Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

funkyboogaloo posted:

That's what I thought. I dunno just looking at the 2009 WRC car vs say a 1998 or 2006 car it looks BIG.

Well, you want suspension travel which means long control arms, exacerbated by the drivetrain width on transverse 4wd cars, and large track width for stability in corners.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

jamal posted:

yeah as long as you have the right socket plugs are not too bad. I don't see how anyone could get away with charging more than an hour for labor. Or $50 per plug.

I figured out how to do it with just some tips from people and some helpful tools in an hour, including taking them off again to do a compression test and reassemble it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Lamco gauge is in MPa (megapascals) for some reason. Boostin' from 0 to .15 doesn't sound much fun. Its bar but with the decimal in the "wrong" place.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The more I've been working on the various turbo Subarus, the more I realize the incredible amount of work to make everything even barely accessible, a turbo boxer is a packaging nightmare, even more so with modifications like a larger turbo and under-manifold inlet piping.

Also Perrin's FMIC kit cost more than my awd turbo car and its registration.

baccaruda posted:

Sincerely,
baccaruda

we don't do this here :)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Isn't there a door on the cover? There should be, but that old I don't know. There are clips that you can take off and the whole undertray slides off.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Echoing this question. I really want a set of good mudflaps, but $130 for a set is kind of steep.

A pair of Sparco mudflaps is $20 from SubeSports, they are universal fitment and are actual mudflaps rather than stock Subaru ones which keep grime off the body and nothing else. Rally Armor ones are nice, but the price is a bit steep if you want to just have basic working mudflaps.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

ScaryFast posted:

I saw an STI at a light a few nights ago that took off like a rocket in the snow, and it sounded so awesome. I want a WRX but don't want to pay for it and I'm not a manual fan either so a normal Sport with auto will be fine for me. Yes I know I'm an idiot(not really) for preferring auto.

The auto is so mindboggling bad and unsuited to the turbo engines that you should just get an Audi A3.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Lando posted:

Man, I got a pretty good hookup today from a local NASIOCer. I've been looking for a decent used downpipe, 200-300 bucks was my budget. Find a guy on NASIOC who is practically giving away a bunch of stuff, as he is about to deploy and it doesnt fit his STi<parts are from a previous wrx>.

I pick up, for the sweet tune of $300:
random bellmouth catless DP wrapped and sprayed
TurboXs TMIC with the good silicone y coupler
Injen CAI< practically new>
Samco engine hose kit
another random CAI?

Might be planning a small install day for the 31st/1st and have some peeps over to get it installed. I've got an accessport and catback exhaust already. So stage 2 is around the corner :D

If its a full hose kit, it takes a HUGE amount of time. Don't forget new clamps, the OE pinch clamps are terrible and might not work well for the silicone hoses. Also TurboXS is pretty much eBay special stuff.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

RealKyleH posted:

Do I really need a BOV/BPV for a few weeks? The aftermarket 50MM BOV on my car is leaking (PO installed) and I don't feel like fabbing the parts to repair it ATM. Will the back pressure on the turbo actually be bad for it until I get a stock BPV on there.

WHen the throttle plate closes quickly when you are in boost, a pressure wave goes back through the intake tract and back through the compressor of the turbo, ususally stalling it completely. It makes a horrendous noise and causes some more bearing wear on the turbo. I run my GTX without a bypass about half the time, but its not exactly a good thing for it. Also, you'd have to block off the recirc port on the intake.

Also the MAF will NOT like it, putting air backwards through one will likely have odd reactions by the ECU. Stock bypass valves so rarely fail (Bosch valves are an exception) even with highly increased pressure that just leaving it alone is the best course. That and if you live in a smog state, not having a stupid bright purple thing that obviously isn't stock sounding like a fart won't attract any more attention.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 26, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I think the 2004 STi is the least desirable, mostly because of the non bolt-in wheel bearings, different lug spacing (5x100?) and a slightly different differential setup.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Anyone seen one of these:

I got it from a turbo RX Coupe AWD with a high-low range 5 speed and that diff lock. What a crazy trans that must be.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

"[ELP posted:

"]
Jamal or anyone else that would care to comment, I have a particularly hosed situation.

