Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

MMD3 posted:

:/

so... say it's just reverse that's fubar'd can somebody give me a general rundown of how the reverse gear works? What is a ballpark estimate on parts and labor for something like this.

edit: I dropped by the dealership on the way home and a service guy hopped in and listened to it. He says he's pretty sure it's the transmission mount and there should be a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. I'm going to drop it off at the shop in the morning, here's hoping it's covered by warranty and I dodged a bullet. The car is a 2005 with 39,800 miles.

Anyone have any idea of how much a transmission mount is to fix if it isn't under warranty?

Isn't powertrain coverage until 60k miles anways??

Mr. Powers posted:

I think I will be stopping by Village Subaru this weekend.

Dooo eeeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Turbo Car posted:

Stock RS transmission with a VF43 @ 300awhp.

Run away.

Chances are that car is going to need a tranny soon, I know the older RS 5 speeds were stronger than the 02+ WRX, but it's living on borrowed time at those power levels.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Turbo Car posted:

It's not hard to get the WRX as fast as an STi for cheaper than just buying one. It's just not going to be as comfortable at that level. You're right: it is fun tuning it bit by bit, but it will become an addiction.

Not comfortable at that level? What do you mean? The "comfort," of an STi compared to say a Stage 2 WRX (which is as fast or faster than an STi) is relatively the same, except the suspension in the STi is harsher.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

nm posted:

Sweet, I get to buy a new LCA (and hopefully only that, pray for my coilovers) for my LGT.
Why'd they have to put a curb there?

Thats $200-300 I'll never get back

So you were whipping around in the snow in an empty lot, nailed a curb and bent the poo poo out of your LCA? :)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I finally got word from the dealership that Saab is sending out a brand new transmission to take care of my reverse skipping/clicking issue in my 92x aero.

Wooh! What do I need to know about breaking in a new transmission?

See? Told you the warranty should take care of everything :)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

True.

I just find it amusing how a few little changes can make a car much more desirable. A year ago I was set on replacing my 2002 WRX with an STI, but now I'm just not finding it as compelling for the price premium.

Oh well, the car IS getting old. I bought it December 15th, 2001 (it was built in july), so I will have owned it for 7 years on Monday. Just clocked over 87,000 miles. It had 22 when I drove off the lot.

You have an 02 WRX with drums in the rear?? I thought they came with discs in the rear, I've never seen one with rear drums.

Also I have an 02 with 78k on it, and the only thing that it's needed so far has been brake pads and regular various fluid changes, it runs like a top. Weird.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 9, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

dreggory posted:

The rear drum brake is the hand/parking brake.

Ahh gotchya, I was so confused for a moment :)

Edit: bull3964 you've cursed me. This morning when I drove my car the parking brake didn't have the racheting noise when you pull it up and now it feels like it's holding very loose. Get away from my car! :argh:

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 10, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

The car somehow never had the fogs installed, so they are doing that. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get it until after the weekend because I'm moving. I also forgot my copy of my lease here in Franklin, so I have to wait until Monday to do all the registration.

Took long enough!

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

And it's still not over!

I need to get my lease, fax it to Village, take lease and bill of sale to Nashua town hall to get temp plates and application for registration, call insurance company to get binder faxed to Village, bring application for registration back to Village for them to fill out, and then I have to send in my paper work for vanity plates. All the while moving from the MA/RI border to the NH/MA border and finishing my last week of work where I am now.

Goddamn, should have made the dealer do all that legwork for you.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

nm posted:

How the hell does everyone burn out thier LGT clutches so fast?
I'm at 60k mi with track days and autocrosses and I can still "accelerate" (using the term loosely) from 15mph in 5th with no slip. Also, my first manual.

(Crap, there's now a new clutch in my future isn't there)

Mine went out at 65k, but I'm sure the PO abused it at some point, and with 280whp and me driving the poo poo out of it, it wasn't long for this world.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

nm posted:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/index.jsp?from=topNav

I'd note that my UOAs on my LGT are indicating that Subaru's 7500mi oil recommendation is optimistic even with higher-end synth (though this involves track days, auto-x and general jackassery)

I still change my oil every 3k on the clock no matter what, in any of my cars :)

MMD3, if you can talk them into it and you have a 2.5 turbo motor, try and get them to check the AVCS/oil line banjo filters for clogging, just in case.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Yes, what you felt in the brake pedal was the ABS engaging. Feels weird the first time you experience it.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I've never spun my tires so they can't be that horrible. does anyone actually have any reviews that prove they're the shittiest thing ever or something?

