Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another XT checking in here.

As long as Subaru keeps making AWD vehicles with turbos I can't picture myself buying a car from any other company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TurboLuvah posted:

It begins!

Southern NH here. I love seeing both Subies in their natural environment.

Shoveled the driveway, brushed the cars off and 3 hours later that's what my yard looks like.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
new plate

Most people are going to think I'm a huge Scooby-Doo fan which is ok because I like the cartoon.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone punched my gas flap last night. Left a big row of knuckle sized dents and bent the hinge. I guess he must've been angry because I had a clean car that was all alone in my apartment's parking lot.

Thanks dude.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kageneko posted:

This weekend I went trunk swapping.

Click here for the full 1024x765 image.

Looks good. I have always loved that big STi wing.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys think of the Rally Armor URs? I want them to protect my paint in the winter but I can't decide if they're cool looking or ridiculously gaudy.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the Rally Armor opinions. I'll wait until I can find a cheap pair on NASIOC.

In other Subie news I put the SPT (Bosal) 3" catback on my WRX today. So much nicer than the cheap Magnaflow axleback I had on before. No more drone yet a much deeper sound.

When you drive through a tunnel it sounds like Satan having an orgasm.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some guy was leaning on my WRX spoiler today. I have now spent the entire day wondering if there's any hidden damage done. I hate being so neurotic over cars.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blaise posted:

:rock:

Nice. I should've hooked the GoPro up when I went out this morning. Roads looked like a drat snow rally course.

I think I might buy some Supertones tomorrow solely because I like the way they look. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yakattak posted:

I'm thinking of buying an Impreza WRX, however I refuse to buy the '02/'03 simply because of the headlights.

Boo. The bug eyes are beautiful.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to replace the front speakers in my 04 WRX but it's such a pain in the rear end trying to search through NASIOC to find good setups for older Subarus. Need the right spacers, speaker depth, size, etc.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have opinions on Group-N top hats? I'm replacing my sagging '04 WRX suspension with a very mild setup: GR-2s and Mach V (basically Prodrive) springs. If I bought the hats I would only buy the fronts, just can't decide if it's worth an extra $100 for a daily driven, non-aggressive car.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

I'm about ready to convert my OEM wheels over to winter duty, anyone have opinions on SSR Type F or Advan RS? Or should I just cheap out and get Rota DPTs instead? All three are significantly lighter than the stock wheels in 17". The JDM wheels are also hilariously difficult to find, possibly due to the tsunami.

Rota G-Forces are copies of the RS if you prefer that smaller style lip. I have gold 17x7.5 G-Forces coming in the mail right now, which I'll be using year round. I just weighed the "expensive forged JDM tyteness" vs 'cast cheapy Rotas" argument in my head and ended up choosing the latter, because if they get curbed or if I nail a pothole I'm not going to cry like I would if I damaged a beautiful expensive wheel, and these things are going to get the poo poo beat out of them in New England winters.

If you have the means though, go for the real deal.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

Should I just assume any used WRX I buy will have been tortured and near a catastrophic failure?

Not if you're patient. I bought the exact car I wanted in the exact color I wanted only 15 minutes away but it took me a month and a half to find it. Amazingly, it was a Craigslist wanted ad that brought the seller to me rather than the other way around. He was an old guy who bought the car new, never drove it and the entire thing was absolutely bone stock (original radio, everything). I guess he had been toying with selling the car, saw my ad, and a couple days later it was mine.

Don't settle for a car you know you won't be happy with.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep posted:

2008 Forester Sports 2.5 XT
Manual
STi appearance package (wheels, front lip)
45,200 miles
$21,988
Oh and it's Certified Pre-Owned if that matters.

:ohdear:

I owned one of these. Great car but I'm not sure I see the point in flying to pick one up. Inside it's the same as any other Forester. If you can find a turbo Foz locally for cheap, buy some wheels, a poly lip and the sports grille and pocket the difference.

One day when I have millions I will buy a WRB XT Foz, throw goldies on there with an STi scoop, drop it and never buy another car again.

so pretty

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dphi posted:

See, that's the problem right there. I don't think he was looking especially for the STi package - just finding an XT with a manual is very tough. And when you do find one, the owner often isn't willing to budge on the price.

Are they? I sold mine for $19,500 a year ago (private party). Was basically flawless inside and out with something like 25 or 30k miles. Be patient, deals are out there. Obviously check the https://www.subaruforester.org classifieds too, there are some good people over there.