When deciding to do a 2.5 swap into my bugeye I decided on a Forced Performance HTA68 turbo, now maybe someone forgot to mention it but are these only designed for 2.0 liter engines or something? The lower coolant hardline doesn't have enough clearance from the engine block, my mechanic (Paul @ DBtuned in Sacramento) is thoroughly annoyed with it. The first time it broke was 200 miles after the install, the line was clearly smashed into the block until there was major cracking leading to a coolant leak. I ordered a replacement part from FP which they sent for free, paul and I determined that we wanted some insurance on the clearances and flattened out the offending bend that was compromising the clearance.

The turbo shouldn't be smashing into the bellhousing/block, its supposed to be attached to a bracket that is mounted securely to the engine, do you have some sort of crappy up-pipe or someone remove a bracket they shouldn't have? I remember jamal and I 'massaging" lots of things for fitting big turbos, so maybe try to find some sort of other cooling arrangement or try loosening the up-pipe to block bracketry and see if you can get some space.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

bung posted:

My 09 does that too but I don't know why.

Drive by wire has all sorts of logic that isn't apparent, stuff like rev-hanging, power steering up-idle, and all sorts of stuff. It sounds pretty normal to me.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

69sofine posted:

You don't necessarily have to ditch the turbo timer.
You can use it to warm up your car or if it's a hot day you can turn the AC on and go back into the house before jumping into a nice cold car.

Really really easy to steal cars with them, it bypasses all the security and immobilizers.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

ab0z posted:

It looks like the bearings don't actually touch the hub. Am I reading this wrong?

Well, the theory is that the inner race that is pressed onto the hub seizes partially and starts galling the surface of the hub itself. The axle fits into the inner splines of the hub, and the bearings resides on the oustide of the splined shaft on it, with a small gap in order to torque up the bearings so it won't fall apart the moment it gets some lateral force.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I have one of the key switches for the Speed Alarm with a key if you want it. I've had it for years and never used it for anything.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

jamal posted:

my friend matt just got his new turbo kit finished up:

those are numbers at the wheels.

on straight 91 it makes 400whp.

06 wrx
HB speed rotated turbo kit
Tial V-banded GT3582R .63A/R
perrin fmic
forged pistons
stock heads
no tgv deletes
gruppe-s UEL headers
Aquamist HFS-5

26 psi by 4750 on a single-scroll 35r.

Now post how many gearboxes he's gone through...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This 2006 WRX was posted on the local Subaru forum, and I'm thinking of making an offer on it. The seller posted this picture of his engine bay:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Its a horn for an alarm.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

this qualifies them as "bushed" endlinks (as opposed to spherical?)

Yeah, once you swap to rose-joints/spherical setup, the NVH increases significantly. As the hardness rises (from soft rubber to urethane to metal), it transmits more high frequency vibrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

jamal posted:

unless you want this to happen:

yes you should change all the pulleys.

Miss that driveway. Don't miss that weekend.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Amandyke posted:

I'm thinking it might just be the seafoam degrading the octane rating of my fuel. So I filled it up yesterday and put some octane booster into the tank this morning.

Seafoam has various types of oil in it, which immensely lower octane ratings of fuel. I expect that contributes to it, maybe you have a bad coilpack too?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

"Bottom of the tank" Doesn't exist as people think, since the pump-sock/inlet of the pump resides at the bottom.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

There's VERY good reason for that - Japan has 100 RON and ECUs are tuned to suit. You can -just- run a JDM car on Aussie fuel but it's not recommended. 100 RON is extremely good fuel to say the least so even 93 octane from the USA would be unsuitible immediatly.