Trust everyone when they say better tires are worth it. I didn't believe it until I got some high performance summer tires, and the difference is incredible, I am now a convert. At that to a nice set of Nokian winter tires, and I'm now a firm believer in the "buy better rubber immediately if possible," crowd.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

quotin myself here

realistically how big of a problem is this and is it really that hard/expensive to fix/get fixed?

the guy is taking it to a mechanic to get a diagnosis of the cause of the issue... I really liked the car but I don't want to buy something that's going to die in 6 months or cost me a lot of money

Yeah I would keep looking, my money is it's losing compression due to a blown head gasket somewhere. You can easily replace the head gaskets if you know what you're doing, but it's not going to be just like changing your oil, and you could run into problems like warped heads that need to be resurfaced.

It could also be that the valves aren't seating properly so it's not holding proper compression, or the piston rings aren't sealing completely. Both of which will not be an easy fix, I suggest either looking for a new car or having the mechanic fix it and then do another leakdown/compression test. Older Subarus are a dime a dozen, I would just look for another, there's nothing too special about that car, except that you really want it now.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Thanks, I'll keep looking I guess

It's just so hard to find a mid 90's subaru in a manual, non-turbo version that hasn't been thrashed, crashed or modded by loving morons around here.

Meanwhile, I can't sell my 99 5sp Forester in crazy good shape for the life of me :smith:

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Car looks awesome dude :) Get some daylight snaps!

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

It begins!

10 minutes after this was taken a woman driving a Toyota Avalon spun out, and some guy in a Silverado (the one you can barely see in that photo) flying down the left lane panic braked, and just plowed into her front end, spinning her, and someone else in the other lane then nailed her.

Then on another on-ramp, an 80 year old man in a Prius almost creamed me from behind, but I saw him skidding and got the hell over out of the way just in time for him to slide up onto the curb, and look at me all surprised. Slow the gently caress down you retard it wasn't my fault!

Everyone in Massachusetts stay off the roads! There are so many shitheads out driving right now it's not even funny.

My plan is to chill out and wait until about 1am when no one is out driving, then go and find some empty parking lots :q:

Edit: These Nokians were worth every penny. I forgot how awesome they are in the snow, especially when it comes to braking.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Probably a little too late to ask this, but anyone thing I'll have issues with 205/60/16 snows on stock WRX suspension and stock WRX 16" wheels?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

taqueso posted:

Buy some 15" steel wheels off craigslist, it should be easier to find tires and Les Schwab will swap them for free each season.

Nooo, I'm asking if they'll fit on the stock 16"s without rubbing much. I don't want to get a set of 15" steelies for the car I don't even know what Les Schwab is.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

taqueso posted:

My mistake. I don't know if they will rub first hand, but google reports they will work fine. (Les Schwab is a tire store, apparently only in the NW)

I'm goign to see if Town Fair Tire (which I think is probably like Les Schwab) will do the tire changeover free or something.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

8ender posted:

I discovered yesterday that if you go WOT on really deep snow there will be a delay of about 2 seconds as all four tires dig down through a couple of inches of snow and then you'll take off. Its about the funnest and most cartoony fun you can possibly have with a car.

If you have god snow tires try this. Bring the revs up to like 4k in the snow, and just sidestep the clutch, you'll spin and then just take off like a freight train :q:

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

I'll sell you a sweet 99 Forester S with all maint. records and fresh WP and TB for $5800 :q: Only caveat is it's currently in MA.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

CC won't work and the light will flash as a result of the car throwing a CEL code. You can scan them for free at Autozone or I believe you can use your Accessport if you have one.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 27, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Got a chance to try out the new General Altimax Artic tires today, goddamn are they awesome. I would say they are at least comparable to the Nokian Hakka RSIs they replaced, if not better, especially in slush. And for how much they cost, at $65/tire, MUCH cheaper. The taller sidewall and thinner size (205/60/16) fit fine without any rub anywhere at full lock, and they look gnarly as hell on there as well :q:

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

Did you get those online somewhere? I'll need to replace my winters next year, I think, and those sound like they offer decent grip at a good price. Also provided they're offered in 17" sizes.

I got them off of TireRack, but after looking again it looks like they only have 235/45/17s and they're like $105 a pop.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

choo choo posted:

I think the saying goes something like "Turboing a 2.5NA is a lot like buttsex with your GF. They'll take it, but they don't really want to."

You're dating the wrong girls :q:

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

flu1d posted:

Just get it! I've hard launched my 07 STi so many times I lost count. 22k miles and still going strong! (Right CV joint went a couple months ago; but it's all covered under warranty :) )

oh and don't do this...

You/This is the reason you don't buy a used STI.

Just Another XY posted:

No, I wish I did. :)

But I figured I was being an idiot anyways. Okay, back to dealershipland.
This is my first car that requires 91 octane, so I'm still a bit on the wall about that...

