Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

nm posted:

On an 05, it's even worse. First time you have to remove the glovebox. You guys get a door that should make it easy. DIY.

Oh God, does that ever suck to do. They installed the door halfway through MY05 if I remember correctly, it's super easy. Do it yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Here's one for The Slaughter and/or anyone else who works at a Subaru dealership. I managed to run over something this week that tore my CV boot and screwed up the splash guard under the car. The tech gave me part number 56410AG06B to replace it, but all I've found when trying to buy the part online is 56410AG06E. Anyone know if it's the same part? I'd hate to get under there and find that the holes don't line up.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

nm posted:

I don't know the answer, but it would help with some vehcile details.
It's a 2005 LGT, but that doesn't really matter. From what I can tell, the difference in the two part numbers is only because they give it a new letter every year a new parts catalog comes out, but the actual part remains the same. I wanted to know if that's actually the case, or if I've got to find a "B" instead of an "E."

nm posted:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/index.jsp?from=topNav

I'd note that my UOAs on my LGT are indicating that Subaru's 7500mi oil recommendation is optimistic even with higher-end synth (though this involves track days, auto-x and general jackassery)

There's no question the oil can definitely go longer than that. The problem is that when owners come in for blown turbos from the banjo bolt screen getting clogged, people have been reporting that they're getting denied warranty coverage if they're not following that 3,750 mile TSB.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 14, 2008

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

I'm in FL, and every station down here has 93. Might be harder to find on the way down here, though.

From Autoblog:

Autoblog posted:

Even more bad news (motor)sports fans. According to a report by Finnish sports site MT3.fi, Subaru will follow in the footsteps of Suzuki and pull out of the 2009 World Rally Championship (WRC) season. While Suzuki's declaration was a surprise, Subaru's exit from the world of rallying would be a serious blow to the sport as a whole and its fans in particular. A formal announcement will supposedly follow tomorrow, but we're keeping our fingers crossed that the Finns got this one wrong. Thanks to Eralp for the tip!

drat. Hell of a thing if that's true. Wonder how much it has to do with the announced switch to S2000-spec cars in a couple of years.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

And it's official. Subaru is out of WRC.

Press Release posted:

Tokyo, December 16, 2008 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced the withdrawal from the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) at the end of the 2008 season.

FHI has participated in the WRC together with Prodrive, a motorsports and automotive engineering group in the UK, over the past 19 years to pursue its goal and philosophy in motor sports activities to enhance Subaru brand awareness by showing that Subaru vehicles offer safe, comfortable and pleasurable driving no matter the weather or road conditions, featuring Horizontally-Opposed engine and the Symmetrical All-Wheel drive system as its core technologies, and to transfer results of race-tested technical improvements into Subaru passenger vehicles.

Subaru has won three manufacturer's championship titles and three driver's championship titles in its history of rally racing. This has helped enhance the value of the Subaru brand as well as the sales expansion of Subaru vehicles all over the world.

FHI considers it has achieved its original target in WRC participation. However, while considering positioning the WRC activity in Subaru branding strategy towards the future, our business environment has been dramatically changed due to the quick deterioration of the global economy. In order to optimize the management resources and to strengthen further the Subaru brand, FHI decided to withdraw from WRC activities at the earliest timing.

As regards future involvement in rally activities, FHI will continue to support teams and drivers that participate in P-WRC or the Group N category.

President Mori commented that reaching this decision has been an extremely difficult task, not least with regards to the countless Subaru fans that for many years have cheered the legendary Subaru blue liveried Impreza World Rally Car; "We would like to express our sincere appreciation for our fans' strong and loyal support worldwide. They will remain an invaluable treasure for us."

Capitalizing on the priceless experience gained throughout the history in the WRC field, FHI will continue to offer Subaru customers products that integrate sheer excitement, safe, comfortable and reliable driving, respect of the global environment and peace of mind based on its philosophy of "Customer comes first."

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Backno posted:

question about tires for my 2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon:

Are the RE960AS worth the extra 30 bucks a tire over the BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S. I live in Indiana and have had no trouble getting around on the poo poo tires I have right now, but I am due for new ones.

Yes. $120 isn't that much over the life of the tires, and the RE960AS will last a long, long time. I love mine, and I'm pretty sure everyone else in here who's got them loves theirs too.

Accessport ordered yesterday. :)

New CV boot put in yesterday :(

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

DONT DO IT posted:

Looking into it more the spec.B doesn't seem worth it.. From what I've seen, the cost is much greater for a suspension that I'll end up replacing anyway, and an extra gear that seems to be more fuel efficient. Overall, "meh."