What would cause a WRX strut to make a creaking sound at low speeds? My rear passenger strut area is creaking in stop and go traffic. The strut and spring are brand new, so I assume it's a bolt that needs to be tightened somewhere. I see tons of threads with this question at NASIOC and it's hard to find a decent answer.

kylej fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 28, 2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Lung posted:

I'm going to look at the 2006 WRX tomorrow morning, but was hoping for some quick advice. Sounds like the only mod he's done was having a subaru dealer install a cat-back exhaust. I did a lot of reading and think I finally understand what that means, but is there anything I should look out/listen for tomorrow problem-wise? Other than that he says its stock.

Cat-back is a really standard, basic mod. Helps you hear that sweet exhaust note, looks better and arguably gives you (very) minor performance gains. Subaru makes their own cat-back; it's really nothing to worry about.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had Hella Supertones installed today with the Subimods bracket. Not the greatest piece of kit if I'm honest. No hardware and no instructions. Thanks guys. The horns look great though, I am slowly joining the Subaru hivemind.

If anyone in the Boston area needs a fantastic (and dirt cheap) Subaru mech send me a PM. Second time I've used him and I can't recommend him enough.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bojanglesworth posted:

Also, since you are in Boston I thought I would shout out my good friends https://www.bostonmotorsports.com

They don't have a website but what they do have is seriously the lowest prices on everything. Hit them up.

Yeah I see them at NASIOC quite a bit. The mech I use goes by Motive over at NewEnglandSubarus.com

Reason I'm being cagey is he prefers only posting at NES and doesn't really want his name all over. Seriously great guy though, anyone in the area should give him a shot.

One redeeming part about living in this cold rear end part of the country is having plenty of Subaru people.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PaladinXT posted:

edit: can someone explain to me the attraction to hellatones? Why not just air horns? I put dual air horns on my 83 Yamaha Midnight Maxim once upon a time - worked VERY WELL.

They look cool.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where the hell are you guys in Southern NH? I live just outside of Manchester when I'm not at school in Durham.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

Milford. If you really want to track me down, google the local Subaru dealer, and you will find 20% of my household working there ;)

Good point on the stock tires, but I would think you could find something a little more "all season" that will last you a little longer.

edit: Stoke Hall 1988. Was an awesome year.

Milford is my dealer of choice (eff Manch Subaru). Stoke Hall is the same as when you left it, I assure you. That and Ham Smith won't be renovated until they collapse. They're like UNH's Colosseum.

I live in Bedford, but am sadly not part of the Dot Com-era money that flooded the place over the past decade. Can't complain though, I don't think I'll ever leave here.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So... is the new WRX/STi generation going to be for '13 or '14? Some signs point to a mid-summer launch next year, some later. Not a huge fan of the current gen STi's and am hoping the revision brings the lust back for me. A nice new WRB Sti is going to be a present to myself soon.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I'd really have to see the finished product in STi trim to decide. As a young, single guy I do appreciate a 3-door, but the car enthusiast in me feels like it's sacrilege to have modern beige Toyota development mixed in with my beloved STi.

At least Subaru seems to moving in the right direction. Never forget the '08 Impreza lineup :gonk:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cat Terrist posted:

Is 2 WRX's, one STI and one Forester enoguh Subarus?

There are 9 major stars in the Pleiades star cluster. You need 5 more for that authentic Subaru love.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone use a Cobb downpipe? Any complaints? Thinking of picking one up as a Christmas present for myself. I want to hit that , baby.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lord Gaga posted:

My 1st worked as described basically completely not able to be shifted into when not stopped.

This is the major reason why I refuse to let other people drive my car. I know it comes across as dickish, but it's impossible to explain the nuances of these weird rear end transmissions to people who aren't used to them.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

New muffler goodness. I cant wait for the DP to get installed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODwqdpz0Xbs

Very nice. DP, uppipe and tune are coming shortly for my Scoob.

jamal or other knowledgeable folks, I was reading NASIOC's uppipe FAQ, and in it they have a list of stuff to replace when installing an uppipe

quote:

OEM part names and approximate retail prices:
$15 Cross pipe, Left side
$10 Uppipe Gasket (Bottom)
$10 Uppipe Gasket (Top)
$16 Downpipe Gasket (DP to turbo)
$7 Cross pipe, Right side
$12 Manifold Gasket to the block

Gaskets I get, but what are the cross pipes?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

the exhaust manifold is made of two cast collectors joined by a steel crossover pipe. To change the up-pipe you need to at least drop the passenger side collector off (or remove the whole manifold). So you only need that crossover gasket anyhow.

opposedforces.com is handy for looking up parts:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g11/type_3/exhaust_system/exhaust/illustration_2/

although there's no part number there for some reason.

