Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

nm posted:

They're even better in Diamond Grey Metallic with a manual and a turbo

Fixed it for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Go for exhaust. I love my Megan single tips, although they are a little large, they sound great.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

That's likely what I'll do, as the sound of my STi is now about the only thing I miss, after the tune. Where'd you get yours, and how much did they run you? Also, install them yourself?

Got it from Boostjunkie on LGT. he's been really hit or miss, which was aggravating, but I am fairly happy with the transaction/cost. $675 shipped I think it was + 3% paypal (if you so choose). Yeah, I had a friend help out. I don't know about the previous year models, but we had to drill out the downpipe side for the bolt holes. the spring/bolts are skinny on that side and the replacement bolts didn't fit (and we broke the drat spring bolts taking them off the stocker).

It looks like one side is gapped a little at the connection, but I don't hear any leaks. Also, I was rubbing against the heat shield underneath behind the cat, but a little tweaking with a pry bar and all is right with the world. Minor issues, IMO, and the sound is worth it. I don't have to crank my stereo while cruising and it sounds great to me. :)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamnit. This thread + my increasing hatred for my Volvo is making me really, really want to do some stupid financial things to get a bug-eye WRX.

Why the hatred on the volvo?

For what it's worth - You might better enjoy a LGT. The 05-06 is getting to a point where you can find a decent example for pretty cheap, odds are they'll have been well taken care of (more so than most bug-eyes), and you get some of the big boy toys... (god I love my butt-warmers when it's -40F, which isn't really applicable to you just saying the extra luxury and interior options are nice).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because I'm driving a beater worthy of a junior in high school with busted A/C, no power accessories, and that fails emissions with a whopping 114hp four-cylinder. Let's not forget that the trunk springs are trashed, the interior is sparse and full of broken plastic, and the driver's side rear door is jammed shut.

It runs and drives, and that's about it. Obviously I shouldn't, and don't, expect much more than that out of a car that cost me $1300 a few years and ~25,000 miles ago, but it doesn't mean I can't get tired of it :v:

Ahhh, I'm probably thinking of the other goon (lloydDobler?) with the c series convert. and the rebuilt DD that turned out pretty nice. Given the above... What are you waiting for? I drove a bug-eye on a few occasions, and it was pretty decent, but the lag/whatever you want to call it was pretty maddening. I'm guessing a "stage 2" would make a world of difference on that end though.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

A buddy of mine is getting his 09 wrx next week. I hope to get some side by side pics with my legacy (08 DGM legacy and 09 DGM WRX - sound good? heh). Everything I've heard about the 52 is that it is essentially a 48 with a different comp housing as well. Can't wait to get a ride in it and compare it with my 08 with cobb stage 1 93 oct map.
It might just piss me off and shoot me for a DP/TMIC/protune at some point in the nearer future(though I'm trying to hold out for the end of the bumper-bumper warranty).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Went out with a friend and snapped some photos yesterday. It was pretty bright, and I think he could have used a higher speed film (and I don't have Photoshop), but here are some of the better shots.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

If you have Vista, the photoviewer has an autoadjust feature that should fix the exposure. If you have XP, download IrfanView (free program) and it can fix the exposure.

I actually use irfanview at work, it just didn't occur to me to try with that. I'll probably play around with them a bit once I get in.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I'm sorely tempted by this... must... resist...

As a side comment... as a result of the dealings I've had with Cobb recently, I cannot recommend them enough as a vendor for your Subaru. And they will be a top contender for my business in any future purchases for my LGT.

\/\/\/\/ I agree, they probably won't be my ultimate choice, but the level of customer service they've shown me in my dealings has been top tier, so they'll definitely be on my shortlist moving forward. \/\/\/\/

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 4, 2008

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

My plan when my 09 gets here is just to not use the TPMS in the winter. The dealership charges $45 to mate the sensors, so it is a lot easier for me to just keep track of what wheel was where and put them back.

