Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

efnii posted:

How difficult is a headgasket job in a 2.5 na subaru versus a more conventional engine? I imagine it's even more of a pain in the rear end compared to a nissan or something. This is something I might have to do to my old subaru which has since passed down to my little brother.

You have to pull the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Maybe because the point that goes over your head over and over again is that the hatch was always a marketing decision and that a hatch HAS no real advantage. None.

Mitsubishi dont compete because they didnt give a team money. They kinda dont have any to give to WRC.

Subaru didnt do as well with the sedan because of two reasons...

1) Cubic cash. If you decided to take a trip to Europe and scan the service parks, you will notice the sheer size difference and hence budgets Citoren and Ford has over Subaru, not to mention Ford basically have 4 teams they use for development, Citroen 3. Subaru? 1.

2) Awful design. Prodrive designed the 05 based on sports sedans and not a rally car. Whoops, that will be three years down the toilet until they worked it out. The 08 is the first car properly designed. On that awful design, the boxer motor may be good in a road car, but in WRC where you can do freaky engine positioning, the boxer is too far forward.

Now in countries that have more money and teams that know a great deal more about rallying than the USA, the EVO IS the better car. And so far the new STI is not able to beat the old EVO's (looking rather doubtful too, given in Finland how many Mitsu's were beating the first Subaru until the drivers had brain fade), while Mitsubishi runners have the new EVO X coming.

Hopefully this is the last derail: Tell me more about this freaky engine positioning with the power of words and pictures please.