Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

angryhampster posted:

I may be looking to buy a used subaru next month. It'll probably be ~'99-04 and my budget is $10k. Most of my options have between 75-100,000 miles. What sort of things should be happening at this point as far as maintenance goes? Anything I should look out for? Whatever I buy will have a manual trans and possibly a turbo.

105k is the timing belt for most models I believe.

I got an alignment on my '99 Forester and it seems to have fallen out of alignment again. Is this like my old Volvo where it's caused by worn out suspension bushings of some kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

somebody please allay my fears... I dropped my car off to have the windows tinted a few minutes ago and I wanted non-metalized tint (can't do w/out my talk radio yo). so the jump in percentages was from 15%-35%... I opted for 15% because I would rather err on the side of more privacy but now I'm worried I'll go pick it up in a few hours and it'll be super dark.

does anybody have 15% tint on their subaru? please tell me it works fine.

15% in the front seems a little dark to me. In the back it's not so bad. The best thing to do is always keep your mirrors and windows clean so you get a clear view.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

I got an alignment on my '99 Forester and it seems to have fallen out of alignment again. Is this like my old Volvo where it's caused by worn out suspension bushings of some kind?

Anybody have an idea on this one? Could it be tie-rod ends? The car also vibrates from 25-35 mph.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

wow, 20 years of the STi (well, in Japan):
http://jalopnik.com/5068169/20th-anniversary-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-revealed-for-japan

I found this video of an STi being "unloaded" from a trailer from that site:
http://jalopnik.com/5064535/crappy-video-shows-crappy-day-for-already-busted-subaru-sti

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if maybe they are Enkei RP-01 wheels, and maybe they don't print the R for some reason?

As for the oil filter change, Mazda changes their supplier at what seems like every five minutes. It's never really mattered.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hmm would those mudflaps help keep water from splashing up on the rear window of a Forester?
I'm looking around for a wiper stalk with the intermittent setting though, as regular is just too fast for most of the time. Also, there are pine needles EVERYWHERE at this time of year in Seattle, and they get into everything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

palatka posted:

What are the differences between the Forrester 2.5X and an Outback 2.5i? They seem to have a lot of the same features including the same engine but the outback costs $2-3k more.

The Forester (one 'R') is a different car than the Outback. The Forester is Impreza based and smaller. The Outback is based on a Legacy and larger. The size difference is probably not as great with the '09 Forester. I don't really know about the different trim levels.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 30, 2008

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A lot of people on the Forester forum have been raving about the "Aero" wipers from the 2009 Forester.
If you have an Impreza the 2008 STI ones will fit. I put them on my brother's Outback Sport and they seem good.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
With my dad's 2003 WRX it was pretty hard to get the dealer to acknowledge any problem with the transmission, I think because they were told by Subaru to try and deny any boy racers who had been racing, etc. I went to a different dealer 80 miles away, and they acknowledged, yes, grinding going into first gear at a complete stop is not normal. :) So yeah, sometimes it can be some work to get that work done. Glad MMD3 didn't have the same trouble I did!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

littlehulkster posted:

It was actually the best automatic you could get in a small car when they introduced it, they just haven't changed it at all since like 1989.
If you keep repeating what you hear on the internet, it will become true.

Compared with the older units, the newer autos shift smoothly and use better shift logic. They may not differ much internally but it's much more pleasurable. However, I still would not pair it with a turbo model.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

littlehulkster posted:

The Phase 2 is actually worse than the original, IMO. It was supposed to be smoother, but for some reason the shift solenoids like to fail and it likes to torque bind.

Do you have some evidence of this, empirical or anecdotal?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't pump the brakes. Let it do its magic -- keep your foot down.

edit: also what tires are you using?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well my brother victimized the 2006 Outback Sport a little. It spun out on some ice and curbed one of the wheels. It still has the stock tires, I forgot what kind they are.

I told him to buy some winter tires and steel wheels, he doesn't believe me that all-season tires aren't really that great?? What do you guys in the Seattle area run?

edit: Also what shops do you guys use, if any? I don't have any tools at my brother's place and the steering bushings on the Forester need to be replaced.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The axle should be somewhere around $150-$200 for a remanufactured Subaru unit. I'm not that keen on those Autozone ones.

edit: Oh it's an STi, hmm...That may make a difference. Not sure.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 17, 2008

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

8ender posted:

I crushed a bearing good a few weeks back going into a ditch. My mechanic said it fell into three pieces when they popped it out.

I think they do that anyway. I asked one of the dealers if they should inspect the wheel bearings on my Forester (as it was a reoccuring problem on the first ones). They said not unless there are symptoms, as it falls apart when you take it out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

littlehulkster posted:

If you anticipate routine stops and don't drive like a retard it's not a problem. All you have to do is slow down and use engine braking until the end. People are in love with the brake pedal though.

Not if you're driving on untreated snow in hills. I had to chain up the '06 OBS which still has a set of stock RE92A tires.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TeMpLaR posted:

A snowplow took out my mirror. It's getting fixed today, but I am out of a car for a few days minimum.

Maybe this is a silly question but why does it take a few days to replace a mirror? Paint-matching?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
For 2010 I figure they will be focused on the new Legacy. It's possible there will be new transmission options, including a reintroduction of a CVT on the N/A 4-cylinder. Well, that's what some Japanese magazine says. :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

jamal posted:

A VF52 (09 turbo) and a good tune. Add a downpipe and you're at around 280whp on pump gas for less than $2000. A stock 08 sti makes 230whp on our dyno, for comparison.

