounds pretty good. as high as i want it to be.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

RealKyleH posted:

It's a little embarrassing but Ive only driven automatic cars and have maybe 10 minutes and 2 miles of time behind a stick car. I'll certainly try to take it easy on it though. I've replaced a transmission before and don't really want to do it again any time soon.

Revision C reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX#Rev._C_.282002.29_2

EDIT: What are the pros and cons of the various tuning options? I recall from the OP that the Accessport has downloadable tunes available which would be awesome as the last Dynotune I got ran me $575 which is more than the exhaust mods and intake mods would cost.

EDIT2: Ugh the Cobb is $700 :(

Its a MAF car why cant it account for these changes?! :(

join NASIOC.com now, and read the newbie faq. Its ridiculously in depth and covers pretty much anything and everything about the cars. The AP is fine for the basic stage 1-2 flash. If you have the money, a pro dyno tune will get you much better results. Cobb has VERY conservative settings, as to not blow your engine up. Perrin maps, which you buy online and they email you, are 'off the shelf' maps and give much larger gains over cobb.

With that said, you can buy every part you would ever need off of NASIOC. They have local area forums set up, with buy/sell subsections. I havent bought anything new. I got my AP for $400?? A version 2. New TMIC, downpipe, 2 CAI, and a brand new samco hose kit, was $300 because some guy was in the navy and about to deploy. He basically unloaded his trunk into my car. $700 exhaust? Nope, Paid $200 because the guy totalled his car.

Try to get a 2004 model year. Parts will be a good bit more compatible if looking for used stuff.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

nwin posted:

Ugh, new day new problem with my '04 Outback.

Check Engine Light came on...went to the car store, used a code reader which gave me the code P0420, which is catalytic efficiency below threshold. The guy tells me to maybe try some fuel cleaner because maybe that's setting it off, so I bought some and threw it in, which did nothing.

Checking out some forums, it looks like the catalytic convertor is probably gone. Luckily, my car is only at 67k, and I've been seeing in a lot of spots that there is a Federal law out there that requires catalytic convertors to be warrantied until 8 years/80,000 miles, so I should be good to go.

Question is: Will this cover labor as well? I'm looking to bring it to a local Subaru dealership. This place has tried to charge me a diagnostic fee before when I told them what the problem probably was. I might bring it to another Subaru dealership even though it's twice as far away. Regardless, do I just call em up, say what code I got, and bring it in for service, asking if they charge labor on catalytic convertor swaps? Could code P0420 mean something else is wrong with the car?

Finally, if they do charge labor, how much do you think they could get me for to put a new cat in?

Well find out which one it is. If they want more then 100-150 dollars, scour nasioc for an oem used one and put the new exhaust on yourself. All you need are some of those drive up wheel ramps, or a jack and jackstands, and a few wrenches. Maybe another set of hands. Exhaust is crazy easy to swap out.

subarugenuineparts.com is also your friend.

edit/ I traded my 07 wrx stockers to someone for some gold 18X8 rota tarmac's yesterday plus a little cash yesterday. I'm pretty happy. Took away the monster truck look a good bit. Gold rims and OBP looks great :D

Lando fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 22, 2009

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
So, You told him twice, he ignored you. You watched him start the regular gas. Then you did nothing and just let it fill up with crapgas?

Congrats.

I'd try to siphon that gas out asap or if you can do it, not go into boost for the next 350 miles.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Yeah its a law in jersey. Actually, thats not a bad idea as a way to get people jobs. I of course, would not tip. Would easily create a ton of jobs, albeit minimum waged. Welfare to work comes to mind.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
To those of you thinking of the Accessport. For gods sake, search NASIOC for one. Chances are, you can pick one up for sale locally for 350-450 bucks. Meet in person, and install it on your car before you leave, to make sure its unmarried and works. Takes all of 5 minutes. The seller should be able to show you how.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
I really want a 2.5rs with a sti swap:( sigh. Someone give me 20,000$

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

So after my drunk friend backed into my car, I will now be needing a new hood. Where can I find a deal on a carbon fiber hood? It seemed that I couldn't order from Seibon directly?