This. I even bought the sensors, but when I went to get my snows mounted to a set of 05 GT rims I picked up, the tech forgot and left the original valve stems in (not like they charged me for it anyways), and it was a friend of a friend doing it after hours so I just run without it. Of course the wheels I just picked up for summer use (06-07 WRX rims) don't fit the TPMS, so now have NO wheels with TPMS... Oops? I'll probably get rid of the GT rims and pick up some 18's next summer or something and put them into that for inspection purposes. drat new fangled federal requirements.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

*plugs ears* LALALALALALA I can't hear you!

I love my legacy. I love my legacy. I love my legacy.

Content: That is a smoking deal. I'm already into positive equity on my Legacy, but I just refi'ed the sucker to lower the rate and monthly pmt, and going from 12k debt back to 20k+ would suck! Otherwise I'd be all over this.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Right now I'm waiting for the traffic to die down... apparently going down a light or two and coming back on the main road right by the office is taking about 30 minutes.

Should be an interesting drive home in the LGT. :v:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Anything blocking the intake vents? It might be trying harder to pull air through a smaller opening and making more noise, but pushing less air because of the restriction.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Agreed with Turbo Car. If it wasn't for your extended description, I had another thought could be something blocking the air particle filters for the HVAC system. I think those are behind the glovebox.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

on the pass side under the glove box there's a plastic tray held in by 3 plastic trim push-pins ( at least on my 08 LGT it is). About dead center of that panel is a circular depression, the blower motor is there. I'd pull the tray/cover off and look around. Might not hurt to let it thaw a bit more either...

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

What's up DGM LGT buddy? :hfive: 5spd? Either way, you'll love it. I highly recommend getting a clear-bra on that ASAP.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Kanzen posted:

I thought about it for a second, but every time I drove into San Francisco I'd want to put a gun to my head, so I went with the auto.

I can understand, doesn't mean I'd agree. ;) Either way have fun. I'd say jump on the AP and amaze at the wonders of the stg1 map from cobb. I'm actually selling my AP if you're interested.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Anecdotal evidence I've heard is in line with Jamal - at least within the turbo Subaru community. From what I picked up off the LGT boards, Castrol the semi-syn. blend does pretty well, and that's what I've started using as of the last change or two.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

jamal posted:

yeah, when WRX shopping, if at all possible get an 06-07. They got a bunch of nice upgrades over the 02-05 like the extra displacement, avcs, better brakes, more aluminum suspension parts, etc.

For 08-09, the GT badge applies to 09 automatics, which I think still have a TD04. For 09 the WRX is the 5-speed with a VF52. The VF52 is basically a VF38 (sti turbo) with a compressor cover to suit the intercooler and plastic intake manifold. We're seeing 300whp with stage 2 mods on the 09, where with an 02-08 you're lucky to get 230. Suspension and swaybars were also stiffened up slightly, it got summer tires instead of RE-92s, and the front seats have red WRX stitching like the old school GCs. Additionally, the 08-09 wrx does not have a rear LSD due to the traction control system or something, and they're back to a steel hood and suspension links. Even so they're a good 200 lb lighter than the GD.

MMD3, find one of those alignment places that does free alignment checks. pep-boys, firestone, etc might do it. If there's more than 1.5-2 degrees of negative camber in the rear something may be bent (it looks like the strut)

Fixed... The 48 is what is on my LGT. The 38 is what came on the STi, IIRC.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Hey guys, quick question. 08 LGT, CBE - I got a K&N panel filter for my birthday (last july) and have yet to put it in. I know general consensus is any sort of intake mod you need to get tuned. Is that true of the panel filters as well? To be perfectly clear, I have not had the car tuned at all. No AP/UTEC/etc.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

My mileage in the 08 GT is pretty mediocre considering most of my commute is highway, but I think most of that is due to pretty serious elevation changes during that drive. Time of year also has an affect. Dead of winter here in VT, and it's -10 when I'm out the door. Combine the above conditions with 1.) Warm up time before the car is even remotely usable. 2.) Driving time while car is still not up to temp 3.) atmospheric conditions (differences in air content between 30 degrees and -10 degrees F is pretty significant - also seriously affects tire inflation and I'm not on top of it as I should be.

