Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It doesn't look that big to me. Just taller. I don't think the styling is awful or anything, but once again I know I'm in the minority.:)

dayman, you need to resize that picture! Check the forum rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tremblay posted:

Question for you guys. From the pictures I've seen the homelink mirror for Subies all look the same. For 08 and up on the tech site the part numbers are H501SXA200 and H501SXA201. However both install guides say that the part works for Imprezas. Have these things changed at all since the mid 2000s? I was thinking that a trip to the junk yard might be in order to try and find one.

Oh, car is a 2009 WRX sedan. Just picked it up last weekend!

Is the car prewired for it? The installation may be different.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ah, the last few numbers are probably a part revision number. Sometimes there are minor changes to a part, or the supplier changes or something, and so does the part number. For Mazda they use a letter suffix, like 301A, 301B, etc. The reason I ask about the prewiring is that for my '06 Mazda 3, I needed to run the wires down the A-pillar and tap into some power wires. Buying was split into the mirror itself, and installtion kit, with kit varying on the model. I think all the mirrors themselves are pretty much the same, coming in two mounting styles, and it's up to the car company to supply a wiring kit to the car itself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

toplitzin posted:

I tired calling them, they seem to be a bit swamped. I just got the coupon from my MySubaru account. According to my service manual, the only replace items are air filter, coolant, transmission, brake, and diff fluids.

I'd recommend using the OEM coolant. I don't think it's a problem on those motors but earlier ones had headgasket problems.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ah, I didn't know the turbo motors had that problem too. I have a Phase 2 engine in the Forester with a minor external leak myself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rifles posted:

how would a basic Impreza be for a new driver? I'll be starting in 6 months and will be buying used, and want a manual AWD car

I just had a rental 2009, automatic of course. It was an easy driving car. It was totally base model but overall seemed nice. I've driven a 2006 Outback Sport quite a bit too, and it's fine for driving normally. Manual transmissions on these cars are usually nothing to write home about, but they work and you won't have any problem learning it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think it's possible, there was still plenty of life on the stock pads when my dad traded in his '03 at about 60,000 miles. This comes from leaving lots of following distance and easing off the gas to slow down before having to brake heavily, etc. Most people just hit gas and brake to stay a few feet behind each other on the freeway though, and don't get that kind of life. Still, try and get an independent inspection or something. If you are going to do any kind of performance driving I would probably replace the stock pads anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The first time I sat in a Legacy as a kid, I thought it was the coolest thing that the dash actually shows which door is open.

kaws! posted:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's closer in size to the Accord and Camry now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well I don't know how it is on the Legacy, but manufacturers have it in two different ways. The left paddle downshifts, the right panel upshifts(or vice versa); or, the paddles on one or both sides can be pushed in two different directions, forward for upshift, back for downshift (and vice versa again). Is that what you're asking?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

whereismyshoe posted:

Well they aren't paddle shifters, they're just standard up/down buttons that look like they should control audio.

Oh hmm. Weird

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tiny Faye posted:

Oh man i think I might be able to fix it for realsies!

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=11376

It's just the stopper/tab thingie on the right side. ...I think i'm gonna order it.

Yes! Thank you for finding that! I found the equivalent part for my Forester. I couldn't figure out if I could order that part on it's own without buying a whole new tonneau cover. Yay!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Qapf posted:

In the kindness of their black empty hearts the warranty is going to cover it.

Once I have my car in my hands im going to write a letter about how downright condescending these bastards are.

I am under 30, I own a performance oriented car, I am having to tolerate a dealership in Walnut Creek, CA, The median income here is number higher than I can fathom and I am only here for an internship.

They think mommy and daddy bought me this car so I need to be scolded not to break my toy that I didn't earn. When more correctly I've paid for everything automotive related in my life save for a first beater car, which I took care of, and sold to start my adventures in automotive insanity.

Diablo Subaru is terrible. For any serious work I would drive down to Santa Cruz Subaru if possible, although that's about 85 miles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Qapf posted:

Santa Cruz Subaru sold me my car, I love those people to death and want to go back.

The car wouldn't go into gear, I didn't really have the towing to say take it 85 miles back to the dealership who sold it to me. I got hosed by the situation.

That sucks.

edit: It's not just your age. My dad had a hard time with his WRX at Diablo too. You don't know how white knuckled I was taking it to Santa Cruz when it would randomly shut off. The 17 would be the worst place to stall. By some luck it made it there no problem.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 1, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tiny Faye posted:

New tires day! Just got some general altimaxes installed. Seems to be a popular go to all weather choice on the outback.org forums. Liking them so far, but I'll need to put them through the poo poo weather test. Since this is New England I probably won't have to wait all that long.

