Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
How does everyone administer a seafoaming to their boxer engine? I was going to put it into the brake booster line as I would with other engines but I want to be sure I'm going to get the good stuff into both sides of the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Looks like they've bloated out the Legacy into a full-size car, which I wouldn't have considered it before. Its also powerfully ugly, which is a good and bad thing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I fail to see the good in this.

Its a return to form. Subaru's were starting to look like Toyotas.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Got home two hours ago from over six hours of ridiculous driving through snowstorms here in Ontario. The first three hours on the twisty back roads felt like I was in a never ending rally stage. God I love this car so much in the snow.

:black101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

FlyingPotato posted:

Once again, I've never worked on a Subaru, but your friend is right... that should NOT move. It could be a loose bolt, or the rubber section might be starting to come apart. If it comes all the way off or starts freewheeling, your water pump, alternator, power steering and air conditioning will all stop working at once. You could potentially overheat and destroy your engine.

The Boxer engine runs its water pump from the timing belt so he'd really just lose the accessories. The other neat thing is that the design of the Boxer apparently eliminates the need for a harmonic balancer. The crank pulley on the front of the engine is just that, a crank pulley.

One thing to look out for was that the crank bolt would come loose on the 2.2 engines if not properly torqued allowing the pulley to trash the keyway on the crankshaft. Its easy enough to correct if it hasn't gone on too long.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MMD3 posted:

hey guys, what's up in this ditch? what's that, you both work at Nike too? cool, coworker buddies.

I see those Federal Super Steel 535 tires I recommended you replace really saved your butt there :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Disciple of Pain posted:

Sounds like the 00-03 2.5s have HGs that fail externally (whereas the DOHC motors fail internally and cause a lot of problems). There was a conditioner that could have been added by the dealer and if so, the HG warranty is bumped up to 8years, meaning it would still be under warranty.

Definitely something to check into about the conditioner, but external coolant leaking is not *that* bad (still do not want it though). I guess the OE coolant is really important, as is adding the conditioner (leaking or not).

I have 02' Impreza with the externally leaking gaskets. It had the conditioner done a long time ago and since then the previous owner had never changed the coolant. Unfortunately Subaru of Canada wont honor the 100,000 mile warranty offered in the states.

The good thing is that its a really small leak, and it seems to have pretty much disappeared once I changed the coolant and put the conditioner in. I'm anticipating that I'll have to do the gaskets eventually but since its an external leak its not a show stopping engine killer unless you let the fluids get low.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'd be leaning toward a wheel bearing. Does the noise change in volume if you turn the wheel hard left or right at speed?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

bull3964 posted:

How much does a dealer charge to do a wheel bearing job?

I had our local tire shop throw a bearing in for me for around $200. It job itself requires a hydraulic press and an alignment afterwards which is why its best to leave it to a shop unless you're well equipped.

However if the noise isn't changing appreciatively when turning the car I'd hesitate to just go out and start banging in bearings.

What I found out when I had the local shop do the bearing is that some shops have wireless vibration/noise sensors now that they can stick on the car when they take it out for a test drive. They used one on mine to verify it was the right front before they did the work. Its pretty neat.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Disciple of Pain posted:

Thats what I would think. Front and rear seal, timing belt, head gaskets seem like they'd all be much easier with the motor sitting on a stand.

Timing belt is easy as pie with the engine in the car. In fact the boxer is probably the only engine I've even felt it worth my time to do the timing belt on. All the other cars I've owned had the timing belt in an insane location.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone who looked at the photos of my wreck explain fundamentally if it could have been caused in part due to my inexperience in handling AWD cars in slick conditions.

Tires tires tires. Not every all-season tire is created equal. Hell some aren't even that good in the dry. I put my car in the ditch with crappy tires just like yours. In hindsight I should have known better because they had taken on the consistency of hockey pucks in the cold weather.

As for AWD, a little gas can't hurt, and its the only way you're going to take advantage of all four wheels getting torque. My driving style in the snow now involves a little more throttle since I've started driving my Subaru this year. Practice giving it some beans around a tight corner to oversteer the car in the right direction. Its fun and useful.

jamal posted:

The older 4eats had a set of transfer clutches that would lock up dependent of throttle position, gear selection, wheel speed, and a few other variables. So cruising around it would be 90% front drive, but could transfer some power rearward.

I may be wrong on this, but as far as I can tell from the Subaru documents the 4EAT will start or switch to a 20-80 rear bias if you punch it, settle in to a 90 - 10 front bias when you're cruising, and lock it around 50 - 50 if you're spinning the fronts and back. What it does the rest of the time I'm not sure but it does take a little getting used to your car going from RWD to FWD to AWD in slippery conditions. It also apparently locks 50-50 in the Reverse, 2nd and 1st gear selector.