In short, I'm lucky to average 21-22 my commute during winter. During summer, I see closer to 25-26. The higher ethanol content I'm sure doesn't help as well.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

The extra bloat of the GT doesn't help. I also just changed out my air filter (17k miles on it), so I'm hoping that will help a bit as well. ;)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

nm posted:

I have an LGT wagon.
Though the 05s are quite a bit lighter than the 08s.

For some reason I was thinking turboluvah. (sold GT for WRX/forester?)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

azflyboy posted:

useful :words:

Thanks for this. A friend at work has a late 90s early 00's outback that has some bad windnoise going down the road. They're going to try this out and see if it gets any better.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Hawk HPS are usually pretty popular.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

CharlesM posted:

This is probably a really newbie question but what is the big red thing?

The big red thing is an intake manifold.

On a semi-related note: I've heard debates on phenolic spacers, especially on a metal intake manifolds to help reduce intake temps due to heat transfer from the block. thoughts? The LGT has a plastic manifold, so it isn't quite as much of an issue. The question is more just for debate than anything. :)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

There have been a number of revisions between the 02 and 07 year models, wikipedia outlines them nicely in more detail. The biggest mechanical one that I can think of is motor displacement. The 02-05 WRX had a 2.0 liter motor where was the 06+ had a 2.5 liter. The other big ones which are obvious are body style updates. 02-03 were the bug eyes (round head lights), 04-05 were blob eyes, 06-07 had the propeller shaped front grille. Interior updteas, suspension updates, brake updates...

Ultimately, you're still looking at the same chassis, just new bits/pieces that updated the car in general. All that said, they're all fun as heck and worth it.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

IIRC - The Legacy guys love Castrol Syntec. Many Blackstone results have been favorable and people seem pretty happy, but that's mostly heresy. It was enough to push me to it after I bought my 08 LGT and steer me away from Mobil 1.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

wicked big tomorrow. Any goons going? Leaving bright and early tomorrow from VT.

I'll try and get some pictures.. should be some nice cars.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

yeah, look up a few posts. Was trying to see if anyone else was going. Not bad, despite the weather.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

ab0z posted:

If it's a subaru 5 speed, it's a "glass transmission". My friend that has rebuilt a few of them says the probable common cause of failure is when you shockload the unit with a hard 1-2 shift, the input shaft flexes and the resulting incomplete gear engagement causes the ensuing gear tooth salad.

The 6-speed is an entirely different transmission, and shares nothing with the 5. If you look at the 6 you will see the adapter plate between the trans and the subaru bellhousing.

The solution to the problem with a subaru 5 speed is:
Get an STi, and never worry about it, or
get an aftermarket gearset, they're hard to break, or
just don't shockload the transmission by launching hard (drag racing, etc).

I don't feel like that is true of the later year model 5spds. Though not as indestructible as the STi, they're far from being "glass" in the LGT. I know people that were pushing 3-400 WHP through the stock 5spd. Yes, I'm sure how you drive can affect any transmission, including the STi, but I think the 5spds can still hold a reasonable amount of power.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

The stocker in my LGT was kind of high, but getting a knob that sits lower can make a bit of a difference. I ended up getting a Delrin knob that dropped the overall height about an inch, if not a little more (the stock knob is pretty dang tall!). I'd start there and work your way down. Also seconding the Cobb... I've been debating it, and the double adjustable feature is what is pushing me that way.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It must just be the area. I'm in southwestern PA and while we have TONS of Subaru dealerships (seriously, I think I have about a dozen Subaru dealerships within a half hour's drive), selection of the high performance Subarus have always been slim pickings. I don't know if it's demand causing them to be snapped up for if it's demand for the other models taking away lot space for the performance models.

Looking around at the various dealer inventories online, most only had 1 or 2 (if any) WRXs and only one that I checked had an STI in stock. Plenty of Imprezas and Legacies to choose from though. You can't swing a dead cat in a parking lot around here and not hit a half dozen Outbacks and Legacies.

This isn't a new situation either, it seems like supplies of WRXs and STIs have always been a bit constrained around here.