Has anybody compared them to the RE960as?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey, I saw a new Impreza wagon today (it didn't yet have plates). It looked like a base model and had regular red taillights. Are there some models without those clear lights now? This may have happened a long time ago and I never noticed, but all the pictures on Subaru.com show the clear lights.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, after searching I came to that conclusion.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tiny Faye posted:

There seems to be a lot of hate for Bridgestone Potenzas over there. I can't compare myself because my car came with a set of super worn down BF Goodrich advantages. The other recommendation I got was for an all season that didn't suck in the winter was Goodyear triple treads, but the general consensus was they the triple treads don't seem to last as long as they should. Plus they were 30 bucks more per tire.

Well, I bought the 960a/s for my brother's car. The General tires would be special order. I had it price matched to Tire Rack anyway, so it wasn't too bad.

The RE92/RE92a may say Potenza on them, but I don't think they have anything in common with the other tires.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This is the first year they've used that CVT so it's probably hard to say about the long-term reliability. It's supposed to get pretty good mileage.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Raymn posted:

Yeah, the entire description of the problems never made much sense to me even in my limited knowledge gleaned through this thread and the basic info I dug up when trying to research what he listed as wrong. Is fwd only mode really that potentially damaging to the transmission if left on and is it really only user enabled? The car can't throw some codes that causes it to automatically be enabled?
Here's what my 99 Forester manual says:

quote:

Front-wheel drive warning light (for AT vehicles)
This light comes on when All Wheel Drive is disengaged and the drive
mechanism is switched to Front Wheel Drive for maintenance or similar
purposes.
The center differential is fully disengaged from the rear. Being put in FWD might be a way to hide problems with the center differential or rear differential. Subaru forums also think leaving it in FWD mode can cause Solenoid C to fail because it's left at 100% duty cycle.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't had trouble with my Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds in mildly warm temperatures. Next time though I will just get all-season tires for 3 seasons. In Spring and Fall here it can be warm during the day and cool at night. It seems silly to have to either keep the winter tires on or risk driving cold summer tires. I bought summer tires while I was living in California and didn't need anything else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

8ender posted:

I did a similar mod on my old Protege5 without the GLI and everything was fine and sounded great until I tried to plug my ipod into cigarette lighter socket charger, then I could hear the alternator spinning up and down in glorious stereo. I ended up getting a GLI and installing it.

I have that problem with the AuxMod in my 3. At what point do you install the GLI?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

8ender posted:

I bought a Radio Shack GLI like the one below and then used a combination of various converters to convert the stereo cable to RCA and back again. It was all stuffed under the console plastic and ziptied together.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214

Thanks!! I Found one from PAC-audio that uses the 3.5mm jack. This is going on my "Christmas" list :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

On the plus side, I can't believe Subaru is still sending me free lift tickets at least once a year even after 8 years from buying my car.

On the minus side, Subaru, you need to send the email out more than 12 hours in advance. It's kind of too late for me to decide to go skiing tomorrow. Not that the conditions will be worth a crap anyways since it hasn't been cold until this week and we've had no snow.

Maybe that's the point. Send out tickets when they know attendance will be low to get more people to come in. About that though, like the person above asks, how do you get that? We've had Subarus in the family since '99. I'll have to ask my dad if he ever gets anything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

8ender posted:

I put pinstripes on mine

and then some "white flames" on the side

What causes that pattern?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

swagger like us posted:

Got a 98 subaru impreza brighton here, and my rear windshield wiper fluid doesnt come out anymore. A few months ago it was very weak and would take a few seconds to squirt out a bit (with lots of noise) and now it just makes some noise and nothing comes out. Anyway I can fix this myself? Really its not that important but its nice to have.

Refill your tank if you haven't.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

What recall? I didn't hear it get beyond TSB status.

Ah, found it.

Subaru Recall Campaign WVK-21
NHTSA Recall No. 09V-468

Issued in December.

You don't know how happy I am that they are finally taking care of this under a recall (though, it hasn't been quite as bad for me since managed to tighten one of the screws with a long screwdriver.) I can't say I have an answer for your question though.

That's weird as my '03 would occasionally smell like gas, but it was in California and not subject to colder weather except for ski trips.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

I guess I'm going with these regardless... $68/tire for these wholesale vs. $130/tire for the Bridgestones... Here's hoping they perform alright in rain and snow.