Any big issues I should look at before I purchase one? For my S4 it's the turbos and control arms.. Anything like that for the '05/06 LGT? Also, what's the cost of maintenance like on Subarus? I've found an '06 that is looking pretty tempting.

I don't think the Spec.B is worth it either, to be honest; the Bilsteins are much better than the stock LGT suspension, but if you plan on replacing it, that's pointless. I get 20 city/25 highway with my 5-speed '05, and that's good enough for me. I've never understood people spending more for an only slightly more fuel-efficient car anyway. Plus, the factory nav isn't exactly top notch.

Maintenance stuff:
This isn't that common, but the '05s, and some '06s, have had an issue with bad injectors causing misfires. My car had two replaced, and many other owners have had the same experience. The dealer didn't charge me anything for it, and said they wouldn't have even if it was out of warranty.

There's also a TSB out in which Subaru changes the oil change interval to half of what it was previously, due to some people not changing the oil frequently enough, causing a mesh screen in the turbo oil line to clog, which starves the turbo of oil and ultimately grenades the turbo. There's a thread on LegacyGT.com full of owners who have had this problem. Make sure there are oil change records on the car.

The only other common one I can think of is a TSB-covered wheel bearing issue that you'll know immediately if the car has. If there's a squeal at low speeds from one of the wheels, it's a bad wheel bearing, and the dealer will replace it under the TSB.

Finally, unless you plan on getting an AccessPORT - which is a great idea - make sure the ECU is flashed to the latest ROM. Many LGTs have issues with a hesitation on acceleration; the car "stutters" between around 2500-3500 RPM. There's been a reflash to fix it, but it's not perfect. It's not at all harmful, just annoying.

Overall, it's been a very reliable car. I've put almost 30k on mine, and have had no problems that weren't either specifically covered by TSBs, the idiot PO putting on a terrible quality up-pipe or due to my somehow tearing a CV boot. The only thing I've had replaced under warranty was a foglight assembly that had somehow become a fish tank. I love the car, and I plan to keep it as long as I possibly can. The stock turbo - as long as you change your oil - is very long-lived, and so are the rest of the internals. The EJ255 is an old, tested design. The transmission is very stout and can handle a decent upgrade in horsepower and torque.

Let's see... the cost of maintenance isn't bad. It's certainly less than a BMW or Audi, probably a little more than a Honda. Parts aren't very expensive, and there are several great parts outlets online. Some things are inexplicably pains in the rear end (sparkplugs, changing the cabin air filter on an '05), but most maintenance is pretty straightforward.

In other words, buy it.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 7, 2009

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

I thought I remember the Jazzy mod requiring soldering on the mainboard, is that right? I haven't done much research into it due to not really needing it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 07+ stereos are a direct fit into the 05-06 ones? So, in theory, if you were to find one in a junkyard with an intact stereo/hvac system, it'd be a plug-n-play, though the actual Aux jack itself may require some effort.

And I'll agree with the 'something right' about the Legacy, I've been in a bunch of other Subarus (and others, obviously), but my car just fits like a glove. <3

The jazzy board requires no soldering, but it does require the use of a silent CD, which has to be kind of annoying. I've been thinking about doing it anyway, though. The '07 head unit has an AUX input and fits into the '05 and '06 LGTs, but the '08 is different.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

...And here's the new Legacy Concept. Subaru tends to make their concepts very, very close to the production model - look at the Exiga, for instance - so expect most of this, including that disgusting chrome strip on the back, to make it to production. Dimensions are at least three inches bigger than the current model in all aspects.

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Waffleimages isn't accepting uploads at the moment, so you can find more shots of it - studio and live - here.

I don't know what I think of it yet. I'll wait for the production version to be sure, but I'm not seeing anything terribly new or interesting here. The wheel arches are very TL, and the side profile screams Altima. Not that the BL/BP - which I own and love - is a particularly groundbreaking design either, though.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

8ender posted:

Its a return to form. Subaru's were starting to look like Toyotas.

You don't think that, apart from the front, the concept looks like a mashup of design elements from other cars in the same segment? There's ugly and there's Subaru ugly. The Brat is Subaru ugly. The XT is Subaru ugly. The bugeye and airplane-snoot Imprezas, to a lesser degree, are Subaru ugly. They're unique. There's nothing that unique about this car except the front, which will undoubtedly be toned down for production. What we'll be left with is a generic midsize sedan that's much bigger, less cohesive looking and probably heavier than its much better looking generic midsize sedan predecessor. With a ghastly chrome strip.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

MMD3 posted:

...So I took my 9-2x aero into the dealer in early December with this clicking/slipping in reverse issue. I think I posted about it back then. They looked at it and said they need to either take the transmission apart to figure out what parts they'll need or just order an all new transmission. I guess after waiting on a response from Saab for about a week they finally got the ok to order a brand new transmission and replace the whole thing.