Check ebay. Theres one specific company that is making CF hoods <ugh so tacky> for a pretty good price. They also do a 'you cant destroy it' video that is on their ad. They put some kind of flammable fluid on it, then set it on fire. Smack it with a hammer numerous times, jump up and down on it, and a few other harsh things. Not even a scratch.

Seriously..Carbon FIBER! By the way, I'm pretty sure the ricey CF hoods are heavier then stock hoods.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

LordOfThePants posted:

At the risk of starting a lengthy discussion on oil, when I change the oil this weekend should I go synthetic or regular oil in my Forester XT? I have no idea what's in it now.

I use Royal Purple in my 07 WRX. Give it 4-5000 miles between changes and I'm happy. Really up to you. I'm pretty sure most use synthetic that is a bit more expensive then the cheapest you can find.

AMSOIL!!!!

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
^^ Jamal, which shop do you work at? In the Virginia area by chance?

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Im wanting to drop in a larger turbo. What do you recommend jamal?
2007 WRX, Turboxs giant TMIC, 3 inch catless DP with hi-power 3 inch exhaust, and will add an injen CAI at tune time. Will be getting a custom accessport tune probably at IAG in Nova.

I'm not trying to break the bank on the turbo. Figure, 500-700 bucks, new or used in great condition. I dont 'drive hard' hardly ever. I dont race or do 2fast2furious clutch dumps.

edit: The injectors are supposed to be big enough right? I know I'll need a bigger fuel pump.

Lando fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 4, 2009

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
^^ Look around on NASIOC for sale forums. Theres some good cars for sale. A guy up in NOVA is selling an STI previously owned by Dave Mirra, modded out the rear end, with only 4K miles on it. I believe it was an 06 or 07.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Whats every ones opinions on this turbo for a 2007 WRX?
http://www.blouchturbo.com/turbos/WRX_TD05H-EVO_III_Big_16G-7CM2/

Current mods:
Full 3 inch exhaust, catless downpipe.
TurboXS huge sized TMIC
Cobb OTS stage 2 map.

When I get the turbo, I would get a protune, probably from up in NOVA, IAG or something, and add in an Injen CAI. I dont launch or anything else destructive to the tranny. Most of the time I shift before boost because I have a very short commute, but want to be able to get it when needed. Theres a guy very local to me selling that turbo brand new in the box.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

jamal posted:

The irritating thing is that we built the motor last year, and it came back with a bunch of melted mahles and destroyed cylinder liners. We still have no idea how the owner managed that. At some point it trimmed out a lot of fuel so we're assuming he changed something and caused a leak. And then it detonated a shitload, and he kept driving it.

Haha who cares, he obviously has money to piss away.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I am about to get back from Afghanistan, and I am looking real hard at an 09 WRX, hoping to buy late Sept, early Oct. Two extra things I should add, I have a mostly stock 2004 WRX Wagon (accessport st 1 and new tires) and I am in the process of buying a house. I understand a house can be quit the money pit when you first move in.
I am wondering if trading in my 04 is wise. It was also in a fender bender, but drives fine and is under 40K miles. I dont take it to the track or any of that stuff. Is my timeframe a good time to get a end of the year deal on a 09, or are they all gone by then, and I will have to deal with the new '10s? Any recommendations?

yoyoyo-

Check Nasioc for better info. Ps I lost your phone number, so text me or email me at bigmchuge @gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

slowspeedracer posted:

I went out last night to drive the Impreza and Legacy and yeah, I like the 09 Legacy a lot more than the 2010 that was pictured. I was unfortunately very disappointed in the power of the on both. I am coming from an 03' Sentra Spec V and before I got into the car the sales guy said that if I like the power and handling of my current car, I will not be happy with a non-turbo/sport suspension Subaru. I took the Impreza out and liked the ergonomics but the shifter was really sloppy. I drove another one to see if that was the case with all of them and it was the same. I had my heart on driving a new one home last night but now I will need to justify the extra expense of getting a WRX and a short throw...

To keep in my budget, looks like I am going to have to find an older WRX

You know you can probably get a short shifter and bushings on NASIOC for like...cheap. Its like a 10 minute install you do yourself. Even then, the kartboy shifter and bushing brand new isnt expensive either.