Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Yes, the head gaskets WILL go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Arwox posted:

So I took that 2002 impreza wagon out for a test drive and loved it.

Only two things were notable. The gear selector (automatic) would groan whenever I would go from park to drive or anything. The transmission was fine while I drove along, it wouldn't get hung up anywhere, it was just noisy.

Also from under the hood I could hear a noticeable 'tinging' sound when accelerating from low revs (it also had a low idle about 600). It would only happen from 800 to about 1200 rpm, then go away completely.

To my untrained ears these didn't sound too terrible, but I have no clue what I'm listening for.

Any red flags popping up?

Does it sound like any red flags are popping up to you?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Arwox posted:

Hey thanks for an answer to the question I asked, it was filled with content and information I found very helpful.

Sorry to be a dick, I guess it was a little, uh, blunt there. You really only asked if there were any RED FLAGS, these are all red flags that someone who knows nothing about cars should avoid, you didn't ask really what the causes are. That, or get someone more mechanically inclined to look at the car.

The "tinging," sounds like pre-detonation, commonly referred to as pinging. Could be something as simple as worn plugs or hosed wires, or the ignition timing could be off in extreme cases (rare). Could also be low grade/bad gas, or poo poo loads of carbon build up in the combustion chamber. Could also be something weird like the timing belt tensioner as well.

Groaning tranny when put in gear could be who knows what, low/poo poo fluid, something is up with the center diff (not positive if the auto trannys have center diffs like the 5MT or if it's a different design). poo poo shifter linkage maybe?

When you're looking at buying a used car from a third party, and you don't know much or anything about cars, it's usually wise to bring it to a reputable mechanic, or in this cars a Subaru dealer, to give it a once over and try to catch any potential problems. Buy a car with a groaning tranny because it doesn't sound that bad, and then 2000 miles later it grenades while on a long trip and you're out ~$2k. Or use said problems to negotiate a much lower price and then have it repaired if it's necessary.

If you don't want to have it checked out, or have any car friends, it's usually wise to stay away from any car with any "red flags," totally. See if the seller has any maintenance history.

Edit: also, watch the mileage, the timing belt is due at 105k on these cars, and an 02 will probably be fairly close to this mileage by now.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 8, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Goddamn, I would have just driven that trashbag until it exploded and not even bothered, Christ that thing is a mess hahaha.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Crosspost from the Craigslist thread. You guys have to check this out:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/1727784913.html

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

BoostCreep posted:

Stage 2

Get it protuned by someone who knows what they are doing. It will run so much better.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Captain Crabsticks posted:

bonus pic of my bitchin sidepipe and terrible peice of scrap (gently caress you TurboLuvah) the badge is going on

Ahahahaha love you too :angel:

Also, don't know how I feel about the badges yet, I'll have to check them out in person on cars.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 4, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Thanks, now all I have to do is wait for them to release the drat things.

I'm really starting to notice the age of my 02 this year :(. Some of the cloth on the driver's seat has gotten really thin and has even developed a hole in one spot. I mean, for the most part it looks to be in phenomenal shape for a 9 year old car, but it's still a 9 year old car.

Ehh no biggie, just grab a seat locally off of NASIOC, $150 and an hour later, good as new.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

nm posted:

I tried to have a dealer do it right after I bought it, but I don't think they did it.
I was a lazy fucker, and I used synthetic with low OCIs. I'm not sure oil starvation actually caused my issue though. I'll find out when I get it off in a while.

I remember having them pull both banjo bolts on mine as soon as I had to chance just so I didn't have to have that freaking out in the back of my head.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

azflyboy posted:

Hopefully this isn't something for the "Stupid car questions" thread...

My 03 Forester (about 56k on the clock, 5 speed) has started making strange noises from the front suspension, but only in a specific temperature range.

If the outside temperature is between about 30 and 60 degrees, something in the front suspension makes a loud "chirp!" sound if I hit a sharp bump like a frost heave or pothole.

The ride quality is perfectly fine when the noise occurs, the springs and struts look fine from what I can see, and doing a "bounce test" on the front bumper doesn't produce the noise and doesn't indicate anything abnormal with the struts rebounding.

I've checked to see if there's anything loose under the hood, and that didn't turn up anything either.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

End links/end link bushings? Front end bushings somewhere?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

quadpus posted:

Got my first Subaru as well. 1993 Impreza with 175k. Everything seems quite solid mechanically, I'm pretty happy.