Ok cool so you don't need to replace the crossover pipe just the gaskets? That makes it easier, danke.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who was it here that knew someone or had a friend at Boston Motorsports? Just ordered a Cobb downpipe and uppipe from them. Good service A+ would buy from again.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they're pretty great. Can't complain about getting a Cobb downpipe + turbo to downpipe gasket for $550 shipped.

Speaking of Cobb and prices, why the gently caress does an Accessport cost so much? They charge more for a Chinese piece of plastic than a big metal downpipe. Trying to find a v1 for ~$200 but dealing with NASIOC kids makes me want to die. I'm going to flash my car then throw the drat thing in my closet -- maybe dust it off and get a protune this summer then throw it in my closet again. C'mon Cobb.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently my (04 WRX) input shaft seal is leaking. The case has to be opened to replace it, so is there anything else service should do while they're down there? If the dealer's going to bend me over I might as well have all the rubber bits done at the same time.

Would normally just keep an eye on the seal, but I'm getting tuned next week and I really don't want my drat transmission grenading itself on the second run because I was cheap.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chrisgt posted:

In my experience they just like to leak. The bolts can back out (had that happen), or the last time it was replaced with a lovely napa paper gasket or whatever. It's really easy to throw new gaskets in though.

I had one that would only make leak noises if I drove through a puddle when the motor was warm. I guess it cooled the exhaust in a way that made it leak, then when it heated up again it was fine. Eventually it just started leaking all the time. New gasket, and it was good to go.

A bit of cold won't kill ya :P

Yeah I just had them do it.

$9 part, $230 in labor :qq:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mulligan posted:

My plans: Axle back exhaust, Perrin airbox filter and not a drat thing done to the engine... MAYBE a better (the most conservative) tune for better economy and performance.

haha yeah sure, I was like that too. :getin:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blindjoe posted:

I have an 02 wagon and I want to put an exhaust and use the open source stage 2 tune.

I have bought an ebay downpipe and a catless uppipe.
Im not really sure how the ebay exhausts work with the cats.

Just be aware that you get what you pay for with parts. My local Subaru mech always warns against eBay parts because our salty winter roads will eat that poo poo alive.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yakattak posted:

I'm looking at a 2004 WRX sedan. They're asking for 12k, but it looks like it's got a big dent on the trunk, could I fairly talk them down? Also has 100k miles.

You can talk them down considerably. I bought my '04 WRX with 60k and absolutely no mods in perfect shape from an old guy for 12k (a year and a half ago).

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
currently assembling the next round of parts. Lots of Whiteline and TiC. I will call this the jamal collection.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thisisme posted:

Soooo I'm looking at getting a new (to me) car and would loooove a wrx. http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/2864673918.html I found this on craigslist in my area and am wondering what you guys think. Im not sure on the life of subarus and hopefully you guys can fill me in a little bit. Pleaase fill me in on what I should look for when buying a used wrx. I probably only got a 8000 to 10000 budget... Thanks

That's a hosed up RS with 170k on the clock, blown suspension, damage, rust and god knows what else. Go there and offer him $1200 if you want that car in particular.

Things to look for would be clutch, regular/major maintenance (new fluids, belts, etc), and mods. Mods do not add value to the car. Don't fall for "Oh yeah the KBB is $8k but I put $3,000 in mods into it so I'll cut you a deal at $10,500".

I'm still not quite sure how I found my WRX, I got lucky as hell with a Craigslist Wanted ad of all things.

I would check out local Subaru message boards and see what people are selling. Not sure if California has a great community, but around here there are massive amounts of Subaru enthusiasts who I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car off of.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elmwood posted:

If they can do the whole shebang -- gaskets, timing belt, and water pump -- for around $2,000, I'll make a vacation of it.

In the meantime, it's a flush and fill with OEM coolant and conditioner.

Motive in Mass could probably do that and their work is phenomenal. Motive is essentially a group of professional Subaru mechanics who do cash work on the side for the local community... Highly recommended and worth giving a call.

(978) 317 1804 - Alberto Rodriguez
or
Email - hero@motiveautoworks.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flyinglemur posted:

I like the obnoxious sound but I don't want to have that sound if there is no improvement in performance. If I could get both by adding a larger turbocharger, then that is something to consider in the future I suppose(?).

Get a new intake. I have the Cobb SF with the air box which kinda makes it a CAI. Sounds like a symphony under there. Whooshes and pffffs galore.