I'm not entirely surprised. My 08 5MT DGM LGT was the only one within a reasonable distance (3 hour drive seem reasonable?). I knew if I was going to get a LGT, it would have to be a 5MT (spec b was out of my price range), not only were there very few LGTs, but this was the only manual that I could find in the state of vermont when I was looking. Just happened to be the color I wanted to. First 30 seconds in the car and I was sold too. If you're trying to wait, don't go sit in it whatever you do!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

:rice:

A couple of things that stand out to me: (not deal breakers, but make me wonder about their taste)

HPS Racing pads for street application?
Did they give any details on who did the pro-tune?
The Tein's are generally regarded as laughable around here, but are generally ok for street driving, assuming you have SOME suspension travel.
AFR guage is a waste - only thing you'll ever see on it is if something is REALLY wrong. This is all assuming it isn't a wideband 02 setup.

The mods are at least matching a conventional wisdom and understanding and aren't totally :rice: but there are some gaps in there.

Sounds to me like it was probably driven pretty hard between bouts on the highway. I'd echo the concerns of having a compression and/or leak down test done.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

nm you are a crazy crazy man. That's a time bomb to me, but more power to you. Let us know how it holds up at the track.

One side question. Had the 30k done on my 08 not too long ago, and when "cold" it's a bitch to get it into 2nd while coasting along. They changed the trans fluid as a part of the service IIRC. Short of calling and complaining, anything else worth checking?

And finally, Christmas is coming early up here. MY GIRLFRIEND ordered a set of whiteline adjustable swaybars (F+R). Also picking up some AVO RSB mounts, and I have been waiting to put the kartboy endlinks on from previous xmas. Everything should be here next week, I can't wait!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

If you can swing it, I'd try a bit further south. My concerns is that up here something that old could potentially be a rust bucket with pretty panels on the outside.

DC is a 9 or 10 hour drive from here depending on how crazy you are, and I'm sure there would be people around here willing to check out a car that you could potentially get a better deal on for a cheap flight down.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

all 07+ legacies have TPMS. Let me tell you how excited I am about that wonderful piece of automotive regulation/legislation.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

allonblack posted:

My buddy just bought his first STI and within 6 hours of ownership the pickup tube snapped and he spun a bearing. lovely deal. Point is though, it happens. If you're considering buying one it may be worth doing and save you a lot of money.

Anyone know how Cobb is with Accessport warranties? Specifically what happens if it's out of warranty? Mine died today and won't power back up and I'm uncertain if it's still under warranty.

Call them up. I bought a new in box, but 3rd party access port for my LGT and ran into problems with the ECU in my car. Granted it was a newer CAN-BUS model AP, but they helped me out when they had no obligation to.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Only if you want to return the oil!

Why would I want to return oil? gently caress opec! I'm keeping it for myself!

Content:

Long term planning for my LGT (08 5mt for reference).

It's my DD, and I love it. But, I'm thinking I'd like to get it to the 300hp mark.
After getting a raise at work, I think I can start slowly sourcing parts over the next year or so. Current "power mods" are basically limited to a K&N panel filter and a cat-back.

To hit my power goal I'm thinking of swapping for a vf52. Supporting mods would include: fuel pump, (650cc?) injectors, catted DP, aftermarket top mount and the obligatory tune. What I'm envisioning is a close to stock power delivery that has a little more breathing room up top and not having to worry about added maintenance/parts failures. I'm pretty good on maintenance, and my extended warranty is 5yr/60k miles - so I figure I've got maybe a year until I run that out anyways.

I'm hoping to hear this is reasonable/doable given the above criteria, or should I just save up for a separate car and really dedicate that to toy status and leave the DD basically as it is?

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It's not the practicalities that bother me. I'm keeping my 2002 WRX and I already have a 2nd set of stock wheels for that car so I have the bases covered. I'll have a set of all seasons on 2002 WRX wheels and I'm planning on replacing my worn summer tires on the other set of wheels with a set of winters.

Are 16s going to fit a new WRX? I'd imagine they upgraded the braking system a bit since that model year.