Looking forward to some nice roadtrips and screwing around on logging roads!

What are my aux input options with a factory stereo? is there an input for satellite or a cd changer?

-brad

As a general rule, don't bother signing your posts.

For AUX inputs on the factory stereo, there will be no options. To get a CD changer, grab a 6 disc headunit from a later WRX (~$50) they will fit and plug in. If you want aux in with the 6 disc changer, you will need to get a Jazzy Mod aux in kit. Works great.

If you want satellite radio, aux input options, etc., it would probably be easier just picking up a new headunit and installing it. You can get a nice full featured headunit with what you want for ~$120.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mutar posted:

Harbor Freight has little rubber caps for their jackstands, I put those on and it seems to help with the whole not crushing the pinch welds. Not sure if there's a better way, but it works well enough for me.

Hockey pucks. Cheap as hell, buy a few and you'll be set.

bull3964 posted:

Andrewtech cocktail 3qts Redline Lightweight Shockproof and 1 qt Motul 300

This tranny fluid combination worked great in my 5MT for the ~35k miles I ran it, and got rid of some light grinding, I would recommend it to anyone with a 5MT Subaru.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 9, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

poo poo double post :(

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

Why would I want to return oil? gently caress opec! I'm keeping it for myself!

Content:

Long term planning for my LGT (08 5mt for reference).

It's my DD, and I love it. But, I'm thinking I'd like to get it to the 300hp mark.
After getting a raise at work, I think I can start slowly sourcing parts over the next year or so. Current "power mods" are basically limited to a K&N panel filter and a cat-back.

You can hit almost 300whp on the VF40, you don't need a VF52. Mine made 289whp/297wtq with stock injectors, Perrin intercooler, catless up, catless bellmouth DP and a protune.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

I know the VF46 (which is stock on mine) has slightly different flow curves due to the housing, and I already have a catless UP stock. So maybe I just go with the TMIC, DP and tune. Then if the turbo does go, I can do the upgrade down the line. It would be cheaper short term.

You're in MA/NH aren't you? Where did you get it tuned? A bunch of people up here go to EFI - is that where Mike from formerly TDC went?

Yeah I am in MA, I have heard EFI was good, Mike from TDC was the guy who initially tuned my car.

I would recommend DSG for tuning needs, they were awesome when I had my LGT and WRX, and everyone else seems to love them too.

That was my plan too, push the stock snail as far as I could go, and replace it when/if it blows. Also, might want to pull the screens in the banjo bolts on the oil lines while you are at it for some peace of mind.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Bob Log posted:

Skip the up-pipe altogether or do you mean I shouldn't spend on it. I already have the up-pipe from my 02 which I was told will fit the 11 without issue.

What intake are you recommending? Sounds like a plan to me but I dunno where you work so I dunno how to order it from ya.

Edit: Still selling my 02 wrx parts on I-Club here: http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223033

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to replace the up-pipe, as from '06+ they were catless.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

nm posted:

I just want this. Jesus Subaru, the LGT was new in 2005, no one told you people wanted this? (Yes, i own a Jazzy aux-in, but I'm too lazy to take apart the dash and too scared to take apart the radio.)

Oh man it only takes maybe an hour at most, do it, it works great!

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

dayman posted:

After 9 months of being inert, my car coughed again to life this afternoon. Now it goes up for sale :(

The hell? Why was it sitting for 9 months, what was so bad?

Goddamn dude :(

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Bob Log posted:

Do you honestly think that particular choice is going to fix that problem? I sure doubt it.

I'm sad to hear about your baby, but subarus are generally far more reliable overall even when modded than a GTO. I do know what you mean though as my 02 has been nothing but problems and I decided to sell it off to buy a new 2011. Although I had a prominent Subaru mechanic/Tuner scam me out of money and build me a defunct engine that ended up costing me over 12k and am in legal proceedings with him over it. So I more than had my fill.

Swapped car will never be as reliable as a factory machine.

That's why, while as badass as they are, I've always told everyone to stay away from swaps (especially JDM stuff w/ regards to crappy USDM emissions BS), and start with a better factory platform to work with (WRX) to avoid all the eventual headaches.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Amandyke posted:

And looks to die for! :downsrim:

Are you kidding me? That car is 10x better looking than anything Subaru makes, and I loves me some Subaru.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Tremblay posted:

T6 is good poo poo, I've sent two samples off to Blackstone after runs of 6000 and 8000 miles. They said to go ahead and try 9000 next time. PM me if you want to see the reports.

