Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
To those praising stock WRXes, why the hell would you want to keep it stock? Even just a tune really wakes the engine up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

CharlesM posted:

15% in the front seems a little dark to me. In the back it's not so bad. The best thing to do is always keep your mirrors and windows clean so you get a clear view.

I had 5% on mine when I bought it. I just took it off because I couldn't see poo poo out of them in the winter. It sucks to have to roll down the window 4" to back out of a parking spot at night.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

hedgegnome posted:

To those of you who have driven both, how similar is the xt to a wrx?

The Forester STI is extremely close in performance to the WRX STI, so it can be made to handle quite nicely. However, stock-to-stock, I'm sure the WRX is much better.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Nostratic posted:

For you guys with a WRX, in general, what's your insurance cost like?

Right now my wife and I pay about $110/month for the Highlander and Tundra, and I'm sure it'll cost more than that. We've got no accidents or anything on our record, no tickets for a few years, etc.

These things aren't exactly cheap to insure, I pay double what I did to insure a 2003 Jetta GLS.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

ALL that said though, getting behind the wheel of that car was like putting on a well broken in pair of shoes. It just felt so familiar. I instantly settled in and took off as if I've been driving it instead of my own for the past 9 years. That basically took the experience over the top. I wasn't just driving a new car, I was driving my car as if it were designed and built brand new in 2011.

You post is exactly what I felt today. My 07 WRX is probably going to be totaled ( :'( ). So I was out shopping for a replacement. I went to a dealership, initially looking at a Legacy wagon, but decided to take a 09 WRX for a drive. And wow. It feels like the same car, just with every little thing fixed. As you said, the engine no longer stutters < 2k RPMs, the seat material is nicer, the climate control knobs are superb, etc. The amount that they refined the engine was absolutely stunning.

However, I took an 08 LGT out for a drive, and drat was it nice too. Neither cars had the umph of my old one down low (it has intake, OS tune, & turbo-back), but damned if they didn't both haul more rear end on the freeway. I'm sure they are both substantially more aerodynamic.

Now I'm torn, the LGT is substantially cheaper -- 19k list versus 25k for the WRX -- but I like the feel of the WRX better. Someone has to explain to me why the LGT isn't at all a compromise. All these talks of 300WHP on the stock turbo are certainly helping.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm going to put my 2007 WRX up for sale this week. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to insure her and go to college at the same time. Fortunately, there aren't any non-STI ones for sale. However, this also means I have nothing to price it against.

So, what should I price me car at? KBB says 12.5 - 14.5.

2007 WRX
WR Blue Mica
5 speed
Open source "stage two" with an intake.
New tires and semi-new (this spring) front brakes.
Body is fine; minor chips on the front and a few small dings around.
Interior is immaculate.

The catch is, the car was in an accident that damaged the driver's side rear of the car. The car drives fine but the the driver window whistles slightly.

Edit: 73,000 miles

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 22, 2010

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Just Another XY posted:

Also, at what point should I shove winter tires on? It's hovering around 30º, but there's no snow. Put them on now and just relax if snow does (or doesn't) fall?

I don't know about Illinois, but in Ohio, I usually put mine on over Thanksgiving break. The one time I didn't and tried to go out on my summers in a snow fall, I drat near slid through an intersection and got t-boned; never again.

There is no relaxing when you rear end in a top hat is clenched up tight enough to turn coal into a drat diamond. Put your winters on ASAP.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Franco Caution posted:

Id be pissed if I bought a 2011 STI and then found out the 2012 is coming with direct injection and an extra 30-40hp. (Im sure 08 WRX owners know the feeling Im talking about when the 09 WRX news was announced)

You're going to be saying that until the end of time. Just pull the trigger on the STI. If Subaru does decide to improve it (they probably won't), then you will still have the option of modding. Stage 2 still gives some healthy gains, and there are plenty of drop in turbo upgrades for around a grand.

Get the STI. It is definitely worth the extra $8k.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Slow is Fast posted:

I think I blew up the used transmission I swapped into my 02 RS in September. Got some axle binding turning in a parking lot, now it's making a hellish sound whenever I'm rolling. I'm sick of loving transmission issues.
Subaru/Flannel chat: I'm sick of loving transmission issues.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I bet you could find someone who replaced the stock exhaust on their WRX sedan and is selling their stock one - that'd be a nice upgrade. The stock WRX sounds a lot deeper and growlier than I had expected.

Good call. It should be even louder on an N/A. I was surprised the first time I heard SPT exhaust on an RS because it was significantly louder than on a WRX.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

VolumeBroadcast posted:

and a lot of internet bitching.

This is basically all NASIOC is. If you venture into the "Funny things you've heard about your Subaru" thread, you'll see people bitching about/making fun of the most pedantic things.

:raise: Why does your car make a funny sound when you shift?
:smugbert: WHAT?!? You've never heard of a blow off valve before? Don't you know poo poo about cars?
:smugbert: She probably doesn't even know what wheels are. I made the bitch walk home.
:smugbert::hf::iamafag:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

I actually saw the 60k turbo lifespan mentioned over on the legacygt.com forums.

The catalytic converter before the turbo likes to break into chunks on modified LGTs. When they go, they take the turbo with them. But, the turbo isn't a wear item, they almost always last for the life of the engine.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

CrazyLittle posted:

yeaaaah. If you guys are telling him that even small amounts of snow or slush call for a set of snow tires, why did I get a different answer when I would be driving in similar conditions around Lake Tahoe?

They just said get a used set of wheels and tires, not necessarily snow tires. My old WRX went through blizzards and up pretty step ice and snow covered driveways on stock all seasons (the lovely RE92s). The one (and only) time I attempted to get by on summer tires after a snow resulted in me drat near sliding into an intersection.

Summer tires literally turn into hockey pucks below 40 degrees. But, the amount of snow required to get a Subaru on newer all-seasons stuck on public roads is much more than you're likely to ever see.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cat Terrist posted:

How the hell they can sell cars as cheap in the USA is a good question full stop.

It could be zero percent financing and the constant rolling over of negative equity into new car purchases every two years keeps the cars cheap.

You should promote fiscal irresponsibility in your country so that you can have cheap cars too!

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I went with some cheap Raybestos pads from RockAuto and they worked just fine -- even for autox. The only thing to watch out for is the OEM rotors have the hubs painted black. When I bought new rotors, the hubs weren't painted and they rusted. It doesn't really negatively affect performance, but it looked terrible with black wheels.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Amandyke posted:

Isn't it usually that the older you get the better of a sports car you can afford?

This is pretty much the only reason to keep living past 35. You may gain weight and lose some hair, but at least you can afford a 'Vette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sockington posted:

Which car crashes more often to supply the parts market?

Weren't WRXes like 60-70% of overall Impreza sales in the U.S. as well?