Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That was the last AutoX I was at where I managed to pull out the win on both days on my 3rd or 4th run and win by hundreths of a second. I also got my nice blue fleece for being the 2007 STU champion in my region.

I sadly don't have that many photos of my car.

I've also owned a 01 Legacy GT which had far and away the weirdest audio setup I'd ever seen in a car. And I disagree with CT that the STI is by and large as waste of extra cash over the WRX for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Registered Loser posted:

I've been looking around at 04 STi's and I have found one that looks great except for one little thing, it seems to be missing some part of the intake I think?
Is this anything to worry about?

Nope all he did was take out the baffling which basically makes it a short ram air intake through the box. I did it on my car and it adds a little noise and possibly some more air flow. Its basically a cheap way to get the effects of a 200 dollar intake without spending the cash.

I'll say though that you should look at an 05+ MY STi. The 2004s are riddled with issues and are generally an inferior vehicle to the 05+ MY cars. I think the details of that are in this thread somewhere I'm sure, but I can elaborate if necessary.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

I am dreading the week or so where I won't be able to do runs up to redline.

A week psh. I rolled through my 1k miles in like 3-4 days. Just need to find excuses to drive everywhere.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

Since I've owned my WRX I've had the itch to put in an aftermarket BOV. Not something too obnoxious but I want to be able to hear it. I'm a sucker for the sound.

I know that the stock one is best but is there a different one I could put on the wouldn't hurt too much?

EDIT: I know this may make me a ricer in some people's minds, but to each his own

Unless you have changed the intercooler and turbo there is no reasons to replace it and plenty of reasons not to.

Namely the issue of recirculating the air and the maf sensor properly calculating air flow so you dont run silly rich. Don't waste your time or money. If you remove the baffling in your intake tract, you can hear the wastegate which is a similar sound and will add some more noise to the car if thats all you're really after.

If you must, Tial makes some of the best ones provided you get the correct one for your application.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

Thanks for the info. I'll probably look into a SAI first then to see if that satisfies my need for that sound. Hopefully I'll be able to find a used one for cheap.

Also, I'm hoping to go to upgrade this spring. STI intercooler, aftermarket down pipe and a stock STI uppipe (I may have gotten those mixed up, I have a buddy local who is going to help who knows his poo poo). I already ahve a CATback.

Doing everything I can to help me like my car and not trade it in for a new one.

If you are going to replace the up-pipe, which is a pain to do, go with a better aftermarket one. The Grimmspeed is one the few I've heard nothing but good things about. You do still want one with a flex join in it, don't get a solid pipe. Thats a solid mid sized upgrade plan though.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Wrar posted:

I need new tires, too. The RE960AS might fit my needs, but my car never sees winter or temps below 40. It does see a poo poo-ton of rain.. I drive aggressively when I can. I'd like to get 20 to 25k miles out of the tires.

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. They are the only tire i've ever had that feels to have nearly the same amount of wet grip as it does dry grip. They are summer tires, but I'm currently on track to get at least 20k (probably a bit more) miles out of them and that was with some autoxing on them last year. If the temperature never gets below 40 where you are, they are manageable on those days that it is colder, and great on the warmer days. They also aren't too pricey so they won't break your bank account either. They are kinda sketchy on sub40 degree wet days, but its not like they feel like they will kill you unless its actually in the middle 30s.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

I just ordered a set. How'd they work out for autox? I'm surprised you're getting 20k miles out of them - how many autox events did you attend?

Sorry for the late reply, they were great for autox. They have excellent initial turn in and they get warm during the first run. I ran about 7 events on them last year and they wore evenly all the way around with some proper camber adjustments. I found that bleeding a bit of air as they heat up and spraying them after the 2nd or 3rd run, depending on how long the run is, kept them at the right temperature. I never managed to turn them greasy. The sidewall is stiff without being back breaking so they communicate, but I never had them roll over the sidewall.