A month later (last Thursday) I get a call that the parts have all finally arrived so I dropped my car off at the dealer Sunday night so they could start on it first thing Monday and hopefully have it done by the end of the day. Near the end of the work day on Monday I get a call that it's taking longer than they expected so they'll hopefully have it done by noon today. I guess this is the first time they've had to replace an MT on one of these (go figure, it's only 3.5 years old). I just got a call an hour ago that apparently they need a few pins and a nut that they didn't order so now they have to overnight those. Uhhh, why didn't you realize this on Monday?

sigh... at least I'm getting a free transmission out of all of this but man it's taking forever to get it sorted out and it was not at all fun to have a half functioning reverse in all of the snow we got.
Stinks that you can't just take it to a Subaru dealership. Hope you get it back soon. There should be allowances in the warranty for taking it to Subaru shops for major repairs. Probably less likely you'd have to take it back for more repairs that way.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Bob Sapp Please posted:

As a fellow Floridian I know how you feel. We need to form a support group for Subaru owners that live in Florida :(.

"Wait ... that thing's got four-wheel drive? Can you take it mudding?"

"Is that a Camry?"

"Is that an Altima?"

"I thought those cars were Australian."

"But it doesn't snow down here."

"Why's the radiator on top of the engine?" :smith:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

dreggory posted:

I need to pick up some new tires for an '02 wrx. I've been running on the same tires that were on the car when I bought it almost a year ago, and I haven't really ever had to deal with picking out new tires before so maybe you guys could throw some suggestions my way.

It has Yokohama ES100 235/45/zr17 97w tires on aftermarket 17" rims right now. I don't really have anything bad to say about these, but I don't have anything to compare them to so maybe I'm missing out?

I live in central texas so I don't exactly see a lot of snow, and I don't track the car or anything like that (for now). I'd rather not spend a ton on tires (college student, etc.) but I'd like to get something that won't be just awful and make me regret spending money on them at all.

What's your budget?

What are your priorities with tires: tread life? wet weather handling? noise? grip?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I'm getting only 8.2 :tipshat: km/L

By the way, could anyone confirm my suspicions or is this thread only for cool people with WRXs and STis?

Seeing as how about eighty of us have Legacy GTs and have talked about them in here, yes, yes it is.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

You can occasionally find spectacular sales on Accessports, but Cobb is pretty strict about controlling vendors' allowed prices. I managed to find a great deal on one in December, ended up paying $575 with free next-day shipping. People sell them used all the time on NASIOC and LGT.com, though.

Good luck finding a WRX around Central Florida, though, especially a wagon. I was originally looking for a WRX wagon before I fell in love with the LGT, and when I brought it up to the salesmen at Palm Subaru here in Gainesville, I basically got laughed at. They're few and far between down here, especially in good/stock condition.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Backno posted:

I just got a set right before the end of winter here (Indiana) and I LOVE these things. They made my '04 NA wagon drive 100 times better then the stock tires I had.

I replaced my RE92s with a set of RE960ASes last year, and they're amazing. Completely worth it. The only thing to take notice of is that they don't have a little lip like the stock RE92s, so there's a little more chance of damage if you brush a curb at low speeds. Doesn't really matter, though.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Wrar posted:

I need new tires, too. The RE960AS might fit my needs, but my car never sees winter or temps below 40. It does see a poo poo-ton of rain.. I drive aggressively when I can. I'd like to get 20 to 25k miles out of the tires.

I'm in the same climate, and I chose the RE960AS over a summer for the tread life.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

bull3964 posted:

There is no other choice for an all season tire than the Bridgestone Potenza RE960as. Nothing else compares for the price.

Second. I've got them on my Legacy GT, and they're top notch. No all-seasons come close for the price.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

slowspeedracer posted:

I went out last night to drive the Impreza and Legacy and yeah, I like the 09 Legacy a lot more than the 2010 that was pictured. I was unfortunately very disappointed in the power of the on both. I am coming from an 03' Sentra Spec V and before I got into the car the sales guy said that if I like the power and handling of my current car, I will not be happy with a non-turbo/sport suspension Subaru. I took the Impreza out and liked the ergonomics but the shifter was really sloppy. I drove another one to see if that was the case with all of them and it was the same. I had my heart on driving a new one home last night but now I will need to justify the extra expense of getting a WRX and a short throw...

