Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Thank god neither of us want to go THAT route. Current top of the list is a v6 Toyota Venza, but we've got about a year (at least) until we start really looking to purchase. We'll see what shakes down when we're actually expecting #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Sockington posted:

In Canada, it's "one year" to switch from rear facing to forward facing. Our youngest is 10months old and sits rear facing behind the passenger. My wife had maybe one/two forward adjustment clicks left on her seat to accommodate those rear facing bastards.

Our boy is coming up on 3 and sits behind me (driver) in the wagon. I could not imagine trying to cram a 2year old in a rear facing. :3:

They say AT LEAST one year, so there is room to carry that out longer with what works for you. :)

Edit: and what with my wife being a peds NICU RN and working on her Peds NP - she tends to want to follow APA recommendations, so we'll stick closer to 2 years than not.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 11, 2013

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I'm kinda bummed coming to the realization that the LGT is going to have to go next spring if not before. Doing some quick market research - it seems like prices are seemingly very bipolar. Seeing some go for as little as 13, but some like the spec b are 21k+

Was hoping to get a little feedback if what I'm seeking is reasonable:
Specs -08 LGT DGM 5MT.
82k miles
clean throughout - though it could use a detail.
only "mods" are as follows:
CBE
Rallitek v1 Skid plate
GTBoost Gauge
Whiteline adjustable sway-bars (F+R) with AVO brackets in the rear
then general stuff like tint, clear bra, and 2 sets of wheels ( winters on 06-07 wrx rims, and a set of enkeis for summer).

I fear $16k is what it will end up going for, but I think listing at 18k obo should at least get some eyes looking. Am I delirious?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

si posted:

Personally, as a guy who's on his 2nd 4th gen LGT, if I saw an 08 DGM at 18k I'd think "This is someone who isn't really trying to sell it" and skip past. Unless it was a dealer, I suppose. I think you're right at 16k. DGM and QSM are painfully common, so it doesn't really help matters.

I'd take your parts off and sell them separately, put stock ones on, and list it at 16.5. I think you can still get your 16k, and maybe make $500-750 on top of it from the aftermarket parts.

Yeah, I'll have to look into it. I'm just afraid that anything I can't do a direct swap on immediately and requires shipping will be a ton of hassle, on something that doesn't have a ton of interest, but good points. Thanks

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

It looks like a focus or something:

http://jalopnik.com/2015-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-this-is-it-1496968833

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

How is the 3.6 engine and 5 speed AT in the Subaru Outback? I've never owned a Subaru but I'm looking hard at buying a new Outback.

User Burtonos has one, but I haven't seen him jump in anytime recently. I was looking at them not too long ago as well. It's a BIIIG car. But with plenty of torque, which makes for an amusing drive but I thought the 5eat was just a bit too rough. Not bad overall, but some of the characteristics didn't jive for me. Electronic parking brake was a bummer as well.

edit: avoid the isight, and other nanny gizmos. Holy crap, I hate that stuff.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Dead IGN switch?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

^^^^ I could see it being something like that.

In my (strictly unprofessional) mind - a dead ECU/fuse likely wouldn't cause it to even keep from trying to turn over.

Either way, you're over my head - good luck.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Sometime this summer, doing the Timing belt and struts on my 2008 LGT.

Gates Kit TCK328 - $150 from RA
WP+gasket+o-ring - $120 from subaru genuine parts

Struts - I was looking at bilsteins earlier in the thread, and still think that may be the way to go, but not sure the best place to get them or if there are other options I should consider. Koni's are good, but probably overkill since this car only really is a commuter at this point.

Probably need mounts for them too, but the places I've checked don't have a great selection - i.e. RA only had Moog for the rear, or some no name brand. Jamal?

Other considerations I should look into while doing all this? I am probably going to do trans/diff fluid while at it, so need to source some extra S...

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Does anyone else watch the Launch Control series that Subaru America makes about their rally/rallycross teams? It's surprisingly good.

I should probably watch it a little more. My buddy that helps me out with car work is one of the lead mechanics. It's cool stuff.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

jamal posted:

For bilsteins I think you also have to change the front spring perches and tops and the springs might be a different length too. Tirerack is the only place I use that carries them and they don't drop ship so you would probably be better off getting them there or somewhere else directly.