I also managed to get about 20k out of my RE070s with 2 seasons of autoxing on them so maybe I'm just really nice to my tires. I swap wheels and tires over the winter which might help, now those tires I toasted at 1 autox event.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

sourpuss solstice posted:

I'm buying a used 1986 Subaru GL Wagon from my parents as kind of a favor. It's a good little car and since my mother has had it from my grandmother who bought it new and rarely drove farther than around her block it only has 75,000 miles on it.

I don't have any experience with owning a Subaru but I would like this car to last and become my commuter car for a while. It has a very weak sounding engine and shifts kind of sluggish sometimes (automatic trans).

What is the opinion on this car? I've got an additional 2,000 american to put into it if I think it needs some improvements. Also, I heard these things blow head gaskets commonly.

like hur

I had a 1987 turbo version of that. Plainly its just slow with a small motor which would attribute to the weak sounding engine. The 3 speed auto is one of the last that isn't electronically controlled, I had to manually shift mine or it would stick in the top most cruising gear. The small engine and the disparity between the gears in the auto made it a really frustrating car to commute in for me, but I demand some passing power which it definitely didn't have. I wouldn't really sink any money into it, aside from keeping it running.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Another gas related question.

Just filled up my wife's 94 Camry with 89 octane while we were out. Get back, hop in my WRX to go give it a wash and vacuum, fill it up with...89 octane accidentally :doh: Car is stock, should the ECU just pull timing or should I try to stay out of boost?

The ECU will adjust, just don't get on it real hard and it should be fine. I just wouldn't do anything at WOT unless its an emergency.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Okay, just need a fact check. Did the 02 / 03 STI's come with mechanical front / rear diffs?

I am relatively certain that they did as the transition to the electronically controlled ones starts in 04 with the rear and moves to all 3 diffs by the 06 model year. I can't say for sure, but my memory says that they should be all mechanical.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I dunno that its really so much larger as noticeably taller by a fair margin. The higher hood thanks to pedestrian safety isn't helping it look close to the ground either.

The picture at first glance makes it seem huge, but looking at it from both angles it really just seems a lot taller.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

raffie posted:

What's a decent boost gauge to get for my 2008 WRX? Something i can get off ebay or a vendor online and shipped over to singapore would be good.

I've been looking around but there's no real choice over here. Everyone's running with Defi gauges and all the associated add-ons, i just want a decent boost gauge.

The new SPT ones are actually really nice, and reasonably priced. I like my Defi, but I plan on adding a bunch of other gauges down the line. Its possible that subarugenunieparts could arrange to have it shipped there if you emailed them about it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It must just be the area. I'm in southwestern PA and while we have TONS of Subaru dealerships (seriously, I think I have about a dozen Subaru dealerships within a half hour's drive), selection of the high performance Subarus have always been slim pickings. I don't know if it's demand causing them to be snapped up for if it's demand for the other models taking away lot space for the performance models.

Looking around at the various dealer inventories online, most only had 1 or 2 (if any) WRXs and only one that I checked had an STI in stock. Plenty of Imprezas and Legacies to choose from though. You can't swing a dead cat in a parking lot around here and not hit a half dozen Outbacks and Legacies.

This isn't a new situation either, it seems like supplies of WRXs and STIs have always been a bit constrained around here.

If the dealership you want to deal with doesn't have it, it shouldn't be a huge inconvenience to get one from another dealership. Especially if you know exactly what you want. When I bought mine the dealer had just sold the model I wanted, but they managed to look around most of the east coast and find me one with what I wanted. You're going to pay the shipping/handling fee it shouldn't be an issue for them to source the one you want.

For a reference of distance they were willing to go as far away as PA and NJ to get a car while I was in the DC area. They ended up finding the one I bought up at a dealership in Western Maryland. Not that this really negates your monetary concerns, but the fact that they don't have one on the lot shouldn't deter you from trying to get one, a good dealership will get you the one you want.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 2, 2009

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

upsciLLion posted:

How does the WRX do as a daily driver? I'm going to have to start driving to work in a few weeks, so I'm looking for something that will be cheap, reliable, fun, and able to deal with the occasional freak Seattle winter snowfall. I was thinking something like this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1285972053.html Is there anything I should look out for on one with that many miles?