To keep in my budget, looks like I am going to have to find an older WRX

What's your budget? If you were shopping for new NA Subarus, you can definitely afford a very late model Legacy GT/WRX.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

nm posted:

So I'm currently in Sydney.
I really, really want the ROW legacy bumpers, and i don't believe in cosmetic mods.

The front won't fit on the stock USDM architecture; you've got to get a new bumper beam. The rear requires you to either take out the rear bumper beam or reshape it.

They do look mighty fine, though. :cool:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

slidebite posted:

I use Walmart full synthetic 5W30 too, but in Canada their filters are made by Fram and I have heard absolutely nothing positive about them other than being cheap. So, I either get that OEM or go Wix at the parts store.

The newer, blue OEM Subaru filters are made by Honeywell (Fram) anyway, so you're not saving anything by going that way. They discontinued the black (made in HONORABLE YAMATO by Tokyo Roki) filters last year. I've been using the blue ones since I went through the two black ones I had lying around. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with the new ones yet.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Overpriced Balloons posted:

I was actually just going to put the snows on my current (stock) rims and get some of the gold WRX/STi wheels since I think they look great on the LGT. And I can still do the same thing if I don't get snow tires. I could run the all-seasons from October-April and the summers from May-September or something. I'm just trying to figure out if snow tires will improve my winter driving enough to justify the extra cost compared to some all-seasons with good snow ratings.

[The 'Emotion' Legacy, for reference]

That car looks great, but those are OZ Superleggeras, not STi wheels.

Not snow tire related, but I live in Florida so I've got nothing to contribute to that discussion anyway: Anyone here tried the new Rotella T6 in a turbo Subaru motor yet? I've been looking to save a little money over the Mobil 1 (DEAR GOD) I'm running right now and from what I can gather online, the UOAs for the old formulation of Rotella look as good or better than the Mobil 1, and Shell claims the new one has more wear protection.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 10, 2009

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

That's an opinion. I've had the Cobb OTS stage 1 in my '09 STi for 5 months and I think it's great. I'm still not bored with it and while I am going to get a downpipe and flash to stage 2, I don't think I NEED more power. (and I spent the last decade driving a 12 second 400hp Talon and two Lancer Evolutions). It's just so cheap and easy to go stage 2, I might as well. Plus remember that Cobb comes with stage 1 and 2. So yes, you are paying $600, but you can flash to stage 1 and then go stage 2 without needing another custom tune (two for the price of 1, plus the hardware and monitoring ability). If you spent $500 for your one custom tune, what happens if you want to change it? Another $500?

I completely support Cobb AP and while it will be beneficial to get a custom tune, if you don't want to spend that kind of money and want the ability to flash back to stock, valet, etc, it is a great way to go. I spent years driving my Talon and tuning on the fly with an SAFC. After having to deal with that for so long (I kinda miss it), I love the ease and drivability of the Cobb.

Second. I've had the Cobb Stage 1 in my 2005 LGT for over a year now. It not only improved the power, but really made the car more usable around town. The power comes on lower and stronger, and it really flattened out the power curve. Mileage stayed more or less the same after the reflash, and I've seen several folks saying their mileage increased. I'm also planning on going Stage 2 eventually, but this is fine for now, especially considering there aren't any well-regarded tuner shops around here and I don't trust myself with computers enough not to find a way to brick my ECU. The datalogging, code reading and other functions in the AP v2 are also pretty useful.

@RealKyleH: You're in Orlando, right? If your stuff gets here before the end of next week, make the drive to Gainesville and come test it out at the test and tune on the road course at Gainesville Raceway on the 27th. It's $95 for probably all the laps you want.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

This might have already been addressed in this thread, but to those of you with non-stock tunes on the 2.5T in newish cars (I'm specifically thinking of the new STi), do you feel that the tune is worth the loss of warranty? Are you concerned about OMG RINGLANDS etc etc? There just seems to be so much conflicting information regarding the strength of the pistons out there. What I've gleaned from iWSTi et. al. is that people think the stock tune is less safe for the pistons because it's too lean below 4k for emissions reasons... but nobody has really demonstrated the stock tune to actually be more dangerous than a retune. Opinions? Just how bad is the stock tune as far as drivability goes?

