Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004
I've had a few Subies over the years. Bought my first one in 01 as a winter beater. Loved it so much I sold the Jetta I was saving from salt, it still rusted away while stored.

91 Legacy wagon. 2.2 liter bullet proof motor. I'd let it sit unloved for 4 months at a time and it would fire up on the first turn of the key.

Construction sites can be fun

Winter is even more fun

Moved "up" to a 97 Legacy GT with infamous 2.5 headgasket queen motor. Didn't even get to have it blow, pulley siezed and took the valves with it on the first year of ownership, replacing the heads bought me a headgasket job thank you very much.

Still was a riot to drive when working properly.

Considered doing a WRX swap and decided to just buy a 2.5 turbo and be done with it. Showing my love of lesbians and desire to move large square objects I bought this 05 XT

Which soon turned to this

and was very much fun here

Until some aholes stole it and did this (on the same week after I put on the wheels with brand new 615's.

So I replaced it with this 07 XT Sports

Which is even more fun doing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Does that Subie in the back there have a roof scoop mod?

Yes. He's been slowly turning it into a rally car. Started off as a 94L with 1.8 I believe , has a Ver 6 ? in it right now. In the past year he caged it and I think he ran his first rally this summer.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

when these STI's with loads of suspension mods get beaten by the stocker..... I dont see the point. It fits my belief you learn how to drive the rear end off the car and it will reward you far beyond what you will expect it can.

I very much agree. I learned to drive on the track with the 97 Legacy, 220km on the mushy suspension and all. Lapped more than one modded WRX and STi along the way. Push a car to its limits THEN start modding it.

Here's the 05 on OEM suspension at a race school, in the rain no less. Instructors laughed at it when I first pulled up then after a few lap sessions everyone wanted to come for a ride. I will admit while its not bad at the track OEM Forester supsension is insane on a Solo II course especially a slalom.

Can't say I was as concerned about running Solo II with worn out suspension and bald RE92's in the Legacy. This was an exposition day designed to attract "young people" to the sport. The Legacy was able to put down better times than many a modified Civic or other assorted hot hatch.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

azflyboy posted:

Dealers are a ripoff for anything not done under warranty.
I went through the exact same thing, but got quoted $650 from a dealer and only $300 from a local shop.

The local shop had the job done in half a day (the dealer wanted at least 24 hours), and didn't try to sell me extra services, which I've never had a dealer do.

Praise the lord that our local Subie club has several technically inclined members who are more than willing to teach you how to do it. I can now service/change my own brake discs/pads, bleed the brakes, change transmission and rear diff fluid, swap out suspension and perform an alignment. gently caress you local Subaru dealership with your $95 @ hour shop rates. I put that money towards buying new tools.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Blizzaks are only 50% winter compound, and when that wears down you be running on all-season compound. Better off getting a true dedicated snow compound tire.

Tirerack has a few that will fit an 05 WRX for $75-110/tire, which is probably as cheap as you're going to get unless you grab a no name or store brand at something like Costco or WalMart. The Dunlop

Hankook Icebears checking in. This is the performance orientated model that gives up a little snow traction for less boat-like action on the road, you don't even think you're driving on snows. Still works provides forward motion during motherfucker 2 foot snowstorms. As per 1st pic I was pushing snow up to the front bumper though I will admit once I slowed down I got stuck in the driveway and had to back 'n forth 3x to get into the garage.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Mission accomplished, and yes I was driving with the rear defrost ON.

Me-262 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 16, 2008

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004
Tien = LOL. They are the BOSE of the Subaru world, excellent marking with mediocre performance.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

Dr. Ninja posted:

Anyone else made the transition from a WRX to a Forester? Is driving even fun anymore?

I came from having owned a few Legacys and was going to get a WRX until the Forester XT came out. Most of the guys who run turbos in the local Subie club have WRX sedan/wagons, I've been in and driven plenty. One reason I went XT was for the space, there's noticeably more in an XT than a WRX wagon. The insurance is cheaper as well, nobidy drives an XT around here so the rates are barely more than the base X/XS models.Acceleration wise the XT is quicker.

Stock the handling sucks, I just swapped back to OEM suspension (for the winter ) from running coilovers all summer. All I can say is , Is it mid April yet ? That said, it doesn't cost much to make a Forester handle well.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Hmm would those mudflaps help keep water from splashing up on the rear window of a Forester?

Yes, given you don't drive through some massive water hole. While the flaps don't keep as much crap off the side of my Forester as I wanted, they do really cut down on the overall spray. The Forester version seems to stick out further than the Impreza version.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

8ender posted:

We've got about a foot and a half of snow here in Southern Ontario and I just got my snow tires on yesterday.

