Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
DIT has a far bigger effect on fuel economy than a CVT except in a small circumstance where a CVT can do a moonshot ratio on a casual cruise and even then it's more about the engine in lean burn mode rather than the CVT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

That Donut video is complete bullshit about the Williams F1 CVT. The truth is that the car was not timed, not compared to a existing F1 car and had significant reliability issues. The banning had more to do with other systems Williams was working on rather than it was some wonder transmission. That channel spreads so much poo poo

The blunt fact is cars do not work best in the real world droning at peak torque. CVTs are not throttle responsive so they are godawful for extracting handling capabilities. They directly make comparable cars slower and heavier.

CVTs can go straight to hell and should never been put into cars

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Howdy folks. Anyone have a teardown/rebuild guide handy for a 4EAT?

I think I do in a workshop manual pdf. I'll go look

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

[quote="CRUSTY MINGE" post=""527833887"]

But every advancement in automotives always has detractors. Purists bitched about automatics, power steering, power brakes, traction control, etc, as they came to market and dominance through the generations. No reason to think our relative generations won't have detractors.
[/quote]

CVT in no way is an advancement. It is poo poo for automobile applications full stop. EVs are about to make them extinct and that's a great thing

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Looks to be requiring total engine harness. Also all fuel lines on the inlet and probably injectors / o-rings. Might also be some sensors as well.

Not the worst things to replace but a PITA I guess. You will need to take the inlet off to get to everything.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I've owned this car for 17 years. JFC what the hell

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The problem with CVT's is that it's not really rebuildable by the average garage and if they can do it, it wont be cheap either esp if you have replace pumps and pulleys / belts - MRT used to have a video about a CVT teardown for a WRX and it's not a job for the amateur. If you blow up a CVT it's a world of pain

If you can find a low milage replacement, that would be worth a shot and cheaper but I have no idea how you can guarantee if it's good. FWIW, 8900 sounds about right for the full replacement new from Subaru + labor + fluids.

However I think in the USA, didnt Subaru extend the hell out of CVT warranty?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Light towing shouldnt be too much of an issue but anything beyond 500kgs I'd be highly dubious. I've towed up to the full tow capacity of 1400kgs and the CVT wasnt having fun. I know of other owners that melted down their CVT towing similar in hilly conditions.

It does my brain in Subaru says the Ascent can do 2300kgs on a transmission that is already drat near on it's hard torque limit already unladen.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The current stronger Subaru CVT is probably fine, early Ascents should all have grenaded by now otherwise.

It's def not fine. The Hi torque CVT grenades on the WRX and Levorg / Forester, it will grenade if it hasnt stared to on the Ascents as well.

When the CVT in my Levorg death rattles, I'm goign to manual swap

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mutata posted:

Yeah, the question is what else? I want solid winter driving, decent gas mileage, cargo capacity, people carrying capacity, not an SUV, not a crossover, decent clearance and towing capabilities are bonuses, and I want it for at or under $40k. I haven't seen much, unfortunately.

To be faaaaaaair if you got a Outback new or very low kms, the CVT is more or less okay for regular driving and it's not a total bomb waiting to go off until it gets plenty of kms on it. I'd just consider trading it in in a few years time because you are right, there really is gently caress all about that is in reality not a SUV but a lifted station wagon and otherwise a pretty good vehicle.

Crosstreks and Outbacks sell as well as they are not rear hatch compromised appliances and just do what people want reliably that we all wish wasnt lumped with the worst transmission. Which also to be fair does make the car very relaxing to cruise, just more if you want to be a bit more spirited in your driving may not be great

Edit : Oh and jsut a thought, the hybrid XV/Crosstrek isnt bad.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 10, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Subaru bought those plans from JATCO and they’re going to modify it for the next decade unless someone makes them stop.

See also: FA/FB H-4

Subaru have been doing CVT for cars at over 35 years and the Lintronic isn't a JATCO based design - nor does it use a belt like a JATCO.

Why not use an Aisin auto? AWD makes the internals a lot different so you cant do off the shelf like the RWD cars can. Subaru should have modernised the 5EAT and added a gear or two IMO but I'm just a dickhead that owns too many Subarus, what would I know?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

They sure didn’t seem to make very many of them when they were offered.

It was very half assed barely a handful of Kw motor and a tiny battery that took the place of the spare wheel.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MCA. Dial in your budget and enjoy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

If the crush washer appears to be missing, look at the sump hole more closely - the washer may be stuck to the pan and may not be obvious at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Whats the current best turbo for about 400hp for a warmed over EJ20?