I've got a 2.5 turbo, but it's older and hasn't been affected by the recent issues. That said, it's got its own set of known drivetrain issues (injectors, banjo bolt screen, partridge in pear tree, etc.). I've been running a mild tune for the last year of warranty time and haven't worried a bit about it. Worst case scenario, you can always reflash/unmarry the device before you drive/push/drag the car in. A non-stock tune mild enough not to be coupled with drivetrain mods (UP, DP, new turbo) isn't going to be the difference between the engine grenading and not. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

nm posted:

For what it is worth, my engine is hosed (100psi on 4th cyl with 60% loss leakdown).
I'm still not sure which tune killed it (though I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't stg2), as it is still completely drivable. I've had stock, cobb stg 1, and cob stg2 on it. Note that my car has a hold load of auto-xes on it and a dozen or so trackdays.
The most interesting thing to me is that I had this had almost no signs. I still have no noticeable power loss (I can still pull on the cars I'm supposed to) and until I put the downpipe on and upped the boost, my oil consumption was "normal" (5qt per 1000mi). Hell, even my UOAs are perfectly clean.
So what I'm saying is get a leakdown before your warranty runs. I'm pretty drat sure this happened during my powertrain warranty, but now I'm 20k after the warranty ran and I'm hosed.
Welp. I just passed powertrain by 2k, so whatever happens happens. I've only done one autocross with the car, doing a trackday next weekend. Generally drive like a grandma to get decent mileage out of it. I have a good relationship with the mechanic who works on my car, so I'll see if they'll test it next time I take it into the dealership; if it's hosed now, I might be able to argue SOA into covering it.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

"this article posted:

"That bumper sticker that maybe you'll see on the next Subaru driving by -- an Obama bumper sticker -- you should stop the driver and say, 'So how is that hopey, changey thing working out for ya?'" Palin said, poking at two words closely tied to Mr. Obama's 2008 presidential campaign, "hope" and "change."

She did clarify her remark so as to not offend Subaru owners: "I shouldn't be disrespectful; I don't have anything against Subarus."

In unrelated news, I ordered a set of the new Stoptech Street Performance pads. Supposed to be better than the HPSs and cheaper to boot. I'll post impressions when I get them on.

Also, this (click):

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

It's obvious from the changes to the WRX and STi that they've been responding to online enthusiast chatter and competitors' moves in how they've let the model lines evolve. Their initial intent with the 2008 Impreza lineup was obviously to move it upmarket in size and comfort, but when that tanked the WRX and competitors' cars walked all over it, they made changes quickly, and it seems like the enthusiast community has responded positively to the last two model years' worth of changes. Ditto with the revised STi.

Okay, so why in the hell haven't they applied the same philosophy to the Legacy? Sure, the Outback is and will always be a sales leader, but the new Legacy landed with a resounding thud. SOA said they wanted to make it more mainstream, so they cribbed styling elements from all over the place and made it bigger and cushier to compete with the usual family hauler suspects. What happens? Granted, Motor Trend isn't exactly the apex of journalistic excellence, but it just got creamed in a MT family sedan comparison test. Subaru's always going to be Subaru, and trying to be Toyota or Honda really bit them in the rear end with this Legacy. Take a cue from the WRX and STi, make some changes already. This Legacy is U-G-L-Y - it ain't got no alibi - and all it'd take is some minor changes from SOA to streamline it a bit. The USDM car looks significantly different from the car the rest of the world gets, and while it still isn't a looker like the BL, everyone else's Legacy is significantly better looking than our lumpen, bloated mess. SOA has proven they can take criticism, adapt and make it work, now put it to use in the Legacy.

.... :goonsay:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Shock of shocks, I've got a bad throwout bearing on my '05 LGT at 63K miles. My mechanic, who I trust, says that while he's in there, it's worth it to just go in and replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel since I'd just have to pay that much again when the clutch goes. He knows I wouldn't be purchasing the parts from the dealership - I never do, it's way too expensive - so I can't imagine this is an attempt to get more money out of me. I don't want to wait on this in any case, since bad throwout bearings have grenaded several transmissions in these cars.

I've had the car since 24K miles. I found out when I had an exhaust leak that the PO had modded the car and likely put a lot more power through it than I am right now (I'm at Cobb's "Stage 1"). The clutch hasn't ever slipped, but it's been making more noise lately, and I don't know if it's just the TO bearing. I can afford to replace the clutch kit now, and would prefer not to shell out for the labor to do it again in the future, so I'm leaning that way.

As far as clutch options go, the OEM unit in the '05-'06 LGT uses a dual mass flywheel. The clutch setup in the '07-'09 LGT, which is identical to that in the '06-'07 WRX, uses a single mass flywheel, and it's a direct replacement. The single-mass setup is significantly less expensive than the dual mass, so I'm leaning that way. Anyone have any feedback as far as pedal feel and other advantages/disadvantages of single mass vs. dual mass setups? '07-'09 LGT owners, how do you like your pedal feel?