Totally different octane ratings. here its (RON+MON)/2.

quote:

Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON, Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. See the table in the following section for a comparison.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Just Another XY posted:

Hm. My '09 WRX needs new tires. After having made a great idea to move from San Diego to Chicago, looks like I'm going to be buying two sets of tires very soon.

For summer performance, seeing as the temperature is hovering around 62º to 41º and not looking to go below for another few months, I think I will be ordering a set of Dunlo Direzza DZ101s in 225/45R17 to match my stock '09 WRX rims.

For winter performance, I think I will be purchasing a set of 4 Blizzak LM-60 winter tires, and trying to find a set of used 16" 200x (where x 03-07) OEM rims to match. But that won't happen until mid-November, when temperatures plunge below 40ºF.

What do you guys think, do you recommend purchasing tires elsewhere, or have any specials you know about?
Thanks!

I went from DZ101s on my race car to Star Specs and gained nearly 20 seconds at Thunderhill, although 50% power increase and other things probably helped, thats a gigantic change in time on a 3.0mi course. The traction available was immense, and went from a car with lots of crappy tire to a car with lots of great tire, and they barely wore with ~16 hours of racing with aggressive suspension setup.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Looks like an overbuilt engine with an awful lot of stupid and useless ricer poo poo stuck on there (JDM headlights point completely the wrong way (left and up) and their reflector designs probably aren't able to be changed to down and right). Grounding kit? lovely brand FMIC? O2 displays are of pretty limited usefulness since I would hope you wouldn't be staring at it doing 40-140 pulls on the freeway. Dynos use their own widebands usually so its some weird sense of security wow look at me blinky light regardless of whose name is on it.

Otherwise you'd buy a half good car with a rated power output. Why does it have all those STi parts added on the list, is it not an STi? 04s are the worst STi.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

burtonos posted:

I had an exhaust leak somewhere, so I went to Chicago and got it fixed!

Click here for the full 648x484 image.

It's weird how serious my car feels now.

With that big of a blow off valve, it should be!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Well I suppose that might depend on your LSD. But as subaru has a symetrical drive train you *shouldn't* get single wheel spin fests like you might with a transversely mounted engine.

The way power is distributed has absolutely nothing to do with the direction the engine is laid out. Hell, even generational and continental differences exist between cars. My Mazda has 3 open diffs with the option to pres butan to lock the center diff, the later gen adds 35/65 center bias and a rear LSD but no butan to push. Evos go from full mechanical to more advanced setups to individual yaw/wheel rate control in a few generations. BMW went from rear-biasing center diff with rear LSD to open diffs with computer controlled individual wheel braking to slow wheelspin. It just goes on and on.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 9, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Except that it's easier to spin a shorter axle, so that wheel will always spin free in an open diff when there is a limited traction situation with both wheels on that axle. But way to bring in irrelevant information there. VDC is a replacement for LSD's when the car manufacturer wants to cheap out and achieve a similar result.

Except everything has equal length driveshafts. My 22 year old AWD Mazda does, Subaru does by virtue of drivetrain design. Evos have for a billions years, Audis get by on the same longitudinal rule. I suppose 1G DSMs and therefore Evo 1-3 and MK1 Galant VR4 might have not, but they didn't really have torque steer with rear bias anyway.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

EBC Redstuffs are very aggressive and wouldn't work very well on a street driven car with low ambient temperatures (like winter), yellowstuffs are less aggressive than the Reds with more variance in environments they would work in.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Lord Gaga posted:

I am not sure why people would say that Subarus shouldn't have front mounts. Untuned Subarus shouldn't have front mounts because the MAF will read air before it gets to the throttle body (significantly longer than with a top mount), but this can be tuned around pretty easily.