Echoing the Rotella synth love, both my LGT and WRX ran this and consumed pretty much nothing between oil changes.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Isaac Asimov posted:

I have an '05 Saabaru 2.0T, and I'm not sure which 'vehicle' I should choose from the drop down on the Jazzy mod site. Does it really matter? I can't remember if the '05 saabaru is equal to the <'04 or >'05 WRX.

Page in question: http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=44

2005/06 Impreza 6CD (P-133).

Take your time and be patient, it's easier than it looks.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Am I weird for not thinking the 2011 wrx is all that bonkers fast? I've got a buddy with an 06 TR running a cobb ots stage 2 w/catted dp and it pulls way harder than the 2011.

That said, have you seen the power numbers Cobb is claiming with their OTS stage 2 map? poo poo balls man!

And that's with their overly safe, lots of room to improve upon OTS map!

Should be around ~280ish whp/~330ish wtq with a protune, drat nice numbers on the VF52.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

So, after about 700 miles on my new '11 WRX, I figure I would post some impressions.

I took the more scenic route to DC on Friday. Turnpike to New Stanton, 119 down to Uniontown, RT 40 to 68 though Cumberland until I got to 70.

Route 40 was by far the highlight of the trip. I had such a huge shiteating grin on my face by the time I made it to 68. Especially while it's still in PA, it has steep hills and some pretty decent turns. I went though around 10:30 at night and had no one in front of me for the most part so I just went for it. The car was rewarding to say the least. It felt a lot more planted and less twitchy than my '02 and the lower end torque was really apparent on the steep hills. 68 was no slouch either through Cumberland, nice highway twisties.

On the highway stretches the car settled down and was a ton quieter than my '02 and not nearly as harsh on the road. One thing I was finding though that between the power, the smoother feel, and the lower amount of noise; my butt speedo was inaccurate by about 10mph. When I though I was cruising at 70, I was doing 80. When I thought I goosed it just a little for a pass, I looked down and was pushing 90. I had to be real careful of my speed for a few stretches.

One downside, the seats. I mean, they look fine and are ok, but I could round the world 100 times in my '02 seats and not feel it but I was getting a little lower back fatigue by the 4th hour in the new car. The pedal position is a little different too which was causing my ankle to feel a bit strained. The brake pedal feels higher than the accelerator where they were virtually the same height on my '02.

In all though, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

I ran across an '11 Plasma Blue STI sedan on 70 when I was driving back on Sunday. I was just cruising slightly faster than him and went for the pass but he decided he was having none of that and took off. I don't like to play on public roads so I just hung back and shadowed him for awhile at a distance. About 10 minutes later, out came the blue lights and he was on the side of the road with a state trooper behind him. Oops.

Sounds like you'r loving your '11. I think I'll look at one when I get my next "new," Subaru.

I absolutely loved the stock seats in my '02, sucks that the new ones seem less comfortable. Wish there was an option for those JDM STI seats, they look incredible.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Ooooo if that Saabaru were closer I would have bought it already

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

On the one hand I'd say keep driving it - but it IS shattered glass and pieces are still going to be falling down now that the structure has been compromised. I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm not too inclined to drive when there's the potential for shards flying around my face

Meh, just throw some ski googles on and have at it :q:

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

I had mine done at the dealership after I read about it. I was having ABS issues where it would go insane when braking over small patches of sand outside my apartment complete, or anything gritty like lots of stones or rocks. It seemed to almost eliminate the problem altogether, but I didn't really get a long time to get a feel for it, I sold my '02 PSM wagon 2 weeks later.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Yeah $6k is a good price for what you're getting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

chucky.z posted:

What's AI's thoughts on Legacy GT's?

I've got a stage 2 one right now, and I'm about to put in an up-pipe. :)

I love it, but I'm a little scared of grenading my trans.

Also trying to determine, do I do some springs, or go straight to coilovers? I have a decent source for some very affordable BC coils.

I had a 5MT LGT limited wagon, Stage 2 with catless up-pipe and Greddy SP2 catback, made 280whp/301wtq on a protune.

Also had coilovers on it, the ride was too rough for a minimal improvement in handling over the other set I had on (not stock) but the adjustable-ness was nice.

Clutch nuked itself after 60k (previous owner beat on it I think) and the dealer replaced it; never had any problems with the trans at all it was rock solid.