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 9, 2010

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Thanks, guys.

Since it's going to come off anyway, I was considering having some exhaust work done. Mechanic told me that if he finds a downpipe and/or catback in the car, he'll pop them on for free since they've got to come back anyway. That's great, but my worry is that I'm running a catted up-pipe (stock '05) right now. Obviously he's not going to throw the labor in for the up-pipe, since that's a completely different animal. I'm gun shy about putting in a downpipe and upping the boost with the Accessport since I've heard horror stories about the upstream cat shredding under boost and destroying the turbo.

The prevailing advice seems to be "don't go Cobb stage 2 without a catless up-pipe," but then again, the maps on the Cobb site are specifically designed for a 2005 LGT that's otherwise stock with just a downpipe and maybe a catback.

Any thoughts? Would I be an idiot to go to Stage 2 with the catted up-pipe still in the car?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

nm posted:

Never been so happy to be told I needed a turbo soon.

Took my car in due to excess coolant in the overflow, thinking headgasket, I'll get away with a thermostat and maybe a radiator.
Because I thought it was a head gasket, I prepared to do the shortblock as I thought I had a busted piston ring due to a previous compression test and using 7L of oil every 5k mi. One was done today, and it is normal (all within 5 psi, which is a huge difference that 100psi on cyl 4). This was verified (they did it 2 or 3 times), and I guess the last test was hosed up.
No external leaks, so that basically just leaves the turbo (at also makes sense the symptoms seem a bit more like a turbo). And that's quite a bit cheaper than pulling a motor and getting a new block. I knew i should have pulled the banjo filter.

You haven't had the banjo bolt checked since the TSB came out? You were running the stock turbo, right?

Also, 100 miles away isn't bad. There isn't a respectable independent Subaru shop in my state, as far as I've been able to tell for the past few years.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Sounds like I've got a nest of baby birds chirping behind my dash when the air conditioning is on. Blower motor? Is it a symptom of anything in particular or just aggravating?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Sterndotstern posted:

Witness the shameless picwhoring of a proud new Subaru owner:

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon, 5-speed manual with STi shortshift and Momo knob. If you hate the wheels, blame me. They're 5Zigen Proracer ZR+520 in 18x8.5 shod with 225 Pirellis. The A-10 sticker came from the PO (a hog driver, obviously) but I insisted that it transfer with the sale.
ONE OF US

Beautiful wagon, man. Congrats.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

warwick5s posted:

Super excellent GT wagon, man.

That kind of thing is my biggest beef with Subaru, though. Why only one year for the stick? They're so all over the place with their option packages.

No demand for it. They're pretty hard to find, and they command a premium. I had a manual wagon as good as bought, and right before I jumped in the car to drive the couple hours to go take a look at it, the dealership called me back to tell me it was sold out from under me to someone who put down a deposit without even seeing the car. I ended up with a 2005 sedan. I love the car, and I have no regrets about it, but :h: wagons :h:

The option packages for the car were bizarre. Once they started offering navigation, you couldn't get it with a manual transmission at all - even on a fully optioned GT Limited - unless you sprung for the Spec.B. If you wanted to go with the Limited, I'm pretty sure you were required to have "wood" trim. I know they were aiming for a budget 3-series/G35 fighter originally, but the wood trim in these cars is completely unnecessary and pretty awful.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Moving to Boulder, Colorado from Florida in January. I've got an '05 manual LGT (sedan :() with a set of RE960AS. Do I need snow tires? Let's assume I'll be driving to work. Eventually. My friends in Denver are posting pictures of tons of snow on the ground, but I'm just not sure how often the roads are paved up there and my only snow driving experience is in FWD cars.

Sure, this could go in the general questions thread, but I'm also wondering if anyone can recommend a good independent Subaru shop in the Denver metro area.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Thanks for the advice, folks. I know about the different rubber compounds in winters vs. all-seasons and summers, but I was mainly curious about how the area itself is and how often it gets cold/snowy enough to warrant buying a new set of wheels and tires. We'll probably only be there for a couple of years, though I guess I can always sell the set of winter wheels & tires when we leave. Also, my fiance has a Civic and she'll hopefully be able to walk or take the bus to work, so we could just slap winter tires on that; it'll be cheaper in that tire size anyway. The Civic gets better mileage anyway :(. Here's a stupid can of worms question: all-wheel drive with all seasons vs. front-wheel drive with winter tires?

Still curious about any good independent shops in the area.