Its also tons of fun to do donuts and feel the 4EAT having a poo poo fit trying to compensate :v:

8ender fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 3, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

So that stupid little plastic idler pulley that the AC compressor belt runs over decided that -10F mornings weren't its style and committed bearing suicide today. Funny thing is that it must have been bad for a while and the whine I had attributed to a crappy alternator is gone. The car sounds wonderful now. I guess I had gotten used to the whine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I've been having a problem when filling up since fall and its starting to bother me enough to try to do something about it. When I try to put gas in I can only pump gas in for about 15 seconds before the pump clicks off and I have to start again.

I suspect something is not venting correctly, as I can hear the gas rushing up the tube before it clicks. The evap system diagrams I'm finding aren't helping much. Anyone have any ideas where to start fixing this problem?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

TurboLuvah posted:

New 04 WRX seats....+50whp :c00lbert:

How much did those set you back? I'd like to get something like that for my 02' wagon.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jamal posted:

we had some pretty good results with an 09 wrx on the dyno today. It's not the first one we've tuned, but I was pretty impressed with what it made.

I haven't been keeping up much with the 09 WRX. What did they change to make it such a beast compared to the 08? New turbo?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

How hard is doing a half shaft on an 02 Impreza?

I've noticed some clunking on right turns when the car is cold in the morning and recently when I was rotating my tires I found quite a bit of play in the axle. The axle nut was tightened to take up the slack but I suspect the CV joint is going because the clunking on turns is still there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

2.5's are brutally reliable as well. Anecdotal, but a friend of mine owned a 2000 RS and beat the poo poo out of it. Brakes down to the backing plates, check engine light on since he bought it, no fluid or spark plug changes whatsoever. He drove like this for two years before I finally helped him tune it up because it was running "a little rough". New fluids, plugs and filters and it was running like a million bucks again.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

TurboLuvah posted:

Awesome, thanks for that information. Also, there seems to be a rubber seal missing under the headlight, as there is a large gap under it.

I'm fairly certain my bugeye headlights have that gap as well. I'll look at them today before I head out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I went into Napa today to pick up an oil filter and the clerk handed me this tiny little filter. Knowing that my current filter is a good deal bigger I asked him to recheck and sure enough, the Wix filter for a 2.5L NA is the dinky one (Model 1365) he handed me.

Curiously if you go back to 1999 the filter changes to a much larger one (Model 1334) which looks like the one I'm used to buying. Looking around on the internet it seems that others have noticed the change to the smaller filter but no one knows which is best. Heres a shot of the two filters:

Now I'm not terribly concerned that my engine will instantly explode if I use the smaller one, but the irrational (bigger = better) part of my brain is screaming at me to use the big one. I mean my goddamn motorcycle filter is larger than that thing. Any opinions here?

Oddly enough the smaller one is the same filter Wix recommends for the 4EAT transmission. I'm planning on doing a drain and fill on the transmission as well so maybe I'll just use the little guy on that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

si posted:

You'll want to double check this, but I believe Subaru recommends not changing the ATF filter unless it becomes physically damaged. It's considered a "lifetime part". There was just recently a thread over at LegacyGT.com from a guy who changed his (at like 20k miles) and couldn't make it stop leaking, had to have it towed to the dealership and fixed by them.

Yeah Subaru considers it a lifetime part but the idea of "lifetime" parts never sits well with me. My Subaru has 110k on it now and that filter has to have some crap lodged in it by now. I don't know how the guy from the LegacyGT forum could screw up a simple spin on filter.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

si posted:

I would tend to agree, but he wasn't alone. There were a few replies in the line of "yeah, did that too". Maybe just something as simple as a specific torque spec for the thing? Just know I've heard people warning against trying to change it before that even. I'm sure you'll have no trouble, just one of those things worth knowing I guess.

Just an update: I drained and filled the transmission fluid and changed the filter. No leaks yet. I think people ran into trouble because you really need to torque that filter. The existing one was screwed on by Japanese Jesus and I had to use a strap wrench to get it off.

I used the strap wrench to torque the new one on just as hard and so far it looks like no leaks. Car shifts awesome now. The shifts were sort of slow and sloppy before and now they're quick and positive. I also had a problem where it would take a while to engage into drive from reverse that seems to have cleared up.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

bung posted:

And it looks like a Camry. :barf:

I wonder if it'll suffer from the same aerodynamics of the Camry. Last time I drove one of those it felt like driving a box truck on the highway. Cross winds just slam right into those big lumpy sides.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I've owned a P5 and currently own a Subaru but that Lancer sportback is just gorgeous. The lack of AWD would make me pause though. I've gotten so used to driving in the snow with AWD that I'd really miss it.

You're going to be hard pressed however to find a better handling economy car than that Protege5. In fact I would wager you'll find that the Impreza and Lancer don't out handle the P5 until you get into the higher trim levels. The P5 was blessed with some sort of magic that made it handle far better than a FWD car should.

So really the only answer to your dilemma is to keep the P5 because its awesome and save your money so you can take out a second loan on a Lancer Sportback Ralliart because it has the AWD and better suspension. Unless the P5 is an automatic in which case pay someone to set it on fire and collect the insurance because if you keep it the automatic in that car will set fire to your wallet.