Aren't there suspension differences also?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

atomicfire posted:

The automatic version actually has the more "intelligent" AWD system because it uses a viscus center differential versus open diffs all around for the 5 speed.
This isn't true. The 5 speed uses a viscous locking center differential. It also has a rear limited-slip differential.
I do know that the automatic can vary the front/rear torque split, however. I'm not really bright so I'm not going to pretend I understand how all that works.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think we told you to buy new tires.
edit: Also in my experience you have to use the gas sometimes. It's instinct to hit the brakes but they don't do a lot of good on ice. When it snowed here in December I found an open parking lot to try and see all the different things that I could do.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 3, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dreggory posted:

Also, what is the normal procedure for buying from tirerack.com and getting them put on? I've been advised (and seen for myself) not to go to places like discount tire, etc. What's the alternative?

What's wrong with Discount Tire?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dreggory posted:

I may be completely off base here, but I tend to lump them together with all the jiffy-lube type places. Kids running around using air tools on everything, breaking poo poo, denying it, etc.
I've been going there forever and have been pretty happy. It probably depends on which store you go to though, chains can be that way.

atomicfire posted:

Lots of Subaru's have that "problem", just don't pump gas at the fastest setting and you'll be fine.

I've had 3 Subarus and never had that problem. That's not really a solution.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My point is that it's not a characteristic of owning a Subaru and just working around the problem is not a solution. Furthermore, as for "no one really knowing the solution", in the links you provided it states that the problem is with the vent valve on the fuel filler neck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I meant in my post, I had a question about my front drivers side wheel making a clunking sound. It would have made me warm and fuzzy if someone would have confirmed the cause.

I have a '99 Forester but I don't know the answer to your question, sorry.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hedgegnome posted:

Hey look what I did yesterday!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Now sitting on 2004 WRX sedan springs and struts. Maybe a little hard to tell in the picture, but I think Im getting a touch of saggy butt. I was expecting this, and was planning on getting either stock wagon springs or new aftermarket before I put them on. But I have some unplanned down time, Im bored, and Im broke. So on they went!
Im really, really happy with them. The ride is perfect, actually a little firmer than I was expecting. Ive never ridden in a wrx, so I wasnt sure what to expect. And the drop is perfect! So instead of springs, for now I think Ill just get some spacers.
Even better, I did it all by myself! Only problem I had was snapping a cheap harbor freight 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor while trying to undo the rear bolts. Oops.
I even managed to keep the alignment pretty straight. Doesnt pull at all, but Im still getting it checked in a few days. Only thing is, now my steering wheel is a little off center when it should be straight. How did I manage to do that, and how do I fix it?

I have "saggy butt" on mine too, after I put 06 XT springs and struts on my 99.
The off-center steering wheel is something that should be fixed by the alignment shop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow, I am looking for tires for my old Forester, there is really nothing worthwhile in 205/70/R15.
Anybody have some spare 16" wheels? Just kidding.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ab0z posted:

I'm guessing nothing corresponds to the AFR scale on that graph, as a 33:1 AFR at 3500 rpm probably would have undesirable consequences.

It's the green line.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This is probably a really newbie question but what is the big red thing?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ohhh duhhh. The silver part is also part of the intake manifold. I see the injectors now. I probably shouldn't try to post so late at night.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you have extra cash I say you should paint the side-skirts as well. I did that on my dad's silver WRX and it really just made it look better.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah well, the insurance company wanted me to take my car to Circuit City to replace the stolen stereo, and they provided the harnesses to CC too. Well they charged my dad an extra $40 when he picked it up because the kid said he bypassed the amp (B.s., already done), then a few years later I discover they cut the factory harness and wired it that way. Assholes.

For the CV boot, I got my Forester from my brother after he had it for quite a few years. There was all kinds of stuff weird with it but I didn't get a chance to check it all out myself. I didn't find out the inner passenger CV boot was bad until it burst open totally and splattered the grease all over the exhaust (I will know what that smell is from now on). The dealer I took it to only replaced the boot (it was the only one I could find that take it the same day, had to drive 800mi the next day) but I have had strange vibrations in the front end from 15-25mph, and I don't know if it could be from that one another CV joint (chances are another one will go some time since one already did).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

You need more than a flamesuit, laddie. Driving a auto WRX is a truly awful experience.

I have to agree with you there, although I have not driven the later 2.5L turbo models. On the N/A models the transmission has been updated and is significantly smoother and more pleasant to drive, so there may be improvement on the WRX too, but really, I wouldn't recommend the auto to most anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought they stopped using the aluminum hoods after a few years because of the cost of material. They may have brought it back, I dunno.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I did have a parking brake cable snap on me on my old Camry, but it was while I was pulling the lever up. I don't know how likely it would be to spontaneously snap while parked.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know when I had the '03 WRX they switched over to a smaller filter for the turbo models, because the filter was very close to the exhaust system and would get heated up.

If you don't have that issue and the bigger one fits it seems like it'd be ok. I always used to use the V6 filter for my old Mazda I4.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are you talking about a new or used one?
I had syncro problems on a 2003 too and had to work hard to find a dealer who would fix it. Grinding going into first gear at a stop is not normal! Other than that it really isn't the smoothest box but I could manipulate it by rev-matching.

edit: As an aside, one of the things I would have liked in that model was tighter gear ratios and / or more power down low. If you're doing something that's lower speed but need to stay in the powerband, it was kind of a pain to go back and forth between first and second, especially since there was such a gap between them. I haven't driven a new 2.5L turbo but I bet I would like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 9, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oops I mean that's what specifically happened to mine. I don't remember exactly how going into first felt besides being much more clunky than my Mazda, I'm sure Jamal will know.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wouldn't better tires be the best thing for braking performance? I did notice the stock pads on my old WRX could fade quite easily, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That'd be good for snow also. I stranded my bro's OBS in deep snow. Of course, I should have stopped when I started having trouble. Ah well.