Since this is pretty boring stuff, here is some pretty tame MODIFIED SUBARU content. I picked up the Bosal "SPT 1.5" catback earlier this year. Bosal made the first-gen SPT catbacks. They sold for around $1000 because they had "SPT" on them and were sold through Subaru. Turns out that those exhausts had crimping problems at the mufflers, so much so that Subaru went with AEM for the second generation SPT exhaust. Bosal was left with a bunch of unsold exhausts. They fixed the mufflers and cleared them out. First to admit that it was purely a looks/noise move, but the price was insane for the quality and I love it.

I still haven't gone with a full turboback; the downpipe would be easy/cheap enough to switch out, but I'd have to do the up-pipe too, and ... :10bux: , :effort: I'm running the stock Cobb "Stage 1" tune, and managed to convince myself that I'd have to get a new tune if I put a catless downpipe in. A new tune would probably up the boost, which I'm not too crazy about with that cat in the up-pipe still upstream of the turbo.

Suspension's next anyway.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 17, 2010

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Splinter posted:

My '93 Legacy wagon was just failed smog and was labelled a "gross polluter". I think this may end up working out in my favor because it looks like I now have the option of retiring the vehicle for $1k, which is probably more than I could sell it for. My plan is to take the money and put it towards a newer Subaru for commuting and Tahoe/other random road trips. My commute is 60 miles/day round trip (mostly curvy highway) and I probably drive a bit over 20k miles/year.

Right now I'm leaning toward an '05+ LGT. Probably an '05 to keep the cost down, and probably a sedan because I haven't seen any manual wagons available in the area. I have a bunch of questions about this car:

What should I look for when inspecting/test driving these? I read on LegacyGT that some people were having problems with blown turbos due to some problem with a banjo bolt. Is there a way to check if this may be a problem? Are there any other reliability issues I should lookout for?

How much should I favor a car with 55k miles verses one with 75 or 85k (price wise)?

Am I right in thinking I should avoid LGTs with aftermarket upgrades because its more likely that they've been driven hard?

There's around a $5k difference between the Kelley's value and the Edmund's value for '05 GT Limiteds. My understanding is the Kelley's value is based on the prices the cars have been listed at, while the Edmund's value is based on the prices the cars have sold at. If a dealer is listing a car closer to the Kelley's value, is it reasonable to expect to be able to negotiate the price down to the Edmund's level. If no, what should I shoot for?

Is the Legacy sedan large enough for taking 4 people to Tahoe? From the pictures I've seen it looks like there's enough trunk space if we pack light. What ski racks fit the sedan?

The only thing I'm on the fence about with the GT is fuel economy. Since I drive a decent amount each year, the effects of MPG and premium fuel will be noticeable. Do you guys have any recommendations for other cars to look at? I'm also considering a 2.5i and pre-'05 GTs (no turbo). Not taking into account the loss of power, I have a feeling with the 2.5i I'll want to upgrade the suspension immediately and will miss the rear LSD in the snow, and with the older GTs I'm worried about the higher mileage and possible head gasket problems. Will the '05 LGT beat its MPG specs when driven softly? I routinely get around 28 mpg while commuting with my '93, which is higher than both the fueleconomy.gov and cars101 specs, and I'm wondering whether I'd get similar results with the GT. I drive pretty efficiently most of the time, but I have spirited driving bouts, and that's what is drawing me toward the power and control of the LGT.
I love my '05, but I'm not sure it's the best vehicle for a 20k per year commuter. That said, I'll give your questions a shot.

The banjo bolt is a known issue, and there's a TSB (copies at the bottom of the page here). If you don't know whether the banjo bolt has been checked/replaced, take it to a dealer, mention it and show them the TSB; they should check it. Other known issues are wheel bearings and injectors, I've had both replaced under warranty. The wheel bearing is easy enough to diagnose; you'll hear it. The injector problem usually shows up as misfires, and eventually it'll throw a code. That said, if you're looking at '05s with any significant mileage on them, those problems will already have been dealt with if they were there in the first place. I don't know much about the headgasket issue, but if the car has an EJ25 and is a 2002 or earlier, I'd at least ask if it's been replaced.

I've got the Cobb "Stage 1" tune on mine, and my mileage has been pretty consistent before/after flashing. I get around 20-21 in the city and 25-27 on the highway depending on the speed limit. You can get a custom tune for lower octane fuel, but I don't see the point unless higher octane fuel just isn't available. If mileage and fuel cost is a huge concern, this might not be the right car. Then again, you're not spending that much extra per year on fuel, and the car is fun enough that it's worth it. That's more of a personal decision, I guess.