The fact that the car requires 91 octane over 89 octane should have no bearing on whether or not you buy the car. The price difference is pretty much a non-factor. The only reason this should affect your decision is if you live in an area where you cannot get 91 oct easily.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

I've done the Jazzy mod in both my 05 LGT wagon and my 02 WRX wagon, and both times it took less than 25 minutes. No soldering, you just need a silent CD.

I went with an Alpine HU in my Forster with the iPod cable, but it was a pain in the rear end controlling the iPod through the Alpine HU interface, and it annoyed the piss out of me so I went back to the Jazzy mod.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Dr JonboyG posted:

Can you post a pic please? I'm looking for a solution for our 92x that will add aux in and let me use my iPhone without looking hideous and as you know the Aero is double DIN.

LGT fitment parts are different than the 9-2x, you would need to use WRX compatible DIN stereo components.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Looks like poo poo.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

TeamIce posted:

So I've decided to put some serious power into my Legacy GT - I've already got a Perrin catless uppipe, Perrin catted downpipe, and Perrin top mount intercooler sitting in my garage (Haven't installed any of these yet). I figure that since I'm going to have the install professionally done, I might as well go whole hog, and just replace the turbo while I've at it - I've got a Deadbolt 18G on order. I figure with all this and a proper tune, I should be pushing around 320 horsepower at the wheels.

While I'm doing all of this, should I replace the catback exhaust too? I've generally regarding CBE as a somewhat unnecessary modification, but I figure it might help the new turbo breathe a bit better. My train of thought in this is since I'm going to need to pay for a tune for my Accessport, I might as well do all the mods at once and only need to buy a single tune.

I had as Greddy SP2 catback on my wagon and loved the poo poo out of it.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

hedgegnome posted:

Can someone tell me about cheapo ebay downpipes? I really want a new one, but really dont want to spend $500. Theres tons of downpipes on ebay in the 100-150 range, which is much better. Same thing with headers, too. I realize they may not be made as well as the name brands, but I can deal with that for that big a price difference.
Will I hate myself if I get this http://tinyurl.com/a6yh33 and this http://tinyurl.com/8cdqtg ?

Oh, this is going on my 2004 Forester XT :)

Those headers will probably crack at the welds in no time short, and probably be more of a pain in the rear end than they're worth (even a lot of name brand headers have cracking issues). Don't know if DPs have common failure points, but I could see fitment problems. Might want to check over at NASIOC and search to see if anyone has had luck with eBay downpipes and/or headers, and see what the experiences have been.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Some hoonage :q: It's surprisingly harder to do donuts with new snow tires on, there's a shitload of traction.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

ub818 posted:

I see Dollar Tree, I see Rent-a-center... where's the pawn shop and/or instant cash store to round out the trifecta? (I'm assuming its just outside of the photo range)

I don't have pics but I did celebratory donuts at the intersection of my exit. The snowmobiler's gave me thumbs up; the trail runs right down one road.

Don't forget the "CASH 4 GOLD," store as well. And yes there is a pawn shop in that strip mall plaza haha :) Gotta love Springfield!

"[ELP posted:

"]
I'm really just depressed, I haven't even put 2000 miles on my '02 WRX and the Rod bearings are going :| I had the rod deathknock pretty bad about 5 miles from my house one night and had to get her towed home. There's another 2k+ down the drain. :| Had the car checked out before I bought it, but I guess dems da breaks.

I had a bad feeling about that car when you were posting about it :( Sorry duder. Buuuut, look on the bright side, time for a built motor and some forged internals :q:

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

MMD3, I remember everyone saying to ditch the crappy tires... :) At least it looks like there wasn't really any major damage, thank god.

Also, holy poo poo that must have been an interesting 4 seconds, that's a huuuuge ditch.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 28, 2009

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Disciple of Pain posted:

I will be focusing on 03-04 Outback Wagons with a 5sp. Good news is that all Outbacks from 2003-2006 have the cold weather package as standard. That means heated windshield, seats, mirrors, and... a rear LSD.

You should buy my 99 Forester 5MT and ship it to Denver :q:

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

seriously? no Subaru specialty shops in Pittsburgh? that's kind of shocking, we have at least one in Portland as well as several Subaru tuning shops. I guess the difference is that there are a ton of Subarus in the PNW.

There should be an absolute poo poo ton of Subarus in Pennsylvania as well, they're all over the North East.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Jesus. How the hell did this happen again?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

You said it had 60k on it. Might be worth a try to call SOA and POLITELY (don't be a dick it will get nowhere) see if they can do anything about it. Tell them you like Subarus and this is your xth Subaru and you plan on buying another 09, and see if they will work with you at all. I've had very good luck with them and problems right around warranty expirations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

koopatrooper posted:

B) buy an already modded car and have the work and labor off my head, at risk with the guy having hosed up the job

No. Try to find as stock a car as you can, and go from there.