We've lucked out with nothing but flurries this weekend but looks like the white stuff is coming from Monday onwards.I've been running snows since the beginning of Nov, its the "anythign can happen" month and I run pure summer tires.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Are these studded? Does anyone here use studded tires?

Studded tires won't do you any good in deep snow, they're purely for ice traction. Many of the Nokian tires are available with/without studding.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

nm posted:

HPS is probably better for autox as I think they deal with less heat better though.

No, go with the HP+ and you'll be fine. They take so little time to warm up that usually its only a "first thing in the morning" issue and even then you just press a little harder at the first stop sign. Not like you'll run through it.

The HP+ will grab a lot harder and last a lot longer and they're good for lapping days without too much fade.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004
This is always such a depressing time of year for me. Last weekend I took the coilovers off my XT and swapped back the OEM suspension as well as a set of winter tires. I officially drive an SUV for the next 6 months. At least I was able to sneak in one last track day mid October.

I put Toyo G02+ snow tires on my wife's Legacy last year. Liked them so much I bailed on my Hankook Icebears and picked up a set of 215/60/16 GO2+ for the Forester. Add big chunky winter tire treads to already soft suspension and the Forester wanders on the highway in a straight line, at least its going to be a blast in deep snow.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

jamal posted:

that small pulley is always the first one to wear out, so I suppose it's possible.

At 100k I recommend doing the belt, water pump, tensioner, and all the pulleys.

As in replace all of said parts ? I had a 97 Legacy 2.5, one of the pulleys siezed , belt jumped and smashed the valves/destroyed the heads. $1500 bill thanks to a $20 pulley. Any way to check the pulleys to see if they are on the way out ?

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004
20cm of fluffy snow today started off the season. Got to test out my new set of Toyo G02+ snow tires. They're mushy as gently caress on dry pavement but work nice in the white stuff. Local church has a great back lot suitable for 2nd gear power slides. WRX rims are packed in snow, gonna feel like 4 warped wheels when I drive it tomorrow.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

Time for a little power upgrade to my 07 Forester XT. I already addressed the suspension 2 years ago with a set of coilovers + STI rear sway. Power-wise its nearly stock, only "mod" is a 3 inch catback exhaust to give it that nice boxer rumble. Might be worth 10hp but that wasn't the point of getting it. What's going on this week:

- 07 STI steering rack with only 2k miles + Whiteline steering rack bushings. Not a power mod but a handling mod. XT steering rack ratio is terribly slow, I have to go hand over hand through autox slaloms. This will really liven up the steering response, since its all apart I'm upgrading the bushings.

- Cobb 3 inch DP, they may cost more but you never have to worry if its going to fit or not match up to other parts. I'll have a full 3 inch turboback with the addition of this piece.

- 08 STI TMIC. The largest TMIC ever to make its way here. Same size as the JDM units Spec C IIRC. Comes off an STI that was heavily modified the same month it was purchased.

- 08 STI VF48 turbo, again coming off a low mileage 08 STI. Have to love power hungry STI owners as a source of cheap OEM fitting parts. I would never dream of ponying up $800+ for a turbo.

- Assorted sythetic fluids, OEM filters and gaskets.

- Protune from our local tuner. I'm going with a 91 octane tune as I don't need the hassle of finding 93 octance fuel for an extra 20hp.

All this should net me somewhere between 300-330hp/torques, plenty more than necessary as the XT was never slow to begin with. Funny how this all started off as a plan to get tuned simply to smooth out the power delivery which is peaky from the factory. I kept coming across the power parts slowly over time and wound up with a nice Stage 3 setup. I'm very interested to see what this does for me at autox and track day events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Man I usually try to ignore it, but "torques" is not a unit of measurement. You mean pound feet or foot pounds.

Anyway, what camera mount are you using there?

Let me know how the steering rack is, I can tell you the stock '99 rack is just awful.

I kid, torques is a Top Gear thing. We use ft/lbs here, one of the few imperial hold outs in otherwise metric country.

The camera is a GoPro, good video but eats batteries like a pig and only takes 2gig cards (sees all larger cards as 2gig). They claim 2hrs but my experience even with rechargeables has been 30 mins. The interface is atrocious and its not always obvious to everyone that its recording. I've also owned a Contour HD which is much more user friendly, slide on slide off. Video quality is good , sound quality with any wind noise is pathetic crackling (I use a seperate digital audio recorder). Built in battery lasts much longer.

Gopro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYC5ZcVl0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSzy9M_6P8k

ContourHD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iBrfso3NPQ

The steering rack mod will be night and day. Plenty of other Forester guys have done it and love it. First time I took a friend's STI out on the autox I spun it on the slalom because I gave it steering inputs like I was driving a Forester. He then took the Forester out for a run and nearly missed the first gate because it takes way more steering input to do anything.

Me-262 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 2, 2010