Unless it leaks out, air is air, and its been accounted for. The possibility of a large air density increase (cooler air at the same pressure) is what would necessitate a retune, nothing to do with length of intake tract.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I finally joined the Subaru Crew, I got a 99 Outback Sport (green with 5 speed) from the local Pick N Pull junkyard for $1400 ($1526 with tax) with all the parts to fix the body damage (found the same color OBS!), as well as a 1/3 discount coupon. Not bad for a family car, my 93 Mercury Capri has only the slightest hint of rear seats, whereas the OBS should be fine.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 27, 2012

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

c355n4 posted:

Welcome to the fold! How many miles does it have?

187K or so, its definitely a project, but at least its California and I have a matching model to buy parts from.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Got around to doing a compression test on my 99 OBS 5 spd. 210, 210, 195, 15, done with a fully warm engine, injector plugs disconnected, and throttle wide open. Burned valve or some other internal damage from a bad injector. Changed the injector and the cyl #3 misfire code went away, but its definitely bad. I got a complete engine from a 00 OBS automatic, anyone need any parts? I also have some misc parts from pulling apart other OBS models, I purchased many interior parts and have piles of clips, screws, window and door parts floating around. I have a spare driver's side window glass, window and power window/lock switches. Located south of San Jose, CA.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Amandyke posted:

That's a lot of oil on the fins there. The turbo probably needs to be fully rebuilt. And if they had wended the IWG flange, they should likely throw in a port-n-polish as well since I doubt the seal will be as good as it used to.

Personally I'd go for a different one.

I don't think that is oil from the CHRA, maybe they sprayed it for rust. Oil would burn or at least very much darken, even at idle speeds.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Finally got my 99 OBS finished. Its running an originally automatic 2000 OBS engine, put into a California-spec 99 5 speed. Everything seems to work well, I didn't have any issues with the swap. I do have excessive brake travel, which was only slightly mitigated by a full bleed and replacing and adjusting the rear brake shoes. Is there anything else that could make a difference? This is my first ABS car, and I didn't see any sort of bleed ports on the ABS unit itself.

Also, I need a few parts like clutch cable, throwout bearing, clutch pedal cover, etc. Is there a good place to get those parts other than RockAuto?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I did the timing belt/waterpump and valve cover seals on my junkyard 2.2L SOHC, and of course it leaks from the driver side cam seal now. :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Anyone have a spare Metra 70-8901 (or similar) radio harness for a 93-01 Impreza? I'm changing the radio from the sweet OE Clarion tape deck, and would prefer to not destroy the stock harness.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Before I have to deal with the bullshit that is eBay and/or NASIOC, I'm hoping to get rid of some parts from my $1400 junkyard 99 OBS engine swap and general repair project. I'm located in San Luis Obispo California, about 3 hours from LA, and 3.5 hours from SF.

Everything is from a 99 or 2000 Impreza Outback Sport, probably fits anything from 93-01

complete 2.2L SOHC engine (99's original)(engine mounts and everything) $150
187K miles
replaced fuel injectors, previous #3 had a bad injector and leaned out, burning a valve. Other cylinders have 190-210psi compression. Timing belt still attached, A/C bracket is cracked from lifting with it (don't do this).

other parts:
Driver side Mirror in Subaru Green
Driver side mirror in black plastic
driver side window motor
passenger side window motor
Complete 2.2L California airbox, includes new filter and hardware (no snorklet)
air temp and crank/cam sensors
complete tool kit in bag(lug wrench and screwdriver)
tons of interior parts
automatic transmission torque converter and flexplate
2 driver side window/power lock switches
California MAP sensor
2.2L SOHC timing covers
Huge pile of engine bolts/nuts and front suspenion bolts/nuts (California stuff so looks brand new!)
idle air motor (iacv)
driver window glass

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Every iteration of Subaru Group A cars would be a nice start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Pro-sport knockoff Defi gauges are surprisingly nice.

How much Extra S should I buy to do a 99 OBS 5 speed? I also should probably do the diffs, what goes in them?