With regards to aftermarket modifications, it really depends. You don't see nearly as much halfassed hackjob mods with these cars as you do with WRXs, but they're around. Some are really hard to ferret out, too. I found an exhaust leak on my car a couple of years ago when it was under warranty, and when the mechanic took it apart to replace the piece, they found that someone had done a really, really bad job gutting the up-pipe, and there were pieces rattling around in there. I'd never have known if the exhaust leak hadn't started, and some of that crap would have found its way into my turbo eventually. That said, if you're looking to get a modified car, I'd look on legacygt.com; the guys who sell modified cars there usually have a post history full of what they've done to the car and who did the work. At the very least, take a modified car to a good independent shop for an inspection.

Price depends on the market. I practically stole mine four years ago, but I bought it from a dealer in Clearwater, Florida who had literally never seen one before it came onto their lot. The market just doesn't exist down here. If you're in northern California, prices are going to be higher. I'm sure some folks up there can speak to that specifically.

The trunk isn't huge, but I've never taken it skiing. The interior is smaller than it lets on; tall people have trouble in the car.

That Impreza concept looks enormous.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 18, 2010

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Splinter posted:

Just bought an '05 GT this past weekend! Its been a blast so far, but I have a few questions: What do you guys recommend for fluids, especially oil? Does the A/C being displayed when climate control is in "auto" not necessarily mean the A/C is currently operating? Is there a place to by random small parts for the car? Specifically, I'm looking for one of the little plastic fasteners that holds a piece of plastic (the piece with the power seat controls) to the door side of the drivers seat.

Also, what do you guys think about the SPT intake for these cars? What I've read has suggested that it doesn't increase performance at all, and in some cases may even decrease performance due to increased heat levels. The previous owner had the dealership install one (and the heatshield, but no tune afaik) and I'm thinking about swapping the stock unit back in. Is the criticism of the SPT intake that I've read true? Any reason to keep it in?

I run Rotella T6 5W-40 in the car. Here's a UOA from an STi running it with a 5300-mile OCI:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2078804&gonew=1#UNREAD
I dig it. It's cheaper than a lot of other "premium" oils.

I don't know much about the SPT intake specifically, but I can't imagine it's making anything but a noise difference. I've heard some folks warning against it with a tune, but I've never considered one in my car so YMMV.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Welp, 69,000 and there goes my third wheel bearing. Subaru extended the warranty coverage for wheel bearings though, so at least I'm not paying for it.

Looks like it's time for tires. I've got RE960s on the car right now; I haven't had a problem with them, and they were a drat sight better than the RE92s. I wore them down a bit (lot) quicker than normal from autocrossing and a track day. Not going to make that mistake again in the future. If I decide to keep autocrossing/doing track days, I'm just getting another set of wheels and tires. That said, I need some good all-seasons. I always recommend RE960s, but I'm also considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Anyone running the Michelins? They're pretty close in price.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 7, 2010

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Splinter posted:

Thanks, that's good to know. If I'm going to have an OEM clutch/flywheel put in, is there any reason not to go with an '07+ kit (single mass FW rather than DM) instead of an '05/6? Here has 07+ kits for ~$300 and $530 with flywheel (vs $800 for an 05/6 kit w/ flywheel). Anyone know of any similar sites that are located closer to northern California?
I've got that single-mass kit in my '05 LGT - I bought it from Fred Beans - and there's no reason not to go with it. Jeremy at Fred Beans is great to deal with; I've bought tons of stuff from them. There will be a difference going to a slightly lighter flywheel, but you won't even notice it after a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

I've got the Stoptech street pads and I love them. I've had them for about a year now. I've only done one autocross with them, but they held up well. Very noticeable difference from stock. A lot less fade than I'd expected, and they were cheaper than the HPSs.

Slow is Fast posted:

I feel for anyone with an 05 LGT.

nm's saga is scaring the bejesus out of me. At least I finally managed to move somewhere with decent independent shops, so if the worst happens I can agree that I love my car $5k and just move on.

nm posted:

I had one of these get destroyed on my LGT when a rock got stuck in the tiny space. I had to buy a new wheel bearing and subaru refused warranty (5/60)
Sucks. It's not exactly a wheel bearing problem, but I've had three bearings go - two after 5/60 - and the dealership replaced all of them under warranty because the problem is so well-known.

Oh, I've got to register my car one of these days in Colorado. I'm coming from Florida, which isn't a front-plate state, so there are no holes in my bumper for the bracket. I'd prefer not to drill holes in the bumper; are there any good solutions for mounting a plate that don't involve drilling?

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 18, 2011