Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Roman Rambo posted:

After flashing "stage 1" with the Cobb AP, I've decided to take my 05 STi to stage 2 with the TurboXS stealthback exhaust (bellmouth downpipe and catted midpipe). I'd have gone full turboback exhaust but I don't want to be super loud.

Can't wait to have this put in and get a proper dyno tune.

Only speaking as a WRX owner here, but ~*stage 2*~ with a pro-tune is hilariously more fun than stock. You will enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wendigee posted:

I changed my oil for the first time (1600 miles) and.. well..

Probably never again.

You save what, 30 bucks? get filthy, risk your life crawling under your car that you jacked up in what you think is probably the right place (I am not a smart man). Finally finish only to spend 30 minutes trying to get the plastic shield thingy underneath the engine bay re-attached.

This is why I only do my own work on my motorcycle. Cars are a pain in the rear end.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

I'm tempted to start building and selling shortblocks but that can turn into a huge headache even if you do everything perfectly all the time as soon as someone grenades their motor on break in because of a bad tune or bad assembly.

Might take you up on something like this during the summer or fall if you're into it. Looking at taking the WRX into vf39 or bigger territory and want to make sure it's reliable.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally landed an STi hood scoop/splitters for a great price. Yet another excuse to throw an STi TMIC in there and start some real engine work.

Question for y'all, are there any larger/more powerful turbos that spool as quick as a tuned TD04? I wouldn't mind a larger turbo but I love hitting boost around 2600-2700rpm for daily driving. I'd like more kick but I hate winding out a car to get it to start moving.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

an 18g is probably the smallest turbo worth upgrading to. Blouch has a ball bearing version with a billet wheel called the 18g-xt-r, which combined with an equal length header would have awesome spool and be capable of ~340-350whp.

Interesting. How long until poo poo starts to break on the 5MT and 2.0L when you break 300whp? Better to do a straight engine build before bothering with a bigger turbo? If I do this, I'm going to start piecing together parts over time to stay within my budget and I hate half-assing poo poo, but also don't have tons of money to burn...

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

yes. I usually see them for more like $300.

I wouldn't worry too much at that level. The one thing about going with a little bigger turbo on a 2.0 is that it doesn't make the torque a 2.5l avcs wrx does which is much nicer on the transmission. I've also pretty much never seen a 2.0 blow a ringland like the 2.5s do. What year wrx btw? the 04-05 (maybe 03 too?) got improved crankshaft oiling and wider gears.

04. I see some people doing hybrid setups but buying used engine parts off Subaru forums = :eek:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Airbone Operation posted:

Thanks, I want to get an exhaust by the end of summer so no huge rush and I have a lot of other crap going on until then. I was personally leaning towards a turboxs catback from the clips I have heard and the price is pretty decent.

edit: what the hell is up with this company 400 bucks is pretty cheap...

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Motorsports-Catback-Exhaust-Subaru/dp/B007JZ1JZ4

You get what you pay for.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How hard is it to throw an STi Brembo package onto an old WRX? My calipers are rusted, nasty turds so I've been thinking of upgrading them, and the gold bling factor is a big selling point to me :gay: . Sometimes you can find complete sets for 700-850 bucks on eBay.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

need:
04-07 calipers (the rear 08+ stuff doesn't work)
04 sti front rotors
DBA 2657 rear rotors
wrxbrakes adapter brakets for rear calipers
wheels that fit them

:stare: gently caress that.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this isn't too weird. My buddy Hershey's car is nominated for NASIOC's current Top Scoob. If y'all could lend a vote his way it would be much appreciated.

link to thread - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309192

his car - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36553375&postcount=5

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would y'all replace gaskets that are less than 3k miles old? I swapped them out when I went ~*stage 2*~, doing a vf39 swap next weekend and wondering if they should be swapped out again.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice Leggys in here. Bren tuned one of my favorite GT's recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-g3BHBy46g

Tan colored, regular rear end looking wagon with a 2011 STi motor and a VF52 :hellyeah:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Roman Rambo posted:

I got a turboback exhaust and Grimmspeed EBCS put on my STi yesterday. Dave at Performance Auto Solutions (formerly MSPT) pro-tuned the car for 93 and now it is so much fun that I am obligated to tell you about how much fun it is at every opportunity to tell you guys that I am having fun.

Did I mention fun? Ok yeah.

Taking your car out on the road after a good pro-tune is always amazing. Two weeks until my vf39 swap and tune, very excited.

Contemplating the Killer B oil pickup + newer pan before the installs, but paying for labor to install that on top of the other stuff is just way too much right now.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fantastipotamus posted:

Sold my spec B here in the northeast a week ago or so, if anyone is looking for one (or knows someone who is). http://www.autoservtilton.com/used/Subaru/2007-Subaru-Legacy-483300a40a0d0649017ad30ae08a143f.htm

Your name wouldn't happen to be Chris would it?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fantastipotamus posted:

Nope :)

Alright, there's another guy around here who has a blacked out LGT with a lip and your same grill so I did a double take. Was going to say I've hung out with you while getting my car worked on before :o:. Good luck with the sale.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Red Hellas look great. I have a pair on my car and love them.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amandyke posted:

The first thing I did with mine was disassemble them and paint them flat black so as to not have some HURRRRR LOOK AT MY HOARNS!!!! nonsense on the front of my car.

