Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town
a/s/l? pics pls? ops?

Also a question, I want to change my diff/trans oil soon, what kind of oil have you guys put in your Subaru's that you were happy with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town

Cat Terrist posted:

A lot of why the STI's are being beaten by the Mitsu's come to two things

1) Development

2) Platform.

I think Subaru should make a new, smaller than the Impreza, 2 door sports car to compete in WRC and so that I can buy one.

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town

Krimzen posted:

They are actually. Subaru is developing a small coupe that will also be used by Toyota as a modern version of the AE86. The Toyota will probably be RWD, but the Subaru will probably have AWD as per usual. They are shooting for a low pricetag around $20k too. Won't be out for a while though.

Yeah I've heard about this, but I haven't heard anything about it being their new WRC platform. The Impreza is just too big now I think, not engineered specifically for the WRC like the previous generations of Impreza.

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town

Wrar posted:

The new and 01-07 Imprezas are almost exactly the same size.

According to http://www.cars101.com/impreza.html

2009 WRX 5 door hatch-
Curb weight- 3175
Overall length- 173.8"
Wheelbase- 103.1"
Width- 68.5"
Height (minus rack)- 58.1"

2006 WRX-
Curb weight- 3192
Overall length- 175.8"
Wheelbase- 99.4"
Width- 68.5"
Height- 56.7"

Durr.. so they are about the same size. Looks like the biggest difference in size is the wheelbase, but I don't know if its better to have a large wheel base for rallying, or a shorter one.

Anyways, I just want to see Subaru tear it up in the WRC again :)

funkyboogaloo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 4, 2008

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town

Wrar posted:

Shorter is an advantage. See Puegot 307.

That's what I thought. I dunno just looking at the 2009 WRC car vs say a 1998 or 2006 car it looks BIG.

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town
*** 00Impreza2.5RS has signed in to #flannelchat

OK, I've thrown this around a few forums and whatever, but I would like to know what your take on it is.

After I blew a headgasket, replaced headgasket, started to throw a P0420 CEL (Bank 1)(Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold). If I ever reset the code by pulling the neg terminal, It would pop up again after 10 minutes when the computer came out of "stand-by" or whatever mode it goes into after you reset it. So I finally got around to replacing the cat. The code disappeared for a good 2 months.

One day, on the highway a CEL pops back up. I didn't check the code, just pulled the neg terminal again to reset. No CEL for another month and a half. Then it popped up again on the highway. I went to my mechanic and pulled the code and it was a P0420. Computer said I was travelling 92km/h, RPM's around 2500, etc... Anyways. Code was gone again. Then.. you got it, another month, CEL is back!

It's obviously not the cat, and I have heard anything from gas cap (what?) to either the front or rear O2 sensor. Most people tell me it's the front sensor, and that is nice because that is the cheaper one. I have also heard people telling me to put on a cheater o2 sensor extender thing that puts the sensor farther away from the exhaust and gets rid of that code. I don't want to do that cause when I have to get the emissions test they look at that.

I have even heard people who own Subarus have had this P0420 code, replaced cat, and both sensors, and it still hasn't gone away. I guess the computer is so finicky that if a reading is off .01% of whatever it will throw the code.

Could I be missing something? What do you guys thing is the cause of the code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town

8ender posted:

I think there was a recall for those year Impreza's specifically for it throwing the code so much. Apparently it involved an ECU reflash.

No recalls on my car..

Do I just call my Subaru dealer and ask if there is an upgraded ECU available?

edit- I know a guy who can reprogram GM, Ford, Chrysler ECU's. Is there software available where someone with the right tool could upgrade an Impreza ECU?