He says he replaced the timing belt, radiator and tires in the past year of which the tires and the timing belt are the things I'd look out for. Only other question I'd ask was when the last time the brakes were done was.

Should be good as a daily driver, the 2.0L should get respectable mileage and will have some fun passing power to get you around. Plus if it gets dull mods are relatively cheap and easy to install.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Walked posted:

Quoting myself. It's in pretty good shape, but the owner couldnt show so no sale could be made anyways.

Since, have gotten them to agree to $275 for the car. Any last suggestions to look at? Pretty much impossible for me to argue at this point.

Also - any way for me to easily tell if this is an AWD/4WD variant of the GL?

If its the 4WD you should have a manual selector for it vs the AWD one which can't go into 2wd or 4wd low. Also prepare for a painfully underpowered car. They can barely get out of their own way.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

8ender posted:

I saw a 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon at the local cheap dealership today for $2400. It has the EJ22 and only 150,000kms. I'm really tempted to get this as a second car. Since it has the EJ22 I assume its pretty much indestructible right?

Basically. Keep the coolant and oil levels at the proper points and it shouldn't be a problem.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

rendicil posted:

I hated the way it drove and the interior was crappy compared with the Tribeca. The third row is a must really because my in-laws live right around the corner and we're buying a car specifically because we don't live in a car friendly city (Boston) and the more room we have in one car, the better to transport people around town.

Suck it up and get a used Honda Odessey. A minivan is what you want image issues aside. It will ride and drive like a car with all the space you'll ever need and be easier to navigate with children than the alternatives.

"SUVs" are way so much cooler I know and no one wants to be seen in an uncool minivan, but you've got two small kids. Cool is not the name of the game in transporting them. It'll probably be safer and get better gas mileage too.

I don't mean to sound angry or pretentious or anything, but if basically the Outback isn't big enough, then you probably need one of those awful 3 row big time SUVs or a minivan.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

FecalFajita posted:

So my tax return is here and it's almost time to put the vf39 and sti top mount in the forester xt, I just need a few more parts...mainly the exhaust. Is it worth it to get a full turbo back system, or can I get away with just a downpipe and a sti catback? I'm hoping to get it to at least 280 wtq.

I don't know why you wouldn't want a full exhaust. Depending on what you get it wont be that bad in the car. Exhausts just arent that expensive for these cars. I think its worth it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

FecalFajita posted:

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for exhaust that doesn't drone on the highway. After looking at some prices, it seems like it would cost at least a grand for a system that claims to be quiet. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere if possible.

I read some where on NASIOC that for up to 350 wtq/whp, you don't need more than a 2 1/2" exhaust system. I guess I'm looking for a second opinion on that.

The OEM STI catback along with a downpipe seems like a good solution money and noise wise, but I'm trying to find any drawbacks before I go ahead and do it. If you have an opinion on that, please tell.

As a note I use the OTS Cobb maps.

The first exhaust setup I had was a Cobb catted downpipe with the OEM STI catback, there is almost no noise increase inside or outside the car besides some extra wastegate noise. It will feel like a significant boost in power and torque over stock, but it basically choked the turbo once you got past 4.5k RPMs. Literally killed it. You could watch on a boost gauge how it would spool to about 16 psi and then once you hit 4.5k drop to 10 and below as you headed toward the redline.

I now have a fully catless exhaust with a Tanabe Medalion Touring cat back. Its got a full size resonator and muffler. Inside the car it doesnt drone at all on the highway. Especially if you listen to the radio at normal volume levels you'll rarely even notice that you have a full exhaust. Its loud as hell outside the car, or if you have the windows down, but simply cruising along its not bad inside the car at all.

I searched around and the nice thing about not having a cat in the downpipe is that basically you can find some cheap cheap bent pieces of metal. You will save a lot of cash doing that. I spent about 700 dollars on my exhuast all said and done. I'd also recommend some stiffer hangers for it, mine rattled a lot from the added vibration and larger pipe size knocking against the undercarriage, and some kartboy poly hangers took care of that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

nm posted:

Dunlops will be better in the rain but running auto-x tires (Re-11s, z1 star specs, Kuhmo XS, Ad08/07) is expensive. If you're not auto-xing or doing track days, they're kind of a waste.