My car is bright blue, with gold wheels, a rumbling turbo back exhaust, and pink STi lettering on it. Red Hellas are the last thing that screams "look at me" on my car ;-*

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amandyke posted:

I would humbly disagree.

Well, I do want people to look at my car because I'm vain so I guess it works out.

For those interested, my buddy Alberto is clearing out his garage and has some gently used parts (a lot for 08+ WRX/STis) for good prices. Might be negotiable too from what I've seen.

http://newenglandsubarus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrZig posted:

Do you have any pictures of this scooby?

Only lovely ones. I'll post a video from the dyno in a couple weeks in here (assuming my old clutch doesn't explode on the second pass).

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're talking about the 02-07 catback, that's made by Bosal and rebadged by SPT. I bought mine direct from the manufacturer's eBay account for under $300 shipped a couple years ago.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm looking to purchase an '04-06ish Forester soon. It'll be my daily driver and will have to traverse northern Alberta from the frozen prairies into the frozen mountains. I'm going to avoid the XT's because I don't want to pay for premium gas.

10 gallons of premium costs like $2 more than regular...

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got the vf39 tuned today. I know it doesn't pull quite as hard early on, but holy poo poo it pulls like a freight train to redline compared to my tired td04.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Impreza convertible, you say?

Edit: It's not a 2-door, though.

Hey that's my local dealer. I'm two minutes down the road and have seen that thing in the showroom many, many times. I doubt they'll ever sell it.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e. sheeit think I figured it out

kylej fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 22, 2012

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welp, got a tear in my inlet :(

My buddy recommended replacing the fuel rails and putting in phenolic spacers while the manifold is off. Your thoughts jamal?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

i would just get a perrin inlet so you don't have to take off the manifold and not bother with that stuff. no reason to replace fuel rails until like 500hp.

alright sir thank you.

Amandyke posted:

This just recently happened to me as well. Got the perrin installed and all is well (aside from it needing the tune tweaked as there was also a leak in the BOV gasket, both leaks likely have been there for a very long time... before the last tune touch up I had.)

If you have an MBC, you might need to turn it down a bit if you adjusted it at all. I was hitting my fuel cut from going over the boost target in 2nd gear.

Yeah I'm working with my mech and tuner concurrently over this issue. My car was a teensy bit low on power on the dyno last week which I'm assuming was inlet related. Hopefully.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lazor posted:

Took your advice and went to Yimisport, good bunch of guys. I just got the car back today after just over one month and just under $4k and now get to break in a 4th engine.

drat. Now I don't feel so bad about the money I've spent on my car.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Inlet replaced today. Next up is the front 02 sensor. Spending money on this car has rapidly turned from fun to exhausting.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My power steering pump failed today. I've never heard of anybody having to replace one at 75k before. I think the power I'm putting down now is forcing some early deaths on all my old rusty parts.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there was much left by the time I pulled into the dealership, it was pouring out all over the place and smelled like burnt death. I paid to have the fluid drained and refreshed in my 60k service, whether the dealer actually did it or not, I dunno. Pretty pissed off about the whole thing to be honest, but what are you going to do.

I guess I'm a bit lucky, the car was ticking all day today and starting and stopping very rough, I thought it might have been rod knock or some type of catastrophic failure. A power steering pump I can deal with.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Then you get bored and go stage 2 and it's amazing.

Then you get bored and throw a bigger turbo in it and it's amazing.

Then poo poo starts to break but you still want to throw a bigger turbo in it to feel amazing again. I'm at this part.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Throw some suspension at it.

I have new struts, springs and sways on it. I also would like to take time out to say I might be the only person here to have a bad Whiteline experience. Their rear adj swaybar wouldn't fit on the middle setting with an SPT catback, I had to put it all the way back on the "loosest" adjustment to clear the exhaust. Pretty lame.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could be the case, although there were no fitment issues when installing the catback or when mating it with a new downpipe. The SPT is one of the most conservatively sized exhausts, too. Not a big deal either way.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Plus getting a dyno tune is fun as hell. My last tune, we must've had 10 Subarus there all hanging out to show support for a community guy who was trying to put down 400+whp for the first time. Lawn chairs next to the dyno, fancy cars all over the place, fast food, it's a good time.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really want to swap a 6 speed in.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a Dodge.

jamal/Subaru people, how's running an EWG on a daily driver? My tuner says they provide great results but can be a little... offputting for regular use.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

Loud as poo poo. I get annoyed just taking a car with one around the block for a test drive. If you have it plumbed back into the downpipe it's not any louder but that's usually an hour or two of fabrication. And while it does make the turbine side more efficient, you are still blowing really hot air our of the compressor. So after buying the new up-pipe, ewg, and having dump tube fabbed you are pretty far toward a bigger turbo.

thanks jamal. I think I'm just going to spend the money instead on an STi tranny swap because I am a mentally slow adult.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wheel talk? I know it would be very poser-ish but gottdamn I would love the RC-G4s in Gold in 17s :( Enkei only produces them in 15 inches.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
$55 for the S U B A R U letters on the back of the pre-06 WRX trunk? C'mon Subaru, you're busting my balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

If I ever heard of a cause for a junkyard run.

when you buy them new they come in a long adhesive strip which makes it a lot easier to install. Individually placing letters on a trunk and actually making them look good... too hard for my dumb rear end