You should look at the reviews on Discounttire.com . It sounds like they may not be as good in snow... Difficult to say without first hand experience though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure it is an alignment issue, but I've had a lot of trouble finding shops that will fix it right.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

so it's not something I should have expected would be fixed with an alignment job?

No, it should have been. Other shops I've gone to don't have any problem with it, just I don't know where to go where I live now. They never get it right.

Fantastipotamus posted:

I'm not sure if newer cars are the same way, but in my old car, the wheel was just a splined shaft, so you get a steering wheel puller tool, straighten the wheels, pop the steering wheel, center it, and reinstall.

My old car didn't have an airbag though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in newer cars (it was an '84).

It would be a lot of extra work thanks to the airbag. You have to remove that first.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

toplitzin posted:

Ok so combing the post and whats on that table, here is what I have come up with,

• Plugs - Replace, What Brand?
  • Serpentine belt - Replace
  • Trans/Diff - Replace with redline
  • Coolant - Replace, OEM or Prestone?
  • Brake Fluid - Replace
  • Valve Clearance - Inspect
  • A/C Filter - Replace
  • Timing belt - Replace
  • Tensioner - Inspect or Replace?
  • Water Pump - Inspect or Replace?
  • Pulleys - Inspect or Replace?
  • Tire Rotation/New Tires

Am I missing anything? Any ballpark guesses on cost?
I think the OEM coolant is supposed to be specially formulated somehow. At least, that's what Subaru says

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cuntpunch posted:

Getting a slightly weird, but minor, electrical quirk in my '09 2.5i:

The rear wiper occasionally ignores the intermittent setting and runs constantly while it's not supposed to. Usually see this if it's set to the intermittent position while starting the car, though not every time so I'm not able to generate a specific way to reproduce the error. Can be fixed by turning the rear wiper off for a few seconds then back to intermittent.

It seems minor but is it worth mentioning when I take it in for 7.5 month service in a few weeks just to see if it's a known problem?

Does it happen while in reverse? If so, that's a feature.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

fletcher posted:

I've got a 2006 Impreza (non-turbo) with 77,000 miles on it. I noticed it was leaking oil so I took it in for service. They said the cylinder gaskets need to be replaced and it'll cost me $2400.

How the gently caress does a meticulously maintained Subaru with that few miles on it need that kind of major service? I've taken it to the dealership every time for service, never missed an oil change, and I saved all the invoices to back that up. I don't know a drat thing about cars, just that I needed to keep mine properly maintained, and I thought I did that.

I definitely don't have $2400 to pay for this so I'm not sure what the hell I'm gonna do. My warranty ran out at 60,000 miles. Anybody have any suggestions? Am I screwed? :(

Get a second opinion

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought the STi 6-speed is hand-built which wouldn't really be feasible for a volume car like the Legacy, but now I can't find any source on that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Change the timing belt? It's not due until 105k miles but they have to take off the timing belt right now, right? Of course, if you're not planning on keeping the car for a while or don't mind paying later I'm sure it can wait.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

8ender posted:

I have a 2002 Impreza 2.5ts with rod knock. Its been sitting parked for a while as I get together the ambition to rebuild it.

A wrecked 2005 Impreza 2.5rs just popped up locally. What kind of issues would I run into trying to put the motor from the 2005 into my 2002? Would everything just plug and play?

I believe 2005 is when they started with an electronic throttle, so see if you can just swap out the throttle body for your old one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

jamal posted:

can't just swap throttle bodies, but you can swap the whole intake manifold and wiring harness, which is what you would need to do for it to work right anyway. I think some of the n/a motors have avcs or avls or something these days so you would have to check on that.

i-AVLS is 2006+ for the 2.5L so he's good there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spider Crusoe posted:

How difficult is it to change the parking light bulb on the drivers side of a 2007 Impreza? I'm trying to reach the socket and twist it out, but the windhshield washer tank gets in the way of my hands. Will I need to start removing things to get at it?

I haven't done the corner light but I have done the headlight. First I'd check the manual, but for the headlight you can move the washer tank out of the way by popping out the black trim clip (looks like it has a phillips screw head).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Looks good :)

By the way, can the Outback be lowered to be more like a Legacy wagon? Are there STI parts? The new Outback just seems a little too high. I like the sedan a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Man I usually try to ignore it, but "torques" is not a unit of measurement. You mean pound feet or foot pounds.

Anyway, what camera mount are you using there?

Let me know how the steering rack is, I can tell you the stock '99 rack is just awful.