I run HTR ZIIIs as daily tires, and Z1s and Re-01Rs (I have a set of both) as track/autox tires. They're all great, but if a daily drive the Z1s I'll only get like 7k out of them. I'll get 30k out of the HTRs.

The HTR weakness owner is rain. They aren't awful, but they aren't great.

I can safely say that I have driven my Z1 Star Specs for 2 years now (during the summer months about 6-7 months of driving a year) and have accumulated about 14k miles on them with at least this last summer season left in them. If you are getting 7k out of them daily driving I don't know what to tell you, but thats just silly.

This includes half a season of autox on them as well. Maybe I'm just easy on tires, but I got nearly 20k out of my stock RE070s, and am looking to get at least 20k out of these Direzzas.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 28, 2010

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

nm posted:

That includes half-3/4 of a season of AX.
You driving a legacy or WRX? WRX is going to be easier on tires. Star Specs have soft-rear end sidewalls that don't help shoulder life.

I have an STI. And I never felt like the sidewalls were particularly soft. I've never had them roll on me even when I was autoxing. I dunno, perhaps I'm just extra easy on my tires. I think the major problem I find with subarus and tire life is the stock alignment. The 0 camber on the fronts will burn them up faster than anything. I had serious issues with the tire life until I had some negative camber put on the front.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 30, 2010

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I'm with nm on the camber adjustments. About -1.2 is about as much I could get without camber plates. I never ran my tires that high when I autoxed. I always got the best times with about 38.5 in the front and 36 in the rear's maintained as they heated up.

For sure Kimbo thats some roll, but I havent used these tires on a track so thats a completely different animal for me. I rotate my tires front to back about every 7k miles. Which is about how I know that these tires are done cause its their third rotation. I would love to full rotate them inside to out, but thats pricier than I care to bother with.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

syphon posted:

I think they're really the same thing, just called different things by different manufacturers.

Some people think that moonroof only tilts up, while a sunroof tilts up and opens (or maybe vice versa, I forget), but I remember looking it up once and found some manufacturers that advertise the opposite.

Vice Versa. Every car ive encountered with a sun roof only had it tilt up. The moonroof would open all the way. I sorta miss mine, but I can't really see the point of getting an STI with one since it adds so much weight to the top half of the car.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

[list]
[*] the 2002 sedan: Looks nice, is probably nice, make sure the head gasket has been done. IIRC, 2002 was the first year of the 2.5L engines and they had a batch of bad head gaskets which lead to cooling problems and general nastiness. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, check out the Subaru Head Gasket site. If the head gaskets haven't been done, you should definitely have them looked at and replaced.

If you're looking for a Subaru that is just staggeringly cheap to own and run, you may want to consider a late 90s Impreza wagon with the 2.2L engine. They are rock solid, cost almost nothing to insure and are still easy to work on.

The first bit is off in that the 2.5L is from 97 or 98 so the early headgasket problems are more from late 90s cars. A 2002 2.5L shouldn't have that problem as its a phase II engine.

I will agree with this second comment. A Subaru with the 2.2L is a really good car.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

My friend's 1996 2.2L Impreza needed new plugs and wires. While it was in shop, he asked the mechanic to check on the timing belt. The mechanic said it was a bit cracked and he'd recommend replacing it and the water pump. The car has 49k miles on it. Do most people change their belts at 60k or so instead of the advertised 105k?

Recommended service interval is to check it at 60k but it probably won't need replacement till 100k. Thats a really low mileage 96 though if this is current. Might not be a bad idea just on the basis its 14 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dr JonboyG posted:

In DC - will give Mach V a call.

You won't regret going to Dan at Mach V. He's a bit pricey, but on par with most tuners in the area and the service there is really good. They are a friendly bunch, and one of my friends is a mechanic there so give him business!