Konis are actually less and give you a rebound adjustment knob. The rears are a complete shock and then the front is a standard insert. For mounts I would go with whiteline com-c in the front and then probably just keep the stock ones in the rear. If you wanted new ones I can get KYB and then for OEM subarugenuineparts is the way to go.

I'm looking around at springs to go with them and don't see a whole lot. Tein H-techs are looking like the best option and they lower less than H&R. Or you could just replace the shocks.

jamal posted:

For bilsteins I think you also have to change the front spring perches and tops and the springs might be a different length too. Tirerack is the only place I use that carries them and they don't drop ship so you would probably be better off getting them there or somewhere else directly.

Konis are actually less and give you a rebound adjustment knob. The rears are a complete shock and then the front is a standard insert. For mounts I would go with whiteline com-c in the front and then probably just keep the stock ones in the rear. If you wanted new ones I can get KYB and then for OEM subarugenuineparts is the way to go.

I'm looking around at springs to go with them and don't see a whole lot. Tein H-techs are looking like the best option and they lower less than H&R. Or you could just replace the shocks.

You may have sold me on the Koni's. I'm thinking the mounts are necessary just from a preventative standpoint after 90k miles. Is that misguided?

I'm more just interested in the shocks since my wife is the primary driver at this point - so the goal is to just clean up the slop and replace worn out components. Already have adjustable sways on the car with kartboy links and AVO brackets in the rear, so really nicer shocks should do the trick.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

jamal posted:

No, they're not that expensive and they do get soft and crack and wear out. By the time the konis are worn out (if you still have that car) they will probably not be in great shape. I think the KYB rear mounts are like 40 ea. Then the front whitelines are something like 200 for the set and add some camber and caster along with a group n stiffness mount. It makes a huge difference in how the car turns and the front feels.

Thanks Jamal - I'll email when I'm ready to order. That sounds pretty much what I'm looking for.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

I passed a milestone for the first time yesterday.

I've had cars over 100K before, but this is the first one that I've put all of those miles on myself, and I don't think I watched any of the other cars roll over to 100000.
7 years and 1 month on an '08 Legacy GT.

Also, this morning was the first time I ever got a wave from a WRX.

Welp, I'm not far behind you. Picked mine up in Aug 07 with 7 miles on it. Though I've had another car I hit 100k+ on, but this is the first one from single digits to 100k (I'm probably low-mid 90's right now). :feelsgood:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Are you going to get the timing belt replaced? I had them do the 105K service when I took it in for the brake line recall last month. I figured if I was going to keep this for another 2 or 3 years (as planned) I should replace it.

Already done, along with koni's on all 4 corners, extra s in the trans and rear diff. :)

Now I just need to get rid of my horribly worn re760s next season. About to swap on winter tires because the weather is fuuuuuuuuucked if SSS's neck of the woods is any indication.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Think one of my front wheel bearings is toast. Timken (HA590315) is generally preferred for replacements, right? Amazon is slightly ahead of RA on cost, by about 3 bucks, so I'm indifferent.

Anything else to be aware of/be ready for? Straight forward replacement since it's a hub assembly.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

My 08 LGT is running incredibly rough at idle (to the point of nearly stalling) and misfiring on all cylinders (solid CEL and flashing cruise). I only notice this when temperature is COLD (sub 0F) and car isn't 100 % warm.

I can just run with it because winter will end someday, but it's annoying to have to clear the CEL every time my wife drives it (she doesn't catch the rough running as quickly as I do - and if you keep the revs up, no problem). Trying to think of culprits. Plugs are fairly new. I'm thinking maybe cleaning the MAF? Any other thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

My 08 LGT is running incredibly rough at idle (to the point of nearly stalling) and misfiring on all cylinders (solid CEL and flashing cruise). I only notice this when temperature is COLD (sub 0F) and car isn't 100 % warm.

I can just run with it because winter will end someday, but it's annoying to have to clear the CEL every time my wife drives it (she doesn't catch the rough running as quickly as I do - and if you keep the revs up, no problem). Trying to think of culprits. Plugs are fairly new. I'm thinking maybe cleaning the MAF? Any other thoughts?

Minor follow up on this. Was just doing some more research since I haven't been able to do anything about it, and I stumbled across a likely cause: link to probable cause

Basically, this sounds spot on. I'll probably just ignore it since winter is all but gone, and the car is going to be up for sale soon, but we'll see, might be good to fix before selling.