8ender fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 7, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I'd recommend using the OEM coolant. I don't think it's a problem on those motors but earlier ones had headgasket problems.

No, its a problem with his motor. Its usually an external leak though. My 2002 2.5 NA is getting old and sometimes leaks a little on my driveway.

OP you can use OEM or Peak Global coolant only. Don't use anything else.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Ah, I didn't know the turbo motors had that problem too. I have a Phase 2 engine in the Forester with a minor external leak myself.

Never mind what I said. I totally glossed over your mention of turbo and saw only a 2002 model year. No the turbos weren't affected.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ab0z posted:

how exactly did you manage that? Which vehicle is this?

Looks like the two pot brakes on my MY2002 NA Impreza. Thats some impressive damage.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ab0z posted:

They're twin piston, but with both pistons on one side?

Thats how my fronts are setup. Then again Subaru is crazy about part sharing so it really could be almost any model.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

drat, installing a car stereo in an bugeye Impreza is stupid easy. I wish I had done this months ago. Took me a half hour including soldering the wiring harness. I got tired of that stock Clarion unit displaying ERR6 and generally being a piece of poo poo. The new stereo is so much better even with the existing speakers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BannedForLulz posted:

Would you be so kind as to link to the dash kit and/or wiring harness that you purchased? Thanks!

I bought a version of this harness:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120708901/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?search=subaru+harness

It was a great harness. All the colors matched up perfectly with the Pioneer harness. Just solder and pop it in. I had the single DIN unit in my Impreza so I was able to reuse everything. Actually installing the radio was just undoing a few screws and sliding in the new unit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Wagon superiority :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

upsciLLion posted:

That's what happens when you go to Costco.

Hey when the apocalypse comes I'll be sitting pretty in my basement with 2lbs of twizzlers and 4L of bean salad.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

Anyone seen one of these:

I got it from a turbo RX Coupe AWD with a high-low range 5 speed and that diff lock. What a crazy trans that must be.

Someone has developed something like that to trick the 4EAT into locking 50-50 or close to it. Its a crazy idea and I'm pretty sure its not great for the transmission.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Honestly though so far I have been impressed with all the new items I've gotten though. With one exception my Chinese suppliers give far better and faster customer service than my American ones, the only exception being Mac Valves. Mac valves are awesome.

One thing I've learned about Chinese manufacturers is that they will supply you with any equipment you want and the only big factor they're concerned with is how much you're willing to pay.

You want some headers? Sure we'll build you some headers for $100, $300 or $500. They're all identical in design and the only difference is quality.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Dreadite posted:

Guys, what is the opinion on higher mileage subarus?

Andecdotal, but I have a 2002 Impreza with around 115k on it. It sounds like a tractor and the suspension is all worn out but its been amazingly trouble free. I kind of feel bad because all I've done is change the oil and abuse the hell out of it and it just happily takes it. I'd say it has aged gracefully, but its definitely ready for an overhaul in some areas.

Issues so far:

- Headgaskets dribble a little coolant externally once in a while
- The dash clock went out and I had to re-solder it
- An air conditioner belt pulley killed itself
- Timing belt and water pump was changed (I did this myself in two hours and I work like James May)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'm in the market for some cheap struts. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just an OEM equivalent. Its for a 02' Impreza Wagon 2.5TS. I'm willing to buy some low miles used struts if anyone here is from Ontario and has some lying around.

On that note: Are the low end KYB struts any good? This is a daily driver but it sees a lot of snow and gravel due to me living in a small town.

8ender fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 21, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Don't let those pictures fool you. The 2010 Legacy is just puffed up because its angry. They do that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

bung posted:

So, after getting my car back with a new engine, I am very sensitive to all of the sounds it makes. I've put about 300 miles on the new engine and now I'm noticing a ticking noise that changes with engine speed. I don't remember hearing that before but I think it is valvetrain noise that
I never noticed.

I wouldn't worry unless it gets louder. Boxer engine make all sorts of crazy noises. With 115k my Impreza sounds like a tractor or a bag of clocks depending on the rpm.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

My 02 Impreza has had an issue for a while thats been bothering me. Its an automatic and the engine seems to fall flat on its face when it hits second gear. First is quick, third is fine but second is trouble. The transmission shifts crispy and quickly, it just seems like the ECU really drops the ball going into second sometimes.

Any ideas what this might be? I'm leaning towards a sensor but I'm not sure where to start. Its got newer plugs and a decently clean air filter. The only unknowns in terms of age are the fuel filter and the sensors.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slowspeedracer posted:

Is there any differences between the 04-07 model years that I should look for or avoid? Probably going with the wagon but other than that I am open.

Not really significants ones if I remember correctly. Subaru doesn't change anything ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Can anyone reccomend some rear diff bushings that aren't hockey pucks? My impreza has the clunk, and I'd like to silence it, but it's a daily driver so I don't want to listen to my diff whirring along every day on my commute.